Smith and Wesson Model 40 Grips

PDA

TimM
August 29, 2012, 10:42 PM
Earlier this week a I picked up a S&W Model 40-1, a lemon squeezer has been on my 'want list' for a lot of years. The gun itself is pristine but the grips are damaged. I originally thought my J Frame grips would fit but, as you probably already probably know, they don't and I am having trouble finding aftermarket grips for it. I would really like to have a pair of high horn simulated ivory grips (and use a Tyler grip) but I am not hung up on ivory. I just know that I don't want finger grooves.

I also don't feel comfortable modifying standard J Frame grips - I'm not that competent with tools.

Anybody know where I can find aftermarket grips for this little jewel? Any help would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith and Wesson Model 40 Grips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HKGuns
August 29, 2012, 11:45 PM
I love the grips produced by Altamont. I don't know if they make a set for your model though.

Altamont (http://www.altamontco.com/experimental/products/pistol/smith_and_wesson/)

Old Fuff
August 30, 2012, 12:08 AM
I'm not sure, but I believe S&W brought out a reproduction of the model 40 as part of their Classic Collection. If so they might have some stocks left.

Hint: You may not like the grip safety too much if you fire some hot .38 Special Barn-Burners :eek: through it.

TimM
August 30, 2012, 10:14 PM
96 views and two responses (thanks to the two who did respond) but were really unable to answer my question seeing as how I want aftermarket ivory grips and the one manufacturer mentioned doesn't make grips for the Model 40. I guess nobody has an answer for me.

Old Fuff
August 30, 2012, 10:20 PM
Check out Gunbroker.com and even EBay. Also because the original stocks were plain (not checkered) it wouldn't be too dificult to have a pair made, using the original ones for a pattern. If you have the money, ivory is not out of the question.

Anna's Dad
September 4, 2012, 07:21 PM
They ain't cheap, but these should fit and I have read several positive reviews about how much the improve the grip:
http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/Secret-Service-Checkered-grips-for-SW-NEW-Model-40.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith and Wesson Model 40 Grips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!