Sig Sauer as a duty pistol?

PDA

CoyoteSix
August 31, 2012, 12:59 AM
So I'm going into law enforcement in fall of 2013, right now I'm taking the Pre-Requisites. I was talking to one of the instructors about gear (Holsters Belts etc.) and naturally we got to service pistols. I asked him what he recommended, "Glock in a .40" was his answer.

Don't get me wrong, Glocks are cool and crazy reliable from what I've heard. But I just don't Like Glocks! the grip angle doesn't suit me and I just don't get the right feeling from the gun.

So I asked him what else he could vouch for. He also liked the S&W M&P 9/40
I don't like those either..

So I asked him, "What about a SIG?" them being the only handguns I know of with the same reliability record as a Glock.

Unfortunately he hasn't ever gotten his hands on one. So I'm asking you THR, what about a SIG (250, SP2022, or even the $800 p226) for police duty use?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig Sauer as a duty pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kymasabe
August 31, 2012, 01:07 AM
I've had the 250 and I doubt you'd like it. Loooong trigger pull and reset.
SP2022 is a good gun, lots of good reviews. I've had a P226 and was easily the most accurate handgun I've ever owned. The one I bought was an oldy, a old German made one that had gone thru Sigs CPO program, I paid around $600 for it but you'd never know it wasn't a new gun, fit and finish were excellent and it worked flawlessly. As s duty weapon? Well, she might be a little heavy after a long day, it's a big gun.
The M&P's aren't a bad option. Does it have to be 9mm? Have you considered Ruger SR9 or SR40? Or Ruger P345?
If CZ is an option allowed by your department, wrap your mits around a CZ P-07 Duty.

sigarms228
August 31, 2012, 01:08 AM
I am not a police officer or such but if your dept allows DA/SA SIGs and that is what you like and are confident with it go for it. SIGs are terrific pistols. I have never tried a P250 with its DA trigger pull but SP2022, P226, and P229 are good to go.

Since you have a preference for hammer fired pistols check out the HK P30 and P2000 also.

CoyoteSix
August 31, 2012, 01:14 AM
I like 9mm because of the economy. And to be honest I'm a little stuck on the Sig idea.

What I really wanna know is how reliable they are. Or if there are any major problems with low quality ammo for practice. (Remington UMC or Tula/Wolf)

TimboKhan
August 31, 2012, 01:19 AM
Reliability isn't going to be an issue, though I will point out that a 229 is going to cost more. Good guns, but I always have thought they were a little overpriced.

Also, not trying to dissuade you, but weight is a factor on a duty belt and polymer is lighter.

VAPOPO
August 31, 2012, 01:20 AM
I carry a SIG 229 DAK in 9mm for a duty pistol and like it quite a bit. There has been a lot of talk about SIG's QC going down hill but we havent had a problem yet with our 2010 prodction year guns.

Old Dog
August 31, 2012, 01:56 AM
The SIG P-226 is NOT a "big gun." I've packed one as a duty gun for years; in 9mm, with the excellent Mec-Gar 18-round mags, what more do you need? In .40 S&W, the 226 is THE perfect forty.

Hey, it's the same size as the S&W M&P (my department's current issue), a little heavier, but probably the most accurate service size handgun out there. Decocker only, the manual of arms is so simple, even a caveman ...

IMO, the SIG 226 (or even the 228 or 229) is an excellent choice for duty carry.

Overpriced? I don't think so. You get what you pay for, and SIG is quality.

Sheepdog1968
August 31, 2012, 01:58 AM
San Francisco police department carry Sigs in 40 cal. I don't know the model.

Dr_B
August 31, 2012, 03:23 AM
The police in my town carry Sig P226's in .40. That's what they're issued but a few choose to carry Glocks. I have a 226 myself and my father carried one as a duty weapon. They're excellent for that role.

9mmepiphany
August 31, 2012, 04:18 AM
I've carried SIGs as duty guns most of my career. I've carried the 220 (.45), the 226 (9mm), the 229 (.40) and the 226R (.40 & 9mm)

The 9mm guns have always run smoother than the .40 ones. My 220 has always be a bit more reliable than my 226...but double the magazine capacity can be comforting if you cover is far away. If you go with a 9mm SIG, be sure to keep up with the spring changes (every 3500 rds) and don't forget to change your magazine springs too.

If I were starting out again, I'd look very hard at the SIG 2022. It is very affordable (<$400), very shootable (good trigger) and the lighter weight of the polymer frame really does make a difference during a 10 or 12 hour shift. I'd also be tempted to go with a S&W M&P9, as I've found I can run it a bit faster than the SIGs

If I worked in a more rural area, I'd look seriously at a SIG 2022 in 357SIG.

Ala Dan
August 31, 2012, 05:32 AM
I carried a West German SIG-SAUER P220A in .45 ACP as a duty weapon, for a
long, long time. To me, it was the best .45 ACP (DA first shot) pistol out there.
Now retired, I still own it; and it slips into my winter carry mode sometimes.

lechiffre
August 31, 2012, 06:45 AM
them being the only handguns I know of with the same reliability record as a Glock.

Glocks are not magic. Glocks are no more or less reliable than a lot of other quality brands.

4v50 Gary
August 31, 2012, 08:25 AM
I prefer the Sig P220. I carried one for years (mine was purchased in 1987).

Fishbed77
August 31, 2012, 11:01 AM
So I asked him, "What about a SIG?" them being the only handguns I know of with the same reliability record as a Glock.

There are plenty of service pistols out there with a proven reliability record that is as good or better than Glocks (especially considering the 4th gen Glock problems).

The Walther P99 and H&K USP series spring immediately to mind, along with the SIG P-series.

zoom6zoom
August 31, 2012, 11:17 AM
Lots of State and Federal agencies around here carry the 229. It's my daily carry as welll.
SIG, as do other makers, has a discount program for LEOs.

Rexster
August 31, 2012, 12:20 PM
Bless you for wanting to enter the policin' world in these difficult times! I have no regrets; it is a wonderful, challenging occupation, that makes me feel I am contributing to society, but I am glad to be closer to retirement than the academy.

I have carried a SIG P229R DAK on duty since late 2004. I had carried G22 duty pistols from 2002, but instantly took a liking to the DAK trigger, as it so closely resembled a good K-frame revolver trigger. My accuracy, as measured on the qual course, went up small but a notable amount.

My problem is that the snappy .40 recoil, plus the relatively high bore axis of the P229, is starting to really hurt my formerly stronger wrist, whether that hand is the weapon hand or even the support hand, if I am using a modern, up-to-date support hand technique. I reckon all those big-bore magnums I shot in the 1980s are taking a time-delayed toll on my wrist.

I have yet to try shooting a .40 Glock to see if the lower bore axis alone is sufficient to mitigate the pain/damage. I am hoping my chief will sign off on a proposal to allow 9mm as an alternate duty pistol cartridge. Interestingly, the gentler-accelerating .45 ACP, fired from a relatively heavy 5" all-steel 1911, is still a painless joy to shoot, but I cannot go back to carrying a 1911 as a primary duty pistol, worn in the uniform duty rig, due to policy changes.

This is just my experience, how the higher bore axis and the .40 affect me. Mechanically, my SIG is fine.

rodinal220
August 31, 2012, 01:10 PM
If your still in the testing/hiring phase don't buy anything until your hired.The dept GOs will dictate what you can and cannot carry.Some depts issue firearms some make you buy your own.

The_Armed_Therapist
August 31, 2012, 01:14 PM
Never gotten his hands on a Sig? :scrutiny:

I wouldn't get too hung up on "track record." Glocks, M&Ps, XDs, Ruger SRs, H&Ks, Sigs, CZs, Berettas, and more, all have fantastic track records. Your only concerns should be figuring out which one feels the best to you, which sights you like best, which grip angle, ergonomics, etc.

As far as Sigs are concerned, for a service weapon, avoid the P250. They're good guns, but not up to par with others. The 2022 (polymer) and the 226 (steel) are both great choices.

Additionally, it may be a moot point, as the department you join may leave you little choice.

montgomery381
August 31, 2012, 03:49 PM
I carry a 226 in 40 as my duty weapon. It is a solid weapon and can be carried with full confidence. The ergos are great, definitely better feeling than a Glock. But it is heavier than the Glock and S&W. In the .40, with Mec-Gar mags, Glock and S&W have a 2 round higher mag capacity. I chose and had to purchase my Sig and I love it. However, I the heavier gun with fewer rounds does kinda bother me. I CCW a Glock 27 and have shot Glock 23's. The recoil is not bad and the accuracy is great. The Sig is probably more accurate if you are strictly target shooting but when it comes to combat or defensive shooting you don't see a difference in accuracy. Those are my thoughts. As for an answere to your question. Sigs are solid weapons and make fine duty weapons. The 250 would probably require more training to get proficient with due to the DAO, but it is a very smooth DAO. I have heard good things about the 2022 but have not shot one. Also it is kinda heavy, for a polymer framed gun. You can't go wrong with a 226 or 229. Good luck. You also might want to look at the XD's.

CoyoteSix
August 31, 2012, 04:09 PM
So if it came down to the 250 or 2022 what would you recommend? Also does a Ruger 22/45 make a good trainer/ practice pistol for the Sigs? I just need similar trigger and grip style. I know Sig makes the 226 in .22lr and the mosquito, but both are pretty pricey for a .22 for me :banghead:

Sam1911
August 31, 2012, 04:17 PM
Also does a Ruger 22/45 make a good trainer/ practice pistol for the Sigs?Not terribly, no. A Ruger Mk I/II/III or 22/45 has a crisp single-action pull that is not much like any SIG, the controls are different and in different places, etc.

It makes a fine practice gun, but not a "trainer" for any specific gun, except sort of like a 1911, which is what the 22/45 was supposed to more closely emulate.

But it really doesn't matter. You'll be issued or will be told to buy whatever the department that hires you wants you to carry. Not impossible that that could be a SIG, but not exactly likely, either. So don't fret about it. Get whatever training you can with whatever gun you like, for now, and worry about tranferring the skills to your duty platform whenever you actually have a specified duty platform.

rcmodel
August 31, 2012, 04:21 PM
Unfortunately he hasn't ever gotten his hands on one.Then he would be the last guy I would ask for gun advice.

Hard to imagine a firearms instructor that has had no experiance with a SIG!!

BTW: The P226 is our local PD's issue sidearm, and has been for many years.
All the cops I know love them.

rc

CoyoteSix
August 31, 2012, 04:39 PM
Leaning towards the M&P after a little research, that M&P 22 looks to be the best trainer for its parent gun. I like getting trainers because as we all now, ammo doesn't seem to be getting any cheaper.:banghead:

Jaeger
August 31, 2012, 05:26 PM
I've carried a Sig P226 for the past 14.5 years. First a 9mm DAO (different from the DAK-terrible trigger!) then a .357 SIG in both DAK and DA/SA.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the P226 as a fantastic duty weapon. I personally prefer the DA/SA with the SRT trigger but the DAK is quite manageable if you like that sort of thing. I've been our department armorer for quite a few years and while Sigs certainly aren't perfect I have found them to be highly reliable, durable and accurate. Couple that with a .22 conversion and I'd say you will have your bases covered for cheap practice while maintaining commonality of training.

They are more money than many other weapon systems but if the handgun fits you and you are comfortable with it you should try to find a way to come up with the $.

Of course, you may well be told what to buy or just issued a weapon when you find employment...

Don't get too hung up on caliber. All of the popular calibers, from 45 to 9mm are so close in terminal performance as to be statistically insignificant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

powder
August 31, 2012, 05:47 PM
The only Glock I don't like is the G22, the 17 and 19 I've carried on duty and enjoy the accuracy.

Just got into SIGs this last winter, went to one of their LE Armorer's courses for the classic 2xx series pistols. WoW! Snagged an old German trade-in online for like 400, threw in a new parts kit and SRT. Smooth, accurate, and has an uncanny balance in my hand that a Glock does not have. I carry it off-duty in the winter, under heavier clothes. Love it.

CZ57
August 31, 2012, 06:03 PM
If the Glock and M&P don't quite work for you, try a SA XDm. Very ergonomic and interchangeable backstraps to fit the pistol to your hand. Mine is in .45 ACP and it is a tackdriver. I have a Powder River Precision trigger kit in mine that makes the trigger almost as good as a really good 1911 trigger. There are match kits and then there is the carry kit which is more suitable for defense applications. All XDms have a reputation for superb accuracy. Mine is a tackdriver. 14 rounds of .45 ACP firepower. ;)

9mmepiphany
August 31, 2012, 07:57 PM
Leaning towards the M&P after a little research, that M&P 22 looks to be the best trainer for its parent gun. I like getting trainers because as we all now, ammo doesn't seem to be getting any cheaper.:banghead:
If you are looking for a platform with a viable trainer available, you're back to looking at a SIG 226 or 229.

The M&P22 isn't a M&P with a .22lr top end...it even has a hammer and firing pin. It is a completely different pistol, more closely related to the Walther P22.

You should be able to get a LE-trade in Sig 226 for around $450 and the .22lr upper for < $300...or look for a 226 .22lr model and get the CF exchange kit afterwards. Please don't think of the Mosquito as a trainer for the Classic P-series...it isn't

Okiegunner
August 31, 2012, 08:42 PM
I have a LE issue Sig 2340 (.40). It is a terrific pistol. A forrunner of the 2022.

For the best value for the $$$ spent...Purchase the 2022.

NMPOPS
August 31, 2012, 08:48 PM
You didn't say what your department allows. That may have a lot to do with it. Is there a restriction on caliber? On makes or model? Most dept do have some sort of restrictions. If not a Sig is fine, just decide on caliber and model.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

FMF Doc
August 31, 2012, 10:02 PM
For a duty pistol, I would stick to the steel framed P Series, P220, P226, or if you want something a bit smaller, P229. If it were me, and I could choose anthing I wanted, I would go with Sig P226 TacOps in Sig 357, though 9mm isn't bad either.

Byrd666
August 31, 2012, 10:22 PM
Sig Sauer as a duty pistol?

Last I heard, morning of 31 August 2012, The Texas State Troopers, and a quite a few Rangers still carry a 226 .40 as a duty weapon. As well as more than one Sheriff's Department and Police Department in Texas, Ohio, Oklahoma, New Mexico and a lot more I can't remember right off the top of my head.

allaroundhunter
August 31, 2012, 10:29 PM
Last I heard, morning of 31 August 2012, The Texas State Troopers, and a quite a few Rangers still carry a 226 .40 as a duty weapon.

Close... Texas Rangers duty issued pistol is a P226 in .357 Sig, not .40 S&W, but they are allowed to carry almost any sidearm that they choose to qualify with. Texas State Troopers also are issued Sigs (P226 and P229 I believe) chambered in .357 Sig.

FMF Doc
August 31, 2012, 11:12 PM
Close... Texas Rangers duty issued pistol is a P226 in .357 Sig, not .40 S&W, but they are allowed to carry almost any sidearm that they choose to qualify with. Texas State Troopers also are issued Sigs (P226 and P229 I believe) chambered in .357 Sig.
^ Hey...that sounds like my suggestion!

CoyoteSix
September 1, 2012, 03:17 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys! Very tempted by the Sig! I like the sp 2022, too bad they don't sell that .22lr upper the 226 has :banghead:

Also, I have no idea what my local Sheriff or Police dept. offer :D

The_Armed_Therapist
September 1, 2012, 09:18 AM
So if it came down to the 250 or 2022 what would you recommend?

Not even close... the 2022.

Sam1911
September 1, 2012, 10:07 AM
Also, I have know idea what my local Sheriff or Police dept. offer ...Or, what department will eventually hire you and what THEY issue.

Rexster
September 1, 2012, 12:33 PM
If one wants to buy a pistol to get started in building proficiency and familiarity, it is hard to go wrong with a pre-owned Glock G17, as they are not expensive, and if bought pre-owned, can be re-sold with very little loss. 9mm ammo is relatively inexpensive, and really good .22 LR conversion units exist.

It is also my opinion that anyone who can manage the quirky Glock trigger pull can later adapt to any trigger system. While the pull is relatively short and light, making it easy for beginners to do quite well enough, it is sufficiently complex that it takes some skill to truly master the trigger well enough to shoot small groups. Inserting an NY-1 or NY-2 module can help one train for heavier double-action pulls.

Of course, this assumes the Glock is a decent to good fit in one's hand.

The "simunitions" version of the Glock is one of the most ubiquitous training weapons to be found in the USA. I work for one the nation's largest PDs, and
while three different brands of autopistols are authorized as primary duty pistols,
all of the "sim" training guns are Glocks. When I have attended extra-curricular
outside training, the "sim" guns have been Glocks. I figure this is another reason
to have familiarity with Glocks.

This is just my $0.02; keep in mind I an not a Glock fanboy, just recognizing a good utilitarian tool.

Old Dog
September 1, 2012, 02:57 PM
Lots of good advice for the OP in this thread.

I'd offer one more bit (somewhat off-topic) -- during the pre-employment screening process, for many agencies, you just may get asked about your internet activity, specifically social media such as Facebook, Twitter, et al. And the person(s) doing your background screening will check you out! Some applicants might unecessarily give up names of discussion forums they frequent ... Hopefully, you've been discreet in what you've posted on the internet, but I'd strongly recommend changing your screen name -- "kick down doors" will not necessarily endear you as a candidate for a job in many departments. Regrettably, there's also a mentality that doesn't want to hire new cops who've indicated that they really like firearms ...

Just sayin' ... no offense intended.

CoyoteSix
September 1, 2012, 03:37 PM
Thanks Old Dog! after applying for the program I actually went on a purge of all the social media I've been in! :D:D

However I never thought that they would look through forums though! :what:

It's kinda sad that fire arms proficiency has been put on the back burner in most PD's.

Fotno
September 1, 2012, 04:13 PM
It's kinda sad that fire arms proficiency has been put on the back burner in most PD's.

Fact of life I'm afraid. Can't speak for departments other than our local ones, but they've had their budgets cut to the bone, so the money for training/ammo has practically disappeared. My friends and family who get a lot of range time are doing so on their own dime.

Coming from a law enforcement family I don't ever recall department budgets being tighter than they are now.

easyg
September 1, 2012, 05:36 PM
So I'm asking you THR, what about a SIG (250, SP2022, or even the $800 p226) for police duty use?
The 250 might do just fine, but I don't have any firsthand experience with it.

Since I don't care for DA/SA pistols, I wouldn't carry either the SP2022 or the P226.

blookie2
September 1, 2012, 06:19 PM
There is no comparison between a Glock 40 and a German made Sig. Most law enforcement agencies go with Glock because of price. If you want a sweet handgun get you a Sig Sauer P220 .45 cal. Best .45 on the market bar none. be prepared to pay a grand. but you can"t put a price on your life. Heck, I have a Beretta PX4 Storm in a 40 cal and I will put it up against a glock. just my opinion.

postalnut25
September 1, 2012, 08:31 PM
The Sig 226 is an okay duty pistol.

However, I have to buy my own gear from an approved list, and the ONLY sig pistol that is allowed is the 1911. We can carry any of the good polymer pistols, or a 1911, but no DA/SA pistols because of the trigger differences.

On a personal note, I have smaller hands, and the Sig pistols are quite large. They are heavy, too. If I was going to carry something large & heavy on my belt, it would be a 1911 not a Sig.

Rexster
September 1, 2012, 09:31 PM
My employer would consider THR, and similar forums, to be social media. If you kicked doors in in Iraq, Afghanistan, or such places, then your screen name could be seen in that light, but if you have not, well, you have been advised.

I had over 28 years of service, all street patrol, before I kicked my first door, during an exigent-circumstances emergency, involving an imminent threat to children. I have been present for plenty of forced entries, in the past, involving rams and other tools wielded by colleaugues with specialized training. Planned entries are made with the proper tools, as even the most athletic officers can have a hard time being successful on the first kick. A desire to kick doors here in the USA could, perhaps, be seen as a reason to de-select a candidate, depending upon what they are looking for.

Sheepdog1968
September 1, 2012, 09:34 PM
The Sig 226 is an okay duty pistol.

However, I have to buy my own gear from an approved list, and the ONLY sig pistol that is allowed is the 1911. We can carry any of the good polymer pistols, or a 1911, but no DA/SA pistols because of the trigger differences.

On a personal note, I have smaller hands, and the Sig pistols are quite large. They are heavy, too. If I was going to carry something large & heavy on my belt, it would be a 1911 not a Sig.
You can get a SAO 220 or a "226" (I forget exactly what called but it's essentially a 226). I do t know if that would lead to a change of what's on your list.

Byrd666
September 2, 2012, 11:42 AM
allaroundhunter

Sorry. I was typing in .357 Sig, and it came out .40. Was talking to friend about a .40 XD when I was typing. My boo boo.

allaroundhunter
September 2, 2012, 04:27 PM
allaroundhunter

Sorry. I was typing in .357 Sig, and it came out .40. Was talking to friend about a .40 XD when I was typing. My boo boo.

No worries, as I said, Texas Rangers have a good bit of choice in what they want to carry so I'm sure some carry .40s, it just isn't standard issue I don't believe.

Sent from my HTC One X

tomrkba
September 2, 2012, 05:15 PM
Only the 2022 or 226. Avoid the P250.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
September 2, 2012, 06:28 PM
I will be honest, it is hard to beat a Sig....period. I ,like a few of the others, love the steel frame P series. I carry a P220R as my everyday carry. I trust my life to a Sig. I personally will not knock a Glock, they are just not for me. I am not even turned off by the polymer. I just really like pistols with hammers. But between a Sig and a Glock, it is a toss up. Both are great, you would not go wrong with either.

Jimineer
September 2, 2012, 09:45 PM
Appears you have got a lot of good feedback from the LEOs on this forum regarding Sigs and other firearms.

Good luck to you in your career!

If I could only go back in time.....

DoubleMag
September 2, 2012, 11:00 PM
So I'm going into law enforcement in fall of 2013, right now I'm taking the Pre-Requisites. I was talking to one of the instructors about gear (Holsters Belts etc.) and naturally we got to service pistols. I asked him what he recommended, "Glock in a .40" was his answer.

And his answer to most other trainees is, same.

Now here's something you haven't thought of just yet.Is this purchase your duty weapon or is that dep't issue in that case it's a moot point. I would buy a pistol that everyone else has on the dep't. Answer a call and the perp has a rifle you go through 3 mags QUICK. You're out of rounds and one car over a buddie can toss you a fresh mag. Don't be a Lone Ranger with a pistol no one else has, fumbling loading one bullet at a time under stress of fire!

Gives a new perspective to ''emergency reload'' doesn't it?

CoyoteSix
September 3, 2012, 01:45 AM
Very good point Double Mag, actually hadn't thought about that yet. I guess I'll have to see what Dept. I'm likely to join carries!

Thoughts of the Hollywood bank robbery (1992?) come to mind.

9mmepiphany
September 3, 2012, 03:41 PM
While I understand the reasoning, that wasn't the general feeling in my post-academy field training. The general consensus was that most officers would be reluctant to share extra magazines with officers who had expended all their rounds without effect.

In plain speech, that means. "You shoot all yours like a machine gun and you expect me to give you some of mine to use the same way...think again."

I always carried non-standard pistols during my career...they make exceptions for officers who are older than dirt...and always carried extra loaded mags, for my gun, in my duty/gear bag

dcarch
September 3, 2012, 10:34 PM
A local PD here issues the 229. They seem to like it just fine.

claiborne
September 3, 2012, 10:38 PM
US Park Rangers, Special Agents and US Park Police cary Sig Sauer P220, P226 or P229.

allaroundhunter
September 3, 2012, 10:56 PM
US Park Rangers, Special Agents and US Park Police cary Sig Sauer P220, P226 or P229.

And the secret service carries the P229 in .357 Sig, IIRC.

^That might have already been said, if it has I apologize, my memory isn't great and I am just too lazy to read through 3 pages of this stuff again :o

CoyoteSix
September 4, 2012, 12:57 AM
Thanks for all the help folks! I think I'll wait and save money and see what the first Dept. I can get onto will issue.

I think I'll just buy a 22/45 and work on my pistol fundamentals for now:D

Teachu2
September 4, 2012, 01:04 AM
Thanks for all the help folks! I think I'll wait and save money and see what the first Dept. I can get onto will issue.

I think I'll just buy a 22/45 and work on my pistol fundamentals for now:D
Good plan!

Rexster
September 4, 2012, 01:27 AM
And his answer to most other trainees is, same.

Now here's something you haven't thought of just yet.Is this purchase your duty weapon or is that dep't issue in that case it's a moot point. I would buy a pistol that everyone else has on the dep't. Answer a call and the perp has a rifle you go through 3 mags QUICK. You're out of rounds and one car over a buddie can toss you a fresh mag. Don't be a Lone Ranger with a pistol no one else has, fumbling loading one bullet at a time under stress of fire!

Gives a new perspective to ''emergency reload'' doesn't it?
This sounds good, in theory, but reality indicates otherwise, in US domestic law enforcement. Some officers may have indeed sprayed all of their rounds all over the landscape, but accounts of their colleagues sharing loaded magazines with such folks are somewhere between extremely rare and unknown.

Ehtereon11B
September 4, 2012, 07:08 AM
I would much rather use a SIG as a duty gun if I were able. I think I am severely allergic to Glocks. I have more issues with Glock than all other weapons I have shot combined, so their "ironclad" reliability is a moot point to me. Thankfully my department allows me to modify my issue Glock to replace pet peeve areas. Better magazine release, better recoil spring, better sights.

My first choice for a SIG replacement would be the P2022 in either .40 or .357 SIG.

Dr_B
November 26, 2012, 12:53 AM
Lots of good guns recommended here. But having owned many handguns, knowing plenty of local law enforcement and what they carry, and even helping one of them learn to shoot his Sig 226 .40, I think the most important thing is trigger time. Getting a gun that is just like the one you may be issued is secondary. Learning to shoot a handgun well is primary. Probably stay away from 1911's because (I noticed you're in Idaho) not a lot of agencies up here issue those, if any. Double-stack .40 or .45 ACP, and perhaps 9mm's are the way to go. Any one of a variety of pistols will probably be fine.

Walking Dead
November 26, 2012, 10:26 AM
Can't go wrong with a Sig that's for sure. My SP2022 runs like a top. And now that there are plenty of holsters around they are a great carry or duty option for a guy who wants a hammer fired poly gun.

silversport
November 26, 2012, 06:35 PM
While I understand the reasoning, that wasn't the general feeling in my post-academy field training. The general consensus was that most officers would be reluctant to share extra magazines with officers who had expended all their rounds without effect.

In plain speech, that means. "You shoot all yours like a machine gun and you expect me to give you some of mine to use the same way...think again."

I always carried non-standard pistols during my career...they make exceptions for officers who are older than dirt...and always carried extra loaded mags, for my gun, in my duty/gear bag

+1...you missed with all you're carrying and now you want to use mine???...why...to miss some more.?...

Bill

PabloJ
November 26, 2012, 06:51 PM
I would take Glock in .40. The G27 can be used as backup and standard length magazines can be used for reloads. Quality Sigs are expensive and only outfits like the US Navy can afford them. We all know taxpayer pockets are bottomless.

sappyg
November 26, 2012, 07:27 PM
Quote: Walking Dead
"Can't go wrong with a Sig that's for sure. My SP2022 runs like a top. And now that there are plenty of holsters around they are a great carry or duty option for a guy who wants a hammer fired poly gun."

can you point me in the direction of these holsters? I've only found one Blackhawk and one DIY holster supplier for this gun so far.

Quote: Pablo
"I would take Glock in .40. The G27 can be used as backup and standard length magazines can be used for reloads. Quality Sigs are expensive and only outfits like the US Navy can afford them."

meh... the Sig SP2022 is all Sig that I can tell and a good bit cheaper than the Glock. However, Mags are a bit more expensive. About $40 a pop compared to less than $30 for a Glock.

ritepath
November 26, 2012, 08:31 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_Sauer_P226#P229

Maybe an accurate list of LE and Military that use sigs.

ritepath
November 26, 2012, 08:34 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_State_Police

I know the Va state police also carry the 229.

9mmepiphany
November 26, 2012, 08:35 PM
Quote: Walking Dead
"Can't go wrong with a Sig that's for sure. My SP2022 runs like a top. And now that there are plenty of holsters around they are a great carry or duty option for a guy who wants a hammer fired poly gun."

can you point me in the direction of these holsters? I've only found one Blackhawk and one DIY holster supplier for this gun so far.
Here are 22 different Safariland ones from one merchant (http://www.safetybasement.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=sig+2022+duty+holster&Submit=) and 40 from another (http://www.opticsplanet.com/safariland-holsters-sig-sauer-sp2022.html)

Quote: Pablo
"I would take Glock in .40. The G27 can be used as backup and standard length magazines can be used for reloads. Quality Sigs are expensive and only outfits like the US Navy can afford them."

meh... the Sig SP2022 is all Sig that I can tell and a good bit cheaper than the Glock. However, Mags are a bit more expensive. About $40 a pop compared to less than $30 for a Glock.
I think a lot of folks can afford $399 for a duty gun...and I saw one over the Black Friday period for $349

Walking Dead
November 26, 2012, 08:47 PM
Try "Old Faithful Holsters" and "Triple K Holsters" too.

sappyg
November 26, 2012, 10:52 PM
Some great links... Thanks guys. Sig's price point on the 2022 sure does make it a strong option for a duty pistol. The only thing that would be better would be a poly 239.... for a back up of course :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig Sauer as a duty pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!