Aircraft/gun questions for story.

PDA

MicroBalrog
February 26, 2004, 01:36 PM
1.How would you store guns in a Cessna Caravan (ignore FAA/GCA/ATF regulations for the purpose of this one)?

2.What is the practical range for a CC? Can it land in a field?

3.What (US-legal) weapon would you employ vs. an OV-10D (crop-spraying configuration).?

If you enjoyed reading about "Aircraft/gun questions for story." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheFederalistWeasel
February 26, 2004, 02:02 PM
The baggage compartment is aft of the rear most seat in the Caravan and can be accessed in flight, so anywhere I guess.

It has an IFR range of about 970 nautical miles. With 2,020 pounds of payload and one pilot it can fly 910 NM. This includes a 45-minute IFR fuel reserve.Yes it is very capable of landing in a field, they are used extensively in Africa and Alaska where they even operate them from gravel runways!

This is also for a non-pod model Caravan.

Against an OV-10D? Well, several years ago someone shot down a Bell 407 News Helicopter using a Winchester 30-30, two rounds to the center of the body and the turbine began eating itself.

Pilot put it down in a parking lot, all walked away, FBI nailed the perp within a few days.

So I guess any highpowered rifle could technically bring one down if you took out the engine.

MicroBalrog
February 26, 2004, 02:05 PM
This is also for a non-pod model Caravan.

Please explain that term?

[/quote]

Against an OV-10D? Well, several years ago someone shot down a Bell 407 News Helicopter using a Winchester 30-30, two rounds to the center of the body and the turbine began eating itself. [/quote]

What would be your preferred weapons for the crop dusters from Hell?

TheFederalistWeasel
February 26, 2004, 02:11 PM
Some Caravans come with a cargo pod permanently affix to the bottom of the plane, some are slick bellies.

Well if for some reason I just had to take out a crop duster, say a terrorist was in it, no other reason etc… I’d want something 7.62 or higher, high capacity and semi auto.

If I just wanted to bring the plane down I’d take out a Powerplant, but keep in mind it can fly on one engine, it has two.

If I wanted to end a threat quickly and bring it down I’d go for the pilot(s)

MicroBalrog
February 26, 2004, 02:17 PM
http://www.kitparade.com/features00/images/images_6/OV-10D_UU-00.jpg

That's an OV-10D for you, but Uncle Sam has a crop-dusting config too.

JamisJockey
February 26, 2004, 02:32 PM
Please explain that term?

The Cessna C208 Caravan (http://caravan.cessna.com/) can be had with or without a luggage pod on the belly of the fuselage. More commonly it has the pod.
With
http://caravan.cessna.com/graphics/cvan_phpop_freight1.jpg
Without
http://caravan.cessna.com/wallpaper/center_photo_05.jpg

BTW, the Caravan has to be one of my alltime favorites. Its such a utilitarian workhorse, and just deserves respect :D
I was once working in a Tower in Brownsville, Texas. We had a light aircraft (Piper Apache) in the pattern, and a Caravan behind him on final. The Apache landed really hard, leaving parts on the runway, and skidding off the end. The Caravan landed in the grass next to the runway, the pilot got out and ran up to the crash to check on the other pilots (who were okay). :what:

And my choice vs. an aircraft would have to be something high capacity....maybe an AK with 75round drum.

mete
February 26, 2004, 02:40 PM
THere was a case in WWII where and American spotter plane shot down a German spotter with a 45 ! They even had,in the old days, a special cage to fit a 45 to catch the empty cases ! Now in the earliest days of flying WWI, the Brits were initially issued rifle and b ayonet .

TimRB
February 26, 2004, 02:51 PM
I have a hard time believing anyone would use an OV-10 for crop dusting...

Tim

MicroBalrog
February 26, 2004, 02:59 PM
Here's a link:

http://www.ov-10bronco.net/us-state-tour-oct98.cfm

TimRB
February 26, 2004, 03:32 PM
Ah, the *government*...

Leave it to BATF to use an OV10 when they could operate a Pawnee for a tenth the cost. Well, I guess if your only tool is a hammer, and, not coincidentally, the taxpayers will buy it for you...

Tim

Leatherneck
February 26, 2004, 04:24 PM
Well I've had a few hundred hours in an OV-10--both the slick and the Night Observation/Gunship models, and I can vouch that it's a pretty tough bird. Single-engine performance is great, and the older hydro-mechanical flight control system is pretty rugged. Worst fear would be MANPADS (SA-7/16/18:what: ) followed by AW fire to the cockpit. Taking out two engines would be tough. Is the Bronco in the story going to be BATFE's? :evil:

TC
TFL Survivor

MicroBalrog
February 26, 2004, 04:29 PM
I understand they were transferred to the DoS, which uses them in Colombia with DEA and local cooperation. Some innocents get hurt when caught up in the herbicides.

Oh well, DEA, DOS, ATF... same crap, different fork.

I presume the characters will try and concentrate rifle fire on the cockpit as it comes in to spray someone's fields.

JamisJockey
February 26, 2004, 04:31 PM
Leave it to BATF to use an OV10 when they could operate a Pawnee for a tenth the cost
I'm pretty sure they were given them as they were phased out by the armed services. Besides, it makes a much better scouting/observation platform then the average dedicated spray bird...

I've heard that they still have hardpoints....which could be a dangerous feature in the hands of our favorite JackBoot alphabet soup group.
:barf:

artherd
February 26, 2004, 06:00 PM
1) Gimbal mount a pair of GAU-17s out the side of each fuseloge. Tie to a FLIR ball. (hey, you said ignore regs :)

2) about 950miles IFR.

3) Any gun with tracers. .30-06 deer rifle would be fine. You'd have to get close though. Above 4,000feet, I probally can't touch you even with Allah on my side.

entropy
February 28, 2004, 04:09 AM
For the OV-10, a stinger with the squaker disabled. Or have a sniper hit it head on while on a pass, killing the pilot. If on low passes, something to blow some FOD in the intakes. Just suggestions, not to be taken seriously!:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Aircraft/gun questions for story." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!