Safety Heads Up

PDA

asia331
September 3, 2012, 01:47 AM
Heads Up Brothers and Sisters; submitted not as an not a an attack job but strictly in the interest of safety may I pass on the following.

Getting some practice in with my EDC back-up SP101 this Saturday experienced a somewhat significant ammunition malfunction. Firing double action the first 3 rounds of 125 gr .357 Hornady Critical Defense performed as advertised however the 4th round felt rather "stout" (for whatever that's worth) and the action locked up. Swinging out the cylinder and going for a reload the 4 spent and one unfired rounds failed to eject. Closer examination revealed a blown out primer on that 4th round the case of which was jammed against the cylinder wall rendering the sidearm unserviceable until I got back home to the bench. Got the case out with the wood dowel and rubber mallet "drill".
Fortunately the firearm appears undamaged and I re-stoked it with an alternate load from another manufacturer.

I've drafted a letter to the boys and girls in Nebraska to include the carton end flap so that they can conduct their own Quality Control check.:uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "Safety Heads Up" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gamestalker
September 3, 2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the heads up, but this is why I have reloaded for more than 30 years.

GS

asia331
September 3, 2012, 06:30 PM
Point taken. While I do reload, I've never considered doing so for primary SD; I may revisit that.

beatledog7
September 3, 2012, 06:44 PM
One failure of a particular factory round, especially one you really like, is probably not enough to warrant swearing off ever using it again. I doubt if there is a single factory round that's been produced in any kind of volume that has never experienced a failure.

But if it makes you nervous to carry a round which has once failed, so be it. I just think you'll have a hard time finding a round that has never gone "pop" or "Kaboom!" or made no noise at all when the trigger was pulled.

If you enjoyed reading about "Safety Heads Up" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!