Cheap Deuce Deuce (22lr)

PDA

rduchateau2954
September 4, 2012, 09:37 AM
When I was little my father and I would always go up to my grandfathers cabin. Almost every time we would stop my my grandpas before we headed up to visit and borrow his .22 revolver. On days where my ole man would be working around the cabin I would grab the gun, a box of shells and wander the woods all day.

Since then my grandfather has passed, my father has passed, the gun was given to a relative and the cabin was bought by another. I don't speak to this family anymore so both are pretty much gone forever.

10+ years later I can't get that gun off my mind. I don't think I will ever forget the feel of pulling that hammer back. I don't remember what it was but I do remember it was a 9 shot, DA, had at least a 6" barrel and was heavy enough to club baby seals.

I would like to have something like that again. A cheap, rugged, .22 revolver that I can go enjoy at the range. I don't want to win any contests, I don't need to turn any heads, and I don't need to break the bank. I don't even need a DA, I want to pull that hammer back.

Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheap Deuce Deuce (22lr)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jp9mm
September 4, 2012, 09:55 AM
Ruger single six

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=304280906

Remllez
September 4, 2012, 10:08 AM
It may well have been an H&R, many of their .22's models were 9 shots. Or High Standard made quite a few 9 shot revolver models. They were both relatively inexpensive, and made excellent holster guns for knocking around.

Fortunately, both brands can still be found for sale in gun stores, forum bulletin boards and auction sites like Gun Broker.

Good Luck and enjoy those childhood memories!!

clang
September 4, 2012, 10:09 AM
The Ruger Single Six is a great gun and can be considered affordable among the premium .22s.

If you are looking for cheap but good, the following guns might be worth your while:

Used
H&R topbreak 9 shot
NEF 9 shot
(I believe the gun you used to shoot was on of these, probably the NEF since you said heavy and did not mention it was a top break)

New
Heritage Rough Rider

If you decide to go all out, my personal favorites are the S&W K frame guns (M17, M18, M617). They cost a lot more, but if you buy one, you might find it the most often used gun you own.

rduchateau2954
September 4, 2012, 07:03 PM
Thank you all very much! It was not a top break, I do remember that. After a quick google image search I couldn't quite find it. Then I looked at the S&Ws that Clang suggested and these caught my eye.

SW K22
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o264/rduchateau2954/SWk22.jpg

SW1716
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o264/rduchateau2954/SW1716.jpg

It's strange, the only mental images I have of it are looking down the sights, loading it, and the way it felt.

I am going to have to make the rounds at the guns stores and see if I can find that feel again.

Thank you all again,
Ryan

Edit: Yea, those are not cheap! I have thought of one available option. I still have contact with one of my uncles from my dads side of the family. I am going to reach out to him to see if he remembers what it was and who received it. Maybe maybe maybe I can get my hands on the original gun.

Starter52
September 4, 2012, 07:08 PM
Both of the S&W revolvers you showed are excellent guns, but neither is a 9 shot.

tightgroup tiger
September 4, 2012, 07:13 PM
Both of the S&W revolvers you showed are excellent guns, but neither is a 9 shot.

That's a fact. It probably was something else but don't forget about the rugers, you can't go wrong with them. '

There are cheaper ones available though, have fun looking.

rduchateau2954
September 4, 2012, 08:03 PM
Hmm, no nine shots eh? That throws a wrench in the mix.

I contacted one of my cousins on facebook (Glad to discover it actually has a use) and asked her to ask her dad about the gun and who it went to.

ArchAngelCD
September 4, 2012, 10:50 PM
Edit: Yea, those are not cheap! I have thought of one available option. I still have contact with one of my uncles from my dads side of the family. I am going to reach out to him to see if he remembers what it was and who received it. Maybe maybe maybe I can get my hands on the original gun.
I think that's a very good idea. You should try to get your childhood gun back in your hands were it belongs. Good luck...

*EDIT*
Here is a photo of my High Standard Double-Nine, does it look familiar?

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o26/ArchAngelCD/Single-Nine_a.jpg

MachIVshooter
September 4, 2012, 11:12 PM
Hi Standard Sentinel? These were DA 9-shot revolvers with swing-out cylinder, somewhat distinctive in that you pull forward on the ejector rod to release the cylinder; There is no frame-mounted cylinder release button.

They are great guns, I have two. These can usually be had between $100-$200, a bit more for the .22 WMR convertible models.

rduchateau2954
September 5, 2012, 12:49 AM
No, this was a larger frame revolver. A bit less old west if that makes sense.

I got a message back from my cousin. She called her dad and he said he knew what I was talking about. He didn't say what it was but he did tell me who it went to. The problem is that it went to one of more despised relatives. I am going to have to put on my best salesmen suit to have a chance at this one fellas. They don't have a problem with me (as far as I can tell) but I absolutely despise them.

On a possibly good note, I have to figure both their useless sons have a few felonies under there belt by now and the daughter is a hippie liberal so I might be able to buy this back.

rduchateau2954
September 5, 2012, 12:51 AM
Hi Standard Sentinel

That might be it, think I remember having to pull the ejector rod to swing the cylinder.

Edit: do you guys know how to un-block someone on facebook? I think my best shot here is my aunt.

Remllez
September 5, 2012, 10:04 AM
LOL.....2954.....tell us how you really feel about your relatives! It'll be your luck that one of the felonies committed was a armed robbery with the inherited revolver.

On a more serious note I hope you get your gun back, please keep us up to date. It would make a fine story to tell your son some day if you get it back.

Guillermo
September 5, 2012, 10:20 AM
While I don't know the gun from your youth, I can tell you that the K-22 (which later became the Model 17) is one of the finest .22s ever made.

I am not a stickler for pristine blue so I was able to pick one up last year for $290. Expect to pay $600 or more for a pretty one.

Now I know you said "cheap".

I have VERY RARELY regretted spending more on a gun or a tool.

Take your time on the gun auction sites and I bet you can find a great shooter for under $500.

Take your time and get something you love. It will last several lifetimes.

kBob
September 5, 2012, 10:35 AM
Cheap?

Arminus HW7 looks like a S&W, in the dark, if you squint, and don't think about it too hard.

It holds eight shots though rather than nine.

Taurus Model 94 as been around thirty years or so and it is a DA swingout 9 shot.

Besides the top breaks H&R made the Sidekick series that had a solid frame and swing out cylinder like the 900, 929, and 939 and these where nine shot AND the cylinder was released by pulling the ejector forward as discribed.

You might go over to the Rim Fire Central and search around a bit and maybe put up your query in the section on rimfire revolvers. The H&R guys have lots of photos up though they tend to go in for the top breaks.

-kBob

T Slothrop
September 5, 2012, 12:10 PM
It really, really does seem as though you are describing the H&R 929. Nine shot, pull the rod to swing out the cylinder. Came in 4" and 6" barrel variants. I have a 4". Great little plinker.

rduchateau2954
September 5, 2012, 06:23 PM
Lol I so I managed to get a hold of my aunt. Despite a 50yrd old calling me dude multiple times she did say she had it but was not willing to sell it.

She did tell me what it was though: New England Fireworks R92 Ultra

ObsidianOne
September 5, 2012, 06:36 PM
Lol I so I managed to get a hold of my aunt. Despite a 50yrd old calling me dude multiple times she did say she had it but was not willing to sell it.

She did tell me what it was though: New England Fireworks R92 Ultra
Did you make her an obscene offer? Perhaps a replacement? Or was she into it for the sentimental value?

rduchateau2954
September 5, 2012, 06:42 PM
It was pure sentimental value. She said straight up that it means way too much to her to ever sell.

It is a big disappointment but considering a few days ago I didn't know what it was or if it even still existed I am calling this a victory.

rduchateau2954
September 5, 2012, 06:47 PM
As much as I don't care for my fathers side of the family these days I think I can assume that it will be taken care of and I know it will stay in the family.

I wasn't the only one of his kids or grand kids that used it.

Edit: Here it is fellas.

This is the view that I remember of it:
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o264/rduchateau2954/RF22.jpg

Side shot:
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o264/rduchateau2954/R92.jpg

boykinlp
September 5, 2012, 07:08 PM
My suggestion would be to buy one that you like and start a new tradition.

MrDig
September 5, 2012, 07:10 PM
Not certain I can help you find the model from your youth, I can tell you my Taurus 94 with a 4 inch barrel is a great little 9 shot 22LR and retails around 300.00

rduchateau2954
September 5, 2012, 07:22 PM
I have been reading what reviews I can find on the Ultra, seems accuracy is a crapshoot.

Can anyone add anything to this?

Reloadron
September 5, 2012, 07:39 PM
Hi Ryan

With a little looking you should be able to find an identical NEF Model R92. I ended up with one but it is a 2.5" snubby flavor. I loaned it to a neighbor years ago and forgot about it. The neighbor passed away and his kids found it going through the house and returned it to me. They don't cost much, maybe in the $175 or less bracket. Wish I had a 6" version. :)

While it won't be the same little revolver, the memories will be the same.

Yes, accuracy is indeed a crapshoot. Just hope for a good one in good to excellent condition.

Ron

Guillermo
September 7, 2012, 10:40 PM
buying a great gun with some cosmetic issues is, in my never-so-humble-opinion, is the best option.

This old girl was unloved except by one fellow. $395 ($24 shipping) for one of the finest .22 revolvers ever made.

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/304730000/304730146/pix517315397.jpg

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=304730146#PIC

788Ham
September 7, 2012, 11:56 PM
Thats a dandy G, how does it shoot? I know you'll love her.

Guillermo
September 7, 2012, 11:58 PM
just won her this evening.

sending a cashier's check manana

just mentioned it to illustrate that guns with less blue are still available at reasonable prices.

My last one I got for $290.

Just requires patience

MrDig
September 8, 2012, 01:11 AM
I found one on GunBroker

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=304442456

and one on Guns America

http://www.gunsamerica.com/996166664/Guns/Pistols/New-England-Firearms/NEF_R92_ULTRA_22LR_6_BARREL.htm

hope that helps
Bear

rduchateau2954
September 8, 2012, 10:06 PM
I found a few even cheaper than that but after reading reviews about accuracy and quality there is no way I would buy one without shooting it first. Some of them are great, others are junk.

Not a gamble I want to take. I can't think of anything worse then buying a gun to relive my childhood memories and ending up with a gun I don't want to shoot.

Jaymo
September 9, 2012, 02:18 PM
I like the old H&R .22 revolvers. I have a 949 and wouldn't trade it for the world.
I also bought a used Ruger Single Six yesterday. Got it for 200 bucks and am quite happy with it. I don't think you'd be unhappy with a Ruger Single Six or the newer Single Ten.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheap Deuce Deuce (22lr)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!