S&W 10-11; installed oversized hand, now I feel binding & no rotational play

PDA

IMtheNRA
September 4, 2012, 08:15 PM
I have a well-used surplus model 10-11 that suffered from failure to carry up on all 6 chambers. Primarily for fun and a learning experience, I ordered an oversized hand from S&W.

The old hand measured 0.0955
The window measured 0.0980
The new oversized hand is 0.0975

After installing the oversized hand, I feel sometheing binding at the end of the cycle when cocking the hammer in single action. In double action, the trigger gets pretty heavy at the end of the double action cycle. Another symptom is an almost complete absense of cylinder rotational play when the hammer is cocked. Having done some internet searching, I found this is not a desirable condition and is probably caused by a wide hand. Apparently, there should be some rotational play.

When the cylinder is out, the action feels normal with no binding whatsoever. Based on this, I suspect that my new hand throat extention may be too wide.

Am I on the right track? Is the hand throat extension just a little too wide? If so, how do I thin it and on what side?

(I don't have an India stone, but will buy one if a sharpening stone or files are not good enough for this job)

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 10-11; installed oversized hand, now I feel binding & no rotational play" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mnrivrat
September 5, 2012, 01:22 AM
Edit : Gave wrong info

earplug
September 5, 2012, 01:40 AM
S&W hands work by thickness, Not length.
If the window for the hand is worn and you installed a thicker hand the ratchet needs to be cut down to match.
Take the revolver apart and you can see the outside edge of the ratchet through the window with the hammer removed and the cylinder installed.

It only takes a little filing to mess it up or be a hero.
I mark each chamber with a number and keep track of my filing and fitting with a paper chart when i'm working on ratchets.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 10-11; installed oversized hand, now I feel binding & no rotational play" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!