Funky net behavior warning

PDA

Derek Zeanah
February 26, 2004, 07:26 PM
Just a heads' up...

I'm seeing bad ping times from my network -- up to 1500ms on occasion, then back down to 30-40ms as it should be. This is with major sites like Google, and with my online gaming as well. It's frustrating to have 1.5 s pingtimes when playing a character that won't be revived if it dies...

Anyway, y'all probably won't notice, as all the traffic is getting through. It's just slow for seconds out of every minute.

My ISP is looking into it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Funky net behavior warning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Balog
February 27, 2004, 06:37 PM
Hmm, I keep having problems accessing this site. I get "The operation times out attempting to access www.thehighroad.org" messages in Mozilla and IE justs dies. It does this several times, then it goes away. I accessed my PM's, started to reply, and then kept timing out when I tried to send the reply.

As far as I can tell, this is the only site I'm having issues with. I've visited a number of others just fine, including another forum where I posted.

Derek Zeanah
February 27, 2004, 06:42 PM
Yep - had 'em rebuild the line, and had to take the site down a few times for minutes at a time. (read: disconnect everything from the router.....OK, now unplug the router's WAN line from the wall jack...OK, hold on a minute while I call the Covad guy back...)

We reset the router config, then checked the settings. Ping times to the uplink were 40-41ms consistently. Then reapplied my IP block and got THR back on, and saw times jump to an average of 80ms with peaks to 732!

Utilization on the line is something like 30-50% right now, so maybe it's traffic-related. I'm not seeing a hign number of users on the site, but that's the best explanation.

Still looking into it.

atek3
February 27, 2004, 06:45 PM
unreal tourney 2004 demo. Your ping is 2 seconds and you have the lightning cannon. So frustrating. Like trying to hit a distant target with an improperly zeroed rifle, with spotters giving you inconsistant corrections :(

atek3

Balog
February 28, 2004, 12:31 PM
Ok, thanks for the update Derek.

If you enjoyed reading about "Funky net behavior warning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!