A question about the Super Blackhawk?

PDA

mastiffhound
September 6, 2012, 01:04 AM
I was wondering, can a .44 magnum SBH be converted to .357 magnum? I know a new cylinder and a new barrel would be needed but does anyone make these kits or has anyone done this already? I just would like the option thats all. The .44 mag is great but reloading for the .357 mag is cheaper at least where I get my supplies. Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance guys!

If you enjoyed reading about "A question about the Super Blackhawk?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
steveno
September 6, 2012, 03:37 AM
if you have the money it can be converted however it would probably be cheaper just to get a 357 mag Blackhawk

ArchAngelCD
September 6, 2012, 05:56 AM
I agree, it will probably cost you less to just buy a .357 Magnum Blackhawk. If you sell off the .44 Magnum you will probably have money left over for components after buying the .357.

Kyle M.
September 6, 2012, 09:14 AM
If it helps with price any I just sold a 10.5" super blackhawk to my lgs for $435, that same lgs' price on a new .357 blackhawk 4.62" or 6.5" is $450 + tax.

CraigC
September 6, 2012, 11:23 AM
You'd end up spending twice what the gun is worth for a gun that is worth less than it was when you started. Just buy a .357 Blackhawk. If you want the square-backed Super grip frame, one can be installed. Which is a far cheaper and easier conversion.

X-Rap
September 6, 2012, 12:09 PM
If it helps with price any I just sold a 10.5" super blackhawk to my lgs for $435, that same lgs' price on a new .357 blackhawk 4.62" or 6.5" is $450 + tax.

Better enjoy those guys while you can.
I agree with the others who say conversion would just cost more than buying new and it runs counter to what many strive for, bigger in smaller package. I guess you could maybe squeeze a couple more rounds into that big cylinder and it might make more sense.

BCRider
September 6, 2012, 02:46 PM
Wait a minute.....

If you are reloading already for .357Mag then reloading for .44Mag is at most 2 to 3 cents more for the heavier bullet and slight amount extra for powder. Am I missing something here?

Having all that work done would easily cost you as much as a slightly used .357 Blackhawk will run. And then you'd have BOTH guns. Or simply sell the .44 if you didn't experience the "magic" and buy a .357Blackhawk.

CraigC
September 6, 2012, 03:02 PM
I agree, the $400-$500 you'll spend on another gun will buy a LOT of cast bullets!

steveno
September 6, 2012, 03:18 PM
if you think that the grip frame on a blackhawk is too small a super blackhawk grip frame will work on a blackhawk. I had this change made to 41 mag blackhawk and it makes a world of difference in how the gun handles. I don't have big hands but they are still too big to get a full grip on the standard blackhawk grip frame

BCRider
September 7, 2012, 01:23 AM
Ummmm.... let's not forget that a SA grip is intended to put the pinky under the edge? So going with a bigger frame could be counter intuitive?

If you can't wrap your hand or head around this then simply sell the gun and buy a .357 Bisley.

CraigC
September 7, 2012, 12:17 PM
The Colt Navy/SAA grip that the Ruger Blackhawk is based on was designed that way but the various Colt Dragoons, 1860 Army, Colt Bisley, Ruger Super Blackhawk and Ruger Bisley were all designed for plenty of room for all three fingers.

If you enjoyed reading about "A question about the Super Blackhawk?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!