So, after doing some measuring, I can't find a reason to prep this Lapua brass...

PDA

Rmeju
September 7, 2012, 06:52 PM
I just picked up some Lapua .308 on sale, just to see whether it was worth it. I've been quite impressed, to say the least.

OAL has been exactly the same, with the odd piece .001" longer. Not +/- .001", just +.001. Headspace has been at -.004", with the odd piece +/- 0.001". My case gauge measures body diameter, and they all fit in and fall right out. The bullets sit in the case neck exactly where my normally sized brass has them, right at the top of the boat tail. All of the flash holes are perfect. The only thing I noted at all is that this brass came with less of a chamfer than I normally put on my rounds, but based on the attention to detail on the rest of the brass, I'm wondering if I shouldn't change what I normally do rather than changing this brass to fit what I normally do.

I guess what I'm saying is, I would be doing backflips for joy if I could get my sized brass this tight. Do I even need to throw these things in my X-die? Not that I'm opposed to doing the work, and until about 5 minutes ago, I would have never even entertained the thought of not sizing new-to-me brass... but if there's no reason to, frankly I'm almost worried that my results after sizing would actually be worse than what I'm seeing right now.

Anyone have any thoughts on skipping brass prep on new Lapua?

If you enjoyed reading about "So, after doing some measuring, I can't find a reason to prep this Lapua brass..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
egg250
September 7, 2012, 07:13 PM
If the brass chambers in your bolt action rifle,there is no real need to full length size. My opinion only. I have done this with safe results in my .303 British SMLE.

Notice I say "safe" and not "good" results. If you have a load worked up for fireformed brass, you may not experience the same results until the cases have been fired in your rifle.

NeuseRvrRat
September 7, 2012, 07:23 PM
load it and go shoot

Nanook
September 7, 2012, 08:25 PM
load it and go shoot

Agreed. I use Lapua for my 6mmBR and all we do with new brass is prime it, powder it and seat the bullet.

Resulting accuracy is astounding.

It gets better once it's been fireformed in your rifle, as mentioned.

Rmeju
September 8, 2012, 01:03 AM
Thanks guys. High Roaders come through yet again.

beatledog7
September 8, 2012, 07:32 AM
By doing all that measurement and examination, you were "prepping" it.

Walkalong
September 8, 2012, 08:04 PM
As you found out, Lapua doesn't need much prepping. Outstanding stuff, priced accordingly.

rodregier
September 9, 2012, 12:07 AM
Lapua (and Norma) brass come with drilled, not punched flash-holes. Typically you only need to uniform punched flash-holes.

gamestalker
September 9, 2012, 12:23 AM
As for the run of the mil or comercial grade brass, I usually size, trim, and uniform the primer pockets at the very least before the initial shooting session so I can get acceptable consistency on paper. But Lapua, it's good stuff and is made to a higher standard than bulk comercial brass, therefore it should be good to go as is for the initial session.

GS

Walkalong
September 9, 2012, 11:21 AM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the consistency of the case wall/neck thickness that Lapua brass exhibits. This is a big factor for accuracy.

kelbro
September 9, 2012, 02:22 PM
I use it too but for 5 times the cost of Winchester, it should be perfect.

Walkalong
September 9, 2012, 04:23 PM
It nearly is. Most folks who use it are competing at a very high level.

quartermaster
September 15, 2012, 05:02 AM
Don't you wish they made it in more calibers!!!!

Clark
September 16, 2012, 02:03 PM
I have ~ 300 pounds of brass [mostly once fired and/or surplus].
I wish it were all Lapau, and that Lapua made and exported all those different cartridges.
But at Lapua prices, I would then only have ~ 30 pounds of brass.

If you enjoyed reading about "So, after doing some measuring, I can't find a reason to prep this Lapua brass..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!