What's wrong with Rossi?

PDA

firecrackerktm
September 8, 2012, 01:13 PM
I have seen some negative opinions in a couple of threads here, but I missed the reasons why.

I've been considering a snub .38 and see some good deals locally on Rossi and Taurus.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's wrong with Rossi?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ColtPythonElite
September 8, 2012, 01:28 PM
I had a Rossi snub 20 years ago. It was a decent carry piece.

mesinge2
September 8, 2012, 01:30 PM
The older pre Taurus Rossi revolvers are of pretty nice quality. I have one Rossi, a Model 88 5-shot 38 SPL and it has never left me down. My only complaint is that replacement grips for this gun are non-existent.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc401/mesinge2/My%20heaters/168.jpg

mdThanatos
September 8, 2012, 02:07 PM
My experience with Rossi/Taurus has been bad quality. I am not saying all of them are bad but the experience I had was enough to turn me off. I had a Rossi 461 .357 that the firing kept breaking, had to utilize the repair service 4 times so for 4 months out of the 6 that it was under my ownership it was at the repair center in Miami. I have seen others that had issues with Taurus auto-loaders, mainly on the millennium pro the magazine kept popping out when fired.

Jaymo
September 8, 2012, 02:17 PM
I've only owned one Rossi. It was a nickel 68 and it never failed me.
I sold it to help fund a Marlin .44 mag for deer hunting.
I've owned many Taurus revolvers and autos, and never had a single problem with any of them.

SOP is, you buy a Smith and if it breaks, you send it back to Smith and rave about how great their customer service is, whether it takes a week or a year.
You buy a Taurus and if it breaks, you send it to Miami and bitch about how crappy the product is because it broke in the first place, whether it takes a week or a year to get repaired.
My LGS has a like new Taurus 58-high cap .38 that I'd like to get.
Trouble is, they also got a very nice Ruger Single Six that I'd really like to have.
Since .22 ammo is so much cheaper than .380 (you know how this sentence ends)...............

joecil
September 8, 2012, 03:40 PM
I own 2 Rossi Rifles the M92 in 45 Colt and Rio Grande in 45-70. Had a minor problem with the M92 called Rossi, got a return label on the same day and had the gun back repaired in 5 business days working perfectly. Rio Grande is the best fit and finish gun I've ever owned and I own a lot of guns in 47 years owning guns.

Now as for their auto pistols (never owned one of their revolvers) I have a PT92, PT911, and a PT 111 Pro. All three have been shot a lot well over 1000 rounds at least. Never had a problem with any of them.

I've also owned Colts, S&W, Ruger, Armscor, Remington, CZ, Sigs and others some had problems with mixed results on repairs. Rossi/Taurus over the last year seems to have better QC and service faster if needed. The single best CS I found with all of them is Armscor bar none but Rossi/Taurus and Ruger are also high on my list.

MedWheeler
September 8, 2012, 06:52 PM
Never had an "actual" Rossi, but I do own a Taurus M66 revolver I've had since 1987. Only issue has been an ejector rod sleeve that works loose from time to time, binding the cylinder shut. Easy fix (Loc-Tite.)
I'd have no qualms buying a Rossi were I in the market for an economical revolver.

Jaymo
September 8, 2012, 09:55 PM
I forgot that I own a Rossi model 59 and 62. They are .22 LR and Mag pump rifles. I haven't shot them in a few years. They've both been fun shooters.

waidmann
September 8, 2012, 10:01 PM
We've had a 3" adjustable sight 5 shot .38 in the family for over 30 years. Its been passed around as different ones have come of age. Not a bit of trouble.

ArchAngelCD
September 8, 2012, 11:05 PM
I do not dislike the pre/Taurus Rossi revolvers but I'm not too sure about the new ones///

skidder
September 8, 2012, 11:13 PM
I had a pre-Taurus Rossi 971 and never had a problem with it. One of my friends kept bugging me to sell it to him. I finally caved and sold it.
I think they bought Rossi in 1997, but could be wrong. Check the manufacture date of the gun (not sure how to do that :confused:).

mesinge2
September 9, 2012, 09:30 AM
I do not dislike the pre/Taurus Rossi revolvers but I'm not too sure about the new ones
I'm in the same boat. I know about the pre-Taurus models but I have never even handled a Rossi that was made after their acquisition by Taurus. So my advice above pertains to only pre-Taurus model Rossi revolvers. I don't offer advice about weapons of which I have no personal experience.

joecil
September 9, 2012, 09:44 AM
I had a pre-Taurus Rossi 971 and never had a problem with it. One of my friends kept bugging me to sell it to him. I finally caved and sold it.
I think they bought Rossi in 1997, but could be wrong. Check the manufacture date of the gun (not sure how to do that ).

If you go to the Rossi site at http://www.rossiusa.com/find-model.cfm and put in your serial number it will give you that information as well as some other stuff.

CajunBass
September 9, 2012, 10:40 AM
I've never owned a Rossi, but I have looked at them, and I have owned a few Taurus revolvers over the years. IF I was "just looking for a gun", I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't do just fine. I'd check them out the same as I would a Smith & Wesson or a Colt, (there is a "how to buy" at the top of the page) and if it checked out...

Sure a Smith & Wesson is better. It should be. It costs a lot more. That doesn't mean a Rossi or a Taurus can't do the job.

DocRx
September 9, 2012, 11:48 AM
I've never owned a Rossi per se, but I have owned two (still have one, and wish I never traded the other) Taurus firearms. I traded my Taurus PT740Slim in on a revolver (Ruger KLCR .357mag). That pistol was flawless with over 300+ rounds through it, a great .40cal IMO, especially for SD carry. I still own an "infamous" Judge .410/.45Colt, 6.5in that I use for hunting and home defense. Not a minutes problem with this revolver either, and fun to shoot (clays, doves, pheasants,etc. In .410 and deer in .45Colt). I won't hesitate to buy another Taurus or a Rossi if it "felt" right for my intended use. Take care.

mesinge2
September 9, 2012, 12:26 PM
If you go to the Rossi site at http://www.rossiusa.com/find-model.cfm and put in your serial number it will give you that information as well as some other stuff.
Apparently that only works for Taurus Rossi Guns as my SN has no results when I submitted it. :(

Nicky Santoro
September 9, 2012, 12:44 PM
My only complaint is that replacement grips for this gun are non-existent.

Pachmayr Compac. I have them on my model 68. Good fit. I'm not sure they'd be any better than the the drips shown in the picture. I changed them out because my Rossi came with skinny, slippery wood grips which made the gun difficult to hold consistently.

mesinge2
September 9, 2012, 01:30 PM
My only complaint is that replacement grips for this gun are non-existent.

Pachmayr Compac. I have them on my model 68. Good fit. I'm not sure they'd be any better than the the drips shown in the picture. I changed them out because my Rossi came with skinny, slippery wood grips which made the gun difficult to hold consistently.
I was looking for some wood finger groove grips like the ones made by Hogue, no luck.

popeye
September 9, 2012, 03:10 PM
I've only owned one Rossi and it was similar to mesinge2's in that it was SS and VERY MUCH similar to a J frame Smith. My gun had a square butt. I've found most S&W grips will fit Rossi/Taurus guns of this frame size. I'll bet if your gun has a SB the Smith grips will fit also. These are Taurus sambar stags on my 640. The pin hole had to be relocated but the profile fit perfectly.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z49/bignugly77/640.jpg

marcclarke
September 9, 2012, 09:05 PM
Highly variable quality control.

weregunner
September 9, 2012, 11:29 PM
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/rossi-revolvers/6275-lets-see-your-rossi-revolver-photos.html

As a source use the http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/rossi-revolvers/
as a source of info. Scroll down through the archives or scroll down through the threads,recent and old.
This is to be used as a source.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=661453
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=665843
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=662115
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=658923
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=626109
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=632244
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=587047
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=577363

MagnumDweeb
September 10, 2012, 09:16 PM
I've carried and shot a Rossi 462 snub nose .357 magnum for more than three years now. I've fed it the Winchester 110 grain Self Defense JHP and the Remington Green Box 125 Grain JHP (they've done just over 1200 fps out of my snub nose on a buddies chrony once). I've fed it Remington +P .38 Special 125 grain JHPs, I've fed it all kinds of FMJs and it is still reliable and I still carry it nearly everyday in my pocket. Sometimes I carry my Glock 23 in my pocket (yes 23 not 27).

It shoots well out to twenty yards (eight inch groupings on DA, and six inch and tighter on SA). It gets cleaned every two weeks. Regularly dry fired to maintain function and every month I put around fifty rounds through it of the latest JHP I'm carrying. Right now it's the Remington Green Box. And yes my hand hurts after a trip to the range.

It's a good inexpensive beater that I can and do trust my life to. It will get replaced eventually by a Ruger Sp101 2" (I own the 3.16") if I can find one in DAO for less than $400 OTD. Even after it gets replaced it will be made a permanent truck gun (right next to my Taurus PT92 that sits in my glove box 24/7) and reside in my center counsel. I owned an old 817 and sold it to a cousin who still uses it on rare occassion.

I'm a fan of the 462(and 461) and I'll keep buying them if I need them. My fiancee unfortunately doesn't like revolvers and my mom still has her Ultra Lite 85 Taurus that I bought her. So the Rossi might sooner die of rust than shooting.

JERRY
September 10, 2012, 09:25 PM
i had a Rossi 720 concealed hammer fixed sight .44spl years ago. i foolishly let it go. i now have another Rossi 720 non-fluted cylinder adj. sight .44spl. ive ebbn impressed with the Rossis ive owned.

total recoil
December 12, 2012, 12:16 AM
My Christmas preseant Rossi M92 in 38/357 turned out to be a beautiful gun that soots fine and looks great, but will not feed!:cuss:

See my other letter in another thread. The cartridge will never feed into the chamber because it is at too steep an angle. In order to fire the gun I had to load through the breach manually.

Rossi seems to have an engineering problem with the 38/357 model. Mine was just sent back to Taurus, in Miami, for repair. If I knew it would be this much trouble, I'd have ordered it in a different caliber.

I hope Santa leaves Ross a stocking full of spent primers, or coal! :)

DNS
December 12, 2012, 01:23 AM
I bought the 2" 351 several years ago, just after Taurus got Rossi. Works and runs great and i enjoy shooting it. The finish is better than my old model 10 if you overlook all the extra "owned by Taurus" crap on the right side.

Ala Dan
December 12, 2012, 04:58 AM
Nothing

mcdonl
December 12, 2012, 08:57 AM
^^ what ala dan said... nothing...

They are NOT a fine crafted S&W but they are not trying to be.

Some think that because they are NOT a fine crafted S&W that they are not worth buying. Lost count of the 1000's of rounds through mine.

Kymasabe
December 12, 2012, 09:51 AM
I had a Rossi 851 about 5 or 6 years ago. Was a "Made by Taurus" gun.
Mine was a .38 special with a 4 inch barrel, full underlug, vent rib, adjustable sights, and with the finger groove grips. I paid $300 out the door for the thing. Honestly, I never had a problem with the darn thing. It was accurate, trigger wasn't great but it wasn't horrible either. The gun was comfortable to shoot. I just wasn't all that into .38sp at the time so I sold it to a friend who still has it. HE loves it, shoots it fairly regularly and says the gun is holding up well and the trigger has smoothed and gotten easier with use. And now, the gun has thousands of rounds thru it, still no problems with it.
My experience has been a positive one, so much so, I'm thinking of buying another 851 as I recently found one, brand new in the box, at a local hole in the wall gun shop.

BSA1
December 12, 2012, 10:04 AM
A LGS has a Rossi 5-shot 9mm in the display case that keeps calling my name.

Logically the 9mm in a revolver outperforms the 38 Special.

Logically the moon clips makes the Rossi tactically superior to a speedloaders.

Logically the 9mm revolver is a slooow mover and I'll lose my shirt if I resale it.

So logically that means it is overpriced.

So why does it keep pulling at me?

Nathanael_Greene
December 12, 2012, 10:15 AM
BSA1, I dunno, but whenever I see a nice little Rossi, I have to have a look. I've acquired a couple of nice shooters that way, including one of my favorite pistols, a stainless 851 with a 3" barrel.

Water-Man
December 12, 2012, 10:40 AM
I believe Rossi still manufactures their own guns, even though Taurus owns them.

jimmyraythomason
December 12, 2012, 12:35 PM
They are NOT a fine crafted S&W but they are not trying to be.
Apparently,neither are the newer S&Ws.

jimmyraythomason
December 12, 2012, 12:36 PM
I've owned a couple of Rossi revolvers(and several Tauri). Never a problem or complaint.

Kiln
December 13, 2012, 04:57 AM
I've only got one Rossi revolver, it is a new Rossi .44 Magnum with a 2" barrel. At first I disliked it a lot because I was shooting .44 Mag in it, which is waaay too much power in a short barreled revolver. I switched to .44 Special and it is now a great gun that has migrated to the bedside.

The gun is problem free so far but I only have probably 75 rounds through it due to the cost of ammo. For me, this gun is about perfect for what I'm wanting it to do.

The finish is nice, the fit is good, and the lockup isn't half bad. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Rossi revolver and they've got a lifetime warranty, even on used guns.

weregunner
December 14, 2012, 05:12 PM
I own a Rossi 462 and have had it for a few years. It shoots great and I use Golden 125gr. Sabers in it for .357 magnum rounds or Remington or Winchester 158gr.,+P LSWCHPs.

Hoppes Love Potion
December 16, 2012, 12:04 AM
They generally aren't horrible, but for the most part you get what you pay for. I had a Rossi 461 for a while and it got the job done. A little rough but the price was about half that of a steel S&W. I could trust a Rossi with my life. Still, I prefer the S&W.

total recoil
January 25, 2013, 11:12 AM
****************ROSSI*UPDATE******************
My rifle was delivered to Rossi on December 17th.
Yesterday January 24th Rossi's web site still had my rifle on the shelf awaiting repair.
Today January 25th Rossi's web site shows my rifle is magically repaired and ready to ship back to me.
I called their customer service and the lady told me they made two (2) adjustments to the rifle. I'm seriously going to try and define just exactly what these adjustments are. A quick look into the action when I had the rifle shows me there are no adjustment points that are user adjustable. Did they do a "wall-job" on the gun? I'll find out when I get it back in about a week!

Carl N. Brown
January 25, 2013, 12:00 PM
What's wrong with Rossi? It's not custom shop fit and final finish.

I own a Rossi M68 .38 5-shot revolver bought (used) in 2000 and I bought my wife a Taurus .38 5-shot revolver new in Dec 1998. The Rossi has firing pin on the hammer, the Taurus has firing pin in the frame with the transfer bar safety (ye olde Iver Johnson hammer-the-hammer style). Compared to an old Smith & Wesson Model 36 inherited practically unused by a relative, the Rossi and Taurus guns are heavier than the S&W (Checking with the factory, ours are rated as OK with +P .38 Spl ammo) and the double action trigger pull is not as smooth and is or feels heavier. Other than that, they have proven to be good revolvers. The chambers on my Rossi are much tighter than the chambers on my Ruger Security Six.

My wife's Taurus gets fired, cleaned and fresh loads maybe once a year or two; it's a home self-defense appliance. I find excuses to take my Rossi to the mountains or the range for target practice and it is the gun I am likely to carry for protection too. I have not kept a log on usage, but it has been several hundred factory rounds over the years, including reloads and shotshells. I have had nothing to complain about with either gun. When left loaded and unmaintained for weeks, months or occasionally a year or more, they have gone bang five times with no hiccups. I am sure others have gotten a lemon from Rossi or Taurus, or expected to pay mass production price for Colt or S&W custom shop fit and polish, and were disappointed.

premier1
January 25, 2013, 01:31 PM
A thing that I've noticed about most Roosi/Taurus bashers and I stress the word most.They've never owned one,and next all the guns they own are top of the line big buck firearms and they don't want to believe that you can get the same results and spend less money.

SG1
January 25, 2013, 02:39 PM
I've owned a Taurus Gaucho SAA clone which was nothing but perfect in my mind. I traded it because I had the 1911 bug. Actually, I traded it for a Taurus PT1911 which is another gun that has been a joy and is one of my favorite (outside of a crappy finish on the slide).

I also owned a Rossi M92 lever action, .357, 16" barrel, stainless finish, and had no problems whatsoever out of it. Honestly I never shot .38 out of it so I can't speak to how it fed those, but with .357 loads it fed everything; round nose, SWC, JHP. I had 1 round stick on me at the range once. It was very cheap semi jacketed hollow point ammo that I was just trying to use up. Other than that I had no issues with it at all. I ended up trading it because I had no real use for it other than a range toy and wanted something different but I would own another without hesitation if I could inspect if before buying.

I always require a pre-purchase inspection with all guns though, new or used.

el Godfather
January 25, 2013, 06:04 PM
I had .32 Rossi 6" about 20 years ago. Nothing to complain.

PawDaddy
January 25, 2013, 08:58 PM
I have owned two Rossi's over the years. Don't remember model numbers, but one was a 5 shot, blue steel .38 snubby. Beautiful gun. No problems. The other was a stainless .357 snubby. Great gun also. They were both traded for something or other that I wanted more.

JERRY
January 26, 2013, 03:42 AM
ive owned two Rossi 720s...my only regret with Rossi is that i only own one of them now.

xring
January 26, 2013, 10:34 PM
I once bought a new 4" stainless .22 revolver. (I can't remember the model #). When I took it to my pistolsmith to get the action polished, he pointed out the loose yoke fit, and stated that it really wasn't worth the work. I sold it, never having fired it. That was enough for me.

ohsobad
March 21, 2013, 01:13 PM
I have a .357 m877,shoots good but had to make my own wood grips, I made 2 sets would like to sell a set and maybe to gun too!

palmetto99
March 21, 2013, 01:30 PM
I picked up a model 518 a couple of years ago. A j-frame sized 6-shot .22lr. Shoots well. Nice action. Nice little stainless kit-gun. A friend of mine like it so well he searched until he found one for using with his new shooter students. Neither one of us has had a problem.

I've had a couple of Taurus of the years (PT92 and M85) and never had a problem. I traded them away for other stuff.

MagnumDweeb
March 21, 2013, 02:25 PM
I have a 462 that I believe I've had for nearly five years now. It has digest over a thousand .357 magnum Winchester Personal Defense 110 grn JHP, over a thousand Aguila .357 Magnum 158 grain SJHP, over a thousand Remington 125 grain SJHP .357 magnum plus tons of .38 special. It still locks up tight and shoots right.

It's had a little surface rust that i have to keep an eye on but it'll still hold the right ring at twenty yards in single action if I do my part. I bought a 3.16" Ruger SP101 .357 to replace it and never got around to it. Now I want the 2.25" SP101 but I don't when I'll buy that, it's been so reliable. One day i'll have to retire it but I think I have few more years.

TreeDoc
March 24, 2013, 02:59 AM
You get what you pay for. All guns being the same price, would you still pick the Rossi or Taurus over a S&W?

Kiln
March 24, 2013, 08:27 PM
I like Rossi revolvers. I've got their .44 Magnum model R44102 and it works great.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab47/Myguns223/November42012037.jpg

ASCTLC
March 25, 2013, 10:01 AM
I have an old 2 1/2" barrel M971 .357 mag I got from my mother. I believe this is a pre-Taurus model and the star screw will loosen if I don't mild loctite it.

The issue I have is the throat is .001 over size. A .357 bullet slides right through so I don't put LSWC through it. It does fine with all ammo from Georgia Arms 125gr Gold Dots to handload 158gr JSP pushed with W296 to handload Cast Performance 180gr WFNGC pushed with LilGun. I don't baby this thing.

When I get my order of .358 LSCW bullets, I'll load some up and see if leading is an issue. I won't sweat it though as I now have a nice 4" 686 with proper throat size.

The M971 has served me well for a concealed carry cheapie as well as defense while bow hunting and camping in areas with plenty of bear.

Andy

If you enjoyed reading about "What's wrong with Rossi?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!