searching for phrases

PDA

beag_nut
September 8, 2012, 04:00 PM
Hi. I have sent an email to the webmaster of THR, but haven't gotten a reply in several days. I need help searching for "phrases". Perhaps one of the "old-time" THR users can help me. Here's what I need:

Could you please tell me how to search for a phrase? Something like "motor oil" gives results including the word "motor" or the word "oil". I am looking for "motor oil", and not the parts of that phrase. I tried it with quotation marks (like what works on other search engines, such as Google), but that doesn't do the job. Of course, that assumes that searching for a phrase is possible on THR. Is that possible?
Thanks in advance,
The beagle lover - beag_nut

If you enjoyed reading about "searching for phrases" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gryffydd
September 8, 2012, 05:09 PM
Just use Google.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22Motor+Oil%22+site:thehighroad.org

I never use the vBulletin search function.

Mal H
September 8, 2012, 05:50 PM
Gryffydd is right - the best way to do any phrase searches or more complicated searches is to use Google.

Add "site:thehighroad.org " as the first part of your search and Google will only look in this site for hits.

When did you send an email to webmaster, and what was the title of it? I stay on top of the webmaster emails, and I don't believe I recall seeing one from you.

beag_nut
September 9, 2012, 04:33 PM
I sent my question on Sept. 3. The title of the email is "searching".
If you could, please tell me exactly what I need to put in google? Something like "site:thehighroad.org " "motor oil" ?
Is my example full of too many quotation marks?
Thanks for any help.

Mal H
September 9, 2012, 06:18 PM
I found your email, but for some unknown reason it was in the spam folder - not sure why as it looked perfectly legit to me. I'll look into that.

Anyway, the construction of your search arguments are correct, but you don't need the parens surrounding the "site:..." one. It should work anyway, but they aren't required since it is a directive to Google as to where to search, not what to search for.

If you enjoyed reading about "searching for phrases" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!