SP101 crane blemish - crack?

PDA

hardheart
September 9, 2012, 04:30 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/wrezqb.jpg

here is a 10X image from a cheap microscope

http://i48.tinypic.com/28ul45e.jpg

I have not fired this yet, only dry fired about 500 times. My first revolver, been going slow in opening and closing the cylinder and haven't practiced anything at all with a lot of speed or force. I really don't recall seeing this when I bought it, as I likely would have passed on it if I had. When I first noticed it, I thought it was some sort of flaw from the casting, but looking at it through a loupe there also appears to be a hairline crack in the middle of this groove. It doesn't appear to go very deep, at least at the front face of the pivot area.

Should I send this to Ruger for replacement, or is this not likely to cause problems?

If you enjoyed reading about "SP101 crane blemish - crack?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jaymo
September 9, 2012, 04:46 PM
Looks like a blemish where the crane contacts the frame, when open.
My BH has developed one on the loading gate.
It looks too wide and straight to be a crack.

rcmodel
September 9, 2012, 04:51 PM
What he said.

Flop the cylinder open and look where the mark hits the sharp edge of the frame.

rc

hardheart
September 9, 2012, 04:55 PM
if it is hitting, it isn't on the outside edge. That point of contact is a little higher. You can kind of see it in the second pic, it is the bown-greenish line above and to the right of the groove (lousy light source).

If it is hitting to the inside of the frame, that would be a lot better. Looking again at 30X, there is definitely a few small jagged, dark lines in the groove, but I am hoping that is just shadows from the metal getting deformed.

rcmodel
September 9, 2012, 05:06 PM
O.K.

Color it with a black Sharpe and open it a couple of times and see if the marker ink wears off.

rc

hardheart
September 9, 2012, 05:29 PM
tried about 20 times, so far just taking off the marker at the higher spot. Looks like they just had a bad day when casting the crane assembly

http://i48.tinypic.com/i3sx85.jpg

I'll try it out on the range first, I'd hate to have it gone for a month or longer just for something that is likely just cosmetic.

Vern Humphrey
September 9, 2012, 05:30 PM
Soak it in penetrating oil, then wipe it dry. Apply a little gentle heat, and if it's a crack, you will see penetrating oil oozing out.

Zebraranger
September 9, 2012, 06:04 PM
My 2-1/4" SP101 has the same mark, except its a little lower where it makes contact with the frame when opened. That last photo looks like it could be a casting issue.

tightgroup tiger
September 9, 2012, 10:48 PM
What Vern Humphrey said

If that doesn't work for you take it to a larger welding or machine shop and have magnetic particle test done on it.

We used them where I used to work building Locomotives. There nothing to this test and it is non-destructive to the part being tested.

I don't think it is a crack from the picture, but the cheap test is to do what Vern Humphrey said, it works.

Guillermo
September 9, 2012, 10:57 PM
Should I send this to Ruger for replacement

yes

bad blemish
bad casting
crack

NONE should be on a new gun

hardheart
September 10, 2012, 05:31 PM
Does the crane receive any kind of loading when firing? That second casting blemish is pretty ugly, but superficial. It could definitely be a stress riser, but will there be any stresses?

rcmodel
September 10, 2012, 05:40 PM
Methinks it is the result of a crack in the investment casting mold.
I am quite sure it is not a crack in the crane.
Cracks don't look like the one in the photo in post #6.

http://www.ruger.com/casting/T-Process.html

rc

hardheart
September 10, 2012, 05:50 PM
Yeah, that last one is definitely not a crack, my cell phone camera just can't focus on it well enough to show.

Remllez
September 10, 2012, 05:58 PM
If its a crack you should be able to see it on the edge of the crane. It may at some point in the future weaken enough to cause a crack. I agree that it warrants an e-mail and picture to Rugers service dept.

If its a crack they may know about it through serial numbers and previous warranty claims.
Rugers are not the best at cleaning up after casting parts, your revolver is not the first I've seen with casting flaws. In short if it bothers you ask Ruger to have a look at it, it never hurts to ask.

Master Blaster
September 11, 2012, 10:05 AM
Send it in have it fixed Ruger has good repair service and should pay for the shipping also.

If you enjoyed reading about "SP101 crane blemish - crack?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!