Just picked up a S&W 340

PDA

OldTman
September 9, 2012, 07:50 PM
I'm thinking of doing 2 things to it. I want to put in a 14 # trigger spring and I'm seriously thinking of taking out that #$%^&^%$ lock. I'm hoping for some comments pro or con.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just picked up a S&W 340" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Coop45
September 9, 2012, 07:55 PM
I think someone is making a plug for the lock hole. I have a no lock and I'm thinking about taping a Toyota to it to ease the recoil. Yes, I'm ancient!! Enjoy it!!

PuddleMonkey
September 9, 2012, 08:01 PM
I have a no lock and I'm thinking about taping a Toyota to it to ease the recoil.

I love my M&P340 but I am convinced nothing will ease the pain of 357 through it.

That being said I'd love a plug for all my Smith locks.

markallen
September 9, 2012, 11:40 PM
You only need to remove the flag, and spring. The key socket stays in. The only hole that is left open makes a convinient hole, with a syringe, to oil the internals.

fastest45ever
September 9, 2012, 11:58 PM
Great gunsmith got the trigger down to 11 pounds. Using the lower pressure springs actually RAISED the trigger pull.

The lock can be taken out, but it makes the trigger pull a bit weird.

Little slack, and slightly different angle.

However, my gun locked up after about 2000 trigger pulls. Locked up on a snap cap.
So, I would consider getting rid of the lock necessary to make the gun worth for it's purpose.

ArchAngelCD
September 10, 2012, 02:05 AM
Why didn't you just buy a M340 without the lock? S&W has all their Centennial J frames available without locks, I own 2 of them.

skt239
September 10, 2012, 05:58 AM
Great gunsmith got the trigger down to 11 pounds. Using the lower pressure springs actually RAISED the trigger pull.

The lock can be taken out, but it makes the trigger pull a bit weird.

Little slack, and slightly different angle.

However, my gun locked up after about 2000 trigger pulls. Locked up on a snap cap.
So, I would consider getting rid of the lock necessary to make the gun worth for it's purpose.

This is the first time I've heard that removing the lock alters the trigger pull. How would that happen?

OldTman
September 10, 2012, 08:00 AM
Archangel (michael)
Availability and money. I got this for 550 with 2 holsters, ammo, box and papers, no cylinder ring or other evidence of it being fired. Unfortunately, for me, my gun money is limited. LGSs want an exorbitant sum for these (no lock) when theey have them.

Remllez
September 10, 2012, 08:48 AM
The "plug" is being sold by a member of the Smith&Wesson forum, I'm sorry his name escapes me now but if you pop over there and ask somebody will surely point you in the right direction.

Plus they are a nice bunch over there and have mucho knowledge of Smith handguns past and present.

DAdams
September 10, 2012, 11:36 AM
Stop by and say hello.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=282173&highlight=M%26amp%3BP+340

Here is a link to the S&W thread dealing with the plug.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/102217-plug-s-w-j-frame.html

340PD
September 11, 2012, 09:28 AM
Did you need the key to get the gun functioning again? I am sure I have missed them, but this is the first time I have seen a first hand report of a lock failure. I have worked at a local indoor range that has been in existence for about seven years. We have never had a S&W lock failure at our location.

ArchAngelCD
September 11, 2012, 09:38 PM
Archangel (michael)
Availability and money. I got this for 550 with 2 holsters, ammo, box and papers, no cylinder ring or other evidence of it being fired. Unfortunately, for me, my gun money is limited. LGSs want an exorbitant sum for these (no lock) when theey have them.
(Yes, the battling angel)
Here in NE PA the stores are charging no more for the lock and no lock guns. The Retail price for each is the same on the S&W site too. Sorry to hear your local stores are taking advantage of their customers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just picked up a S&W 340" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!