Tell me about the Remington 720?

PDA

jc98ss
September 10, 2012, 04:45 PM
i have read a little on it, but what is the big deal about these rifles.......i know they're rare, but is there anything special about them other than only being 2,427 made?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tell me about the Remington 720?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jc98ss
September 10, 2012, 05:16 PM
from what i can gather, in the early 1940's they were Remington's newest rifle, and a plan to phase out the model 30-S with the 720 was in the works, but shortly after the first 1,000 rifles hit the civilian market, Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Japanese. this prompted the Military to buy up the remaining 720's that Remington had in stock (approx 1500). they also stuck a contract with Remington to immediately begin producing the model 1903 for the expected war time.

has anyone out there ever shot a 720 ?.....i also read they're highly sought after for custom builds because the action is supposed to lock up very tight.

Art Eatman
September 10, 2012, 06:35 PM
You're spread around with posts about this rifle. Are you the seller on Gunbroker?

Captcurt
September 10, 2012, 06:39 PM
from what i can gather, in the early 1940's they were Remington's newest rifle, and a plan to phase out the model 30-S with the 720 was in the works, but shortly after the first 1,000 rifles hit the civilian market, Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Japanese. this prompted the Military to buy up the remaining 720's that Remington had in stock (approx 1500). they also stuck a contract with Remington to immediately begin producing the model 1903 for the expected war time.

has anyone out there ever shot a 720 ?.....i also read they're highly sought after for custom builds because the action is supposed to lock up very tight.
I had a 720 in 244 Rem. They only made 840 in that caliber. It shot 90 gr. Speer HotCores very well. I have also had a few 721 and 722's. This is where the new engineering came into the light. Remington changed the bolt to a recessed face and used an extractor similar to the Garand. This did away of the Mauser style claw extractor. The trigger and safety were considerably different than the 700. They are neat old guns and you should grab a 720 if you get a chance.

jc98ss
September 10, 2012, 08:05 PM
Art, I wasn't sure which section to put this in.......On the car forum where i usually hang out, if you post in the wrong section, everyone flames you.....But, to answer your question, I simply saw a rare firearm on GB and thought i'd ask about it here since it seems every time i google a subject about shooting, there's a link to threads from this site with knowledgeable people speaking in it......is there something wrong with that?.....my first post had a link to the auction, but i thought maybe that might cause a fuss unless GunBroker is a paying advertiser, so i started another thread without a link.

jc98ss
September 10, 2012, 10:35 PM
Captcurt, was your 720 rebarreled to 6mm?.......because according to the NRA Firearms Museum website, they were only produced in .30-06, .270, and .257 Roberts.

Art Eatman
September 10, 2012, 11:43 PM
No problem...

jc98ss
September 11, 2012, 12:31 AM
ok, cool.....i didn't want to ruffle any feathers....either way, i'm a noob to the site, but not to guns.....i will catch on quickly to the site etiquette

Captcurt
September 11, 2012, 08:33 AM
JC

Yes you are right. It was a 30-06. The 244 was in a 725. Too many guns and too few brain cells.

IdahoSkies
September 11, 2012, 06:17 PM
The 720s and the 721s (one of which I have thanks to my grandfather) were supposed to be the first "modern" bolt action rifle. They were designed from the ground up as a hunting rifle, and an entry level hunting rifle at that. They were not a rifle with a military action sporterized, and they were later developed into the venerable 700 action.

The 720s are "rarer" because they were were the forerunner of the 721s which came out as the budget model and standard weapon. As such fewer 720s were produced.

That is what I gathered together when I was looking up info on my 721.

SaxonPig
September 11, 2012, 06:59 PM
The 720 was not the forerunner to the 721. It was actually the last incarnation of the 1917. The Model 30 was the sporting version that was developed from the 1917. The M30 is interesting because it has a true magnum length action and can be chambered in the big boomer range of calibers. The 720 was meant to succeed the 30 but was only made one year (1941) before the U.S. entry into the war stopped production. Few were made. A bunch were grabbed by the Navy for some purpose and never seen again.

I fancy the Model 30 and currently own a pair. One is fairly original (well, drilled for mounts) in '06 and the other is a total custom in 460 Jeffrey (404 necked up). I would love to have a 720, but the last one I saw sell brought $3,000 (unfired in original box) and the one up for auction right now is modified and still has been bid up over a grand. I don't want one that badly.

http://www.fototime.com/84CABBB8153A126/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/52A6D986C20B9E0/standard.jpg

jc98ss
September 11, 2012, 08:44 PM
man Saxon, i'll bet that 460 Jeffrey is a beast.....are the 720's considered controlled round feed due to the Mauser claw?

TfflHndn
August 2, 2013, 09:19 PM
I know that this is an older thread, but the info on this rifle doesn't get stale. I have a Remington 720 in .30-06, one that the Navy bought up at the beginning of WWII. They never got used and were found years later in a warehouse. Someone decided to use them as Secretary of the Navy trophy rifles, awarded to winners of division-level and higher shooting matches, until they ran out. They awarded them until sometime after 1985, as that was when I won mine. The Blue Book of Gun Values will list them at $2000 or more, and other books may have them as well. I have shot mine a grand total of 5 times - kicks like a mule. It's a beautiful gun, both in its appearance and in function. If you see one, look at the floor plate of the magazine well. If it's a SecNav trophy it will be engraved with the winner's name, date, etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tell me about the Remington 720?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!