Better/cleaner powder measure?

PDA

mljdeckard
September 10, 2012, 07:35 PM
With the stack of reloading gear I inherited, I got two powder measures. A Lee Perfect Measure, and an RCBS Uniflow. I set up the Lee, because it had the stand included, the RCBS didn't.

I was using Unique to load .45s and 9mms, and it works well enough. it might vary +/- .1 of a grain. (However, I am finding that Unique leaves a tar-like deposit in my guns, I am probably going to try titegroup when I run out.) But I switched to H110 to load .30 Carbine, and not only did it leak all over the place through the rotator assembly, it made it very stiff in operation. When I was done I had to take it apart and clean it. If I use the Lee for finer powders, am I always going to have this problem, and will the RCBS work better? the stand is just $25......very little compared to how much I am spending on supplies lately. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Better/cleaner powder measure?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GLOOB
September 10, 2012, 07:51 PM
H110 is a challenging powder for probably any powder measure. But if you lap the joint of your PPM, you can get it to work almost perfectly.

Unscrew the joint and put some lapping compound in there. Put the joint back in and work it around till your wrist feels like it's going to fall off. Then clean it out, spritz some graphite powder in there, and reassemble.

I get the occasional crunch with H110. Not even a crunch. More like a little resistance then a snap, whereby a tiny grain or three of H110 ejects out the side at high velocity. :) Still annoying enough that I use a dipper. Fine powders like H110 are very easy to scoop, consistently!

With the very similar sized H335 or larger powders, my lapped PPM is PERFECT. Buttery smooth and not a single spilled grain. Before I lapped it, it was a crunchy sieve.

NeuseRvrRat
September 10, 2012, 07:54 PM
i have never had an issue with my uniflow leaking

i also made my own stand for mine with a piece of scrap flat bar for $free

oneounceload
September 10, 2012, 08:01 PM
They make two devices for the Uiflow - an elevated stand, and a flat piece about 6 inches long that screws flat on the bench top

My Uniflow has been working great for over 30 years - even loading down for 32 ACP and 32 SWL with Unique or Universal

BYJO4
September 10, 2012, 08:22 PM
I've also had excellent results with my Uniflow for over 35 years.

Hondo 60
September 10, 2012, 08:30 PM
My Uniflow has never leaked.
My Perfect Powder Measure leaks with a host of powders (including Tite Group)

The one I use all the time now is a Dillon.

res7s
September 10, 2012, 08:35 PM
The RCBS should work fine with ball powders. If it has the large drum, it might not be as accurate with small charges. There is a correct way to adjust the tension on the PPM so it won't leak as bad, or at all. The instructions can be found on the Lee Precision site.
http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/90058.pdf

dickttx
September 11, 2012, 11:42 AM
I have never seen the Lee stand, but wouldn't the Uniflow fit it also?
A call or e-mail to RCBS would get you the flat shelf mounting bracket for free.

Oops, just looked at a Lee stand on their website. Obviously the RCBS will not fit.

GW Staar
September 11, 2012, 06:40 PM
O.P. How much powder are you dropping in your .45 ACP loads. Unique doesn't leave tar in my guns at all.... in 40 years. Maybe your loads are too light.

rcmodel
September 11, 2012, 09:31 PM
Unique doesn't leave a "tar like substance" regardless of what the load is.

Are you using cast bullets?

Bullet lube grease leaves a "tar like substance" when mixed with powder fouling from any powder.

I am probably going to try titegroup when I run outWhat are you trying to load??

Changing from Unique to Titegroup is like jumping of the freight train to get on the trolley car.

Unique is a medium burn rate powder suited for mid-level to max power loads in any caliber.

Tightgroup is a very fast burning powder more suitable for light target loads.

But instead of a "tar like substance", you will probably have leading!

rc

mljdeckard
September 13, 2012, 11:48 AM
I was running cast bullets, I have switched to copper washed bullets, but I will likely try and stick with Montana Gold FMJs if they work well.

Yeah. Those cast bullets, pushed by Unique, were MESSY. I had just read a lot of reviews of Titegroup that said it burns cleaner.

mljdeckard
September 13, 2012, 11:51 AM
I was running 6 grains of Unique.

aka108
September 13, 2012, 03:08 PM
IO use a Lee Perfect. I was loading some A1680 which is a fine gritty powder. It leaked. For it I now use the dippers. The Lee works beautiful with ball powders. For extruded I find I can only fill the hopper about 1 inch from the bottom to prevent the powder from bridging. Anyway, I've learned how to work with it and since I only load 40 to 80 rds a week I can put up with it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Better/cleaner powder measure?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!