Question about factory S&W grips

PDA

85win
September 12, 2012, 08:55 PM
I just recently bought my first S&W revolver, a model 24.

A few days ago I took off the grips while I was waxing it and then noticed the number on the grips (75) didn't match the last two on the serial number (79). I also noticed that the grip screw had been damaged a little by somebody using a standard screwdriver.

I also saw about a month ago when I bought it new (off a discount internet site) that the grips had a small gap on the bottom and front, but it really didn't concern me at the time. Now I'm wondering if somebody switched the grips.

Are these numbers suppose to match? If they don't will it effect the value? Should I mention this to the gun company that sold it to me new? Or should I just not worry about any of the above and enjoy it?

I appreciate any advice.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about factory S&W grips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
September 12, 2012, 09:12 PM
Are we talking about a real Model 24 made back in the day?
Or a new facsimile of one S&W makes now?

Years ago, S&W grips were mated to the frame, and sanded to match the bare frame.

Then they were numbered to the frame serial number with a lead pencil or stamped numbers so they could be kept together & fit perfectly once the gun was blued & finished.

Today?
I have no idea how S&W does it, but I seriously doubt there is any effort made to match wood stocks to frames, on the few models that still have wood stocks.

rc

Iggy
September 12, 2012, 09:28 PM
S&W no longer numbers the grips to the gun. If you bought one NIB recently the grips probably came with the gun.. The grips are outsourced with no effort to fit them to a particular gun.

85win
September 12, 2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the information guys.

I bought the model 24-6, the last one that was cataloged and was discontinued after the 2011 catalog.

I didn't realize this until a couple of months ago when I got the 2012 catalog. I panicked a little, but found one dealer that still had six in stock. It's my first 44, my first new revolver and first S&W--I really like it.

85win

SaxonPig
September 12, 2012, 11:36 PM
I doubt S&W sanded wood on the frame (and I have never heard anyone suggest they did before now). They interchange between different guns too well to have been so individually fitted.

bikemutt
September 13, 2012, 12:01 AM
I had an older Smith in for refinishing wherein I mentioned I planned on new wood grips. The refinisher, an old timer, insisted I should let him have the grips before he re-blued the gun so they could be fit to the gun, for a modest fee. I complied. Since then I've had several different grips on that gun and placed the ones he fit on several other guns, they all look about the same to me, which is to say they look good.

I've got a pretty good idea the old coot was blowing smoke up my pant leg, he's probably still enjoying a good chuckle having reeled in another young 'un. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about factory S&W grips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!