Please Explain....

PDA

Tahitian.Ted
September 13, 2012, 02:02 PM
What is the difference when a 38-sp cal shell is fired from a S&w 642 or a S&W Mod 10 4" barrel gun in relation to the muzzle Velocity,FT #'s eta ?

If you enjoyed reading about "Please Explain...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
September 13, 2012, 02:18 PM
Hi, and welcome to THR!

The answer is not exact, nor always the same. No two guns will fire two identical cartridges at exactly the same velocity. In general, though, the slightly less than 2" barrel of the 642 will produce something around 70-100 fps slower velocities than a 4" barrel would. (Usually we expect to see about 35-50 fps per inch of loss, with a shorter barrel handgun.)

Tahitian.Ted
September 13, 2012, 03:57 PM
:)That was clear and what I wanted to know. Glad that it was not so technical an explanation that I would not understand. I find ballistics very differcult to understand. So Thanks for that reply. Ted

Sam1911
September 13, 2012, 03:58 PM
You're most welcome!

If you enjoyed reading about "Please Explain...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!