Internal Workings of a S&W K&L Frame Revolver

PDA

SullyVols
September 16, 2012, 11:47 AM
I have a Stainless 617 .22Lr and a Stainless 686 .357 both with 6" barrels and both are the most recent models Smith makes.

I was wondering if the stainless guns had carbon steel innards?

The trigger and hammer appear to be high carbon steel as does the stupid internal lock mechanism, but I don't have the patience or confidence to disassemble my guns to find out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Internal Workings of a S&W K&L Frame Revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bigtubby
September 16, 2012, 12:42 PM
I believe the hand is stainless, MIM parts can be either carbon or SS from what I have read.

Old Fuff
September 16, 2012, 01:00 PM
Prior to the introduction of MIM parts, stainless steel S&W revolvers had case-hardened/low carbon steel hammers and triggers that were flash chrome plated to match the stainless "look." Very early model 60's had all-stainless parts for a short period, but changed quickly when they didn't stand up and wear well.

I have no idea concerning current production, but I suspect that the same hammers and triggers are used in all production for the reason of cost savings.

If you enjoyed reading about "Internal Workings of a S&W K&L Frame Revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!