Be Glad Your NOT This Guy...

PDA

SteyrAUG
January 31, 2003, 05:02 PM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=167670&w=myTopicPop

"Wife said she doesn’t want guns in the house."

Can you even imagine it? I read it over and over and still can't believe it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Be Glad Your NOT This Guy..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
spacemanspiff
January 31, 2003, 05:31 PM
i think that wife needs to up her estrogen and lower her testosterone. all relationships involve compromise, but should never involve conformity.

MarineTech
January 31, 2003, 05:56 PM
This is one of the big reasons that I'm not married. When I feel a relationship is starting to get serious, I make sure that I tell the person that I'm a shooting enthusiast and hunter. I also make it very clear that I will not give up either past-time. If they can't handle that, I tell them "I guess we shouldn't see each other then. Since it's obvious you're not able to cope with that, I don't see us progressing any further."

I've done that twice in the last 5 years.

PATH
January 31, 2003, 06:00 PM
Come with me wife. You+me=shooting range fun!

What? You don't want me to be happy and enjoy myself? Let us compromise. I get my guns and shooting and you get to come shooting with me. Precious time together. What you don't love me enough to go shooting with me. {Very sad look of hurt and betrayal.}

I can't believe you would hurt my feelings like that knowing how much I enjoy shooting. {Walk away with look mimicing death in family}

{Brood and look sad and mope around house for days in deep sadness}

Do not use this technique more than once or twice or it will become useless to you!

CWL
January 31, 2003, 06:06 PM
Sounds like he got busted by his wife after secretly buying several guns. I can see if she's upset about it.

Seems like:
1) he obviously fears her;
2) he snuck around behind her back to start gun collection;
3) she probably isn't going to trust him anymore;
4) a gun safe won't be enough of a compromise since she's angry; and
5) he's going to lose his guns.

Only one person wears the pants in his house, and it ain't him!

Schuey2002
January 31, 2003, 06:09 PM
She can have her dog and wants to get into the hobby of "dog breeding", yet he can't have his guns..:rolleyes:

Another reason why I enjoy the single life.:D

Autolite
January 31, 2003, 06:19 PM
If you ensure that all the guns are all secured, (which blows away the home defence rationale), then that should be a satisfactory compromise. If after installing trigger locks and using a vault or secure cabinet the wife still gets that creepy 'there's-still-guns-in-the-house-feeling' then the argument is lost. The wife will have indicated that she is incapable of logical, rational thought and there will be no solution that will please her short of losing the guns. Logic loses to emotion ... every time ...

Autolite
January 31, 2003, 06:26 PM
"The one who wears the pants"??

Give me a break! What's the guy suppose to do? If he 'lays down the law' the wifey just splits. "Divorce = Hubby's-life-as-he-knows-it-is-over". We're not talking a level playing field here ...

Blackhawk
January 31, 2003, 06:34 PM
I am glad I'm not that guy.

Then again, I don't think it's much of a relationship if sneaking around to acquire guns was thought to be necessary.

simon
January 31, 2003, 06:35 PM
My wife is from another country/culture(Brazil) and has no idea why I like & collect guns.She has never shot one, and is not interested in going with me, and I've asked many times.
However, I told her prior to marriage that there was something that was NOT negotiable,it was guns,and that is that,got no arguement, at that time...
Since then I've gotten 5 more(3 that she bought me, or that she gave the OK on, and even 1/2 the cash) and 2 that I got on my own, and I caught the proverbial SHTF on it,but I still have them & again, its NOT to be questioned,its just one of those things that she doesn't understand,they were a great deal and I had to have them... :D

RikWriter
January 31, 2003, 06:35 PM
Just shows the importance of KNOWING someone...really knowing them...before you marry them. I would never have married my current wife if I had found her political philosophy that much different from mine.

Autolite
January 31, 2003, 06:58 PM
"Knowing someone" before you "marry them" is an oxymoron. Human nature prevents that. Each person, before the marriage, feels that there is something to be gained by the union (or they wouldn't be doing it). No-one wants their prospective partner to learn of anything that might "queer the deal" before the trap is sprung. People who think they know all there is to know about their future spouse are only kidding themselves in an effort to alleviate any uncertainties they might have about getting married. This is normal human behavior ...

Detachment Charlie
January 31, 2003, 07:02 PM
Every time I get the urge to get married again, I just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

Sorta cuts out all that stuff and ugliness in the middle. Know what I mean?

John Galt
January 31, 2003, 07:11 PM
She sounds like a perfect candidate to take shooting. She is making a decision on emotions that are baseless.

Leaving a loaded gun around small children is irresponsible. So is being a hunter who only trains their son in how to shoot. You don't have to get the wife and daughters completely interested in killing stuff, but I think you're obligated to take them to a safety class and one or two trips to the range. Why live with stupid people?

RikWriter
January 31, 2003, 09:11 PM
Autolite said:
Knowing someone" before you "marry them" is an oxymoron. Human nature prevents that. Each person, before the marriage, feels that there is something to be gained by the union (or they wouldn't be doing it). No-one wants their prospective partner to learn of anything that might "queer the deal" before the trap is sprung. People who think they know all there is to know about their future spouse are only kidding themselves in an effort to alleviate any uncertainties they might have about getting married. This is normal human behavior ...

Sorry, but my experience has been the opposite of that. My wife and I (for over a decade now) were engaged for a year and a half before we got married and we did indeed know each other very well.

DeltaElite
January 31, 2003, 09:14 PM
Well my wife gets on me about spending too much money on guns, but she always has her Kahr MK9 when she leaves the house, so I am safe.:D
She believes in self defense and home defense. I am a lucky man.:cool:

Standing Wolf
January 31, 2003, 09:21 PM
Sounds like a marriage with a short future. I'm sure every marriage necessarily includes surprises, but, "Oh, by the way, I have a few guns, dear," shouldn't be one of them.

Hardtarget
January 31, 2003, 09:59 PM
I think we all agree. This a bad situation. He will either capitulate and give up his guns(and EVERYTHING else), or he will stand his ground and probably loose EVERYTHING anyway. Maybe he could move the guns to a friends...then go rock solid against the very thing wifey is set on doing. Then bring it all out on the table...be the man of the house. Tell her its not a debateable matter. Don't even try to be P.C. It almost doesn't matter...divorce is not far down the road. I've seen divorces over less. Too bad there are kids. Of course, he could just lay down..."for the children". What would that teach them? Glad it never happened in my house.
Mark.

Tamara
January 31, 2003, 10:13 PM
First: "I knew she wouldn't like 'em so I snuck around and bought 'em behind her back." Well, gosh, Einstein, I can't figure out why she'd be pissed about that... :rolleyes:

Second: Anytime a relation has hit the "handing out ultimatums to each other" phase, it's time to seek life elsewhere. The first time I hear "If you [do/don't do] _______, I'm leaving", my answer is "Well, see ya 'round, then." If someone's feelings for you are so fragile that they'll split over some trivial item or activity, better just let 'em go now and save the heartache down the road.

SteyrAUG
January 31, 2003, 10:20 PM
my answer is "Well, see ya 'round, then."

Well Tamara, unlike some men, you have BALLS.

And I meant that in the nicest way. ;)

You can crew up with us anytime.

Art Eatman
January 31, 2003, 10:51 PM
I always thought that part of friendships and relationships was mutual interests. How do folks get close enough to one another to be married without some commentary about (in this case) dogs and outdoors stuff and dogshows and guns and/or hunting?

And TV football/car-racing? Or Martha Stewart TV shows? Heck, even Internet time?

My sympathy for this guy? Well, "Sympathy" is a word in the dictionary, located between (bleep) and (bleep). Somewhere between slim and none, and Slim done left town. A typecast for the lead role in "Dumb and Dumber". Hey, maybe he could get a gig on Jerry Springer or on Oprah!

:D, Art

Porter Rockwell
January 31, 2003, 11:03 PM
Hello, too many men act as if they married their mothers IMO!
Those of you that sell things or work the gun shows have seen all too many grown men having to ask permission from the "little woman" on the major purchase of a lousy $25.00 item.
It's purely embarrassing behavior in a public place!

SteyrAUG
January 31, 2003, 11:34 PM
Porter Rockwell, that is so true it's sad. And if the wives aren't busy acting like their mother they act like they are their daughter by whinning and buy me this, buy me that, take care of me.

Jim March
January 31, 2003, 11:41 PM
This is WHY I only date within my own species.

Col. Mustard
January 31, 2003, 11:58 PM
...put the dog in the gun safe. The dog comes out when the wife agrees the guns can stay.

Relax, dog lovers; I'M KIDDING.

Might work, though... :rolleyes:

pittspilot
February 1, 2003, 02:44 AM
I do not tell my wife NO, and she does not do the same to me.

It's a marriage, not a job.

Nathaniel Firethorn
February 1, 2003, 08:46 AM
Read the fine print.

The gentleman snuck 'em in.

It was the lady's home too.

The problem is the sneaking, not the guns.

- pdmoderator

Don Gwinn
February 1, 2003, 11:08 AM
Porter-Rockwell, in my household at this moment $25 is a lot of money. You're right, I would ask my wife for her opinion before I spent $25 on a toy, and if she were dead set against it I wouldn't buy it. I never realized that made me a sissified momma's boy.

I thought it was just that I love my wife and I want to be honest and fair in the way I spend our money. Live and learn.

This reminds me of a manager I once worked for. I had just let a guy walk out the door to talk to his wife before he bought a truck. That's a common excuse to get out the door, but he seemed to be dealing honestly with me, so I paid him the courtesy of not pushing it too much. (He did come back and buy at the agreed price the next day.)

Mike, the manager, thought this was terrible. "Next time, you tell him to take off the skirt and write a check. God Almighty, back when I was married, I didn't ask anybody's permission for anything. If I wanted a toy, a boat, a motorcycle, I'd bring it home and tell her to find room for it in the garage!"

I politely refrained from pointing out that I and the customer were happily married and he was bitterly divorced, but I do get tired of hearing how to be a "real man" you have to cheat and lie to your wife. Folks are outraged beyond any recovery when a politician acts this way toward people he doesn't know, but you want me to do it to the woman I love.

Baba Louie
February 1, 2003, 11:17 AM
Yeah, the "sneaking guns into the house" thing can really jump up and bite ya in the old booty.

Always thought that a good relationship had some degree of honest, open dialogue, both before and after contracts are signed.

Ya make the bed, ya sleep in it.

Adios

pax
February 1, 2003, 12:21 PM
From the guy in question, on p. 4 of that thread:
We have temporarly moved to a very anti gun teritory, the amnisty is up shortly to regeister (Ill up money soon to have spell check). I am stronglly against this for reasons most here will understand. ***Her worries are that I will end up back in jail. Yes Ive been there befor, ***I did my time and have become a decent citizen (Ill get into this more latter). (bold & asterisks are mine.)
So, the guy
made some major purchases without telling his wife.
planned, until his wife found out about it, to break the law and ignore the offered amnesty. Plus, he
is already an ex-con of some sort or another.
Civil disobedience is a great tactic, and there's no doubt that the law in question is stupid. But a married man can't simply break the law without his wife's agreement and strong support. Just as having a roommate who ignores the stupid drug laws without warning the folks he lives with would be a Bad Thing, having a spouse who pisses off the BATF folks is less than desirable. At the very least, she needed to know in advance what he had done and was planning to do so that she could make whatever preparations she needed to deal with the fallout from his stance.

I think the guy has a lot more problems than simply not agreeing with his wife about owning guns.

pax

Blackhawk
February 1, 2003, 07:43 PM
Way to go, pax! :neener:

(But you're cheating by reading all the pertinant information available.)

Well done! :neener:

22x9
February 1, 2003, 08:37 PM
Sounds like my wife and situation.

My wife hates guns and dogs. Guess what I have? Both. It really irks me that she has 2 rooms of kitchen gadgets/crap that she'll never use. Thats her thing and this is mine.

She is so worried that one of my unloaded, trigger-locked, safe-stored, evil guns is gonna unlock both locks on the gun-safe, remove its trigger lock, unlock the ammo safe, load a magazine, insert the mag into itself, rack its slide, point itself at someone and pull the trigger that she doesn't think that her Ginsu knives (which are in one of the kitchen drawers) can hurt anyone.

To quote my wife: "As long as those guns stay locked up in the safe, then I don't care what you have."

My problem now is that 3 yrs ago I buy a small gun safe and it is FULL.

hso
February 1, 2003, 10:03 PM
Finally, someone read the whole dreary 5 pages.

Add to the list that he was in the Virgin Islands where the law required him to register (not surrender, register) the guns, and that he didn't intend to and the gentleman seems less a responsible gun owner and far from a mature adult. He's in the VI to make bucks to move back here to TN and buy a house and he isn't willing to register or send them home. I'm not so sure the wife is in the wrong here.

Tamara
February 1, 2003, 10:38 PM
Why read the whole thread when everything you need to know is in the first post where Enrico Fermi states:I acquired them after we were married and did not inform her until after the fact. ;)

aikidoka-mks
February 2, 2003, 01:41 AM
Dang he sounds like Homer Simspon - Marge I didnt tell you because I didnt want you to get mad.

Going behind her back was not wise to begin with. Dating and marrying within your species is the best thing and being honest as well. Now if the lie hadnt screwed things up, Im wondering if she would still be against guns. My thought is - what is more unpredictable - a large dog or a loaded gun sitting on the table. But what to do if your views on guns change after your married? Now that would suck.

Mark

MountainPeak
February 2, 2003, 02:38 AM
Seems like the majority of the women I meet are anti-gun. At least they have been consistent. They are usually anti-every thing else I want to do.

Kahr carrier
February 2, 2003, 02:38 AM
That guy should hit the road or have been up front when he bought his weapons .:)

Kahr carrier
February 2, 2003, 02:40 AM
But on the other hand people are afraid of guns because of a lack of knowledge, he should take her to the range a let her try shooting ,heck who knows she might like it.;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Be Glad Your NOT This Guy..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!