ruger single six

PDA

shiftyer1
September 17, 2012, 04:11 PM
does anyone know the approximate value of a single six made in 1961? It's a shooter and worn but not abused.

If you enjoyed reading about "ruger single six" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
September 17, 2012, 04:30 PM
Like this with two cylinders, box, and papers?
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/10834721/revolvers-for-sale/sturm-2c-ruger-and-co.-single-six-no-transfer-bar-like-new-both-cylinders

Or like this?
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/10932264/revolvers-for-sale/ruger-old-model-ruger-22-mag-single-six

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11204859/revolvers-for-sale/ruger-old-model-single-six-3-screw-.22-lr-single-action-revolver-2c-no-reserve

rc

W.E.G.
September 17, 2012, 04:35 PM
Assuming no .22 Mag conversion cylinder, probably around $250 to $400 depending on how "worn" it really is. Has it been "converted?"

You are selling to a collector market with such an item, and condition is everything.

CraigC
September 17, 2012, 04:37 PM
Depending on exactly what condition it's in, it could be as little as $200 or as high as $350.

It's only a collector market if it's extremely rare or in collectible condition. Not all Old Models are sought after by collectors. Which is why you can still get them for well under $300.

Jaymo
September 17, 2012, 08:49 PM
Dang, I really did get a good deal when I bought my 1978 Single Six for $225, about a week ago. Mine looks a lot better than the ones linked here.

W.E.G.
September 17, 2012, 09:13 PM
Dang, I really did get a good deal when I bought my 1978 Single Six for $225, about a week ago. Mine looks a lot better than the ones linked here.

OP's gun is 17 years older than yours.
All elements of condition being equal, the older specimen probably brings a few dollars more.

RaceM
September 18, 2012, 11:26 AM
Mine's either a '74 or a '77 (can't remember), bought used, a few scratches and a basically unshot mag cylinder for $250.

forindooruseonly
September 18, 2012, 02:44 PM
There's a big difference to collectors between Old Model and New Model actions - unconverted old models bringing a premium. I believe the switch to the new model with the transfer bar safety occurred in 72 or 73.

robhof
September 18, 2012, 02:56 PM
I got about the same deal as Race a few years ago, mine was on an auction site and was up for the 3rd time, apparently because it was scoped, no one wanted to bid, so I got it for the min. bid $250 also. Info provided didn't mention mag cylinder, so I was surprised to find it in the plastic box they sent it in. I was going to remove the Tasco scope til I tried it and found it to be bright and accurate so it's still on.

CraigC
September 18, 2012, 04:47 PM
There's a big difference to collectors between Old Model and New Model actions....
Again, only if they're truly a collectible. Not all Old Models are a collectable variation or in collectable condition. I have paid all of $200-$250 for Single Sixes and it didn't matter which era they were from. Condition and rarity is everything.

AZ Desertrat
September 18, 2012, 09:35 PM
I think those are whatever the market will bear...my dad sold his for 500 dollars...but anything beginning at about 300 is probably a good deal.

Confederate
September 19, 2012, 05:33 PM
In today's market, and the rate of inflation, buying any quality gun anywhere near $200 is a great deal. If I were going out to buy a .22 shooter, I'd really look for a stainless steel model. But if I got a good deal on it, I could go with any decent gun. The Rugers are so well made that one could easily get a 1961 model that would be in better shape than a 1978 model. Especially if the 61 had two cylinders and the 78 only had one.

Jaymo
September 19, 2012, 06:12 PM
^
The only way a 61 model would be in better shape than a 78 model would be if the 61 model was shot a lot less and was better cared for, than the 78.
Condition is everything. A dog is a dog, no matter who made it. Finish wear does not help value.

My initial comment was merely stating that the price I paid for mine was very good, especially considering the condition. Those Single Six auctions that were linked were some dogs.

The really good deal was the .32 H&R Single 6 I got about 5 years ago for $195.00 at the LGS. It's stainless with fixed sights, fake ivory grips, and 4.625" barrel. Like new, in box. I was shocked when I saw what they're going for now.

If you enjoyed reading about "ruger single six" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!