.455 to 45 ACP Warning

PDA

makkitty
September 17, 2012, 10:11 PM
Can we get this stickied? This is destroying beautiful guns that can never be made again.

WARNING: If you feel ill seeing gorgeous gun that has been exploded, do not click this.
http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/topic/9296/CAUTION--455-REVOLVERS-ALTERED--SHOOT-45-ACP--45-Auto-Rim#.UFfJPVHsdwE

As a Webley lover, this is something that really gets me.

If you enjoyed reading about ".455 to 45 ACP Warning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kaeto
September 18, 2012, 11:51 AM
I've always hand loaded for my Webley. Modern Reloading written by Richard Lee has data for hand loading for the .455. I do both .45 Auto and .45 Auto Rim with a .454 dia. round nose flat point lead slug.

Jim K
September 19, 2012, 05:12 PM
I have posted on that subject several times and each time I have been told in no uncertain terms by the Anglophile Webley fans that I was full of cordite or something, and that Webley revolvers were the strongest guns ever made and could never be damaged by a mere auto pistol round, and an upstart colonial one at that.

Seriously, it is real, folks, and no matter how much Webleys are recognized for workmanship and for protecting the Empire, etc., they weren't intended to take the standard .45 ACP pressure.

And not only .45 ACP. The British War Office warned troops NOT to fire the .455 Webley Auto Pistol cartridge in .455 revolvers. (Unlike the .45 ACP, the .455 Auto round is semi-rimmed and will fit and fire in .455 revolvers, but with possible disastrous results.)

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about ".455 to 45 ACP Warning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!