S&W Model 25-5 .45 colt

PDA

dbublitz
September 18, 2012, 11:38 AM
Any thoughts good or bad? The one i'm looking at has the 8 3/8" barrel(lets hear the dirty harry jokes!). Its in really good condition with some wear on the grips, and serial #82NXXX(anyone know approx. manf. date?). My big concern is reliaility for what I'm paying($800 range) is it worth it or pass? How was Smith and Wessons quality during this time period? Thanks guys for all the help/info. BTW this will be used as a shooter and not a closet queen.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Model 25-5 .45 colt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rehorne
September 18, 2012, 11:47 AM
Absolutly Love mine! Just don't go crazy with the 45 Colt RUGER and TC only loads.
The locking bolt cuts make the cylinder a little thin for those loads.

highlander 5
September 18, 2012, 11:49 AM
Can't comment on the price but I had one years ao good shooter but I wouldn't run any Ruger level loads thru it The cylinder walls are thin and the cuts for the bolt stops are on the chamber walls rather tha between then as on the Ruger 45 Colt pistol. Check the diameter of your chamber mouths as well as they may be .454 or bigger. This is if you plan to reload for it as well.

ArchAngelCD
September 18, 2012, 11:53 AM
Where I live that price is about $200 too high for a used M625. That price is just about what new would cost you here.

As for it being a good gun, I think it's a great gun. nothing wrong with a DA .45 Colt revolver...

Quoheleth
September 18, 2012, 11:54 AM
I paid that for a 6" two years ago. Beautiful gun - truly a target grade. Sold it because it was just too big for my hands. Pity... Some days I kick myself for selling it, but it's gone now.

Q

cpt-t
September 18, 2012, 01:00 PM
DBUBLITZ: You are going to love it, don`t let it get by. They didn`t make a lot of the 8 3/8 in barreled guns. I love long barrel pistoles and I also love the 45 LC. I wish it were me buying the gun. I hunt with mine I use a shoulder holster very comfortable. Keep me posted again I envy you. GOOD LUCK TO YOU : ken

critter
September 18, 2012, 03:35 PM
I have one. A couple of years ago, I used it deer hunting. I handgun a lot and wanted to shoot one with my handloads and iron sights.

Got a good chance at one at 50 yds and put one in the shoulder. It exited the off side in the short ribs. (255 gr hard cast over a charge of 231 at about 900 FPS) Needless to say, it didn't go far.

Mine is a tackdriver. Price seems a little high for this area. Don't know about yours.

SaxonPig
September 18, 2012, 04:34 PM
The 25-5 in 4" is a great holster gun but I never understood having a barrel longer than 4" with the 45 Colt cartridge.

I got this one from a dealer about 3 months ago for $550.

http://www.fototime.com/78D4A9D58DC0DED/standard.jpg

19-3Ben
September 18, 2012, 06:51 PM
but I never understood having a barrel longer than 4" with the 45 Colt cartridge.

You mean with that cartridge in particular? If so, I have to ask, why not?

I would think that the longer barrel would provide increase sight radius for more accurate shooting, and more complete powder burn for higher velocity.

Of course that comes with the obvious trade offs. But I'm curious why specifically in the .45LC you don't see the benefits.

USSR
September 18, 2012, 09:11 PM
Quote:
but I never understood having a barrel longer than 4" with the 45 Colt cartridge.

You mean with that cartridge in particular? If so, I have to ask, why not?

I would think that the longer barrel would provide increase sight radius for more accurate shooting, and more complete powder burn for higher velocity.

Of course that comes with the obvious trade offs. But I'm curious why specifically in the .45LC you don't see the benefits.

I have a 6" barreled S&W 25-5 that I use for deer hunting, and the increased sight radius and velocity is appreciated. No cowboy loads in my revolver. I load home cast 265gr hollowpoints at about 1050fps, and deer fall like being struck with the hammer of Thor.

Don

VINTAGE-SLOTCARS
September 19, 2012, 12:54 AM
I bought a 4" one from a friend 25 years ago for $300. I really enjoy shooting it with mild loads. I also shoot 2 Rugers in 45 colt. My hot loads have jacketed bullets so I dont confuse my loads. This has always been a blast to shoot. This is one revolver I will never sell or trade.

CajunBass
September 19, 2012, 04:24 AM
I paid about that for a 4", 25-5 a couple of years ago. Great shooter, and even better looking, but I never warmed up to it, mostly because of the heavy barrel. The gun just never felt balanced to me. I sold it to someone who loved it, and he's happy with it.

Several months later, I stumbled on a 25-13, "Mountain Gun" used at my LGS. Lock be hanged, I liked that gun. The 4" tapered barrel was just enough lighter to make it feel like a totally differen gun. Shoots just as well as the other one.

I wouldn't lose a gun I wanted over a few bucks.

SaxonPig
September 19, 2012, 08:31 AM
Hot rodding the 45 Colt in a 25-5 is unwise. The chamber walls are very thin under the bolt notches. With reasonable loads the 4" version makes a great carry gun, but I see no need for a longer barrel with a relatively low intensity cartridge like the 45 Colt. A long barrel is useful with a Magnum caliber but trying to make the 45 Colt into a Magnum is not a good idea.

USSR's 265@1050 load would worry me a bit in a 25-5 but apparently he's getting away with it. I don't see a reason to push the 45 Colt. I have a 44 Magnum if I want Magnum velocities.

USSR
September 19, 2012, 10:07 AM
Hot rodding the 45 Colt in a 25-5 is unwise. The chamber walls are very thin under the bolt notches.

I restrict my loads to about 23k psi, as the S&W 25-2 is rated for .45ACP +P which generates up to 23k of pressure.

Here is what John Linebaugh has to say about the S&W 25-5:

In reality the Model 25-5 is about 80% as strong as the Model 29 in the cylinder area. The frames are the same and are designed for a 40,000 psi load level even though we know this is a bit more than they are happy with. It's too bad S&W built a 40,00 psi cylinder and installed it in a 30,000 psi frame, so to speak. (note: since this writing S&W has worked on the problem of the cylinder unlatching and rolling back under recoil after it gets a bit worn) The 25-5 in .45 Colt is safe to 80% of the 40,000 psi of the .44 Magnum Model 29. This allows a load of 32,000 psi in this frame. I have shot hundreds of the 32,000 psi class loads listed at the beginning of this article in several Model 25-5's. Recoil is heavy due to the S&W "hump" on the grip, but I do not see these loads as being dangerous in this fine gun. I do consider 32,000 to be ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM for this gun and prefer to hold my personal loads to 5% under those listed loads for approximately 25,000 psi. I carry a S&W 4" in .45 Colt daily and shoot a 260 gr. Keith at 900 fps for general duty. When I saddle up and go into the hills I pack the same gun with a 310 gr. NEI Keith over 23 gr. H-110. This gives me about 1080 fps and all the punch I need for anything on our mountain. As with any gun and load data, work up carefully. I assume responsibility only for the ammo I myself assemble.

Don

TonyT
September 19, 2012, 10:40 AM
I had a 8 3/8 inch S&W 25-5 in 45 Colt. It was a very accurate revolver. The bonly reason I sold it was to reduce my inventory of reloading components.

Shimitup
September 19, 2012, 10:44 PM
I'm still kicking myself for not buying one from an HPD officer back in 1978. It was his duty weapon with just the right amount of character from holster wear. He offered it to me for $200. I had just sold him my 1911 Gold Cup, and kicking myself for doing that as well. I shot his 25-5 many times at the range and it was a really sweet shooter.

unspellable
September 19, 2012, 11:19 PM
The reason for avoiding +P+ loads in the S&W is not pressure. Actual testing to catastrophic failure shows that the S&W and Ruger Blackhawk both fail at around 60,000 psi.

The real reason is the S&W method of locating the cylinder fore and aft. The tail of the yoke has a very small area bearing on the bottom of the cylinder well, the S&W (In any caliber) Achille's heel. The 45 yoke tail and cylinder well bottom do not reciieve tha same heat treatment as the 44 Mag. (At least in the past.) The S&W will take loads a bit hotter than factory but not at the levels recommended for the Blachawk. The reult of such abuse will not be a blown cylinder but prematurely excessive end shake.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Model 25-5 .45 colt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!