Why is the General Handgun forum only 6 threads long?

PDA

Certaindeaf
September 18, 2012, 10:21 PM
That seems odd when "handgun", of course, includes both pistol and revolver. Maybe just scrap it? The reloading forum is many tens of pages long.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why is the General Handgun forum only 6 threads long?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
September 18, 2012, 10:30 PM
The General Handgun forum can be as little as 6 threads in depth or as much as 15,000+ threads in depth. It all depends on what your "Thread Age Cutoff" is set to. You obviously have it set to "Last Day". Make that parameter a little longer and the number of threads on a page will magically change.

Suggesting that a forum be discontinued based on how many threads any one member is viewing doesn't make much sense, does it?

Certaindeaf
September 19, 2012, 12:52 AM
Ah, I pretty much see. Thank you.

R.Greene
March 27, 2014, 02:32 PM
Don't know if I should have started a new thread, but I have a similar question/suggestion:

The "Default Thread Age Cut Off" for most forums seems to be set to Last Day only. I think the forums would benefit if this default setting was changed to a longer interval.

I know I can change this in the User Options : Settings and Options : Edit Options (http://www.thehighroad.org/profile.php?do=editoptions) to my personal preference, but I also think that if most people saw more threads by default, it would promote more discussions. Currently the Handguns: General Discussion forum shows 8 thread, 2 of them Stickies.

Another thing - When using TapaTalk on Android, the forums display the number of threads based on what I've set in my settings above, but those settings can not be changed without accessing them thru a browser. Until I figured that out, I was stuck with 6 threads per forum, or so.

EDIT: maybe i haven't been here enough to suggest things just yet ;)

Mal H
March 27, 2014, 04:32 PM
Addressing your last point first - you've been here plenty long to make a good suggestion.

I tend to agree that the default should be a little longer, so I just doubled it to 2 days. Since the longer time period won't harm anything, and it should help a good number of members, I saw no need for any discussion.

If a member has changed their cutoff time parameter, that setting will still be in effect. The default will only affect those who still have it set to "Use Forum Default".

R.Greene
March 27, 2014, 04:52 PM
Thank you, Mal :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Why is the General Handgun forum only 6 threads long?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!