What type range do you most often use?

1. Indoor
2. outdoor

If indoor:

1. Do they allow draw from holster?
2. Do they allow handgun magnums?

If outdoor:

1.Do they allow draw from holster?
2.Do they have any barricades or houses?
3. Do they have steel targets?

Reason I'm curious is that where I live unless you belong to a club, you have to go to an indoor range. They do not allow draw from holster. You are simply standing with the gun on a counter in front of you putting holes in paper. May help increase accuracy, but little else. I would like to join an outdoor club, but they all have rather long waiting lists to join.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where do you shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ehtereon11B
September 20, 2012, 02:21 AM
Used to shoot indoor. But that range was into some sketchy business so now outdoor only. Both ranges allow draw from holster. At the indoor range I no longer frequent the only ammo not allowed was AP rounds or anything screaming faster than 3200 FPS. They also had a strong leaning towards selling their own but wasn't mandatory.

My outdoor range is run by the state game authority in the middle of a hunting preserve. Nothing fancy like barricades or houses. Paper targets only. There is a membership range about an hour away that has buildings for practice, pistol dueling trees, gongs and loads of other nice targets to shoot at.

bikerdoc
September 20, 2012, 06:23 AM
Private land access has been a blessing for which I am most gratful.

Sam1911
September 20, 2012, 09:41 AM
It is often quite difficult to practice much of value and practice enough to reach proficiency with a defensive weapon if you're limited to commercial ranges and/or public ranges.

A good club can offer you many benefits, not the least of which is a group of professional, serious-minded, safety conscious members who share your focus and interests in training. That's not always easy to find, of course, and some parts of the country seem to have a dearth of such places.

As a start, I'd look at the IDPA and USPSA web sites and find clubs in your area which host those types of matches. At the very least, that will indicate that they have some level of focus on practical shooting and will allow the kind of practice that will help you.

FWIW, my home club is here: http://www.westshoresportsmen.org/

$55/year (IIRC) gets a member access to nine outdoor ranges, plus trap range and archery range, and an indoor pistol range -- as well as groups doing IDPA, Highpower, SASS, and some other very interesting things.

allaroundhunter
September 20, 2012, 09:51 AM
Private land (a family owned farm) allows me to practice most anything that I want to, whenever I want to. It has been especially helpful for practicing shooting on the move and low-light/night shoots. Over Christmas break I will get to set up 3-gun stages to practice my new favorite sport :)

Sent from my HTC One X

Kyle M.
September 20, 2012, 10:57 AM
I can shoot in my backyard, but I only have about 25 yards to my woods. Therefore when longer distances are required I go to the county conservation league, they have a 100 yard range, membership is $15 a year, and theres hardly ever anyone there.

dbp
September 20, 2012, 11:30 AM
Those of you with private land should indeed count your blessings. I am in central S.C. and there is virtually nothing available except a couple of private clubs with full memberships. Wish I had about 50 acres of land.

Dr_B
September 20, 2012, 06:41 PM
I shoot in the middle of nowhere in north Idaho. Its a private-membership range but there is nothing around it but wheat. I shoot steel and paper targets, and I go all year round (rain, sun, sleet, wind, wildfire smoke, or snow) as long as the roads are cleared. If I don't get to go for more than two weeks, I get itchy.

Win1892
September 20, 2012, 10:56 PM
I own 40 acres 44 miles from my home. I have 100 and 300 yard berms. We've set up gongs at 100, 200, and 300 yards. Steel swingers from 25 to 50 yards and lots of wooden target stands for paper. Covered concrete bench.

I have actually fired out of my truck windows.

hso
September 20, 2012, 11:03 PM
There's too much liability at a public indoor range to permit people to draw and shoot. A ND onto a concrete floor can be a hazard for folks in nearby lanes.

dbp
September 20, 2012, 11:21 PM
True - and I understand that. I guess my point is that shooting holes in paper at an indoor range is not going to prepare a person for a possible confrontation with a BG when all sorts of different dynamics will be in play. And I certainly have no figures available to me, but my guess is that 75% or more of gun owners who carry for SD "practice" in these indoor ranges. True self defense proficiency with a handgun is pretty elusive.

chris in va
September 21, 2012, 12:10 AM
I shoot at Knob Creek. The primary range lets you shoot at/with just about everything. Surprisingly they don't allow draw from a holster, or at Tannerite.

However I shoot down at a lower range that has steels, making things a lot more interesting.

Can't stand indoor ranges. Loud, smoky, time limited.

wyohome
September 21, 2012, 01:24 AM
Over half of Wyoming is public land. Sparse population makes finding a place to shoot simple, although most people use old gravel pits due to the backstop features.

gojuice101
September 21, 2012, 04:56 AM
Ah, the benefits of having a private range. I have never been to an actual range outside of mine, but I think it would be irritating dealing with all their rules.

wyohome
September 21, 2012, 05:47 AM
I have been a member of a couple of gun clubs. I understand the need for strict rules, but I am glad to be able to shoot one round, drive down to the target and back, either fire again, adjust the scope or move a little closer.

Hangingrock
September 21, 2012, 09:16 AM
I can and do shoot on my own property but limit it basically to handguns, shotguns, and rimfire rifles. In addition I’m a land holder in a private club, a member of a club that leases land, and a life member in an out of state club.

tuj
September 21, 2012, 12:37 PM
I shoot at two different public indoor ranges a lot of times, but also belong to a gun club with two outdoor ranges. None of the ranges allow drawing from the holster, which I understand can be frustrating, but based on some of my experiences at the public indoor range, I would be very nervous with anyone drawing from a holster.

The indoor ranges allow pretty much any pistol as long as its non-lead ammo and non-expanding (ie. FMJ). The outdoor ranges allow lead and expanding loads.

None have steel targets or barricades, but there is a 'tactical' range nearby that I have not been to that does have steel popper and swingers and barricades for IDPA work.

Chevelle SS
September 21, 2012, 12:52 PM
Outdoor on private land so anything safe goes!!!! :D

dbp
September 21, 2012, 01:02 PM
Is there anyone on this forum that owns land in Lexington County, S.C. that would maybe like to develop a range for "friends & family" only (not for membership)? I would be more than willing to help develop and build for shooting privileges? If so PM me.

A strange person
September 21, 2012, 08:19 PM
Sometimes, I use the outdoor range down the road from my house. There's usually nobody there, and no "rules" either.

If it's too sunny out, I shoot in the woods. Here, the law is that you can't shoot within 100 yards of an "occupied dwelling" without owner permission, or 5 yards of a road, so basically, the vast majority of the state is technically a shooting range. I just find a steep, safe hillside to set targets on and blast away.

I've never been to an indoor range in my life, and I don't plan to.

Hondo 60
September 22, 2012, 12:53 AM
I shoot at 2 places.

1 is an outdoor club.
They have a pistol range, a rifle range & a trap/skeet range.
The pistol area is fully adjustable - you can shoot from 50 yards on down to 2 ft if you want.
Yes, it allows for holster draw.
No it doesn't have steel targets, but you can bring your own.
Lotsa evidence of water jugs/frying pans etc in the trash.

The 2nd place is a friend's farm.
He has a small 6ft high berm as a back stop.
Nothin fancy, but when the club is closed for different events, it still gives me a place to go.

Twig
September 22, 2012, 01:08 AM
Here in Minnesota it is pretty easy to find a place to shoot. M.D.H.A has free ranges set up all around the state.

glockgod
September 22, 2012, 06:33 AM
raynersrange.com

Up to 1000 yards-owners are wonderful down to earth friendly country folks.
Out in the sticks but worth the trip!

Frankl03
October 14, 2012, 10:25 PM
I'm a member of Pioneer Gun club outside of Kansas City MO.
The have an indoor range available 24 hours a day. The outdoor range has 100/200 yard rifle, trap, maybe 6 pistol ranges. We have a plate range with 2 double plate racks 24 plates.

They also have lots of organized shooting like USPSA, NRA action pistol etc.

Good club!

Godsgunman
October 15, 2012, 02:40 PM
Hey Frank wheres that located? I live in Olathe so I may be interested.
I sometimes go to an indoor range but usually end up going out to my in-laws place where I have 30 some acres to myself and can practice however I please.

grock5k
October 15, 2012, 03:27 PM
The woods or the club. It's 75 bucks a year they have a bunch of programs and events. Theres a cowboy action course 200yd range a couple outdoor pistol ranges an outdoor smallbore range. 24 hour indoor range can shoot light loads no magnums or jacketed rounds. You can shoot from the draw and pretty much do whatever you want you just cant shoot targets out of the air:(

DM~
October 15, 2012, 03:34 PM
I have my own personal range on my property and i can do what ever i want.

DM

BullfrogKen
October 15, 2012, 04:19 PM
Like Sam said I like belonging to a private membership range.

A good club will have lots programs, and offer things you would absolutely never have access to by yourself, shooting on your own land.

Right now I belong to three different clubs. And I'm looking at joining one or two more. The clubs where I shoot matches at on a regular basis, I join. I like to have the club leadership seeing the program I shoot attracting membership from those matches, so that's why I do it. As a last resort, if the Board of Directors get squirrely about the program I like I want to be able to show up to a membership meeting and cast a vote.

But the best reason to belong to one of the non-for-profit membership clubs is the comraderie of like-minded people and the growth it brings as a shooter. It's not a piece of land. I've made some really great, lifelong friends at the clubs I've belonged to over the years.

That doesn't apply to the for-profit, pay-for-a-lane, places run by a business. Not that they can't be run well . . . I just haven't found one that I thought was. And they often cost many hundreds of dollars a year to use. Just not for me.

rbernie
October 15, 2012, 08:23 PM
Membership at the Dallas Gun Club is seven GRAND to join and then about a grand a year in dues. All other local venues are public ranges of varying capabilities, unless you own land outside of an incorporated town.

I shoot at three different local public ranges; GPSR, Targetmaster, and Bullet Trap. GPSR is outdoors and I'm there most every weekend, while the other two are indoor. GPSR allows magnums and Slow Draw on the handgun line, but only shooting from a bench on the rifle side. None of these ranges offer steel or barricade/obstacle courses.

jc57
October 15, 2012, 08:23 PM
What type range do you most often use?

1. Indoor
2. outdoor

If indoor:

1. Do they allow draw from holster?
2. Do they allow handgun magnums?

If outdoor:

1.Do they allow draw from holster?
2. Do they have any barricades or houses?
3. Do they have steel targets?

Indoor
No draw from holsters.
Magnums are OK, FN Five-Sevens are not.

I don't have many options where I live. I don't live in the country and don't own land in the country. There is only one private gun club but it is outdoors only, takes a pretty good drive to get there, and is rather expensive to join for the limited chances I would have to go there.

BullfrogKen
October 15, 2012, 08:40 PM
Jeez bernie, Texas just sounded a whole lot less attractive.

rbernie
October 15, 2012, 09:19 PM
Jeez bernie, Texas just sounded a whole lot less attractive.
Northern VA wasn't much different; 'exclusive gun clubs' with multi-thousand dollar membership fees and yearly dues of hundreds of dollars, or public ranges.

It's all that I've ever known.

mbopp
October 15, 2012, 10:29 PM
The club I belong to has 2 outdoor ranges, at the "action" range you can draw from a holster. No barricades but there is a steel silhouette target at 50 yards.
It also has an indoor range I use in the winter. Up to 44 Mags are allowed but no Contender-style guns. No drawing from concealed on the indoor range.

steady shot
November 11, 2012, 10:49 AM
Out door private club.

At one time we could "draw from the holster". But not anymore.....
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j217/enforcer421/042.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j217/enforcer421/047.jpg

VPLthrneck
November 11, 2012, 07:27 PM
I shoot outdoors on several different parts of the National Forest where I work. There are great big hills to serve as backstops; and the only rules are pack out what you bring in. And if you take out more than what you brought in then you're helping us keep these places open for use.

ghitch75
November 11, 2012, 10:18 PM
my back yard....

wyohome
November 12, 2012, 12:57 AM
I shoot out here sometimes:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/Deaver/6c49f60f.jpg

MtnCreek
November 12, 2012, 10:03 AM
wyohome,

So your range only goes to about 10 miles. :D

There's a range about 40 miles from my house. The rules are strict and if you spend a little time watching some of the shooters there you would understand why. I shoot on private lands (mine and another belonging to a friend). Rules are pretty simple: Follow the four rules and don't shoot further than you know you can.

Jotun25
November 12, 2012, 01:21 PM
I shoot at Manistee National Forest, its about an hour drive there but its worth it. http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/hmnf/ (Looks like the site is down):cuss: I shoot on a 1x3 mile of federal land.

The gun range I started off on had an accident about 1 1/2 years ago and still hasn't opened back up. Campus security from a local college :( http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2011/10/grand_haven_township_asks_gun.html "Tactical Training" indeed...

TarDevil
November 12, 2012, 02:32 PM
my back yard....

Ayep. Gun friendly neighbors, too.

medalguy
November 13, 2012, 08:47 PM
I have acreage and can shoot on my own property. However often I feel the need for long distance, then I have to drive about 5 miles to BLM land where I have at my disposal about 250,000 acres. I can shoot anything I want there, any way I want.

fortyluv
November 13, 2012, 09:04 PM
HERE (http://www.swfsa.org/)

smalls
November 14, 2012, 02:56 AM
I shoot at indoor ranges. Any outdoor ranges are further away and often just as expensive. I recently found a new indoor range that will let me draw and rapid fire, which is rare. I was told as long as in safe and responsible I can pretty much do what I want within reason. Still doesn't beat an outdoor range, especially one with IDPA style berms, but I get to practice most of my drills.

I'd really like to find an indoor IDPA league close enough, so that I can practice shooting and moving more.

shooter_from_show-me
November 14, 2012, 07:59 AM
Hey Frank wheres that located? I live in Olathe so I may be interested.
I sometimes go to an indoor range but usually end up going out to my in-laws place where I have 30 some acres to myself and can practice however I please.
Indoor range is located in Knobtown(Kansas City, MO) 350 Hwy & Old Noland Rd. While the McBride range is in Bates City, MO about 3-4 north of 50 Hwy. Both great places but I mainly spend my time @ McBride since I live in P Hill, MO.

Been a member for almost 4 yrs now. Click on the link for more info.

http://www.pioneergunclub.org/

odorf
November 29, 2012, 09:14 AM
I am blessed with living in rural mississippi. my closest neighbor is over a mile away. i sit in my rocker, on the porch. drink coffee and blast away at targets that i have set up 25 yrds, 50 yrds 100 yrds and 300 yrds
last week i was plinken with my rem 512 and a squirrel started bitc%^en i was maken to much noise. i hollered at him to hush. he kept on barken at me
so i shot him and 2 of his buddies. we had fried squirrel with home made biscuits and squirrel gravy. tomatoes, green beans out of the garden
and sweet ice tea.. yes!!! i love living in the country!!

i dont see how you guys put up with shooten at a range, to many people, its loud, and you have to constantly watch your back, because of unsafe
idiots. its just not enjoyable to me
you guys have WAy more patience than I do

Babarsac
November 29, 2012, 02:32 PM
NRA Range in Fairfax VA

After I get married in September....I'm hoping somewhere outdoors in Colorado.

bamajoey
November 29, 2012, 10:16 PM
My own property, backed up to 1000's of acres of International Paper Property.:)

mcdonl
November 30, 2012, 07:30 AM
Mixture of state owned land and a private club. The club is more of a "good ol boy" environment of funny sounding Maine-ahs of which I fit right in. We are safe though, have stable benches and 25,50 and 100 yard berms.

I pay a fee to shoot IDPA at a larger club which is less handy to me, so I do not have a membership there.

Retcop
December 1, 2012, 06:44 AM
I shoot on my Property down in the woods by the creek bank.

Arkansas Paul
December 1, 2012, 09:49 AM
I'm a member of a very nice outdoor range. We can draw from a holster, we do have houses and barricades at the IDPA course. I think the only steel targets are at the cowboy action course.

I have never shot at an indoor range and have zero desire to.

Rockfish61
December 1, 2012, 10:44 AM
I shoot here: http://www.delnortegunclub.com/
or if you have FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Del-Norte-Gun-Club/387133168027569

We have one of the better ranges in the SW USA I think.

You can shoot rifle to 1000 yds
Draw from your holster
We have two 16 sta sporting clays courses
Trap, Skeet, 5 stand

Always having great events

And its a 15 minute drive from my house :)

Isaac-1
December 23, 2012, 07:32 PM
Private land (400 acre family farm), informal range has a 6-8 ft high 50 ft long backstop berm, which is backed by about 1/4 mile of open land, range is sloped slightly down hill so even if the bullet goes a little over the berm chances are it will hit the ground before leaving the property, range is clear up to about 200 yards in front of the berm, but in theory could be used from up to 500 yards or so, but would involve shooting between trees, etc.

almherdfan
December 23, 2012, 07:58 PM
I belong to a private club http://nekfga.com/ about 18 miles from home. I really appreciate this place more and more. There is a public range about 18 miles from home, but I don't go there much anymore. I do have friends with land and shoot there when invited.

Matthew Temkin
December 23, 2012, 09:05 PM
Indoor range in Queens, N.Y.C.
We allow drawing from the holster, magnum rounds and other practical self defense practice--low light, shooting up close, shooting from cover, multiple targets, etc.
I am the instructor in the grey sweater in the promo:
http://gunlicense.com/

Cooldill
December 24, 2012, 03:12 AM
I shoot at the Belleville indoor shooting range here in Southern Illinois:
http://www.bsrgunshop.com/shootingrange.htm

Pretty happenin' place, but most of the time I shoot down in my creek back home. I only have about 40 yards to shoot down there though. Anytime I want to see how a gun is shooting or need to sight something in I usually go to the range above, if I'm just plinking around I just go to the creek!

P5 Guy
December 24, 2012, 07:26 PM
Ain't gonna say it's too crowded now.

Chuck R.
December 25, 2012, 12:34 PM
My place and I pretty much do as I please:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/CFRHunter/New%20House%20Construction/ShootingBenchSlab5.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/CFRHunter/Shooting/DSC00049.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/CFRHunter/Shooting/X-Mas061112.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/CFRHunter/Shooting/behindCover.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/CFRHunter/Shooting/SwingerMoving.jpg

30 meter pistol range, 100-500 meter rifle. I realized a while back that all the guns and gun chit in the world isnít as cool as having a place to shoot. So I've been working on it since we bought the 1st 40 acres, just finished the 385 and 500 meter berms a couple weeks ago.

Chuck

If you enjoyed reading about "Where do you shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!