untidy?

PDA

OrangePwrx9
September 21, 2012, 12:51 AM
Reading Warden Wolf's ugly gun thread, a question arose. Has anyone ever tried fireing a revolver from inside a coat pocket? Seems like it would shred the pocket.

I'm surprised that Myth Busters has overlooked this. To be fair, it would be difficult to milk a potential blown up pocket for 30 minutes of air time.
:)

If you enjoyed reading about "untidy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve C
September 21, 2012, 05:20 AM
Not only will it put a hole in your coat pocket, there's a good chance it will set your coat on fire. A firearm, note the "fire" in the name, will make a decent fire starter if you don't have matches.

Sam1911
September 21, 2012, 08:43 AM
Yes, we've had some threads on this. One issue some folks overlook is that it is possible for some kinds of pocket lining to get pulled into the cylinder/frame window and jam the cylinder from turning. If a DA revolver's cylidner won't turn, the gun won't fire.

OrangePwrx9
September 21, 2012, 09:44 AM
Ahhh, then maybe it's one of those jobs semi-autos excel at. Except the slide might get hung up on the lining.

Maybe there's a special line of overcoats out there that we don't know about...or some kind of fancy pocket liner.

Come to think of it, we never know what's being pointed at someone from inside a coat pocket. Might be a Bond Snake Charmer. Could be anything.

Addressing important questions here.
;)

MikeJackmin
September 21, 2012, 10:04 AM
I'll try to find it, but there was at least one reasonably well-done writeup, with photos and everything.

Bottom line was, it worked, it blew the pocket to sheds, and setting fire to the coat was a real hazard.

Personally, I consider a 'coat-pocket revolver' to be an awfully good CCW method, when you can get away with it (for example, if you are just running out to the store on a chilly evening, and you don't have to worry about taking your coat off). If you find it necessary, you can even have your hand on your gun, in a firing grip, and nobody knows. Nothing is faster or more secure. A small pocket holster can easily keep the gun clean enough to work reliably.

I understand this was one of the tactics that the Fitz Specials were designed to address. A .45 snub in an overcoat pocket is a serious medicine.

That said, I think you'd have to be in an awfully tight spot to have to fire through the pocket, but if it came to that, it would work.

Certaindeaf
September 21, 2012, 10:30 AM
I usually wear a down vest. It'd look like I blasted a chicken. No smoke screen required, exit stage left!

Invisible Swordsman
September 21, 2012, 10:40 AM
A couple of years ago I attended the Snubby Revolver course at TDI in Ohio. As part of the program, they bought a number of cheap coats at a second hand store and had us shoot from inside the pocket. No coats caught fire. None of the guns jammed.

It does make for a big hole in the pocket!!!!

danweasel
September 21, 2012, 11:22 AM
Certaindeaf,

That's one of the funniest things I have read on THR ever. Almost makes me want to try it!

If you enjoyed reading about "untidy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!