Boberg XR9-S

PDA

IMTHDUKE
September 21, 2012, 01:00 AM
Anyone actually have one of these? Anyone fired one? Anyone seen one? Pricy but looks unique design.

If you enjoyed reading about "Boberg XR9-S" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
VA27
September 21, 2012, 02:54 PM
Nope, nope and nope. But there are some vids on youtube and Mr. Boberg is a member here. A search should turn up some threads on it. I like the look of it, but I haven't pulled the trigger (so to speak) on one yet.

gbelleh
September 21, 2012, 05:33 PM
I handled one at a gun show. It was very nicely made, and very small. A unique and interesting mechanism. I'm currently on the waiting list for one.

OcelotZ3
September 21, 2012, 11:53 PM
I've had mine for quite a while now and it's a great gun. I really love the design and Arne really stands behind his product.

I still need to buy a holster for it though...

LightningMan
September 21, 2012, 11:56 PM
I started a thread a couple days ago, that I had just got mine on Tuesday the 19th, and today I got the chance to shoot it for the first time. So before giving my range report you must understand that it is NOT recommended to use Wal-Mart Federal (red box) ammo, as it uses plated bullets not jacketed. The reason I got was; they may not have enough crimp to hold the bullet in the case. Now for my report; I shot 50 rds of my own ammo which used 124 gr. Berry's plated bullets, over 4.3 grs. of Win 231, of those I had one round come apart. (Probably not enough crimp) Other than that the pistol shot flawless, easy on the recoil, and if I did my part I could keep my hits in the black at 10 yards. The trigger is long but smooth, and must return nearly all the way forward to reset. So it takes a little getting used to. I also shot a box of factory Cor-Bon 90 gr. JHP +P rounds rated to be 1500 fps. (don't believe you will get that out of a short barreled pistol) These shot just fine, no hick-ups, and while these rounds sounded like they had a lot of bark, they didn't have much bite, as the pistol tamed the recoil just fine. So far I am really pleased with this little pistol, and will add to this report when I get more range time. I think I'm going to try some 125 gr. lead round nose ammo next time, and I've got a box of 124 gr. JHP Federal Hydra-Shok's I'm going to try. LM

DAdams
September 22, 2012, 12:28 AM
I have two Platinum Edition XR9-S. Took about 8 months to make it through the queue for an opportunity to purchase. I like the ergonomics and with the design barrel length and in conjunction with Plus P it makes for strong performance stats for a 9mm that is dimensionally and weight wise similar to a PM9. I don't envision it as a pocket pistol for me, it's too heavy.

I have been trial IWB carrying it around the house in a Remora holster. I have not had them to the range yet. It takes substantial time before I carry something therefore it will take awhile before the Boberg qualifies for PD carry.

I bought a box of 50 Hornady Critical Defense 135gr Plus P to put through it. Modern handgun modern ammunition. I have an inventory of three other Plus I'm going to get it qualified with..or not.
I am making this my 8 round plus P 9mm carry if it works out.

I spoke with Arne Boberg for awhile prior to purchasing.
He's doing a good customer service job right now.

http://www.bobergarms.com/

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Boberg%20XR9-S/P1010005.jpg

DAdams
September 22, 2012, 10:33 AM
To provide a size/scale reference:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/untitled-3.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Boberg%20XR9-S/P1010006-1.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Boberg%20XR9-S/P1010008-1.jpg
Boberg in Remora IWB compared to Seecamp .380 in a DeSantis Nemesis

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Boberg%20XR9-S/P1010020.jpg

J Frame with 305 Grip

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Boberg%20XR9-S/P1010010.jpg

PM9 with CT Laser and Pearce Grip

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Boberg%20XR9-S/P1010009.jpg

IMTHDUKE
September 22, 2012, 10:42 AM
Great post and great info....I have R9....it does not have +P capablity, so am looking at the Boberg.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww2/imthduke/GUNS/Robar.jpg

TAKtical
September 22, 2012, 08:49 PM
Man that is one ugly mother. Very interesting internals though.

Mr.Revolverguy
September 22, 2012, 08:55 PM
Boberg Range Review (http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=1525)

millertyme
September 22, 2012, 08:59 PM
Wow. So these little pistols are finally starting to trickle down. It seemed like it was never going to happen a couple years ago but now we have people who actually have them in their hands. I've been pretty happy with my Kahr, but I might switch it up if I find one and feel the cost is worth it.

LightningMan
September 22, 2012, 10:05 PM
Another range report; As stated earlier I tried some loads using 125 RNL bullets loaded over 5.6 grs. AA#5. First though, I shot a box of Fed. 124 gr. Hydra-Shoks without any issues. Then out of 50 rds. of the RNL's I had one that would not chamber (out of spec, I'm sure) These loads were loaded a while ago when I was not using a factory size/crimp die. Otherwise the gun ran flawless. As accuracy go's: I didn't have as good of groups with the Hydra-Shoks as the previous ammo shot, but my 125 RNL's grouped as good as any ammo I tried in my earlier post. Can't say why, could have been me or maybe it was the ammo. So far I really enjoy shooting this little pistol. I showed this pistol to a couple of guys at the range which I have shot IDPA with, and they really liked it. One said; "its got a cool factor to it, and that would only be cooler if it were his"" the other said; Someone was really thinking outside the box when they designed it" Anyway I will try and report anything worth while when needed. LM

PX15
September 23, 2012, 12:18 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_4356.jpg

TACtical:

I'm prejudiced (as I have one), but I think the Onyx version of the XR9-S has a better "look" to it than the other models.

I'm sure owners of the other models will disagree, but I've always preferred a black (or dark) pistol for any of my concealed carry choices.

Truthfully, the qualities of the Boberg XR9-S are more in "performance" than appearance. :D

I like mine.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

OcelotZ3
September 23, 2012, 06:08 PM
Yup, great in performance. One of the best 9mm's I've ever shot, and especially for a small compact one.

VoodooSan
September 23, 2012, 06:42 PM
I haven't shot one but I am on the list. But I am pretty far down on the list. Looks innovative and I want one. :)

KansasSasquatch
September 23, 2012, 07:11 PM
It seems like it would help to keep muzzle flip to a minimum. Most pistols want to pivot off of the web of you palm, I think moving the chamber back would lock it in to your hand better and as long as you can keep your wrist straight it would prevent any muzzle flip. I like the idea. Has there ever been any talk of a .45 version? That might diminish the compactness of it but some people just prefer .45s.

PabloJ
September 23, 2012, 07:48 PM
Great post and great info....I have R9....it does not have +P capablity, so am looking at the Boberg.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww2/imthduke/GUNS/Robar.jpg
I would rather have that too. The parts schematic for Boberg is almost as scary as that of Italian Rhino revolver.

LightningMan
September 23, 2012, 08:04 PM
FWIW, I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but compared to my PM9 & my DiamondBack DB9, the Boberg XR9-S is easier to rack the slide. This might be a consideration to some with limited strength. LM

DAdams
September 24, 2012, 12:28 AM
I had both an Onyx and Platinum on order. Arne Boberg talked me out of the Onyx.

Pilot
September 24, 2012, 06:03 AM
Arne Boberg talked me out of the Onyx.

Why? Is it not as good as the other ones?

Rembrandt
September 25, 2012, 07:59 PM
I'm about 3-to-4 months out on the waiting list......can't wait!

TennJed
September 25, 2012, 08:29 PM
Honestly suprised the PM9 looks pretty close in size

DanTheFarmer
September 25, 2012, 08:58 PM
Kansas Sasquatch (and others),

Check out www.bobergarms.com. The designer/owner has a discussion going on a version in 45 GAP. The shorter length of 45 GAP vs. 45 ACP will allow a less extensive redesign apparently. Check out the discussion for all the details.

There also is a more conventional looking design the XR9L, with an even longer barrel. It has the same operating system but with a barrel that protrudes beyond the trigger guard. With the chamber close to the rear of the gun this gives quite a long barrel in a still compact (but not Uber-compact) design. I don't know where this one stands.

Interesting stuff. It is good to see innovation. Best of luck.

Dan

DAdams
September 25, 2012, 09:50 PM
Why? Is it not as good as the other ones?

Two items. At the time the vendor doing the coating apparently was backed up and it was affecting delivery by a few weeks. The deal breaker for me was that apparently the finish was a little rough on the contact parts and causing some "fail to" so there was a "wear in" of some number of rounds.

I went through that with a Kahr PM9 and a break in or wear in can cost substantial money, especially if it has to happen more than once. 400 rounds in the case of the Kahr.

I took a pass on the Onyx. YMMV.

Pilot
September 25, 2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks Dadams. Good info.

Madcap_Magician
September 26, 2012, 12:39 PM
My name came up on the list, but I didn't have the money.

Girodin
September 27, 2012, 05:51 AM
I went through that with a Kahr PM9 and a break in or wear in can cost substantial money, especially if it has to happen more than once. 400 rounds in the case of the Kahr.

I find this curious. Would you not be shooting the gun anyways? Particularly a carry gun? I would find it annoying the gun didn't work right from the get go. Happily my Kahr did. I believe, firmly in fact, that a lot of very valuable training can be done without live fire. That said, 400 rounds is not that many to put through ones carry gun.

DAdams
September 27, 2012, 10:55 AM
I find this curious. Would you not be shooting the gun anyways? Particularly a carry gun? I would find it annoying the gun didn't work right from the get go.

"A gun that didn't work right from the get go" is an understatement.

I fully expect to perform the necessary drills and events to qualify a handgun for PD carry.

I have had two handguns in 7 years that failed mechanically. A revolver at fewer than 150 rounds (and 500+ dry fires) and a SA, the PM9 that was wrong right out of the box. Both had to be sent back for repair.

I like to shoot and train but when a handgun begins exhibiting mechanical shortcomings very early on, the range experience becomes an exercise in futility and adds little to nothing to the experience or sometimes required break or wear in other than getting alot of experience clearing FTE or FTF.

Perhaps my expectations are too high (I think not) but I expect also to have the product work out of the box and provide a reasonable service life (a few thousand rounds) prior to repair or replacement. Ammumition issues or operator error not with standing.

I don't want to turn thread this into a new design or break-in philosophy event.

Remllez
September 27, 2012, 05:00 PM
DAdams,

I agree with you about a new carry gun failing, even through a supposed break in period, it spooks me!! The gun may prove out through use or it may fail at an inopportune time. That's why I'm usually leery of buying a pistol that has a break in period.

If the break in is for smoothing the trigger pull that's different to me, ftf, fte, stovepipes, hmmm. I own plenty auto loaders and carry them on occasion but deep down there's something comforting about revolvers.

Good luck with your gun!

DAdams
September 27, 2012, 07:20 PM
but deep down there's something comforting about revolvers.

I'm 50/50 on failures, one revolver, a new 642-2 and a Kahr PM9. I bought the revolver when the Kahr crapped out. :banghead:

Regarding the Boberg, nothing would surprise me. My patience level may be a bit greater since I have plenty of tried and tested carries now.

DAdams
September 27, 2012, 08:54 PM
Deleted. Double Post.

Remllez
September 27, 2012, 09:08 PM
LOL,

You can't win for lose!! I don't know what went south with your 642 but I hope they fixed it for you. I think the newest Smith revolver I own is a 1965 and they made them better back then.

The Boberg pistols seem well engineered, albeit a tad spendy for me and I hope his pistols prove out. The evolution of the handgun world slowly moves forward and I welcome and appreciate different designs/concepts.

He seems like a stand up guy and it must be tough floating a new gun company off the ground considering the state of the economy. Good luck and happy shooting!!!

wally
September 29, 2012, 08:14 PM
Nice photos, I gotta say, just goes to show what an amazing job Kahr did with the PM9/PM40 using a conventional design instead of something exotic that may never be made in significant volumes.

The Kahrs are a lot smaller in height if you lose the mag finger extension.

DAdams
September 30, 2012, 12:31 AM
Kahr was the Boberg of their time a decade ago.

http://www.kahr.com/kahr-unique-design.asp

There was a time when a high percentage of PM9 had to be returned and repaired for issues. There was about a 50/50 chance that if you purchased one it would have to go back...at the owners shipping expense some times multiple times.
Barrel peening was one of the most notable first issues.

Mine went back once some five years ago. I stuck with it.

I put 25 rounds through it today.

Along with the first 78 rounds through the Boberg.

wally
September 30, 2012, 01:01 AM
The steel framed Kahrs go back about 20 years.

Kahrs are available everywhere at competitive prices, I've yet to see a Boberg in any form other than a photo. The Rohrbaugh, I've actually only seen three offered for sale.

Guns small and light for their caliber often have problems, its universal, even ones as large as the Glock 26 can sometimes be problematic out of the box. The Kimber Solo sure seems off to a rocky start.

I'd be thrilled to see better availability of the Boberg and Rohrbaugh pistols.

LightningMan
September 30, 2012, 08:52 PM
UPDATE: Hello, I wasn't sure if I should add to this thread or start a new one, so if a moderator see's a reason to move it, feel free. Anyway, I went to the range today with my Boberg XR9-S & my Kahr PM9 as these pistols are very similar in size. The perpose was to do some tests with my cronograph. These will not be actual dimentions but they are what I get with my calipers.
Kahr; width, .893" (without slide lever-lock) width .980 (with lever). Boberg; width, .960". (lever is within the frame width)
Kahr; height, 4.200" (includes sights).
Boberg; height, 4.240" (includes sights).
Kahr; lenght, 5.530".
Boberg; lenght, 5.110".
Kahr; barrel lenght, 2.800".
Boberg; barrel lenght, 3.187".
Now to my test results, I used Win. brass, & primers. Powder was Win. 231 using 4.3 grs. Bullet was 115 gr. Rainier plated RN.
(Note: I had to shoot the XR9-S loading rounds 1 at a time, as I have had plated bullets come apart, this was to avoid that problem.)
Kahr PM9
1). 909 fps.
2). 886 fps.
3). 916 fps.
4). 903 fps.
5). 887 fps.
6). 902 fps.
7). 914 fps.
8). 927 fps.
9). 869 fps.
10). 903 fps.
Average; 901.6 fps.
Boberg XR9-S
1). 944 fps.
2). 968 fps.
3). 954 fps.
4). 971 fps.
5). 995 fps.
6). 918 fps.
7). 969 fps.
8). 919 fps.
9). 965 fps.
10). 935 fps.
Average; 953.8 fps.
Difference of 52.2 fps.
Note; I did check the average throwing out the high/low readings but it didn't make much difference. (902.5 fps. for the PM9 & 953.1 for XR9-S)
These were my results, yours may vary. LM

DAdams
October 1, 2012, 03:46 PM
First 72 rounds through the Boberg Platinum Saturday.

All ran without incident:
Remington UMC 124 grain FMJ

Winchester 9mm Nato (white box)
124 grain FMJ

American Eagle
124 grain FMJ
If there was a troublesome round and a portion of the problem may have been operator error was getting the first round in the chamber.

Fiocchi
123 grain

I liked the running of the Fiocchi best. Pretty good leadless range ammo. Think I will order up a few hundred since it worked so well in these small handguns.

I shot the Boberg back to back with my PM9 just for effect. The PM9 was "snappier" and had slightly greater rise.

The full reset requirement of the Boberg was not problematic.

I have some sight issues I need to work through and I may need different rear sight that is slightly taller. The three typical sighting dots were still yielding low POI.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/Boberg%20XR9-S/P9290004.jpg

Rembrandt
October 2, 2012, 10:21 PM
Whooopie!.......just got the long awaited email from Arne, 3-to-4 weeks and I'll be taking delivery.

Rembrandt
October 14, 2012, 08:48 PM
Finally got mine....what a neat gun! This thing has performed flawlessly and extremely accurate. May get a couple more for the kids for Christmas (2013).

Found an Uncle Mikes holster that fits well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Firearms/959.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Firearms/960.jpg

tek610
October 14, 2012, 09:16 PM
I have just now discovered that this gun exists, when it was introduced to me on another thread as a possible Kahr alternative. I'm not interested (yet), because of the price, wait list, and new (unproven) design. BUT- I think it's cool that such innovation is happening in my neck of the woods.

I saw "White Bear Lake, MN" on the gun in photos.

Pretty cool- now we can claim more than just Magnum Research :cool:

Dakotared
October 15, 2012, 12:14 PM
There is another gun maker in Blaine that makes a .357 mag in a semiautomatic.

tek610
October 15, 2012, 03:08 PM
There is another gun maker in Blaine that makes a .357 mag in a semiautomatic.
True! It's called the Coonan. I love their slogan- "Looking for your first gun? This isn't it."

Fishbed77
October 18, 2012, 12:48 PM
Truthfully, the qualities of the Boberg XR9-S are more in "performance" than appearance.

Aside from the overly busy-looking grip design, I think the Boberg is a nice classy-looking little pistol.

If you enjoyed reading about "Boberg XR9-S" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!