Boresnake vs. bore brush

PDA

kazaam
September 21, 2012, 02:39 AM
Which is better? YOU decide! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Boresnake vs. bore brush" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TimeIsRunninOut
September 21, 2012, 02:44 AM
I can't say that either is better than the other for my purpose of use, I feel that I did a much more though job if I use my bore brush and patches, but I tend to be lazy with my 22 and use a rifle length bore snake. Either way I use a nasty toothbrush to clean various inside parts additional.

September 21, 2012, 02:49 AM
Boresnake vs. bore brush
Which is better?
Both!:p

bubbacrabb
September 21, 2012, 04:00 AM
to me atleast they're apples and oranges. I use a bore snake occasionally after a match, or after a quick shoot at the least, but I dont think anything will ever replace my core cleaning solutions. Brush wrapped in chore boy, or Lewis Lead Remover, many patches with a brass jag. I think nothing gets a bore cleaner than a tight fitting patch and jag. To each their own though. Everyone is most likely going to have a different opinion.

TAKtical
September 21, 2012, 05:30 AM
I use a bore brush every 3rd cleaning. Boresnake works well enough for me most of the time but it will not get everything.

Jed Carter
September 21, 2012, 05:36 AM
To thoroughly clean a firearm nothing beats a bronze brush and some sort of oil or solvent. At the range or a pistol match I take my trusty Bore Snake to clean out any oil from the bore from storage. Durring long USPSA matches I often clean out the bore and feed ramp with a Bore Snake. At a safe area I feed the brass end through the magwell and out the end of the barrel, this way it cleans the ramp some too.

Ehtereon11B
September 21, 2012, 05:58 AM
Both. Brushes for my rifles and handguns. For my shotgun I use a bore snake because they are less picky about being clean.

NWCP
September 21, 2012, 06:20 AM
I'll carry a bore snake in the field, or to the range because it/s so compact. I use my standard cleaning rod at home. Both do a good job.

Blackstone
September 21, 2012, 08:16 AM
I use a brush to loosen all the crap in the bore, then follow through with a mop to remove it all.

meanmrmustard
September 21, 2012, 08:17 AM
Bore snake and patches. If I can keep from peening my rifling, I do so by not using a brush unless its nylon. I don't use copper brushes, ever.

Double Vision
September 21, 2012, 09:19 AM
I'm pretty fussy about keeping my firearms clean, so I use a brush.
The Boresnake is fine in a pinch but to me is no substitute for a good cleaning.

PS - I switched to the Otis system this year and prefer it over the old cleaning rods.

1911 guy
September 21, 2012, 09:27 AM
For convenience and a range quickie, the snake is great. For actually CLEANING a bore, it doesn't stand a chance against a traditional brush and patch.

jmr40
September 21, 2012, 09:56 AM
A boresnake is OK for quick temporary cleaning but should never be a substitute for a real cleaning with proper tools. There have been know to get stuck in barrels. About the only fix if that happens is a new barrel.

Blackstone
September 21, 2012, 10:10 AM
Question - what's the actual purpose of the patch? I use a mop in lieu of it, is that the same thing?

danweasel
September 21, 2012, 11:45 AM
Hmmm, I clean all my firearm barrels with boresnakes, pretty much exclusively. I do hold them up to the light and they look pristene but maybe, after reading the responses, I could use some cleaning tips?

What would you guys call the "end all" gun cleaning thread on THR? I would love a link.

Thanks.

Bozwell
September 21, 2012, 11:52 AM
I don't know how you would manage to get it stuck in the barrel. You sometimes need to put a bit of muscle into it to overcome friction, but there's nothing for it to get "stuck" on. Edit: Unless you are using the wrong sized snake...

Dan, I'm not sure you're doing anything wrong. After a few thousand rounds and/or if you shoot cast bullets, you may want to do a deeper cleaning with some stronger chemicals and a bit more scrubbing, but for regular range work the snake is 100% fine.

Much like there's no magic bullet, there's no magic solvent/tool for cleaning your gun. You can keep a firearm running just fine using a boresnake, if you do your part.

Voodoochile
September 21, 2012, 12:03 PM
I do both, bore snake when I'm at the range to clean in between sessions & the patch & brush for at home thorough cleaning.

rcmodel
September 21, 2012, 12:15 PM
Cleaning rod and various size brush's.

Try to throughly clean a carbon fouled bottleneck rifle chamber with a bore snake.
You can't.

If it's small enough to drag through the bore, it is way smaller then the chamber.

rc

JoeMal
September 21, 2012, 12:29 PM
I prefer snakes for my long guns and brushes for my handguns. It can get a bit cumbersome to run a 4ft. boresnake through a 5" barrel.

meanmrmustard
September 21, 2012, 12:54 PM
Cleaning rod and various size brush's.

Try to throughly clean a carbon fouled bottleneck rifle chamber with a bore snake.
You can't.

If it's small enough to drag through the bore, it is way smaller then the chamber.

rc
That's what nylon chamber brushes or patches are for. If its big enough for the chamber, it's probably doing a number on you bore. Seen it first hand with copper brushes. No more, thank you.

rcmodel
September 21, 2012, 12:59 PM
Nobody was suggesting you try to drag a chamber brush through the bore.

Because it would get stuck.

What I was suggesting is that it takes two different size brushes to clean a rifle chamber & bore.

And a Boresnake can't do it.

rc

rc

Beach Nut
September 21, 2012, 01:02 PM
The bore snake is much quicker for me and easier to use but the bore brush is
does a much more through job of cleaning. So, I guess it depends on how dirty
the gun I'm cleaning is, was I shooting corrosive ammunition, etc. as far as which
cleaning tool I use.

beatledog7
September 21, 2012, 01:05 PM
Bore snake is made to solve the problem of cleaning the bore of a gun whose breach is blocked by action parts and can't be accessed by a cleaning rod without having to go in from the muzzle. Of course, any firearm can be disassembled far enough to get a rod through at the breach, but for a lot of owners of lever guns and semi-autos this is not practical for routine cleaning.

With a gun that doesn't present this problem, the bore snake is redundant. But it does make serve as a "between cleanings" make-do.

meanmrmustard
September 21, 2012, 01:07 PM
Nobody was suggesting you try to drag a chamber brush through the bore.

Because it would get stuck.

What I was suggesting is that it takes two different size brushes to clean a rifle chamber & bore.

And a Boresnake can't do it.

rc

rc
But then you're still using two tools, regardless, and the brush does not have 100% contact on all parts of the bore as it goes through. Therefore slower, and messy.. I find the snake works in the bore better, can be soaked with solvent, is washable and doesn't harm my rifling. Good enough for me.

Mr. Tettnanger
September 21, 2012, 01:26 PM
I use both!

Mr. Tettnanger
September 21, 2012, 01:48 PM
Bore snake and patches. If I can keep from peening my rifling, I do so by not using a brush unless its nylon. I don't use copper brushes, ever.

Don't Boresnakes have copper bristles?

CoRoMo
September 21, 2012, 01:59 PM
The brushes are phosphor bronze.

hardluk1
September 21, 2012, 02:02 PM
No bore snakes. VFG pellets, your cleaner of choice and peice of weedeater line, .095 line with one end mushroomed to slide thru one pellets and pull it thru the bore. Simple and easy to carry to the woods or range. No bore damage ether. Nylon brush for the chamber only anymore.

Bore snake users would be very suprised how baddly those things work.

tarosean
September 21, 2012, 02:05 PM
is washable and doesn't harm my rifling.

A brush harming your rifling? Ive been cleaning barrels for over 35yrs with brushes and never seen such a thing.

hentown
September 21, 2012, 02:29 PM
IF you ever have a Bore Snake break off in your barrel, you'll figure it out for yourself...quickly!! :cool:

meanmrmustard
September 21, 2012, 02:58 PM
A brush harming your rifling? Ive been cleaning barrels for over 35yrs with brushes and never seen such a thing.
Because you've never "seen" it.

meanmrmustard
September 21, 2012, 02:59 PM
No bore snakes. VFG pellets, your cleaner of choice and peice of weedeater line, .095 line with one end mushroomed to slide thru one pellets and pull it thru the bore. Simple and easy to carry to the woods or range. No bore damage ether. Nylon brush for the chamber only anymore.

Bore snake users would be very suprised how baddly those things work.
Seems fine to me. Less destructive to my bore anyway.

Mac Attack
September 21, 2012, 03:16 PM
I used a boresnake when I need a quick cleaning and use a brush when i want to do a thorough cleaning.

GLOOB
September 21, 2012, 06:00 PM
I try to use only a "boresnake"* for all my small bore rifles. Using Hoppes seems to dissolve all the copper fouling. The patches eventually come clean, anyway. I suppose if I shot cast bullets, I might find a bore snake doesn't quite cut it. I still use a rod and a chamber brush for cleaning the chambers of my rifles.

* By boresnake, I mean a length of fishing line and a fresh cloth patch. I suppose you could tie a bore brush onto a piece of heavy fishing line, too. So far, I've never needed to.

Chuck Dye
September 23, 2012, 11:05 PM
I have one 'snake for my CCW that I have never added any fluid to other than bore oil it picks up as it clears the bore of accumulated lint. For cleaning after firing, I rely on mops, brushes, and patches applied with brass attachments on one piece rods.

My primary reaction to Boresnake vs patches is rather like my reaction to handkerchiefs vs paper tissues: why save and reapply the crud?

meanmrmustard
September 24, 2012, 07:34 AM
My primary reaction to Boresnake vs patches is rather like my reaction to handkerchiefs vs paper tissues: why save and reapply the crud?

They're washable.

wgaynor
September 24, 2012, 09:10 AM
Bought a bore snake and it broke on the first use. Won't buy another one.

smalls
September 24, 2012, 09:56 AM
I run a boresnake through just once after a range session, mostly just to get crap that may get on my clothes off. Bore brush for some serious cleaning.

Should also add that the only guns I currently own are defensive handguns, so I shoot them, run a boresnake through it, wipe off the exterior, and goes back into my pants.

SouthernYankee
September 24, 2012, 10:25 AM
I use them both. Brush when I am being thorough and Snake for a quick clean- tune up. So I don't see it as an either or they both perform important yet somewhat different tasks.

Bovice
September 24, 2012, 10:25 AM
I use both. Boresnake for quick cleaning of lesser fouled bores. I find that by keeping up with bore cleaning that the boresnake is all I need for a long time. This is for pistols. For rifles, I don't have any boresnakes.

rodinal220
September 26, 2012, 09:55 AM
For field use I still pack a GI M16 cleaning kit because of the segmented rod,with extra rod pieces.Occasionally someone in the hunting party will get snow,mud in their barrel or a stuck too long reload,and needs poked out.The otis/snake type kits are nice just for cleaning but cannot push out bore obstructions.

mljdeckard
September 26, 2012, 11:52 AM
I use bore snakes on rifles for which I do not have a concern for high accuracy. My SKS, my army M-16 that is already dinged up, no big deal. My 22-250 varmint rifle, I am more careful. I might run a boresnake through it once to store it, but I won't depend on it for serious cleaning.

Kyle M.
September 26, 2012, 11:57 AM
Bore snake for shotguns, bronze brush and patches for rifles/handguns. But that's just me.

tarosean
September 26, 2012, 12:23 PM
Because you've never "seen" it.

True enough.

What kind of barrel/gun was damaged by a brush that you seen first hand? Got Pics?

Spartacus
September 26, 2012, 12:31 PM
Bore snake for quick cleaning and brush for thorough cleaning.

Inebriated
September 26, 2012, 01:10 PM
I use a boresnake 9 times out of 10. It's quick, simple, and effective. If the boresnake doesn't cut it, I'll just use a cleaning rod. No use comparing the two... they're for different things.

19-3Ben
September 26, 2012, 10:47 PM
I use a boresnake 9 times out of 10. It's quick, simple, and effective. If the boresnake doesn't cut it, I'll just use a cleaning rod. No use comparing the two... they're for different things.

YUP!!! big +1 to this.

meanmrmustard
September 26, 2012, 11:33 PM
True enough.

What kind of barrel/gun was damaged by a brush that you seen first hand? Got Pics?
Pics? No. But a smith friend, name withheld but from a small town in Macon County Missouri showed my father and I the barrel of a 22-250 that had been cleaned frequently with copper brushes exclusively with something called a Zoom a scope or bore scope...anywho, it was amazing! The edges of the lands where they were supposed to be a crisp corner were actually radiused, which he said was accuracy robbing. Barrel was steel, blued, on a bolt rifle that I believe was a Savage. One mustn't forget possible crown damage.

He swears by using patches and nylon only. I trust this man. Odds are, he's a better shooter than you, me, and most in between. You don't get that good without research.

ceetee
September 27, 2012, 05:55 PM
I use bore snakes if all I'm trying to do is give them a quick wipe down. If they need a more thorough cleaning, I give the whole bore a shot of foam, chamber to crown. Let the chemicals do their work, and you can usually just patch the crud out. The only time I really use a brush is on the charge holes in a revolver's cylinder.

andrewdl007
September 27, 2012, 06:21 PM
I use a boresnake a majority of the time. Had a shooting instructor who hated them because he claims they hold on to the powder and gunk in the barrel so it just rubs off the next time you use it. I think however especially on shotguns the boresnake is great. Always hated the brass brush and the patches. will use them if i have the time and am inspired to do a serious cleaning.

If you enjoyed reading about "Boresnake vs. bore brush" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!