Your opinion on Charter Arms Rimless 9mm for CCW?

PDA

Orion8472
September 21, 2012, 11:36 AM
I've been looking for a potential carry gun in 9mm and was slightly considering the possibility of a revolver like the Charter Arms Rimless 9mm that just came out. I realize that, if used in a defense sitation, it would be a DAO operation. However, there should be more reliability than [for example] a S&W Shield.

I'm not much of a revolver guy, but the Rimless 9mm is intriguing. Opinions? I'm also holding out for the 9mm version of the XDs, but who knows when that will be out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Your opinion on Charter Arms Rimless 9mm for CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Certaindeaf
September 21, 2012, 12:12 PM
The 9X19/Luger is rimless.

They have (at least old manufacturers did) .45 Auto Rim. It was/is a rimmed .45acp for use in revolvers. You didn't have to use moon clips out of a revolver with that.

Not that I think you have to use clips in that Charter. That Charter sounds pretty neat though.

hardluk1
September 21, 2012, 12:47 PM
I like the idea of a 9mm revolver but at the weight of that brick of a 9mm I will never own one. 13 to 15oz maybe with a hogue soft rubber grip. Not that hard piece of plastic thats used. better to own a 357 mag snubby so atleast you have a wider choice of bullets.

bikemutt
September 21, 2012, 01:15 PM
I bought a Pitbull .40 cal a month or so ago. After 2 trips to the range with less than 50 rounds the thing was falling apart. Sent it to Charter and got it back in a week or so. Sold it the next day. I would rate the new Charter Arms a poor value based solely on that gun. They have lots of revolvers I'd be interested in owing but it seems to me they are cheap for a reason.

Certaindeaf
September 21, 2012, 01:57 PM
There are many same type threads/comments about S&W. I've had a few fail bad.. sheared studs, barrel coming unscrewed.. the list is long. I still use Smith's though.
I had a 3" .44 Charter. Good gun. I have a .38 Charter undercover. It's perhaps a tad heavy but hey, I like it because I use thumpers in it. It works great and I bet my life on it.

weblance
September 21, 2012, 07:55 PM
On Wednesday of this week, I picked up my Taurus 905. Its a 9mm revolver. I am very happy with it, and I think its a great value/idea. I dont know how the Charter is or even if its available. Taurus has been making the 905 for quite a while and it has a proven track record. I recommend it. Heres a thread I did today about it.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=678182

If you enjoyed reading about "Your opinion on Charter Arms Rimless 9mm for CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!