Which of these subcompacts would you get?

PDA

A strange person
September 21, 2012, 08:32 PM
I need a new concealed carry piece. I've narrowed my choices down to seven that suit my needs. Which one would you get, and why? Sell me on one of them. Price IS a factor; I don't want to pay for anything more than pure functionality. Here are the choices, in no particular order:

- Kel-Tec PF-9

- Ruger LC9

- S&W M&P SHIELD

- Sig P250 Subcompact

- Glock 26

- CZ 2075 RAMI

- Walther PPK

GO!

If you enjoyed reading about "Which of these subcompacts would you get?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
oneounceload
September 21, 2012, 08:38 PM
I can speak to the G-26 - it works flawlessly in all conditions - that said, if you want small to pocket carry, this is a tad too big for that, IMO - and I am 6'3 280 and wear cargo shorts - it's just too "blocky" and prints too much
If you are talking about IWB, great choice - point and shoot

FireInCairo
September 21, 2012, 08:43 PM
The one you didn't list: The Walther PPS!

Aside from that, the Glocks have such a great reputation for reliability and they come with nice triggers out of the box. The only drawback is that they're thick to conceal, unless you're a really big guy in which your frame could easily conceal the 26. The LC9 is attractive because it's small, but I ditched mine because I was kinda concerned about reliability. It shot well for a small gun, and concealed really well.

I found the PPS to be a perfect cross between quality build, concealability, and handling.

One other option: Kahr. I may end up getting a PM40 eventually, as it will conceal better than the PPS and has a decent reputation for quality.

FireInCairo
September 21, 2012, 08:45 PM
Also, when reasearching a carry gun for myself, I found the Keltecs seem to be even worse than the LC9 in terms of reliability. They're loved, though, so you find a lot of people on their forums who put up with a lot of issues in terms of repairs. For me, if I'm going to carry for personal protection, it's worth a couple hundred bucks more to get something that will be more reliable.

A strange person
September 21, 2012, 08:52 PM
I can speak to the G-26 - it works flawlessly in all conditions

That's what I hear about all Glocks. It won't be for pocket carry, but IWB, strong side.

The one you didn't list: The Walther PPS!

You're right, I did.

Plan2Live
September 21, 2012, 08:54 PM
XD Subcompact. Similar in size to the G-Lock, equal in dependability to the Austrian but has a better trigger. And I like the shiny mags better too. :cool:

If you are leaning heavily towards the Shield, then wait until the XDs (single stack) comes out in 9mm or 40 cal. It will offer everything the Shield does without the frame mounted safety. Or you can wait until, well, a really long time and hope the Austrians eventually put out a single stack.

coolluke01
September 21, 2012, 08:56 PM
I carry the G26 IWB, pocket and ankle.

I would like to see a video of someone doing this with any of those other subcompacts.
http://youtu.be/2M5G0oqdiHw

Ramone
September 21, 2012, 09:16 PM
Have you considered the PM9?

I'm loving mine after more than a year.

Of what you listed, the SIG, hands down.

elrowe
September 21, 2012, 09:24 PM
The only ones I can say for sure are:

PF9 - no, really snappy recoil/muzzle flip and not comfortable in my hands.
PPK - no, awkward safety and no slide stop except an empty magazine
P250 - no, (I own one) DAO with long heavy trigger hampers accuracy and rate of fire

I'd personally narrow it down to the G26 (actually G30 in my case) and the Shield if you could ever find one... My niece has been on a local 9mm Shield waiting list for two months and has only moved up one spot.

I agree with adding the PM9 to your list of possibles per the last post, but it also has a pretty heavy trigger (I own one). Wouldn't hurt to add the Sig 938 to the list.

Southside830
September 21, 2012, 09:36 PM
I vote for a Springfield XD Subcompact. It's short but has a good feel in the hand. I wanted a Glock 26 but went with the XD9 sub instead. I didnt like the short grips on the Glock. The XD has an awesome trigger! 499$ including 2 mags.

Jed Carter
September 21, 2012, 09:36 PM
I use the S&W Shield as my Summer EDCW, G26 another good choice, IMO. Shield has been an excellent shooter, no function issues and very controlable, with about 650 rounds throught it so far. I like consistant triggers so any DA/SA pistols are out of consideration for me.

A strange person
September 21, 2012, 09:38 PM
The PM9 would be by far the most expensive one on the list.

Mr. Tettnanger
September 21, 2012, 09:44 PM
Glock 26!

Also look into the Kahr CM9!

TennJed
September 21, 2012, 09:52 PM
If you want a DAO the Sig P250 has a smooooth DA trigger. (IMHO)

If you want a SA the CZ Rami is extremely accurate (IMHO)

FWIW I think the RAMI is the most underated sub-compact 9mm out there

Hunter125
September 21, 2012, 09:53 PM
Another vote for the XDsc that wasn't on your list. I couldn't be happier with mine.

IdahoSkies
September 21, 2012, 10:06 PM
All those listed, except the Walther PPK can be found in a 9mm flavor. The PPK is usually chambered in .32 ACP, or .380. If you want one of those fine, (I carry one) but know its limitations. I think you are looking for a 9mm, so I would xnay the PPK. It is also very heavy and big for what you get.

A strange person
September 21, 2012, 10:08 PM
All those listed, except the Walther PPK can be found in a 9mm flavor. The PPK is usually chambered in .32 ACP, or .380. If you want one of those fine, (I carry one) but know its limitations. I think you are looking for a 9mm, so I would xnay the PPK. It is also very heavy and big for what you get.

The only reason the PPK is on the list is that I have a fetish for steel, and for traditional double actions. I probably won't get it (for now).

bugs1961
September 21, 2012, 10:09 PM
More than 7000 rounds through my XD40sc without a hitch. It just plain shoots! Very accurate and easy to shoot. I highly recommend a XD9sc if you're looking for a 9mm.

A strange person
September 21, 2012, 10:17 PM
Fine, the XDsc is on the list.

Teachu2
September 21, 2012, 10:26 PM
For IWB, strong side, the Glock 26 is probably the most popular. OTOH, I have a LC9 that I bought for my wife and ended up with when she hated shooting it. I like it for my "formal attire" CCW - it's very accurate and 100% dependable so far. My usual CCW is a Glock 30, but if I lived in a hi-cap state it might well be a G26.

Shoot 'em all - the one that works best for you may not be the same as anyone else's "best".

meanmrmustard
September 21, 2012, 10:30 PM
G26 or Shield

Maybe make a poll?

A strange person
September 21, 2012, 10:40 PM
Maybe make a poll?

Tried, couldn't figure out how to do it.

SouthernYankee
September 21, 2012, 10:45 PM
Not on your list, but I carry mainly a Kimber CDP II .45 primary. Before everyone gets all excited its what's next, as a Backup and single on quick store trips, I love my little Beretta Bobcat. I know it won't stop a charging rhino, but it will stop a man. Eight shots centered will really mess your day up and you can hide it ANYWHERE! Now what some others have said is very wise, pay careful attention to what fits your grip/hand and gives you a quick clean draw (holster & belt is very important) and sure sight alignment. You may only have a second or two, but remember the best gun is the one not fired so be sure and if you have DON"T talk to anyone (police incl.) until you have first talked to your lawyer!

Fotno
September 21, 2012, 10:50 PM
I can't speak to any of the others on your list, but my G26 has been flawless in every way. Every type of ammunition I have loaded into it has fired without fail from the cheapest steel cased FMJ to the newest/greatest hollow-point; and it carries nicely IWB too.

beatledog7
September 21, 2012, 10:51 PM
I like steel or alloy frame guns, so PPK or RAMI.

A strange person
September 21, 2012, 10:52 PM
Beretta Bobcat

Had one, hated it. Worst trigger I've ever experienced, wouldn't shoot anywhere near POA with any ammo, "extraction" system, or lack thereof, was unreliable, and shells would literally be blown directly back into my face.

RinkRat
September 21, 2012, 11:23 PM
I can pocket my g26 in 7 out of 9 pairs of my cargo shorts and all my of cargo pants. I started taking it into the dressing room to try um on and don't buy um anymore if it don't conceal. Like they <whom ever they are> say "dress around your CCW"

I had a PF9 but the trigger kept pinching my finger and I just didn't personalty care for it anymore after shooting a friends shield. So I sold the pf9 and got $27. more :D then I paid so I'm going to use the monies to get a shield as soon as the next one comes into my LGS.

So I'd suggest the g26 first and the shield second.

JohnBiltz
September 22, 2012, 05:04 AM
I carry a G26. For me its as big as I would care to carry and as small as I would care to fight with. Anything smaller has less rounds, worse handling or both. Anything with more rounds is going to be bigger and heavier.

JRWhit
September 22, 2012, 07:25 AM
I have an sr9c that carries well and is pretty accurate. If you're active it may be harder to maintain concealment with IWB side carry than you think. You may want to consider a .380 for pocket concealment. The .380 is a proven round and in a defense situation would be adequate. I have a friend that carries IWB and thinks he keeps it concealed with a light shirt. Drives me crazy, he may as well just open carry. It kinda defeats the concealment part. I keep a .380 for that reason. If it's a hotter day and I'm wearing lighter clothing It's easier to maintain concealment.

wheelyfun66
September 22, 2012, 07:46 AM
Glock 26

threefortyduster
September 22, 2012, 08:51 AM
From your list given and reasons (not wanting to pay for anything other than function)...either the PF9 or LC9.

PF9-~$300
LC9-~$350
Shield-going for around $500, hard to find just about anywhere
P250-~$400, a friend had one, hated it, got rid of it within 2 months
26-~$500
CZ-~$475
PPK-~$500

DocRx
September 22, 2012, 09:10 AM
None of the ones listed. Have and carry a Kahr CM9 (less expensive clone of the PM9). High quality construction, lightweight, compact/concealable, accurate - even at longer distances, smoothest trigger of all, unequalled reliability, and fairly priced.

needmorecowbell
September 22, 2012, 02:55 PM
From your list the CZ, but I think the Kahr CW9 is the perfect CCW gun. Small enough to take anywhere yet can get your whole hand on the grip and actually fun to shoot.

leadcounsel
September 22, 2012, 03:06 PM
Glock.

I can speak to some but not all of the above choices. They are not apples and apples. There is a difference in size between say the KT and the Glock for instance.

I like CZs, I like XDs, and I like Kahrs, and a few others...

That said, the Glock pistols of all varieties have always been flawless and accurate for me. And the nice thing is that your spare mag can been of the 15 or 17 or 30 round variety. I often have a couple larger mags with me when I have my subcompact Glock.

MrDig
September 22, 2012, 05:43 PM
I used to own a Sig P250 SC it was too clunky and thick imho to really be in the SC class. A KelTec P11 is actually smaller and easier for me to pocket carry.
I have no experience with the other SC guns you listed.

Fiv3r
September 22, 2012, 05:58 PM
I carry a G26. I usually carry OWB, but the 26 prints no worse under an over-shirt than a cell phone. I will sometimes back pocket carry mine if I am wearing a shirt that comes down to the top of my pocket height...or if I just don't care if some sees it.

It's been accurate, dependable, and affordable. It's actually a pistol that I can shoot well right or left handed, and I like the fact that I collect mags for it as I stumble across deals on them as it will take all Glock 9mm mags from the 10 to 33 rounders. It stores away in a nano vault nicely in my bag for travel (gun loaded with two mags for a total of 31 rounds). I like that I can pack it in states where my permit counts yet they have limitations on high capacity. It's just as at home on my belt in the woods as in the urban jungle (no, I'm not going into bear or cat territory).

Just a great do-it-all little pistol in an affordable and effective caliber.

genstab
September 22, 2012, 06:13 PM
Mine isn't on your list. It's true it's no longer being made and you have to look hard to find one for sale, but i carry a FN HP-DA/DAO Compact (I have both). 9mm, 10 shots, all steel and made by FN Herstal- what's not to like?

Best,
Bill in Cleveland

momano
September 22, 2012, 06:47 PM
I would pick the Shield first, then the G26. Have you considered the Beretta Nano? I'm happy with mine.

Esoxchaser
September 22, 2012, 06:54 PM
None of my preferences are on the list. P238, P938, Springer EMP.....

Mot45acp
September 22, 2012, 07:28 PM
Walther PPS

rugerman
September 22, 2012, 08:22 PM
My every day carry is a Keltec PF9 and has been for the last 3 years. Light weight, no failure to fire or feed, good sights & the trigger is pretty good. I also have a PPK in .380, its a good gun but its large for caliber and heavy, sights are too small (disappear late in the day or early A.M.). If I was going to .380 I would get a Keltec P3AT, much smaller & lighter and no safety to mess with, mine is my second (son got my first) or was, now my wife carries it. I put 300 or so rounds thru the P3AT before I trusted it as a carry gun no problems. Due to their light weight and small size both the P3AT and the PF9 do have a rather sharp recoil, but they are much more accurate than they have a right to be. With a pocket holster the P3AT sort of disappears in your pocket. I usually wear overalls so the PF9 fits my pocket in a pocket holster just fine.

justice06rr
September 22, 2012, 08:34 PM
My top 3 suggestions, in order are:

1. M&P Shield
2. Glock
3. Ruger LC9

I would place the PF9 last. I've owned one (brand new) that was unreliable, unfortunately so I speak from experience. Keltec is a good company, but their products can sometimes be hit or miss.

Good luck.

chanroc
September 22, 2012, 09:09 PM
Love my Gen4 G26. It's been reliable and accurate with everything I've put in it, ranging from light 115gr FMJ to +P 124gr HPs. There are a lot of aftermarket parts out there, as well as various options for holsters. Finally, it's a joy to shoot.

batex
September 22, 2012, 09:13 PM
Kahr PM9.. It's accurate, reliable, great trigger.

CZ57
September 22, 2012, 11:37 PM
In my experience, the S&W Shield is the best pistol in its size class. For comparison I have experience with the Walther PPS and the Kahr. The forward rails of polymer frame Kahr separated from the frame. To me the Shield is built better than the PPS which had some bugs early on. S&W is the importer for Walther so there's no doubt that S&W learned a lot from the failings of the PPS. Walther has since corrected most of the problems and lowered the price of the PPS. No doubt due to the success of the Shield. ;)

If you can carry a Glock 26, then you can carry the SA XDm 3.8 Compact which I would choose over the Glock.

Buzznrose
September 22, 2012, 11:45 PM
I carry a G26 but also like the M&P 9C (not one of your choices though).

fastbolt
September 22, 2012, 11:48 PM
I own a couple of G26's. Decent, solid smallish 9's.

On any given day, however, I prefer shooting my 3913, SW999c & CS9.

All of that said, after having spent an afternoon trying another instructor's Shield 9, I'm going to be ordering one. ;)

Autolycus
September 22, 2012, 11:55 PM
The Glock 26 is my choice.

TMann
September 23, 2012, 12:00 AM
Another vote for the Walther PPS. Slim, but solid. Heavy enough to be easy to shoot. Trigger is heavy, but easy to control. Reliable. And with the shortest grip (6-rd) it's doable for pocket carry.

If you are happy with the size of the Glock 26, it's probably the best choice of the bunch. Super reliable. 10-rds of 9mm. Takes the larger G19 and G17 magazines. But it's a big thick compared to the rest of your options.

Good luck.

TMann

TMann
September 23, 2012, 12:02 AM
Another vote for the Walther PPS. Slim, but solid. Heavy enough to be easy to shoot. Trigger is heavy, but easy to control. Reliable. And with the shortest grip (6-rd) it's doable for pocket carry.

If you are happy with the size of the Glock 26, it's probably the best choice of the bunch. Super reliable. 10-rds of 9mm. Takes the larger G19 and G17 magazines. But it's a big thick compared to the rest of your options.

Good luck.

TMann

srtolly
September 23, 2012, 12:16 AM
I have a PF9 with almost 700 rounds through it without problems. Easy to conceal almost anywhere. That said about half the time I carry my Makarov in 9x18, I'm kinda weird like that.

WinThePennant
September 23, 2012, 12:34 AM
In this order (from your original list):

Glock 26

S&W Shield

Sig P250 SC

Forget about the others.

biogenic
September 23, 2012, 01:12 AM
Walther PPS

Indeed...

red rick
September 23, 2012, 08:36 AM
S&W Shield

Thin more comfortable too CC with a IWB holster and less printing.
Good trigger.
Priced reasonable.
S&W warranty and CS.

RinkRat
September 24, 2012, 01:31 AM
I love my g26 that would be my first suggestion.

Second would be the shield. Which I'm waiting my turn inline on.

I had a pf9 but sold it. The trigger was pinching my finger and the first time I cleaned it right out of the box the parkerized finish started flaking off. I called KT and I sent it back and they refinished it. But it was a spotty job at best and was still flaking off. They said if I sent it back .... again .....they would charge me to have it redone :fire: so I sold it before the finish became too flaky and I'm putting that money towards a shield as soon as my LGS gets around to my order inline.

bannockburn
September 25, 2012, 09:31 PM
I would also go with a Kahr PM9 over the other models listed. Very compact, great sights, and a decent DA trigger pull.

barnett
September 25, 2012, 09:43 PM
PPK. Shoot one. You'll see.

316SS
September 26, 2012, 12:57 AM
The only reason the PPK is on the list is that I have a fetish for steel, and for traditional double actions.

Price IS a factor; I don't want to pay for anything more than pure functionality.

CZ 82. /thread

click clack
September 26, 2012, 02:26 AM
I would love a PPK. And a Shield.... And maybe a G26 haha. But if only allowed one? I would probably go with a Shield. It would be a nice compliment to my m&p9c

FrankCastleThePunisher
September 26, 2012, 03:04 AM
Walther PPKS

powder
September 26, 2012, 03:20 AM
None.

G36, yes.

gym
September 26, 2012, 12:04 PM
I have had 4 of them,
the walther, the pf-9,
lc9,
glock 26
If only allowed one, I would get the 26, or the lc9. The walther is a 380 and is hit and miss, although I did have one on my NYC license for 18 yrs, it did have slide problems several times.
And the pf-9, I put more time in getting that gun to run right than any other, stay away from them, there are good ones and bad ones, it's that simple without getting into a whole conversation about it.
If you get the lc9, get the laser built in, I have the lasermax, and it is dead on at any range out to 25 yards.
The Glock 26 is the best of the lot, but as you know it has no safety, and if it's your only gun, you may find times when it may be hard to carry. Only if you carry with a round in the tube, "which I do on all my guns". If you can wear a OWB, or have a good IWB holster that you trust, then go with the Glock,10+ the +2 addition, and 1 in the chamber gives you 13, . The lc9 is only 7+1. The lc9 is the easiest to carry, it fits in my front pocket, I recommend changing the trigger to the short throw RTK. It makes it a much better gun. Not only decrease the travel, but adjust the front and rear trigger play, making it easier to stay on target and fire faster. I would not get a 380 under any circumstances as your everday carry, maybe as a backup gun, but then you could get an lcp which giives you the option of pocket carry.

TennJed
September 26, 2012, 03:51 PM
The 380 has no place being compared to a 9mm, unless you reload for a locked breech model, such as the Keltec P3AT, or the little Sig or the older Star Pony, or the Colt Mustang. You left out the best of the pocket 9's, the Diamondback DB9

Opinions on the best pocket 9 are just that, opinions. The Diamondback DB9 seems to have had a lot of reported issues.

gym
September 26, 2012, 03:56 PM
The lc9 "by the way" is gaining in popularity. There are far moe good reviews on it now that they addresses the trigger issues. I am particular and called Rugger about the trigger slop, they explained it adequetlly, although it could have been fixed by their engineering dept. instead of RTK, "who came out with and exellent replacement". The problem was that they found that, "guys were firing a couple hundred rounds at a sitting". The guns interior frame would expand and cause the trigger to seize. Instead of re- engineering the trigger "like RTK did" they just left in extra play to avoid this from occuring.Thus the slop. It's fixable and the gun is dead on accurate with the trigger fix.They also did this for the PF9 and several other guns with sloppy triggers. You guys with some of these guns may want to look at RTK's web site and pick one up for $40-55.00. It changes the gun into something you want to shoot.

edwardcii
September 26, 2012, 04:26 PM
For reliability, G26.

Like others, the G26 is bulky. When I carry it IWB, I never forget it's there. I am on the look for an alternative carry that's thinner. Thinking about the Kahr CM9 - but it's reliability and customer service (at least from what I've read) is a little concerning.

Based on reviews, the shield seems like it may be a very good pick. Thinner than the G26, from a good platform (M&P generally has solid reviews), and a good company.

Only advantages I see for the G26 are reliability (the platform has been around much longer, and the horror stories are much fewer and far between compared to other brands and models) and capacity (I carry 17 extra rounds in a G17 magazine). I will probably never sell my G26 unless I am really hurting. It is one of my only firearms to never have a malfunction (I have had a few FTE or ftf in most other firearms, even in other glocks, although not enough to make me worried. less than 0.1% for anything I still own or carry, which is good enough for me).

Water-Man
September 26, 2012, 05:07 PM
The Caracal sub-compact is supposed to be available soon.

Might want to take a look at it before making a decision.

meanmrmustard
September 26, 2012, 10:22 PM
it's had plenty of kabooms in .40, and plenty of "limpwristing' problems, too. I trust no gun out of the box, and to turn down by far the smallest, lightest, very low cost 9mm's over perhaps needing a fluff and buff indicates you aint very serious about this. The Glock is no pocket gun, never will be. No double stack mag gun is much of a pocket gun, or Keltec wouldn't have bothered to make the single stack PF-9. the pocket 9 offers up to 400 ft lbs. the typical 380, 150 ft lbs. the typical 380 jhp won't expand in flesh. neither will anything under 100 grs, fired from a 3" barreled 9mm. the CorBon 100 gr PowRBall load, tho, is a good round. 1300+ fps in 3", almost 400 ft lbs, and real expansion in flesh and blood. Much, much better than the 380, and the plastic nose helps it feed reliably, too.
What's your point, exactly. Glock subbies suck? .380 sucks? I'm not drawing a conclusion between these two very differing subjects.

The Glock 27 is manageable, and the Gen 3 is sans issues. It pockets quite well, thank you. Mainly in winter, but nonetheless.

As for .380 vs 9mm, I'll not argue. I've no use for the ACP, where a 9 is better, cheaper, and did I mention cheaper? Alas, where's the proof of the lack of expansion of a .380 on flesh? Who's flesh, and what's the distance? What load, speed, barrel length? Is there a clothing barrier? These are just a few variables that matter.

Capt. Ct.
September 27, 2012, 12:15 AM
If it isn't for the pocket then the Glock 26 gets my vote.

RinkRat
September 27, 2012, 12:37 AM
I saw these cobra gun skin holsters at the gun show last weekend and bought a couple of their IWB X2 and X2s holsters both were $25. ech got um for my g26 and g30. They are very well built, comfortable, and quite a bargain too for a nice quality leather hostler.

I can use them for a OWB also by just feeding my belt through the belt clip, thus instead of putting the holster inside my pants I put it outside between my pants and belt, if you understand what I'm describing. It rides tight and will conceal nicely under a winter jacket or even under a loose T-Shirt. The one with the thumb brake I think will be better for this carry but they are both made of a thick heavier quality leather so both should carry OK like this too.

http://www.cobragunskin.us/main/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=35

EastKY_DO
September 27, 2012, 06:21 PM
Put me in with those who haven't had a problem with their PF-9. I own & have carried a Ruger SR9c, a Kahr CW40, J frame S&W, SP-101, Makarov, SA XD45c, Glock 19, KT P3AT, as well as bigger autos & revolvers. The one I find myself carrying the most is my humble PF-9. It works, it's thin, it's light & it's a 9mm, not a .380.

Based on my experience I recommend it. YMMV :)

maseden
September 27, 2012, 07:50 PM
The PF-9 has been perfect for my needs. It fits into the roles and places I need better than any other gun I've tried.

Warp
September 27, 2012, 09:57 PM
I would, and did, get the Glock 26. I am extremely happy with that decision.

Noah
September 27, 2012, 10:05 PM
I have some trigger time on both a PF-9 and a Shield. PF-9 is snappy, but not at all painful. Shield shot like a full size M&P, and has a great trigger. I have never seen either FT-Anything. Kel-Tec is cheaper and lighter, but the Shield is a nicer gun and a much better shooter. Of the ones I have experience with, I'd pick a Shield.

That said, *personal opinions incoming* have you thought about a compact vs a subcompact gun, like a Glock 19 or a S&W SD9? Hardly any bigger, just as easy to carry IWB, and more firepower and control. Esp. vs any of the single stacks. No one ever wished they had brought LESS gun to a gunfight. ;) I say bring the most gun you can tolerate, and if that's a Glock 17, 1911, or Sig P226, S&W M&P, whatever-all the more likely you won't be out gunned. These also are great plinkers, sidearms, and house guns. Like I said, 100% my personal opinion, and if you will carry a single stack and would ever leave a full size gun at home for a run to the grocery in the evening, get the smaller gun.

Warp
September 27, 2012, 10:19 PM
I believe the guns a size up, say a Glock 19 vs a Glock 26, are noticeably more difficult to adequately conceal.

Tirod
September 28, 2012, 12:47 PM
Shield over Nano, it reportedly has a better trigger and also a slide stop, plus a safety you can either use, or ignore.

LC9, not so much, still the long trigger pull. I don't care for it on the LCP and would sell it to finance the Shield.

Glocks are nice, I've got a 1Gen 17. If I actuallly used it daily, then a 26 would be the natural backup. Since a CCW gun will likely be the primary handgun, I don't have to spend extra. I can get the Shield at a better price. All I have to do is wait until January, when the supply catches up, and buyers run out of money. New guns will be announced at SHOT, and the guys who change guns faster than they change their underwear will move on to the next Gun of the Month.

By then, enough road tests will be out to show how it really performs, which is already good. No hiccups yet, unlike some of the others.

If it's CCW, it's polymer, and double stack isn't really the point. That's for a combat handgunner, not discreet carry in an office environment. As long as Glock refuses to make a single stack, they don't have a grip on the genre. :)

will919
September 29, 2012, 01:28 AM
I like and have owned the following
PF-9
CM9
I have also shot the Glock 26....nice

All things considered, price, size, concealability, recoil, reliability and accuracy I would choose the Kahr CM9. But any of the above would serve you well.

klmspider
September 29, 2012, 02:36 AM
Own two PF9's, one Kahr CM40, one P250 40.
You said price and pure functionality.
Then, you are pretty much left with the PF 9.
Smallest and cheap! The CM40 is not much more,
and a bit nicer. They hit you good for magazines.
My PF 9's just keep on working. The are just
plain small. That means compromises and in ability
to aim and control fast shooting. Short barrels mean
it is more difficult to have a round go up a feeding
ramp reliably. I used closed-nosed "critical defense"
or "Guard Dog" to increase feed reliability for carry.
Practice all the time with cheaper FMJ.
I love my P250, but it is more $$, and not as small.
The trigger is unique but you can learn to use it reliably.
P250 magazines are costly.
I've had little to complain about the PF 9. Just be sure
to NOT use steel-cased ammo. Steel-cased ammo just
doesn't seem to feed reliably.

klmspider
September 29, 2012, 02:39 AM
Oh, yeah, my P250 is a 2SUM,
it has the full length version, and
the subcompact. My above comments
are about the subcompact.
The full length is much bigger,
and, of course, easier to aim, shoot,
and feeds without a hitch.
But, to conceal it, I'd have to gain
a hundred pounds.

Inebriated
September 29, 2012, 02:52 AM
Glock 26.

gamboolman
September 29, 2012, 11:30 AM
G-26
I wear everyday in Gulf Coast and jog and exercise and work around place sweating and dirty and in the rain - the Glocks go bang everytime and are the most reliable CCW that I know of. I have no allegiance to any manufacturer - Only to reliability.
We have - well alot of Glocks - :rolleyes:
If you don't want a pistol - have multiple S&W 642's - that is a good platform also. We have alot of S&W's also.... :D

fatcpa
September 29, 2012, 12:46 PM
Kahr CM9

gandog56
September 29, 2012, 05:08 PM
Glock 26.

Glock has yet to make a SINGLE pistol that doesn't feel like I'm holding a brick in my short fat fingered hand, and I hate the grip angle. Here's my compact. A S&W Bodyguard in .380 with built in laser.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/Gandog56/pix625088386.jpg

Inebriated
September 29, 2012, 10:27 PM
Glock has yet to make a SINGLE pistol that doesn't feel like I'm holding a brick in my short fat fingered hand, and I hate the grip angle. Here's my compact. A S&W Bodyguard in .380 with built in laser.

And that compares to a G26... how?

Warp
September 29, 2012, 10:53 PM
And that compares to a G26... how?

Looks weaker, harder to shoot, slightly easier to conceal.

MICHAEL T
September 29, 2012, 11:11 PM
I carry a Kel-Tec PF-9 a lot any more

exdetsgt
September 29, 2012, 11:35 PM
I'm surprised at the lack of familiarity with the recently released 9mm Beretta Nano. I recently bought one and have come to the conclusion that it's the best pocketable pistol I have ever owned. I've had Keltec, Kahr, Glock G26, LC9, etc., it's like most of the subcompacts - 6+1 - (excepting the G26 with its 10+1 capacity, but then again lots of folks, including myself, don't consider it something that will fit easily into a pants pocket), but the Nano seems to have fine build quality and has been (500+rounds) utterly reliable using a variety of ammo.

If you get the opportunity to shoot one, do so.

Inebriated
September 30, 2012, 12:12 AM
Looks weaker, harder to shoot, slightly easier to conceal.

While those are true, I meant it more in the sense that they're just a different class of weapon, and comparing seems kind of silly.

el Godfather
September 30, 2012, 05:36 PM
From you list, i will pick Sig Sauer P250 SC unless Glock 26 is tan colored with threaded barrel, SS Slide, night sights and selector switch (if legally possible based upon your location).

TennJed
September 30, 2012, 07:30 PM
I'm surprised at the lack of familiarity with the recently released 9mm Beretta Nano. I recently bought one and have come to the conclusion that it's the best pocketable pistol I have ever owned. I've had Keltec, Kahr, Glock G26, LC9, etc., it's like most of the subcompacts - 6+1 - (excepting the G26 with its 10+1 capacity, but then again lots of folks, including myself, don't consider it something that will fit easily into a pants pocket), but the Nano seems to have fine build quality and has been (500+rounds) utterly reliable using a variety of ammo.

If you get the opportunity to shoot one, do so.

My last purchase was a Sig p290. I had it narrowed down to the Sig and the Nano. I went with the sig only because of the slide lock and ability to use an ext 8 rd mag. My research was very favorable to the beretta nano. I would no hesitate to pick one up

exdetsgt
October 1, 2012, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the response, TennJed. I, too, hesitated about the lack of a slide lock, but then when I learned that it locks back automatically on an empty mag, I decided that's all that really matters anyway, and on the plus side the lack of a slide lock contributes to its narrow profile. If I want - for whatever reason - to lock back the slide I simply insert an empty mag. I'm not sure if Beretta makes an extended mag for the Nano yet, but if and when they do I'll certainly buy one.

psyopspec
October 1, 2012, 01:30 PM
Since you said it would be for strong side IWB, I vote Glock 26. Mine has never failed, and in contrast to other posters I haven't had any difficulty concealing mine (medium to slim-framed body, 30" waist, crossbreed holster and belt).

INMY01TA
October 2, 2012, 08:49 PM
I have a PF9 and like it alot but I'd go with the Shield.

SIGLBER
October 3, 2012, 10:49 AM
If I could get a Shield it would be first. I got tired of waiting and got an LC9. It's been 100%. Those would be my choices.

Godsgunman
October 3, 2012, 11:16 AM
CZ Rami for sure! I just got one and I love it. The ergos are very nice. Very accurate gun. I prefer hammer fired vs striker fired and its alot prettier than the Blocks and just as reliable. I have the 10 rnd mag and 2 14s.

gandog56
October 10, 2012, 12:32 AM
I can't speak to any of the others on your list, but my G26 has been flawless in every way.

Well, other than the fact that Glock has never made even ONE pistol that felt comfortable in my short fat fingered hand.............:neener:

TCBPATRIOT
October 11, 2012, 01:52 AM
I'd say PF-9, It feels good in my hand.

mdauben
October 24, 2012, 11:56 AM
Which one would you get, and why?

For belt carry:

Glock 26. Reliable, good combat accuracy, available with night sights, adequate cartridge. Given the choice, I personally would prefer a Glock 19, however. Slightly larger size IMO make it much easier to shoot without significant penalty for concealment, plus a few more shots per mag.

For pocket carry:

Ruger LC9. Fairly Reliable, good combat accuracy, available with laser sights, adequate cartridge. Again, given the choice, however, I would pick a Kahr CM9. Slightly smaller for easier pocket carry, better sights, better trigger. IIRC, the Kahr is a bit more expensive, though.

Bobson
October 24, 2012, 12:05 PM
The G26. What can I say? My experience with Glock has left me extremely impressed. There are very few other handgun brands I'm even interested in anymore.

Having said that, I have zero experience with any of the firearms you listed. I carry a G19 IWB, but would be just as comforted with the G26 - and definitely a bit more comfortable. Win/win situation IMHO.

Motownfire
October 24, 2012, 11:26 PM
Glock 26, hands down. My carry gun has been my Glock 27 for years & my wife's favorite carry gun is her Glock 26. They are as reliable as it gets & are very easy to conceal.

Shoot66
October 26, 2012, 05:34 AM
I EDC-ed a CZ 2075 P for 2 years, my brother his G19 and my best friend his G26. None of us would have swapped them.

DAdams
October 26, 2012, 10:37 AM
So what is it going to be?

I didn't read the entire thread but the Springfield XDs in .45 is available for $525.
6-7 rounds of .45.
Just not a pocket gun, IMO, but there are some that do it.
Getting good reviews.

Skribs
October 26, 2012, 02:40 PM
Haven't read the rest of the thread, but I would definitely vote G26. Although, if you are considering both G26 and Shield, might want to look at M&P 9C as well. Only slightly bigger than the Glock, but carries two more rounds.

The smiling swordsman
October 26, 2012, 03:08 PM
I am in the same boat as you. So far I have narrowed it down to:

1. Shield
2. PPS
3. Nano

I'm not sure there is a loser on your list.

gym
October 28, 2012, 01:06 AM
I have had all but 2 on your list now. i nixed the LC9, even after installing the Calloway trigger, it had reset problems, that made it necessary to grind and polish the trigger. I finally got that straightened out, but the internals of that weapon are made like crap.
My first impression was wrong, after a complete dissasemblly down to every main part, the quality of the trigger spring, trigger bar and frame are real junk.
The entire firing mechinism depends on a piece of misaligned wound spring thinner than the thinnest paper clip that doesn't even fasten to the weapon, rather floats under the trigger bar.
Along with that ,every time you clean your gun, you are pushing against the trigger bar to remove the pin that holds on the slide, and the Firing pin stop is held in, by the rear sight, which comes loose even if you locktight it, "which then makes it impossible to adjust.
My advice is to remove that gun and the Keltec. Go with the 26 or the shield, I traded the ruger back to the gun store that I bought it from and it cost me $100 to correct a mistake, the M&P is in 40 and is very well made. The magazine in the lc9 was even starting to slide the baseplate off, "by the way I have a spare unused lc9 mag I kept as it was bought seperate from the gun, contact me if interested.
Get a quality gun, I never would have bought that ruger if I could have seen how it was assembled. that's why parts like springs are $2.00 on the website, they are poor quality. They may shoot for a year of light handeling, but the way it's made it has to fail.

Jaymo
October 28, 2012, 12:46 PM
I'd get the SR9C, Taurus Millennium Pro, or the Kel Tec.

Giterboosted
October 28, 2012, 09:52 PM
It's not on the list and unless used it will be a bit more but I couldn't be ANY. Happier with my kahr PM45, it's pocket carry size, accurate as I want it to be, and it's a .45, need I say more

ZeSpectre
October 28, 2012, 09:57 PM
I'm giving a +1 on the Walther PPS.
I generally carry it OWB and sometimes I forget it's there! As much as I love my SIG 229 I never, NEVER forget it's there <grin>.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which of these subcompacts would you get?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!