Circles on cartridge head

PDA

HOWARD J
September 22, 2012, 12:41 AM
I have a new set of shell holders
On my 9 MM cases I noticed a circle appearing on the case head just outside the primer pocket. I thought it was the gun (or too heavy load ) but it was the shell holder making the circle in the brass head as I resized the case---anyone have this problem ?
I does not appear to cause any problem other than looks.
It does not cut very deep--maybe 32 inch

If you enjoyed reading about "Circles on cartridge head" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Certaindeaf
September 22, 2012, 12:51 AM
Is it a Lee shellholder? You might want to get an RCBS as the Lee uses the same shellholder, dimensionally, for too many cartridges, in my opinion.

It don't fit too good in other words.

Is it around the rim or around the primer area?

Josh45
September 22, 2012, 12:52 AM
Can you post a pic so others can get a better understanding of what your talking about?

bds
September 22, 2012, 12:53 AM
+1. A picture would be nice.

HOWARD J
September 22, 2012, 12:58 AM
It is a set of Lee shell holders---my RCBS does not do it.
It is a circle less than 1/16" past the primer pocket

Certaindeaf
September 22, 2012, 01:00 AM
The Lee in some cases are a bit sloppy, if you have an RCBS shellholder, use that.

HOWARD J
September 22, 2012, 01:07 AM
I will stick with RCBS
I was happy to see that it was not one of my guns.

I have about 10,000 rds thru the gun I was using---nickel plated P-35
Still holding up good--Belgium made.

Certaindeaf
September 22, 2012, 01:09 AM
Ah, upon reading your OP again, it's probably OK.
First I thought it was affecting the rim and then that the primer seater wasn't lining up right.
I'd still use the RCBS holder if you have it.

Chawbaccer
September 22, 2012, 07:56 AM
You would have to have a pretty wicked burr around the hole in the shell holder to make such a mark, and just how much pressure are you using to re-size 9mm?. Are you sure it isn't a primer crimp?

helotaxi
September 22, 2012, 10:42 AM
If the burr was that large, how do you get the case into the shell holder?

HOWARD J
September 22, 2012, 01:25 PM
I put a 9MM case into the Lee shell holder---turn it over--see where the brass ends & the circle of the shell holder starts---that edge is higher than the rest of the shell holder making the circle in the brass case.
Took me a while to find it as you can't see it with your eye.
$$$$ happens :banghead:

helotaxi
September 22, 2012, 01:41 PM
If that's the case, hit it with a case chamfering tool to knock that ridge down.

HOWARD J
September 22, 2012, 01:53 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img193/6051/dsc03392c.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/dsc03392c.jpg/)

helotaxi
September 22, 2012, 01:58 PM
A chamfer tool or a large drill bit turned by hand will take care of that.

buck460XVR
September 22, 2012, 01:59 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img193/6051/dsc03392c.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/dsc03392c.jpg/)

Looks like an easy way to identify your empties at the range.......

rcmodel
September 22, 2012, 02:18 PM
That is a military type primer crimp.

Your shell holder couldn't do that to brass.

There is no possible way you can be pushing on the case hard enough while sizing to swage a ring in a brass case head.

rc

helotaxi
September 22, 2012, 02:29 PM
RC- I disagree. It's way to far out on the case head and way too shallow to be a crimp. The edge of the primer pocket is still pristine.

If the burr is very sharp, it wouldn't take much pressure to mark the case.

rcmodel
September 22, 2012, 02:39 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=8018298&postcount=22

rc

HOWARD J
September 22, 2012, 02:41 PM
There was no military primers in these CBC cases
I can put any brass cartridge 9MM case in this shell holder & put that mark on it
5 boxes of 50 cartridges with that mark
It will go in the garbage---most of my Lee products work good. That
cute close up photo makes it look worse than it is.
In most cases you have to look real hard to see the mark--5 boxes & I finally spotted it.

Chawbaccer
September 22, 2012, 02:49 PM
That is Brazilian brass, I have seen it before, it is crimped.
http://http://www.gunknowledge.com/Ammunition/Headstamps/Foreign/CBC/F_CBC_9Para.jpg

HOWARD J
September 22, 2012, 03:08 PM
I ourchased it new---it was nice & purddy--NO CRIMP
I still have some of the new
I don't see any cut marks on that case ???????

rcmodel
September 22, 2012, 03:22 PM
Well the question in my mind is still how you could possibly exert enough force while sizing a 9mm case to swage a ring like that in a solid brass case head??

At least without some internal support to keep from tearing the rim off first.

Any chance the de-priming rod is screwed down too far and supporting the case from the inside at full ram travel??

rc

HOWARD J
September 22, 2012, 03:37 PM
I checked on that first off
It is as high as I can get it & still pop the primer
Strange case
I am on my way to buy a couple new RCBS # 16 shell holders

I did try to fix the Lee but there was 3/16" of circle I could not get off-
I give up easy now---comes from old age

helotaxi
September 23, 2012, 02:38 AM
It only looks like a light imprint. Nothing like a primer crimp. Considering that ring is the only place that the head would be touching the shell holder it wouldn't take much force to do that.

I'd be interested in someone putting a strain gauge on a shell holder while sizing a 9mm. I' wager the pressure is higher than we'd think but the tiny case makes it seem like a small amount.

FROGO207
September 23, 2012, 08:14 AM
I bet if you send the shell holder back to Lee with an explanation of what is wrong they will make it right. I would want them to see that they have a problem that they might need to correct for others. After all you did pay for a product that should work as designed.

Mobuck
September 23, 2012, 08:43 AM
Yup, LEE will replace that shellholder. You'll be out a buck to send it back.

Lizard1911
September 23, 2012, 08:45 AM
RC: I believe that you are focused on the primer too much. I also believe the OP is referring to the light imprint outside the primer area, through the headstamp. just visible near the bottom of the L in LUGER

buck460XVR
September 23, 2012, 12:17 PM
Yup, LEE will replace that shellholder. You'll be out a buck to send it back.

I'm cheap, but I won't pay a buck to exchange a $3 POS for another. I'll spend another 5 and get something decent. A photo and an e-mail should suffice to get a free replacement, without the expense and bother to ship the old one back. If not, I'd move on.

jcwit
September 23, 2012, 12:31 PM
I think its a whole bunch of to do about nothing.

If the reloads feed and chamber easily and go bang, and are accurate, so it leaves a ring. BFD

rcmodel
September 23, 2012, 12:48 PM
RC: I believe that you are focused on the primer too much.I believe you are right!!

I can see it clearly now.

Maybe I need new glasses??

rc

dickttx
September 23, 2012, 08:14 PM
Why would that circle on the base make any difference at all?

HOWARD J
September 23, 2012, 08:26 PM
It don't make a difference to you---to me it does.
I like my cases clean & neat

jcwit
September 23, 2012, 08:40 PM
Not everything in life is perfect, at least that, that is made by man.

Some things just need to be lived with.

HOWARD J
September 23, 2012, 08:44 PM
jcwit
Find someone else to pick on
I tire easily

jcwit
September 23, 2012, 09:06 PM
Not picking on anyone, sorry if you take it that way.

Just mentioned 2 facts of living.

If the circle bothers you that much, toss what you have and purchase new equipment, not that big a thing.

bds
September 24, 2012, 01:59 AM
Perhaps if you could borrow a Lee shell holder and see if you can duplicate the "ring". If you can't, you have a compelling basis to call Lee customer service and talk to the friendly ladies.

wardor
September 24, 2012, 10:05 AM
Are you using a "bulge buster" it looks like the ring from the push rod.

Certaindeaf
September 24, 2012, 10:50 AM
Hmm, there's a thought. The OP said the brass was "nice and purdy" and new but with SS pin polishing rigs very commonly used these days, the question must be asked where were these bought and from whom. Was it a factory?

bds
September 24, 2012, 11:06 AM
Are you using a "bulge buster" it looks like the ring from the push rod.
OP is having issues with 9mm cases. While the "Bulge Buster" kits use FCD to push-through resize the bulged "straight walled" semi-auto cases, it won't work with tapered 9mm cases and you'll note the "Bulge Buster" kit is not available for 9mm - http://leeprecision.com/case-conditioning-tools/lee-bulge-buster-kit/
NOTE: 9mm cases are not able to be used in the Bulge Buster because it has a slightly tapered case

HOWARD J
September 24, 2012, 11:41 AM
You know--some of you guys could be making money trolling--this is an election year.
500 of these cases purchased from MidwayUSA---NEW CASES--NOT USED

:neener::neener::neener::neener::neener:

jcwit
September 25, 2012, 08:07 PM
OK, I guess you think I'm trolling, even tho I did not post any replys till post 29. You seem to have a minor problem with something leaving a ring on new brass, it bothers you, so obviously you wish a fix to the problem.

I have no idea what you might need to do to fix this, personnally I wouldn't worry about it but thats not good enough for you. So I hope you find a solution to this and let all the rest of us know what to do in the future.

Good luck.

HOWARD J
September 25, 2012, 08:26 PM
Check out post 23
problem solved
BTW---I missed the site when it was down---even you jc

jcwit
September 25, 2012, 08:57 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh gee, I was missed. lol

Have a good one!

If you enjoyed reading about "Circles on cartridge head" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!