Nosler 240gr JHP #44842

PDA

buck460XVR
September 22, 2012, 01:42 PM
Anybody else having a problem with them? Have been using them for years with good success, but with the last box of 250 I have found the cannelure to be all over the place and sometimes non-existent. At first I thought it was a fluke and just tossed the first few, but last night after sitting down to reload 200 shells, it seemed about 1 in 20 were like this. Most had the cannelure barely visible at the very top if the jacket. Hope the crappy picture shows what I'm talkin' about.....on the right is a normal bullet, on the left is the problem.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/buckanddot/bucks/Noslerbullets_zps108624fa.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Nosler 240gr JHP #44842" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
powell&hyde
September 22, 2012, 04:57 PM
Call or e-mail Nosler and tell them the problem and send the pics to prove it. They are a good company and will stand behind their products. And don't toss any in the trash in case Nosler wants them back.

CraigC
September 22, 2012, 05:08 PM
That is awfully strange. Looks like something was definitely amiss with that batch. Call Nosler, surely they will replace them.

They probably won't ask for the bad ones back. I have a cannelure tool and would put a proper cannelure in them and just use them for blasting.

buck460XVR
September 22, 2012, 05:44 PM
I've e-mailed them already. Their Customer Service is only open 8-4:30 M-F. Since it was last night after 6:00 when I realized it was a major problem and not just one or two bullets, I have to wait till Monday. Just thought I check here and see if anyone else had run across the same thing. As I said before, I chucked several of the bullets before I realized it was not just a fluke. I also ended up loading several of them and didn't notice til I tried to crimp them that something was wrong. I figured they'd still be fine to shoot as long as they were the first ones in the cylinder and it was just range fun. Coupla weeks ago I opened the box and used 50 to finish a batch started with another box and had two that got loaded and two I chucked. Once I got farther into the box and realized that 10% of them were like that, I started to be concerned. Problem is, I have 8 more boxes of 250 sittin' on the bench, half JHPs for range use and half JSPs for huntin'. Since none have the same lot # on them I'm gonna wait to find out from Nosler if I just got a box from a bad lot or if I need to open them all and look. Again, I've loaded thousands of these exact same bullets over the years, plus thousands of their .357 JHPs with never a problem. Their 240gr JSP is my favorite deer bullet outta the 629s and the .44 carbines. I'm thinkin' they will make it right.

wild willy
September 22, 2012, 05:47 PM
I got some that the cannelure was lower then it should have been about the width of the cannelure.I also got a undersized bullet a .44 200 gr that measured .426. Just fell in the case thought I had missed a case with a split neck.Tried calling there phone was always busy.Forgot about it till I saw this post.Buck you posted while I was typing the box I had was a year or so old but I have a couple of newer boxes.I better check them.There was only a couple in the old box I had.

CraigC
September 22, 2012, 06:33 PM
They may already be aware of the problem and can tell you which lots were affected. Let us know what you hear back.

CZ57
September 22, 2012, 11:23 PM
A few years ago I ran into some problems with light or no skives on their .40 S&W 150 gr. JHP. No problem! NOSLER asked me to return a few and replaced the entire 250 round bulk pack. They'll do you right. ;)

buck460XVR
October 29, 2012, 06:09 PM
A few years ago I ran into some problems with light or no skives on their .40 S&W 150 gr. JHP. No problem! NOSLER asked me to return a few and replaced the entire 250 round bulk pack. They'll do you right. ;)

Yep....exactly what they did. After a few e-mails with Mike @ CS, I sent in 3 of the defective bullets and was surprised to see a box on the porch a coupla weeks later with a 250 count box of 240gr JHPs.

If you enjoyed reading about "Nosler 240gr JHP #44842" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!