What backup parts should I have on hand for Colt DS?

PDA

kdave21
September 23, 2012, 07:10 AM
Or any V-spring Colt for that matter? Which parts are most prone to breakage and wear over time? Parts are getting more and more scarce, and I want to start collecting them while still (somewhat) available.

If you enjoyed reading about "What backup parts should I have on hand for Colt DS?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Remllez
September 23, 2012, 07:59 AM
Hands, v springs, internals, screws, anything you come across that's reasonable, however you still need a skilled smith to fit these parts up.

Old Fuff
September 23, 2012, 11:10 AM
You may be surprised to learn that a gunsmith who is qualified to work on older Colt's that originated around 1908 can often put a revolver that is out-of-time back to what it should be without having to replace any parts.

Also, because certain lockwork parts were hand fitted you need new, not used replacement parts, and over the years some of those parts were changed so the replacements must be time-of-production specific.

To answer your question requires knowing when your particular Detective Special was made, but I wouldn't invest a lot of money in parts you probably wouldn't need, unless the piece sees a lot more then usual shooting.

One thing I will recommend you get is something most folks don't think of. Buy one or two extra extractor rod heads - they sometimes come unscrewed and get lost. Replacement does not require a gunsmith.

royal barnes
September 23, 2012, 03:33 PM
I agree with Old Fuff. Extractor rod heads. About 5 years ago my gunsmith buddy bought tooling and parts from an old timer who had retired and moved to our area. One of the items he bought was a tackle box full of Colt parts to fit all DA revolvers. One of the small zip lock bags contained about twenty extractor rod heads. He didn't pay a lot for any of the things he purchased. I am fortunate that he not only has the parts but also knows how to work on the Colts.:)

kdave21
September 23, 2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the input fellas. There is a gentlemen offering Colt parts over on the Colt forum, and I thought it might be a good opportunity to pick up some spares. I ended up buying a hand for one of my revolvers, only because I know the one on it has been stretched already, and the gunsmith told me it would not be able to be stretched again. I spent $45 for a factory original hand for a gun that was 80 or 90 years old, not too bad. I figured I could always resell it if I decided I didnt want it.
I also bought a mainspring for my DS, and a hammer shroud, mainly because the price was right, although I will not be putting it on my DS that I carry. Im not sure what I will do with it.

but I wouldn't invest a lot of money in parts you probably wouldn't need, unless the piece sees a lot more then usual shooting.

Thank you for this advice. I think I will probably relax a bit about parts, as most of my guns see far less than the normal amount of shooting.

One thing I will recommend you get is something most folks don't think of. Buy one or two extra extractor rod heads - they sometimes come unscrewed and get lost. Replacement does not require a gunsmith.

This is the second time I have been told this...must be true! Good advice, and a cheap investment. I think this guy is selling them for $10 so might as well do it while Im at it.

16in50calNavalRifle
September 24, 2012, 02:51 AM
Old Fuff, I assume your guidance would apply equally to a Colt Magnum Carry? That is, no point in buying spare parts in advance, apart from an extractor rod head? I do shoot this little thing a fair amount and plan to continue doing so, and I have wondered about this same question.

rcmodel
September 25, 2012, 09:22 PM
Just so everyone is real clear::

Ejector Rod Head = The little knurled round thing under the barrel.

Not the star-shaped thing on the other end that rotates the cylinder and ejects the empty cases.

rc

Old Fuff
September 25, 2012, 11:10 PM
Old Fuff, I assume your guidance would apply equally to a Colt Magnum Carry? That is, no point in buying spare parts in advance, apart from an extractor rod head? I do shoot this little thing a fair amount and plan to continue doing so, and I have wondered about this same question.

Unfortunately the Magnum Carry, while an excellent revolver, was only made for a short time and the internal lockwork was somewhat changed. So to a degree the "insides" are unique. Check with Colt and maybe Numrich Arms (www.gunpartscorp.com) to see what parts might be available. The only complaint I know of had to do with a weak trigger reurn spring.

Considering it's growing collectors' value I would lay off .357 Magnum ammunition except for carry and limited practice.

If you enjoyed reading about "What backup parts should I have on hand for Colt DS?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!