Lubrisizer

PDA

blarby
September 23, 2012, 11:59 AM
Taking recommendations for a lubrisizer.

The saeco looks like a good one, and I have some good reviews on that- but it comes with quite the price tag- as do all the accessories.

I'm really just looking for something that will use homebrew lube, and apply it.

I'm not really worried about sizing capability- mainly just the lubing aspect.

Any advice on what you use ?

If you enjoyed reading about "Lubrisizer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
john16443
September 23, 2012, 12:05 PM
Is plain old pan lubing with your hjome brew out of the question?

jcwit
September 23, 2012, 12:12 PM
I have and use 2 of the old Lyman 45's. Both work just fine for lubing and seating Gas Checks. I also use home made lube which works just fine all year except in the dead of winter at times I need to warm up the luber/sizer with a clip on brooder lamp using a std. 100 watt bulb.

To bad you're not near me, yesterday I saw a used current model Lyman at a local gun store for the big price of $50.00, complete with 4 or 6 sizing dies, and other misc. stuff in the box.

JohnM
September 23, 2012, 12:16 PM
Yow! What a buy!

jcwit
September 23, 2012, 12:50 PM
Yes it would be for someone, I didn't get it as I'm happy with my set up. Let someone else have at it.

Walkalong
September 23, 2012, 01:54 PM
The saeco looks like a good one,It is. I have an old one and have no complaints.

ReloaderFred
September 23, 2012, 02:06 PM
I have all the current models of lubrisizers, Lyman, RCBS, Saeco and Star. I use them all for different applications, and for different lubes.

It will depend on your needs. If you cast and shoot a lot, especially handgun rounds, the Star/Magma is the way to go. I have five of these, all set up for different bullets and lubes, with two of them set up with bullet feeders, so I can really crank out the sized and lubed bullets.

The Saeco are high quality and you can sometimes find them used for a reasonable price, normally in the $75.00 to $90.00 range. I have two of these, and use them mainly for rifle bullets that require gas checks. One is set up for .45-70 bullets that are lubed with SPG for black powder use. The other is set up with a hard lube that requires heat, and it's used for both rifle and handgun bullets that I don't make a lot of.

The Lyman 450 is the one I started with in 1968 or so, when I finally got into casting bullets, after having reloaded for over five years. That one is the least used these days, but it still comes in handy once in awhile for some specialty bullets. That one is used with 50/50 Alox lube, which requires no heat.

The RCBS was given to me several years ago and it's used for some bullets that are for my .45-120, since it is filled with a special lube just for those bullets.

If you're not into high volume casting, any of the Lyman, RCBS or Saeco machines will do just fine. They are all made on the same principal, push the bullet down into the die, which sizes and lubes it, then push it back up where it can be lifted off the die. It's a little slow, but works just fine if you're not in a big hurry.

The Star/Magma machines differ in that they push the bullet straight through the die and it drops out the bottom when the next bullet is pushed down on top of it. The bottom of the handle stroke activates the lube pump, which shoves the lube through the holes in the die and into the lube grooves. These are high volume machines. I like these, since I normally cast pistol bullets in runs of several thousand at a time on my Magma Master Caster, and also some rifle bullets.

Once you decide which machine to buy, you'll also need sizing dies and top punches, too. That's something to consider when choosing a machine, since prices vary, as well as supply.

Again, your choice should be dictated by your needs.

Hope this helps.

Fred

blarby
September 23, 2012, 08:07 PM
Thank you , Fred.

Your advice as always, reflects your experience- and its greatly appreciated.

Your description reflects where i'm a little stuck : Volume.

My volume started out small... but has been increasing every month it seems.

Last month I cast and used about 2500 bullets- I may cast and use somewhere in the neighborhood of 5000 next month. I'm lost on what I want in terms of volume.

*shakes fist at JC* I coulda traded you for that !

jcwit
September 23, 2012, 08:09 PM
blarby, for the quanty you seem to be looking at, I'd get a Star. I don't have one, but I do know they sure are a lot faster.

blarby
September 23, 2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

*looks at star/ magma*

It looks like these all take stick lubes... am I missing something ? Or can that lube holder just be filled with whatever sort of lube you choose to ?

RustyFN
September 23, 2012, 09:04 PM
blarby, for the quanty you seem to be looking at, I'd get a Star. I don't have one, but I do know they sure are a lot faster.

I couldn't agree more. Here is a video of one in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCtLi8i7tMg

ReloaderFred
September 23, 2012, 09:49 PM
Most commercial sizer/lubricators take a tube of lube, either with a hole down the middle of the stick, or solid, as that's how most lubes are marketed. If you choose to make your own lube, which I've done in the past, but no longer do, then you can either make your lube into stick form, or pour it in liquid form directly into the lube reservoir and let it harden.

I found that making my own lube was time consuming and messy, and for me not worth the effort. There are many quality lubes on the market, from many different vendors. I'd rather make bullets, and let someone else spend the time to make the lube.

The Lyman and RCBS machines use a "hollow stick" tube of lube, while the Star and Saeco machines use "solid stick" lubes. Any of them can be filled with a melted lube, if you prefer.

Hope this helps.

Fred

blarby
September 23, 2012, 11:37 PM
Looks like im gonna be stuck with expensive either way- as I'm not looking to use, or mold, lube "tubes".

ReloaderFred
September 24, 2012, 12:22 AM
Lube is the cheapest part of the whole process. There are several vendors that sell it quite a bit cheaper than the big outfits. Once you get set up, I'll steer you to some of them.

I buy the bulk of my lube from Magma, who sells it by the pound, which equals 9 sticks of solid lube. It's currently $15.00 per pound, but they will sell it by the stick for $1.70 each, all plus shipping. Those lubes require a heater.

There are others, such as White Label, Jake's, etc. They are all cheaper than Midway, Midsouth, or the other major supply houses, where it averages about $4.50 per stick, depending on the brand.

There are also other sources for dies that are cheaper, and in most cases the quality is as good, or better, than the manufacturers.

The convenience of a machine is well worth the expense, believe me.

Hope this helps.

Fred

blarby
October 2, 2012, 06:13 PM
So, I ordered a lubrisizer.

Went with a saeco.

I figure go with what you know, and what works- even if its a little more pricey.

RustyFN
October 2, 2012, 08:55 PM
Check out this place for lube. Great prices and great lube.
http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

blarby
October 3, 2012, 03:39 PM
Ok, I looked at that spot, LArs' lube or whatever.

Unfortunately, they take only paypal or mail in check.

Thats not a wide selection for e-commerce........

Anyway- I liked the properties of their carnuba red lube. If I could find something like that, priced somewhat like that, that actually took cards over the net- I would probably take it.

NeuseRvrRat
October 3, 2012, 03:46 PM
paypal is kind of a standard in e-commerce

maybe you're the picky one :P

jcwit
October 3, 2012, 04:15 PM
Nothing wrong with PayPal, it safe, at least as safe as any other credit card, its fast, my account uses a prepaid debit card with only so much in it. I orginally got it to pay for gas without having to run inside the station. Works very well for PayPal.

blarby
October 3, 2012, 04:17 PM
Well, not gonna have the pay-pal debate again.

CC works just fine- without having payevil in between.

So.....

Looks like cast boolits is a no-go. Another weird, yet short story. Makes me like THR even better !

Gonna try some thompsons, and go from there.

Their website ordering is glitchy- but they called me right back and took my order over the phone- can't beat that.

jcwit
October 3, 2012, 04:27 PM
Don't remember having a debate about PayPal. Any way, your option, and no lube from Lars.

Personally I concoct my own using beeswax, paraffin, paste auto carnuba wax and mineral oil if needed for the consistency I desire.

blarby
October 3, 2012, 04:59 PM
I'd certainly like to know of any recipes that form a very hard, transportable lube on the bullet.

I tried going to CB- never again........

Anywho, if anyone has any recipes that are close to the hard red canuba lube from lars, I'd be all ears.

Steel185
October 3, 2012, 07:04 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

All cast bullet items are covered here very well. There is a specific section just for lubes and lube recipies. Its a great source for the "extra hobby" of casting and lubing. Check it out, i usually float between this one for reloading, and that one for casting.

Oh and I'd recomend a Star for that volume, nothing else will go that fast for you.

blarby
October 4, 2012, 12:17 AM
Ya, im never going back to that website ever again.

Thanks though :)

dragon813gt
October 4, 2012, 01:21 PM
Ya, im never going back to that website ever again.

Thanks though :)

Your loss. Especially since you went w/ a Saeco. There are members there that make sizing dies for it at a fraction of the cost you'll pay for factory ones. I don't know what problem you had there. But I've seen to many people give downright wrong information here about shooting cast.

You're also missing out by not using White Label Lubes. Lars and his wife are two of the nicest people around and go out of their way to help customers. They were sending sample packs for free up until recently. Now they just want a few dollars to help cover shipping. They are a mom and pop shop that doesn't want to set up a merchant services account. I can't blame them.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

blarby
October 4, 2012, 01:48 PM
I'll say its their loss, and leave it at that.

Offfhand
October 4, 2012, 02:20 PM
Mr. Blarby, you did well by buying the SAECO tool. It's the best, especially for lubing cast rifle bullets.

blarby
October 4, 2012, 09:11 PM
Thank you.

That will be one of its uses- for certain.

According to midway, it should be showing up tomorrow.

My lube however, will not arrive until monday, I believe.

blarby
October 11, 2012, 04:35 AM
My first run using the machine.

Black lube looks great on the bullets, but does not photo well >.<

The spots where it looks like some lube is missing on the bullets is just where the lube is whiter than normal.

It actually works really well.

Thanks ReloaderFred for all of your help today.

A special shoutout goes to Dave @ PacWest gunsmithing in Eugene as well. Your advice was key !

Still not 100% sure where the sizers permanent home is gonna be- but this works great for now.

I'd also like to thank Rodney @ Thompson Bullet Lube Company. ( www.bulletlube.com ) The internet was not being friendly to me, and he called me right back to find out what the problem was, and took my order right over the phone. He not only cooked up a special batch of black lube just for me, but got it to me faster than midway got me my new sizer die set- and they were ordered on the same day ! THAT is service- and well worth mentioning. Keep that batch of black handy- you guys got my business for a long, long time. Rodney : the bullet lube performs in the sizer exactly as you said it would- without even fiddling with temp on my heater. It cools super hard, and i'm on to my roughly 500th bullet now, and no more white stuff ! Your lube rocks !

Today was a trying day for me and this sizer, but it worked out in the end, and I'm happy with the product I got.

James2
October 11, 2012, 11:58 AM
I keep some bees, so have plenty of wax. I have a friend who takes the wax and mixes it with liquid alox to get the right consistency then pours it into molds that make the hollow center tubes for the Lyman lubrisizer. So he supplies me with lube sticks and I furnish the wax.

blarby
October 11, 2012, 03:16 PM
Thats a good deal !

I just make solid sticks using PVC if I must.

Sometimes, bulk really is that much cheaper than buying sticks...sometimes it isn't :D

In this case, I just bought the wrong size. Easy fix !

blarby
October 12, 2012, 01:50 AM
Close, but no cigar........

If you bother to count these, you will know why I am furious !

:fire:

Its not what you think.......

ReloaderFred
October 12, 2012, 11:29 AM
Yep, you're 2 short of what you need.........

Fred

blarby
October 13, 2012, 12:12 AM
Irritating, isn't it ?

Ever had those moments ?

ReloaderFred
October 13, 2012, 12:44 AM
Yep, today was one of them.

Fred

If you enjoyed reading about "Lubrisizer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!