Anyone a loader for .327?

PDA

Ehtereon11B
September 23, 2012, 05:53 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, wife just picked up a Taurus M327. Since ammo is a little obscure it will probably join the list of calibers I reload for but there isn't much reloading data for it. And the ones I do find are for the longer Ruger barrels. If you load .327 what do you use?

I am leaning towards:
CCI 500 primers
Hornady XTP 85grain

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone a loader for .327?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SlowFuse
September 23, 2012, 06:40 PM
What powders do you have on hand?

I use HP-38. For the projectile you mentioned Hodgdon lists 5.5 to 6.0 grains of this powder.

I have been loading a 100 grain FN Missouri Bullet with 5.0 grains of the HP-38. It has been a good plinking load so far.

tightgroup tiger
September 23, 2012, 07:05 PM
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

I have a 3" sp101 and I load 1 gr under max load of Li'll gun. It shoots good that way but you may want to use something a little faster.

Hodgdon has a lot of data on it.

JLDickmon
September 23, 2012, 07:08 PM
I'd have to start you off with a bit slower of a powder than HP38 and a heavier bullet.. you have plenty of room in the case to make a decent load..

I'd go a 100 gr bullet (like an XTP 100) and start around 7.2gr of 2400 (one of my .32 H&R loads) and go from there...

what you have there is basically a modern version of the 32-20 WCF.

You have darn near the volume of a .38 case. Use it.

SlowFuse
September 23, 2012, 08:21 PM
I agree on the powder, HP38 isn't ideal. Too fast. I haven't been loading pistol cartridges long so all I have are faster varieties. This has been a good one for light to medium loads.

I've heard 2400 gets some impressive velocities in this cartridge.

Ehtereon11B
September 25, 2012, 07:17 PM
The powders I have on hand are rifle powders. Some IMR 4064 and Hodgdon LR.

I would like to stick with 85gr as much as possible. She is rather recoil sensitive because of poor grip strength, part of the reason why she prefers revolvers over semi-autos. She has shot 85gr practice loads and liked the recoil. I might try Unique powder in it first since that is a fairly universal powder for pistols.

CZ57
September 25, 2012, 07:27 PM
Check out this data: www.ramshot.com ;)

SlowFuse
September 25, 2012, 08:45 PM
Ehtereon, have you thought about loading for the 32 S&W? I'm not sure if you know all of the calibers that this revolver can handle, but this is one of them. Also 32 H&R mag and 32 S&W (short) I haven't bothered trying the short. You could get brass for the long or the H&R and load the 85 grain. This weight you mention fits the S&W well, especially if you're just plinking.

This is an interesting article with select load data:
http://reloadammo.com/327fed-mag.htm

Online charts are going to be your best bet, not a lot of manuals have info on the 327 Fed Mag.

I have shot mostly 32 Longs with 100 grain wadcutters when I'm just punching paper and enjoy the very light recoil. Powder on the slower side will be more forgiving. I plan on buying some slower pistol powders since I will probably venture into loading more magnums soon.

How are you liking the Taurus? Mine was a little rough around the edges when I got it, but is smoothing out already. Shot some blackpowder out of it this past weekend... Felt odd using a modern pistol for that, but it was fun.

Ehtereon11B
September 25, 2012, 09:45 PM
That was part of the reason I liked the .327 so much. We are going to stock up on the .32 HR, .32S&Ws for plinking and small game/varmint shooting. We plan to buy some .327 factory ammo and reload more for it. The .327 rounds will mostly be for SD and (larger) game hunting. The bigger stockpile of ammo we can get the better.

Ehtereon11B
September 25, 2012, 11:29 PM
Sorry for the double post but I forgot to answer a question.

The Taurus is...different to say the least. We bought the 327 used and it was not well cared for at all. Quite a bit of rust (by my standards at least) on the ejector rod, hammer, and the trigger close to the frame. I spent a good hour cleaning it when we first got it home. Trigger pull and all functioning was quite a bit better after cleaning. It might take a trip to a gunsmith in the next few months to see if any parts need an overhaul but for now it is a safe queen.

Big JJ
October 27, 2012, 12:04 AM
Where do you get brass for reloading the 327 mag.
What is the cost of the brass?
How much does it cost per round to reload it.
I currently reload 38 specials+P's for 15 cents a round and 357 mag for about 18 cents per round.
I am wondering about the 327 cost vs my present reloads.
Can you tell I do like to shoot a lot.
I do like the versitilty of being able to down to the 32mag or 32 for practicing.

303tom
October 27, 2012, 12:19 AM
Im like tightgroup tiger, I use Hodgdon, usually get great numbers with them............

tightgroup tiger
October 27, 2012, 07:23 AM
Where do you get brass for reloading the 327 mag.

Natchez is the only company advertizing brass for the 327 Mag. I don't know if they have any in stock but I will call and ask today. I need some also.

Midway used to advertize it but never were able to get it in stock, I gave up on them.

I'm glad .312 JHP bullets aren't as hard to find as the brass.

SlowFuse
October 27, 2012, 08:40 AM
I got a few hundred pcs of Starline 327 from Grafs about a month ago. Looks like they're still in stock.

JJ asked about cost. For the Fed Mag my initial loading using all new components costs me right at $0.38 per round. Saving my brass for the next loading costs me about $0.14 per round. The big expense (as always) is the brass. As I said before, this is using a lead Missouri Bullet, Win primers and either Fed or Starline brass. Powder is HP38 so about 5 grains is all it takes. Probably can't count on range pick ups for this cal. If I switch the projectile to XTP/Gold Dot it comes out to about $0.25 using once fired brass.

I also load 32 longs using similar components for about $0.12 using once fired brass and lead.

CraigC
October 27, 2012, 08:43 AM
Last I heard Freedom Arms was stocking brass.

The big expense (as always) is the brass.
You should be able to use the cases enough times that the cost of brass is negligible.

JLDickmon
October 27, 2012, 08:49 AM
Kinda weird that Midway would not catalog Starline brass in that caliber..

looks like they're waiting for test brass from Federal..

CraigC
October 27, 2012, 09:11 AM
Looks like you can order it direct from Starline, forgot that they were producing it now.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/327--Federal-Mag/

targetback
October 27, 2012, 04:43 PM
I got some from a dealer at a gun show it was federal brass . That should be out there. target

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone a loader for .327?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!