Project gun or run?

PDA

bikemutt
September 23, 2012, 07:38 PM
Here's a Smith K-frame (19) for reasonably cheap. What on earth happened to the finish?

I can't tell if it was a blue gun that saw acid or a nickel gun that saw itself in the mirror and became scared to death.

Anyway, supposedly it works just fine, it just looks rather rough. I'm thinking if I got it cheap enough I could send it to Smith for a fresh nickel finish.

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr338/hcedmondson/15-3l_zps74cbfe55.jpg

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr338/hcedmondson/15-3r_zpsafc699c6.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Project gun or run?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Coal Dragger
September 23, 2012, 08:20 PM
No real collector value, I say send it off for a nice matte hard chrome finish to be applied. Then put some new stocks on it.

tightgroup tiger
September 23, 2012, 08:37 PM
I'd take a good close look at the bore, if it looks like the outside, my vote is run.

TennJed
September 24, 2012, 01:41 AM
If it functions fine, the bore is good, and is cheap enough (that is for you to decide) I would be all over it. Project guns are just another fun way to enjoy the hobbie. Don't get caught up in resale value. Do it up like you want it done and be proud of it. It is a nice feeling to know you saved a gun and brought new life to it

Guillermo
September 24, 2012, 02:53 AM
a heavy bead blast and then a dip in the blue and it will look parkerized.

make a great truck gun

bannockburn
September 24, 2012, 07:46 AM
Yeah what TennJed said. The finish looks sort of like what happens to a nickel plated gun if it was left submerged in Hoppes No. 9 for some time. If the gun checks out okay, then I would send it off to be hard chrome plated.

bikemutt
September 24, 2012, 10:24 AM
Not meant to be I guess. I went online to throw in my bid at starting price and found the seller had pulled the auction.

If you enjoyed reading about "Project gun or run?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!