Smith 686 with amazing scope mount

PDA

bikemutt
September 25, 2012, 07:20 PM
I ran across this at a LGS yesterday. The metal work on this scope mount is simply outstanding, I wonder if it's a one-of custom job?

I darn near bought the thing, it's a no-dash gun that's very tight in superb condition. They are asking $650 for it as is, if I didn't already have a no dash 686 I'd have been all over it.

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr338/hcedmondson/Smith-Scope.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith 686 with amazing scope mount" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rswartsell
September 25, 2012, 07:23 PM
Never seen one like that. Sure looks outstanding. Be interested to hear if anyone knows more about it.

788Ham
September 25, 2012, 08:43 PM
I wonder at the weight of it? Nice looking though.

Walkalong
September 25, 2012, 08:46 PM
Very nice setup. I would think it would have been cheaper to drill and tap, but perhaps the owner wanted to keep it unaltered.

bikemutt
September 25, 2012, 09:02 PM
We live in the land of Boeing machinists around these parts...I wonder...

TonyT
September 26, 2012, 08:44 AM
While a great example of superb machining, it looks like a problem seeking a solution for any modern S&W with the factory pre-drilled holes in the top strap. It would be an excellent way to use an older S&W without the factory pre-drilled holes.

98Redline
September 26, 2012, 03:21 PM
It appears that the mount was designed to allow the factory irons to be used as well.

Through the rear hole you can see the factory rear sight is still in place. I assume the hole is used to adjust the windage. I would bet that up top there is a channel or hole cut to adjust the elevation on the rear sight.

Up front you can see between the barrel and the mount that there is a channel cut to see the front blade.

Cool setup.

JohnBT
September 26, 2012, 03:47 PM
They are made by Aimtech.

www.aimtech-mounts.com/Revolvers.htm

bikemutt
September 26, 2012, 04:53 PM
They are made by Aimtech.

www.aimtech-mounts.com/Revolvers.htm
I knew someone here would have the scoop, thanks!

JFrame
September 26, 2012, 06:39 PM
Oh, wow -- I have a 6" 686 just beggin' for this option... http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/just_cuz/JC_doubleup.gif

243winxb
September 26, 2012, 07:55 PM
One for sale here > http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=306668542 $29 + $6 shipping if you win the bid.

adelbridge
September 27, 2012, 05:19 PM
i hate to think of what metal on metal contact will look like when that thing is removed.

19-3Ben
September 27, 2012, 05:32 PM
i hate to think of what metal on metal contact will look like when that thing is removed.

If the gun is blued, then yes, I agree. If it's stainless (which the 686 in the OP happens to be), it could probably be buffed out pretty easily.

glassman
September 28, 2012, 07:36 AM

I bought this recently for the gun and not the sight. I took the assembly off and replaced it with iron sights. Even though there was metal to metal contact at several points, the blueing remained in tact without marring the finish at all. My guess is that as long as the mounting screws are tight, you'd be good to go.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w81/glassman_photos/m17-5right.jpg

hardluk1
September 28, 2012, 05:15 PM
glassman I used a mount like some what like that on a DW revolver for some 20 years, used a lead bb between the mount and frame on top and never had a mark on the metal from it when it came off. Mount was a Buehler and rings. Guess there long gone today.

rswartsell
September 29, 2012, 12:28 AM
Some people own guns with an eye toward their future vale, some with only consideration for maximizing their useful potential. IMHO they were designed and constructed for the latter.

I have never been really astute at the former and I have a jaundiced eye for guns as investments to begin with. Hence I am not impressed as much with the "collector downside" of perfetcly fitting a gun for its purpose and using it, future value, collector grade be damned. That looks like a useful rig to me.

bluetopper
September 29, 2012, 10:08 AM
I think I'd have to make some kind of gasket to put between the mount and the frame.
I have made a gasket out of a common clear plastic water bottle. This seems like another application for it.

PuddleMonkey
September 30, 2012, 01:03 AM
I like it

EVIL
September 30, 2012, 07:18 PM
What a great mounting option ... I have a 6" 586 that is begging for the black one ... Thanks for finding out where to get the mount from gents.

tlynch
September 30, 2012, 11:07 PM
The mount looks like aluminum. I don't see that as a danger to the stainless 686.

Even on a blued gun, I don't think you will have scratching. The biggest risk would be moisture getting in and affecting the blue. Might be a good idea to put a coat of Eezox or paste wax down before tightening in place.

Regards,
Tom

bluetopper
October 1, 2012, 03:27 PM
Yes or just common wheel bearing grease.

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith 686 with amazing scope mount" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!