The ultimate pocket holster is...

PDA

raindog
September 25, 2012, 11:49 PM
...?

I've been carrying my Ruger LCR in a pocket holster (front pocket) and it's been very nice when I'm in shorts/T-shirt. But it's just a cheapo Blackhawk holster.

What are some other great pocket holsters to look at?

If you enjoyed reading about "The ultimate pocket holster is..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rexster
September 26, 2012, 01:09 AM
Short answer: Kramer. Horsehide and kydex, well-crafted, are difficult to beat. I have these for Seecamps, J-snubs, and SP101 snubs.

I will add my usual disclaimer that I do not want my only weapon to be in a pocket, because if a fight has already started, freeing up a hand, getting it into that pocket, acquiring a good grip, and successfully drawing, with "a whole lotta shaking going on," can be problematic. Pocket carry is a great way to discreetly and proactively have a hand on a gun's grip, when one is blessed with the opportunity to do so.

Ehtereon11B
September 26, 2012, 02:27 AM
I use an Uncle Mike's pocket holster for the on occassion I do carry that way and I am not fond of it, but it was cheap and the holster I wanted to buy wasn't in stock that day. I have used and heard great things about Desantis Nemesis pocket holsters.

surferdaddy
September 26, 2012, 03:01 PM
I use a grandfather oak kydex. It's very thin and thus the only way that pocket carry is even remotely possible for my m&p 40 compact. I'm also a profuse sweater and they were good enough to extend the inner portion of the holster all the way up the slide to give me a sweat shield. It tooka while to get here, but after many other holsters, i'm absolutely convinced that its the best.

needmorecowbell
September 26, 2012, 03:06 PM
My favorites are: 1. Remora 2. DeSantis Nemesis. The Remora's are very tacky and stay in place very well. I use them as IWB's too.

Esoxchaser
September 26, 2012, 03:10 PM
I have been a Galco user since the early 80's when they became Galco. But recently I have been getting a few things from D.M.Bullard, excellent quality and it has some indescribable feel about it that just says "Quality".

http://store.dmbullardleather.com/

ApacheCoTodd
September 26, 2012, 03:41 PM
I don't know how available the Aker units are. I've had mine since the 90s for my .45 back-up. It's at least OK but beggars can't be choosers with that gat.

The El Paso leather PPK for the Sig 230SL has been outstanding.

mdauben
September 26, 2012, 04:57 PM
I'm rather fond of the DeSantis Superfly pocket holsters.

http://www.desantisholster.com/store/attachments/images/M44.jpg/image_preview

The "tacky" fabric tends to stick in the pocket when you draw.

Coop45
September 26, 2012, 05:43 PM
Mika, HighNoon

Double_J
September 26, 2012, 05:45 PM
DeSantis Nemesis here. good solid tacky feel in the pocket during practice draws, breaks up the outline well, and inexpensive. I would recommend one to just about anyone wanting to carry in a pocket. I am 5'8", 200 pounds and have no problem carrying a Kahr CW9 in my front jeans pocket. that is my normal carry method when I go out to the store or other daily errands.

royal barnes
September 26, 2012, 07:09 PM
Mika or DeSantis Nemesis.

daveit
September 27, 2012, 10:45 PM
I like the DeSantis SuperFly & Aholster's Pocket Holster ($30) for the LCR.

SouthernYankee
September 29, 2012, 12:02 AM
I'm not CHEAP, I'm FRUGAL! That said, I have had two Uncle Mikes Pocket holsters and certainly could have spent more money on others. But, the Uncle Mikes have given me no reason to look elsewhere. They are certainly functional, perform well and have been durable. Am I wrong?

ColtPythonElite
September 29, 2012, 12:08 AM
None for me when I carry a snub.

Husker_Fan
October 1, 2012, 08:26 AM
I bought a cheap Blackhawk with the idea of getting something better, but it has worked so well I have not had a need to get anything else.

hariph creek
October 1, 2012, 08:46 AM
I have a RKBA leather pocket holster. He put a Kydex "piece" next to the cylinder, under the grip. It holds a speedstrip. This facilitates a reload on the proper side. Plus it really breaks up the outline, mitigating the whole cylinder bulge-print thing.
I carry a Colt Detective Special in it, works great.
Pocket carry is not my preferred method of deployment but, when nothing else will work...

cpirtle
October 2, 2012, 12:21 AM
Here's my pocket holster. Carries easily and will not draw with the gun. I carry my R9 in the Elephant one daily.

I'm also releasing a spare mag carrier of the same design soon, finishing the prototype now.

http://www.pirtlemade.com/images/Leather/9-16-12/rohrbaugh/129/IMG_1907.JPG

Skribs
October 2, 2012, 12:52 PM
I've used Remora, DeSantis Nemesis and DeSantis Superfly. The Remora is too bulky compared to the others, IMO. I personally like the Nemesis best, but I currently EDC a M&P 9C in a SuperFly (because I wanted to try the SuperFly and it's good enough I don't want to buy a Nemesis for it as well).

I personally don't like leather, and I wouldn't want kydex for pocket carry.

sig228
October 2, 2012, 10:43 PM
For the Ruger LCP, the BEST pocket holster is the Galco PH 436 front pocket horsehide holster. Fits like a glove.

TheMercenary
October 17, 2012, 08:06 PM
I use the DeSantis Nemesis, however the Remora looks a little nicer

Mac Attack
October 17, 2012, 09:41 PM
Mika for me.

griz1
October 18, 2012, 06:26 AM
Matt Del Fatti

heeler
October 18, 2012, 09:36 AM
I prefer leather pocket holsters for their rigidity and long life vs the cloth type Uncle Mike's and others of this type.
I own two RKBA leather pocket holsters for the LCP and the PM9.

Apache Todd I never once thought about using a clipped IWB holster as a pocket holster than can be easily concealed by wearing your shirt out of your waist and turning it into a basic OWB holster.
I am ordering one for the PM9 for winter carry.
Thanks for the simple idea that I never once thought about.
I have never been comfortable wearing an IWB between my body and pants,hence I have always sworn them off.

The Lone Haranguer
October 19, 2012, 11:48 AM
I would have to try every holster on the market to proclaim an "ultimate," but the most satisfactory has been Mika's.

raindog
October 19, 2012, 05:51 PM
I decided to add the Crimson Trace grips to my LCR. CT has a guide of supported holsters:

http://www.crimsontrace.com/uploads/Crimson_Trace_Holster_Resource_Guide_2.0.pdf

Alas, many mentioned here are not specifically listed. The DeSantis Nemesis is listed, but DeSantis says they don't sell a holster for the LCR w/CT grips.

Skribs
October 19, 2012, 06:23 PM
Unless you carry chamber empty (although a DAO revolver might not be too bad), Uncle Mike's holsters are a bad idea. They provide no safety to the trigger. Even with a manual safety, I wouldn't trust one of those thin cloth covers.

My favorite (I've tried the Desantis Nemesis, Desantis Super Fly, and the Remora) is the DeSantis Nemesis. I currently carry a M&P Compact in a Super Fly.

Rembrandt
October 19, 2012, 06:35 PM
Uncle Mikes

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Firearms/005-1.jpg

Cokeman
October 19, 2012, 10:08 PM
Here's my pocket holster. Carries easily and will not draw with the gun. I carry my R9 in the Elephant one daily.

I'm also releasing a spare mag carrier of the same design soon, finishing the prototype now.

http://www.pirtlemade.com/images/Leather/9-16-12/rohrbaugh/129/IMG_1907.JPG

That elephant is pretty sweet.

cpirtle
October 19, 2012, 11:14 PM
That elephant is pretty sweet.

Thanks!

Friendly, Don't Fire!
October 19, 2012, 11:19 PM
Robert Mika Pocket Holsters, Period

Uncle Mike's pocket holster is SO GOOD, it stays on the gun the entire time the gun is drawn, now that is what I call SAFETY!

Cokeman
October 19, 2012, 11:35 PM
What makes Mikas so great. They're hideous.

toivo
October 20, 2012, 04:48 PM
I mostly use Desantis Nemesis for my Kel-Tec and Beretta mouseguns. The are cheap, sturdy, and functional.

I recently bought a Hedley for my PSA Baby Browning clone. That holster is truly a work of art.

dirtengineer
October 20, 2012, 06:51 PM
I prefer the superfly.

This guy has awesome customer service and will make whatever you want if he has the proper mold.

http://pjholster.com/

Cokeman
October 20, 2012, 07:10 PM
I mostly use Desantis Nemesis for my Kel-Tec and Beretta mouseguns. The are cheap, sturdy, and functional.

I recently bought a Hedley for my PSA Baby Browning clone. That holster is truly a work of art.

Let's see it.

toivo
October 20, 2012, 11:25 PM

Let's see it.

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss331/tomi245/DSCF0510.jpg

Cokeman
October 20, 2012, 11:35 PM
Damn!

Gordon
October 21, 2012, 01:11 AM
You have to carry the Mika hideous holsters for a while to appreciate them. #1 they don't print, period. #2 the gun comes out quickly without the holster attached and seems not to bind on the holster in any way. #3 the material is soft enough it does not chafe your leg after many hours #4 the material is thin enough yet has a padded nature about it, no finish reaction like leather. #4 the workmanship is great although not snug as that is not how they work #5 Robert Mika is a stand up guy and his work is cheap in my book :)

Cokeman
October 21, 2012, 04:32 AM
I read that after using it for a while, the holster starts coming out with the gun and stops staying in the pocket. Have you had that happen?

Gordon
October 21, 2012, 10:36 AM
Not in 3 years daily carry of an S&W model 37

The Lone Haranguer
October 21, 2012, 11:01 AM
What makes Mikas so great. They're hideous.
Function over form.

Cokeman
October 21, 2012, 11:39 AM
Must be. They look like they are wearing out when they are new.

Fonzie2k
October 25, 2012, 09:11 PM
+1 on the nemesis. It does kinda require big pockets but it does a really good job stabilizing itself. On some of the jeans I wear it does bulge a bit but it just looks like a smartphone. Some of the smaller holsters like the Uncle Mike's don't seem to stay put in larger pockets, I know that when I'm carrying with the nemesis my gun will be in the same position every time.

I haven't tried the Mika and I only have 1 pocket gun (my LCR) so my experiences may be different.

jon_in_wv
October 26, 2012, 06:43 PM
Whatever you get make sure it is a molded holster than gives the weapon some retention. A few years ago I was pocket carrying a P32 at a movie theater and during the movie the pistol slid out of my pocket on to the floor. Not cool. Now I use a molded elather or kydex holster. I had a Grandfather Oak holster and I really liked it. It retained the pistol and had a thumpad to keep the holster in the pocket when you draw.

motorcycle-charlie
October 28, 2012, 10:08 AM
...?

I've been carrying my Ruger LCR in a pocket holster (front pocket) and it's been very nice when I'm in shorts/T-shirt. But it's just a cheapo Blackhawk holster.

What are some other great pocket holsters to look at?
The Blackhawk is great. I use a size 3 for my 442 when I pocket carry. If it works, no need to spend elsewhere. For $10 and American made I think it's great. Works with jeans. I also have a Mika that works better in a pair of dress pants with a larger and looser pocket. I only need dress pants once or twice a year though.

Alnamvet68
December 10, 2012, 01:29 PM
El Paso Saddlery's Pocket Max in horsehide...

SageMonkey
December 10, 2012, 08:33 PM
I used to like my Desante Nemesis back when I weighed 220+, but now that I've lost weight with illness and am at about 150 I find that it prints badly unless I take considerable care in placing other items in the pocket with it.

It used to only print a bit in one pair of pants, now it prints in all my pants pockets and in some jackets too. This is with a P-11.

langloisandy
December 11, 2012, 05:31 AM
FYI: I have a pile of horsehide pocket rigs (and some normal leather) on sale at my web page. Some come with pocket mag pouches. Head on over (free shipping for holidays!).

http://andysleather.com/the-sale

Regards,

Andy

TxBobS
December 12, 2012, 11:18 AM
I started with a Desante Nemesis and ended up with a Alabama Holster http://alabamaholster.com/index.php?p=2_12

Love it.

REAPER4206969
December 12, 2012, 11:47 PM
The Blackhawk #3 at Wal-Mart is the best overall pocket holster that I've found for compact revolvers. $9.97 and made in Idaho makes it hard to beat.

I use a Nemesis for my P3AT and LCP with great success as well though.

Alfonse99
December 13, 2012, 11:04 PM
Stays Put (http://www.concealmentspecialties.com/holsters.html).

I used the DeSantis SuperFly for a few years and liked it. But the Stays Put draws better, stays in place better, is more comfortable and since it is closed on the end, it keeps lint out of my pistol. I've been using it for 4 months now.

Basically, it is better in every way. Oh yeah, it is inexpensive too.

If you enjoyed reading about "The ultimate pocket holster is..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!