Pistol for deer hunting

PDA

FenceChargerIII
September 26, 2012, 09:30 PM
Id like to go deer hunting with a handgun this year. Would my Glock 22 in .40s&w be enough gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "Pistol for deer hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mr. Tettnanger
September 26, 2012, 09:35 PM
What are your state laws concerning handgun hunting?

FenceChargerIII
September 26, 2012, 09:48 PM
I live in MO. I think they're going to allow handgun hunting durin the muzzleloader season this year, but I couldn't find any info on it online yet.
All that aside, I am wondering if the .40 would have enough power?(considering it would be legal.)

FenceChargerIII
September 26, 2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the quick response everyone!
I'll have to look into it some more. What bullets would you recommend for reloading .40 ammo?

Bushpilot
September 27, 2012, 09:55 AM
40 S&W is not really enough gun in my opinion. It doesn't have even half the energy of a 44 mag (which is known to be a good deer stopper at typical handgun ranges) and carries 60-100 grains less bullet weight. In fact, 44 mag fired in a handgun has more punch at 100 yards than 40SW does at the muzzle. 357 mag out of a handgun is the legal minimum for use on deer in many states (it is pretty marginal) and it has 15-20% (depending on the loads) more punch than a 40SW and is likely to penitrate deeper as well. People have been slamming the use of the 30 carbine on deer for years but it is a powerhouse compared to a 40 S&W, having again, more energy at 100 yards than 40SW has at the muzzle. I know deer have been dropped with everything under the Sun including 22 LR and energy figures aren't everything but I would only hunt deer with a 40SW in an emergency.

ssyoumans
September 27, 2012, 10:41 AM
You can get around 475 ft-lbs out of your Glock with a Federal 155gr HST or 165gr HST high performance SD round. May not get solid penetration from a 135gr, too wide to weight ratio and opens up too quickly. I'd suggest a 165 or 180gr if you must use one.

Overall, a lot of hunters consider 750 ft-lbs to be the minimum for an ethical/clean kill. Hence your heavy 357's and 44 Mags. I follow that rule. I wouldn't use one. Will it kill it, most definitely, will it do it quickly and humanely such that you are able to recover it???

Certaindeaf
September 27, 2012, 10:46 AM
I'd agree that a 135 grain out of a .40 is too light. Go a bit heavier with a premium bullet.
If you do as someone said prior and limit your shots to where you can hit perfectly.. about bowhunting distance for many, that round will put them down reliably.
Don't shoot unless you know it'll be hit where you want.

mgmorden
September 27, 2012, 10:50 AM
It's legal here (anything centerfire out of a handgun is), but I wouldn't trust it. I know a guy that shoots hogs with a 9mm using self-defense loads and he seems to have good luck, but hogs a considered a nuisance animal in the wild here. For actual hunting of game animals I'd step up to a more appropriate revolver (or something like a 10mm if you insist on an auto).

wildcatter109
September 27, 2012, 11:20 AM
There is a fine line between legal and ethical! There is no way I would ever use a 40 S&W for deer, unless I was starving and in survival mode, with no other weapon as an option! Legal or not, we owe it to the game we hunt to be responsible. This caliber leaves to much risk of not making a kill period, as everything has to be perfect! Hardly ever the case in hunting. JMO!!

R.W.Dale
September 27, 2012, 12:58 PM
I'm going to Buck the trend here and say with careful load selection that 40 is fine within close ranges.

The performance gap between mainstream loads for 10mm and 40 has shrunk to almost nothing. I'm sure lots if folks without Chronographs have successfully killed whitetail using "40s&w long" factory ammunition and were never any the wizer.

If 40 is going to be dismissed as completely inadequate then 10mm with even its hottest loads is marginal at best.

Cue the rabid 10mm fanbois to flame away with links to $50 a box ammo not loaded to saami spec

posted via that mobile app with the sig lines everyone complaints about

desidog
September 27, 2012, 01:23 PM
^ I agree.

And as a hunter who has taken an 8pt buck with an H&K USP 40, i say Go for it!

I'd use a 180gr. +P defensive round that won't expand too quickly, shoot from broadside, and shoot from within 25 yards; 50 max. if the shooter is highly proficient.

mljdeckard
September 27, 2012, 01:29 PM
I have spooked deer that were close enough to take with a pistol. They were either does or I didn't have a pistol at the time. I think one of them was in a hunt where I wasn't licensed, I was just along for fun. But I really want to take one with a pistol one day.

A ways down on the list is a Fusion 10mm long-slide kit, which I will keep for outdoor protection and hunting.

MrCleanOK
September 27, 2012, 01:38 PM
Centerfire hanguns are legal in my state, and I did take a deer with a 5" .45 ACP a few years ago. Before my hunt, I went to a range and determined the max range at which I could expect a hit in the vitals (40 yds for me). I used the hottest JHP I could get my hands on, and had a rifle in the stand with me in case I needed it to dispatch a wounded animal.

The deer I took field dressed at 135 lbs, and I hit it right at 40 yds from the tree stand. The bullet broke the entry side shoulder, destroyed one lung, barely clipped the heart, and lodged under the far side shoulder. The deer ran for about 50 yards on the broken shoulder.

Can it be done? Yes, if you use the right ammunition, gun, and stay within your limitations. If I ever do it again, I will probably limit myself to a shorter distance, and the same size or smaller deer to ensure that I get an exit wound.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Captcurt
September 27, 2012, 03:12 PM
There has been a couple of times that I have had very poor blood trails due to light bullets that didn't exit. Bad scenario when you shoot from an elevated stand. Now I load 180 XTP 's in my 357 and 300 gr XTP 's in my muzzleloader. If you do use your 40, you might be better off with a 170 or 180gr.

browningguy
September 27, 2012, 07:38 PM
NO. Well possibly if you used fmj bullets, but from experience with a .40 with HP (XTP) bullets you don't get enough penetration. I would suggest a full house 10mm as a min with an autoloader, and .44 mag/heavy .45 Colt loads through revolvers. I've gone to a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 for hunting.

scaatylobo
September 27, 2012, 08:21 PM
I have used a Thompson Center super 14 in .35 Remington for well over 25 years.

I can use any centerfire round,but I carry a Glock 23 with 180 grainers as a backup to the T/C as the T/C is a single shot.

I say use the .40,but no more than a 25 yard shot with 180 grainers.

I have taken more than a few with the T/C and it drops them fast.

If you do take it,please post any results.

gscrasher
September 27, 2012, 08:49 PM
A couple minutes work with Google and the Missouri Dept of Conservation site shows that things are remarkably relaxed there. The only restriction is that the
ammo capacity can be no more than 11 rounds, counting the one in the chamber. So be sure to use a 10 round magazine. These days you might have to go to California to get one. :D

wildcatter109
September 27, 2012, 09:54 PM
<..................>

I have been hunting everything from varmint to big game with a handgun since the early 1980's, and for the last 12 to 15 years it is the only thing I hunt with other than a bow, unless I am forced to use a Black Powder weapon in a B.P. only season, as B.P. handguns are not allowed here. Because of that, and my over 30 years experience in handgun silhouette, and long range rifle bench rest, I am an appointed official of our county conservation club, we work hard to PROPERLY INFORM and train youth and new hunters with proper use of all firearms, from target, hunting, personal protection, and even recreational air rifle use for boy scouts.

So it is also our responsibility to make sure they are properly informed, and if I or any one of our officials told them it was not a responsibility, or that a 40 S&W especially in a Glock, was a satisfactory firearm for whitetail hunting, everyone associated with any hunting program would think maybe we need to find someone else to take on these RESPONSIBILITIES!!!! and I will assure you from J. D. Jones the president of Handgun Hunters International, to every lowly officer of my club, you would not find one that would recommend short barreled, fixed sighted, 40 S&W in a Glock for any type of big game handgun hunting! IT WOULD BE IRRESPONSIBLE ON THEIR PART to RECOMMEND such a weapon! So I really don't care how sick and tired your uninformed opinion is of what responsibility comes or goes with handgun hunting, because only someone who was less informed than you would be impressed with your limited opinion!! I have a rule, if I wouldn't train a kid to do it, I won't do it! It is my responsibility to follow the rules and responsibilities, that I teach!

Certaindeaf
September 27, 2012, 10:33 PM
.I know a guy that shoots hogs with a 9mm using self-defense loads and he seems to have good luck..
How is that even possible with their thick gristle armor plating? lol

Art Eatman
September 27, 2012, 10:40 PM
Trouble is, wildcatter, some folks do have the skill and the self-control to be quite effective on Bambi with such as a 1911 in .45 ACP or similar package.

It's like many situations in hunting, whether rifle or pistol: Some folks are quite competent with "marginal" gear; others are not. IOW, an all-inclusive categorization is not useful.

wildcatter109
September 28, 2012, 12:35 AM
a 4" barreled glock with fixed sights and 40 S&W is not the same as a 1911,which is a marginal gun.(or did you mean officers model?) Even an experienced handgun hunter knows ideal is rare, anything less the borderline 40 is not going to work even at close range. A littl high or low, to far back, or the shoulder bon in th right spot, and you may not recover the animal, I am guessing the OP is new to handgun hunting since he is wondering if the glock would work, and not experienced, reinforcing the need for a better choice! "IMO" without trying to insult anyone. Ifr you try it forget the ideas of Hollow Points, at 40 caliber, your main concern should bee penetration, FMJ or cast would be the best choice if you choose to try it!

303tom
September 28, 2012, 01:00 AM
This is what I like to use................

Sav .250
September 28, 2012, 06:41 AM
What are your state laws concerning handgun hunting?
I`ll second that.

Hangingrock
September 28, 2012, 08:03 AM
In rural agricultural surroundings deer are considered a nuisance and are dispatched with .22RF. The intent is to just eliminate the deer. With that in mind sport hunting has a focus/perspective/attitude in regards to cleanly taking the deer so the threshold is different.

Up till last year I let people on the property to hunt deer but there were incidents which forced me to terminate access and post the property. Over the years that the property was open I canít recall a single handgun hunter. I thought that odd/peculiar as I had hunted deer extensively with handguns.

My perspective which may be dated is that placement and penetration are primary attributes to success. There is nothing magical about 25yds being a limiting factor. Iíve taken deer at various distances with S&W M27 357Mag with cast bullets.

I simply canít speak to the 40S&W or the ability of commercial ammunition to be adequate for the (Sporting) application but again in my opinion it comes down to placement and penetration. As a self-defense cartridge it appears by usage to be more than adequate but then thatís a different application.

-eaux-
September 28, 2012, 12:13 PM
For whitetail... Ruger SBH, .44remmag, 10.5"bbl, Hornady LeveRevolution, and PRACTICE. Just sayin'. I've taken a yearling with a 7.5" BH in .357mag with SPLN off the shelf, but only took that shot because I fell asleep under a tree and woke up to a doe nearly in my lap. When I handgun hunt deer, it's with the long-barrelled .44mag with Hornady levergun ammo. Absolutely devastating bullet design, in .30-30 and .45-70gov as well, for hunting from a stand. They'll all pretty much field dress the deer for you.

MCgunner
September 28, 2012, 08:31 PM
My favorite hunting pistol is a contender. My favorite hunting pistol caliber is .30-30 Winchester. I wouldn't hunt with any auto pistol short of 10mm. I have taken deer and hog with .357 magnum, good power for medium game inside 60 yards. 165 grain cast SWC at 1470 fps from a 6.5" Blackhawk.

tryshoot
September 28, 2012, 09:17 PM
If you can confinant you can make the shot, take it. You can always just not shoot it. Deer and humans are similar in what it takes to kill one. Police love the 40s&w . Not near as many .45 ACP in law enforcment now as was.

browningguy
September 28, 2012, 10:36 PM
Trouble is, wildcatter, some folks do have the skill and the self-control to be quite effective on Bambi with such as a 1911 in .45 ACP or similar package.

It's like many situations in hunting, whether rifle or pistol: Some folks are quite competent with "marginal" gear; others are not. IOW, an all-inclusive categorization is not useful.

But those people are incredibly rare, and they need a good dollop of luck also.

I go along with the idea that recommending a .40 S&W for deer hunting is irresponsible. I've used a .40 to dispatch one wounded deer, and at 10 feet the 155gr. XTP did not even penetrate to the heart. If it won't do it at 10 feet (every single time with no excuses) then it can't be relied on to do it at 25-50 yards, no matter how skillfull and competent someone thinks they are.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
September 28, 2012, 11:16 PM
I am of the opinion that that caliber would only be good if the deer was going to be standing, say, within ten feet of the shooter, even then, the bullet may ricochet off its head or other hard bone.

IMO, a .44 Magnum or .500 Magnum would be more the kind of round I would prefer for shooting deer or black bear.

When I had a .454 Casull, I used to hunt deer and black bear with that. I also used to use a Desert Eagle 50AE that I owned to deer and black bear hunt.

Now, the large caliber pistol I use is my .500 Magnum. I wouldn't even think to hunt deer using my .45 Auto unless there was no other gun around and I was able to set myself up in such a place so as to get a good, clean shot off at less than 10 feet!

JEB
September 28, 2012, 11:55 PM
here in Iowa, we can also use .40 s&w and i have in the past (as a backup/finisher). if you want to hunt with it i would suggest you load a 180gr xtp as hot as you can, keep the distances short, and practice a lot! do all this, and you should be just fine. but yes, for a dedicated hunting pistol, the .40 is a little light.

coolluke01
September 29, 2012, 12:09 AM
if you think your .40 is not enough caliber for shooting deer at 10 feet then you need to reconsider it for SD purposes.

RmB
September 29, 2012, 12:15 AM
NO. I would follow the rule of nothing less that .357 mag.

Certaindeaf
September 29, 2012, 12:26 AM
Over in the shotgun forum they're praising the .410 throwing like a 90 grain at 1200 for deer. I guess it's magich if it's half power but throwed out of a long barrel. feh

Ridgerunner665
September 29, 2012, 12:31 AM
I've cleanly killed a few deer with a 1911 (45acp)...and 2 with a 40 S&W.

Use heavy bullets (180 grains), penetration is your friend...patience, good judgement, and accuracy are also essential.

Killing deer with pistols is no big deal...its a lot like bowhunting (up close and personal, watching nice bucks walk by just out of range, etc.)

No deer I shot with a 45acp (230 grain bullet at 860 fps) went more than 40 yards after being shot...and several dropped right where they stood, 4 legged critters tend to do that when you bust both front shoulders.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=186035

Thompsoncustom
September 29, 2012, 11:33 AM
this guy shoots hog head's with different calibers and ammo not very scientific but gives you an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DocTacDad?feature=CAgQwRs%3D

Bushpilot
September 29, 2012, 11:49 AM
if you think your .40 is not enough caliber for shooting deer at 10 feet then you need to reconsider it for SD purposes.

Deer and humans are similar in what it takes to kill one. Police love the 40s&w .

Who or what reliable source says that deer and humans are similar in the levels of cartridge power and performance that are required to quickly kill or stop them? Statistics show the 357 mag to be a first rate man stopper but it's performance on deer is nowhere near being equal to what it is on a man. How does the police's acceptance of 40SW have any bearing whatsoever on it's suitability for use on deer? Pound for pound animals are tougher to stop and are more tenacious than people and, unlike people; animals do not go into shock and die due to the psychological impact of being "shot." So you don’t believe deer are tougher than people? I doubt many humans who are gut shot with a high powered rifle or 12 ga would typically run up and down mountains or jump fence after fence like a deer will when pushed too soon after a bad shot. Will a 40 SW kill a deer? Sure it will, but so will a 22LR. Simply being able to kill a deer does not mean that it is powerful enough for quick, clean, reliable kills. I don’t want the areas I hunt or live in to be full of wounded deer or rotting carcasses because of some other hunter’s stunts run amuck.

HOWARD J
September 29, 2012, 12:00 PM
I used my 44 redhawk to take 2 deer.
It had a 4 X scope--after 2 years the scope was full of black spots inside.
I got tired of lugging this cannon after 2 seasons & went back to my 6MM Rem
A 40 is a good police weapon---not a good deer hunter.

Deanimator
September 29, 2012, 12:17 PM
Personally, I wouldn't want to use anything smaller than a 6" .357 magnum and 158gr. JSPs, 180gr. JSPs or 180gr. hard cast LSWCs.

I've been hunting with a friend in Missouri a couple of times in the last ten years. The year we got something, it was a buck big enough that I wouldn't have wanted to shoot it with a .40 S&W. Maybe a 200gr. 10mm out of a 5" M1911 or a 6" S&W 610.

In addition to my Savage 112BVSS, I carried a 6" S&W Model 29-2 loaded with 240gr. JSP Winchester White Box.

My goal was to KILL game, not wound and chase it.

Deanimator
September 29, 2012, 12:22 PM
Police love the 40s&w .
The NYPD used to "love" the .32 S&W, then the .38 Special 158gr LRN, followed by the 9x19mm loaded with FMJs.

European cops used to "love the .32acp.

Cluster Bomb
September 29, 2012, 01:00 PM
here in Maine, you can carry a sidearm while hunting, or in the woods without a conceale carry permit but with a Firearm Hunting license, even in Archery season. In Archery season and black powder you can not use a pistol to dispatch a deer.

If you just want it for protection, it should be ok. I carry a 44 while hunting or fishing.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
September 29, 2012, 01:39 PM
--after 2 years the scope was full of black spots inside.....

Mind telling us what brand that scope was?

saskcop
September 29, 2012, 01:50 PM
I have shot many problematic wild boars while on duty with a 9mm duty pistol and LEO loads and must say that the results were poor at best. In those situations, I can't say a .40 would have done much better. Now a deer is constructed a little differently, but I have shot many wounded ones roadside with 9mm too and would not use it for deer (or a .40 for that matter). The only .40 I would use for hunting is a 10mm with full power loads and a good penetrator like a Hornady xtp.

MCgunner
September 29, 2012, 02:31 PM
I am of the opinion that that caliber would only be good if the deer was going to be standing, say, within ten feet of the shooter, even then, the bullet may ricochet off its head or other hard bone.

IMO, a .44 Magnum or .500 Magnum would be more the kind of round I would prefer for shooting deer or black bear.

When I had a .454 Casull, I used to hunt deer and black bear with that. I also used to use a Desert Eagle 50AE that I owned to deer and black bear hunt.

Now, the large caliber pistol I use is my .500 Magnum. I wouldn't even think to hunt deer using my .45 Auto unless there was no other gun around and I was able to set myself up in such a place so as to get a good, clean shot off at less than 10 feet!

If deer were that tough down here, I'd be afraid to go into the woods.

Must wear kevlar where you're from?

I don't consider .45ACP a hunting round, but inside 25 yards, it'd kill deer just like the .40 would. I don't go hunting with either, though. I prefer to use more gun. Now, I have a .45 Colt I wanna shoot something with. Only thing I've killed with it is trapped hogs and it's got as much umph as a .44 magnum. I've killed several deer with a .357 which ain't got as much.

After i shoot something, deer or hog, with that .45, I might finally decide to try my Ruger Old Army. Loaded to the gills with 777, it pushes a 220 grain conical Lee cast HP almost 1300 fps. That's pretty serious right there. AND, that gun is ACCURATE, 2" at 25 yards accurate off the bench.

MCgunner
September 29, 2012, 02:37 PM
I have shot many problematic wild boars while on duty with a 9mm duty pistol and LEO loads and must say that the results were poor at best.

A 115 +P Hornady at 1263 MV killed this boar. He was in a trap, but he went down rather rapidly with a head shot. No, this is not one of my hunting pistols, just checked the trap that day after sitting on my stand and didn't wanna use my muzzle loader to kill him because I didn't wanna clean it. I'm lasy that way and I had a hog to quarter and get on ice. He was something shy of 200 lbs. Hell, I've shot 'em in the head with my 1 5/8" .22LR NAA mini revolver and killed 'em just as dead close range head shot in the trap. But, I've shot 'em in the trap in the shoulder with 9mm before and got good results, better results than .45 Colt and a 255 flat point at 950 fps. That's un-scientific as heck, but I trap a lot of hogs, so why not try different calibers? I must say, of all my carries, .357 magnum is the most impressive. My .45 Colt is not a concealed carry gun, 4 5/8" stainless Blackhawk.

http://i39.tinypic.com/107nclh.jpg

R.W.Dale
September 29, 2012, 03:08 PM
MC that is one ugly mean looking critter to look at.....have you considered cropping the pic so all we can see is that good looking piggy? ;-)

posted via that mobile app with the sig lines everyone complaints about

MCgunner
September 29, 2012, 03:25 PM
The boar in Calhoun County are of European phenotype, almost 100 percent even today. Here's some reading explaining that happenstance. They come from pigs released on nearby Powderhorn Ranch back in the 30s. My place is located between Seadrift and Port O'Connor, Texas near the Powderhorn.

http://books.google.com/books?id=rh0LmDWdEI4C&pg=PA64&lpg=PA64&dq=powderhorn+ranch+wild+hogs&source=bl&ots=VZEWWsiSpM&sig=C4DQicn2jsjHWb5Z7GQlhunDzqA&hl=en&ei=SuzaToiIBYTM2AWU84DbDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=powderhorn%20ranch%20wild%20hogs&f=false

The little 80 lber is one I shot walking down the trail to my feeder with my carry that day, a 3" .357 magnum. He's particularly FUGLY. :D

Same pig in the first post...

http://oi44.tinypic.com/bhkbi1.jpg

Fugly little pig....

http://i50.tinypic.com/1zzj2g3.jpg

MCgunner
September 29, 2012, 03:32 PM
Oh, BTW, none of my bullets, even in .22LR, ever "bounced off" a pig's scull. :rolleyes: But, I shoot most of the pigs I take in the trap, not in a hunting situation. They can't go anywhere. For hunting, .357 is a good caliber and my base line for hunting and the longest shot I ever made was on a pig at 60 yards with my Blackhawk.

Thompsoncustom
September 30, 2012, 03:35 PM
here in Iowa, we can also use .40 s&w and i have in the past (as a backup/finisher). if you want to hunt with it i would suggest you load a 180gr xtp as hot as you can, keep the distances short, and practice a lot! do all this, and you should be just fine. but yes, for a dedicated hunting pistol, the .40 is a little light.

Any time I push the 124gr 9mm xtp over 1250 fps it has jacket separation and frags does the .40 do better at higher speeds? I also live in iowa and it torques me that I can't hunt with my 9 but anything higher is ok.

Also I've seen deer shot once in the ribs with a .22 and die so I would have no problem using any caliber to hunt one, again like always shot placement is king.

wildcatter109
September 30, 2012, 08:50 PM
I wouldn't argue that for a second!

solvability
September 30, 2012, 08:59 PM
I carry a 40 for SD but I am not wanting to stop the deer from attacking me or breaking into my house - I want to stop it DRT so I do not lose it or have to chase it. I use a 44mag with 250g hard cast at about 1200 fps - not a brutal load but it kills Hogs and Deer with a good hit.

I would use a 40 at under 20 yards if I did not have a better option.

JEB
October 1, 2012, 12:23 AM
Any time I push the 124gr 9mm xtp over 1250 fps it has jacket separation and frags does the .40 do better at higher speeds? I also live in iowa and it torques me that I can't hunt with my 9 but anything higher is ok.

from the rather informal bullet testing i have done (lined up milk jugs) the XTP's have held up very well. from a 4.49" barrel i am pushing a 180gr XTP around 1050-1075fps with a max charge of powerpistol. weight retention is almost always 95% or better, expansion is more than adequate, penetration is very good, accuracy is steller, and they very seldom lose their jacket and i have never had one frag on me. had one lose a petal once or twice but they hold together really good. they are all i will use in a handgun for hunting.

all that said, when i used a .40 for deer hunting it was only ever used as a finisher. i would not have hesitated to take a shot if it was within about 30 yards or so but i never got the chance. when i carried it, it was because it was all i had. i have since upgraded to a .44 mag and am very pleased with its performance; both accuracy and effect on deer.

Skylerbone
October 1, 2012, 01:48 PM
.50Cal. Knight Mk85 shooting a T/C 250gr. Shockwave (HP with plastic expansion insert), 100gr. Pyrodex (pellets), approx. 60 yds. Deer taken was approx. 80 lbs. doe. Both lungs, penetrated with NO exit hole, bullet lodged underneath the skin on far side. Penetration is never a given. I'm guessing and recalling on the animal's size but I can say it was takeout size as I hoisted it over my shoulder to load it (I don't let mom carry deer at her age).

http://forums.1911forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=80357&d=1334761741

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a better choice than 40 S&W but my personal choice is to never, no matter the critter, attempt anything I do not consider humane. It's a personal threshold with much universal wisdom applied.

22-rimfire
October 1, 2012, 04:14 PM
I think the 40 S&W is a little light for whitetailed deer unless you are very close. Are you willing to pass up a shot at 30 yds? I think the 357 mag is a little light for deer hunting. My standard advice is 10mm (or larger) in a pistol or 41 mag or larger in a revolver.

wildcatter109
October 1, 2012, 09:32 PM
;).50Cal. Knight Mk85 shooting a T/C 250gr. Shockwave (HP with plastic expansion insert), 100gr. Pyrodex (pellets), approx. 60 yds. Deer taken was approx. 80 lbs. doe. Both lungs, penetrated with NO exit hole, bullet lodged underneath the skin on far side. Penetration is never a given. I'm guessing and recalling on the animal's size but I can say it was takeout size as I hoisted it over my shoulder to load it (I don't let mom carry deer at her age).

http://forums.1911forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=80357&d=1334761741

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a better choice than 40 S&W but my personal choice is to never, no matter the critter, attempt anything I do not consider humane. It's a personal threshold with much universal wisdom applied.

Good advise!! ;)

murf
October 2, 2012, 10:55 PM
mcgunner,

what load are you using in that 357 blackhawk? what is the muzzle velocity?

thx,

murf

Buck13
October 3, 2012, 03:14 AM
Maybe worth considering:

http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_files/9mmvs45ACP.htm

Look at the two "versus bone and gelatin" links. Only two rather exotic bullet types expanded reliably when shot into gelatin through a bone-simulating layer, from either 9mm or .45 ACP. Interesting if true. From Ballistics By the Inch, real gun velocities for .40 come out between the 9mm and .45, so is there any reason to expect to expect .40 to be better?

Looks like if I was going to shoot a deer with an auto pistol, I'd practice like hell with something cheaper with similar MV, but shell out for one box of DPX. It sounds as if you have asked a question for which few people have real experience, so you may have to take your best guess.

Buck13
October 3, 2012, 10:04 AM
Do you mount a scope on your .40, or use iron sights? Iron sights would be one more handicap to perfect shot placement, IMHO.

22-rimfire
October 3, 2012, 04:57 PM
Using a scope or red dot type sight is easier to shoot more accurately on a shot by shot basis. At the distances that the OP should be taking a shot with a 40 S&W, no scope is needed. Again, I think in general the 40 S&W is too light for hunting, but not too light to carry as a companion piece while hunting.

22-rimfire
October 3, 2012, 10:57 PM
Unless you break bones (front shoulders or spine) and have a good heart-lung hit, most whitetails will run a bit and bleed out. That includes shooting them with a rifle.

Justin Holder
October 4, 2012, 02:37 AM
Despite what the negative nancies say, the .40s&w, properly loaded, is completely capable of taking deer sized game out to 50 yards or more.

Stay away from lightweight self defense loads and stick with quality, heavy 180-200gr. JHP, flat point FMJ or hard cast bullets.

With just a little practice most anyone can routinely keep all their shots from a service grade auto well inside a 12 inch circle at 50 yards.

coolluke01
October 4, 2012, 01:15 PM
With just a little practice most anyone can routinely keep all their shots from a service grade auto well inside a 12 inch circle at 50 yards.
This is hardly a acceptable standard for taking deer!

Despite what the negative nancies say, the .40s&w, properly loaded, is completely capable of taking deer sized game out to 50 yards or more.

If you are using the above standard for accuracy then this is hardly true.

Hangingrock
October 5, 2012, 09:00 AM
You would think by responsesí to this subject that deer have grown to the size of Elk and the S&W 500 would be barely adequate.:rolleyes:

Skylerbone
October 5, 2012, 12:00 PM
I'd hardly say they're now Elk sized but that I've seen a fair number of shooters who could not hit elephant sized targets beyond 15 yds. Shot placement will always be key and having a bullet properly designed and a cartridge loaded to take advantage of that design isn't far behind. Some calibers and bullet designs are better suited to the specific task of taking deer sized animals.

FWIW, the aforementioned 80 lb. deer took some time (and a knife) to expire while another, weighing in over 200 lbs. using the same bullet and 150 gr. charge dropped and had passed before I could cover the 155 yds. to check him. Similar shot placement but with an unmistakeable exit hole.

http://forums.1911forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=80358&d=1334761759

FenceChargerIII
October 9, 2012, 05:23 PM
Here in MO any center fire handgun is allowed.
My idea is more to carry the pistol as a backup. That way if I do get a good clear close shot with it, I could take it. I'm not sure I'd necessarily use it as a primary gun.

Justin Holder
October 9, 2012, 06:43 PM
Not exactly deer sized game but I did manage to get this little sucker the other afternoon with my G20 using the .40s&w conversion barrel at 30 yards. The 180gr. Winchester white box bonded JHP left a nice star shaped exit hole.

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad319/justin10mm/002-7.jpg

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad319/justin10mm/011.jpg

Buck13
October 10, 2012, 02:18 AM
You would think by responsesí to this subject that deer have grown to the size of Elk and the S&W 500 would be barely adequate.:rolleyes:

Perhaps we should consider this solution:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/825_magnum.htm
:evil:

ljnowell
October 10, 2012, 02:28 AM
lol. 3006 softpoints and 12 ga slugs often let deer run 50 yds or so with a chest hit, and you are claiming that a .44 swc stops them drt? :-) that's funny, dude.

Have you ever seen what a 44mag SWC will do to a deer? I'm willing to bet not. I have anchored deer in place with one. Its all about where you hit it. A 500 mag isnt going to drop a deer dead if you hit it in the soft flab and it misses everything inside.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pistol for deer hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!