uk roe stalking report.

PDA

interlock
September 27, 2012, 09:06 AM
Hi guys,
i have a quick report for you.
I went out roe stalking (still hunting in your language) last night. it's getting towards the end of the Buck season. The season starts 1st April and ends 31st October. (again a little giggle...)

I have been out maybe 8-10 times this year. I only shoot one animal per outing and have shot 6 bucks this year... i will go out again over the next couple of weeks....

then it will be Muntjac and Roe doe and fallow.

So last night i went to a local farm. it was pretty breezy. I was using my FN mauser 98 (1930 action) which has a 30-06 stainless barrel. Using a bushnell trophy 3-9 x 40. Home loaded 165 gr interlock spbt. loaded over 52 gr of N140. PPK in pocket in case i have to dispatch any injured animals.

The land is quite a long and narrow area. there is a particular area that has quite a few deer on it. The keeper has asked me to shoot some there.

I have shot this land for maybe 5-6 years. I shoot no Does and my target animals are yearlings before the rutt then after the rutt i look for any buck... generally i only see the yearlings after the rutt.... there is a good reason why big old bucks are big old bucks.

After having a rush about having to cook dinner for my kids i finally get to the farm.

I always hunt the wind... this is the most important thing.

but in order to get to the area i want to hunt i have to go for a 2 mile walk round the wind across ploughed fields after the rain. I had mud wieghing 2 stone each on my feet!

as i am now working into the wind there are loads of slots and sign of deer. I was there after the sun had been down for about 30 min. I was glassing the area really well, this is a hot spot.

As i walked down beside the hedge, i looked through the gap in the hedge and saw a deer. It was at an oblique angle and the deer was walking slowly broadside to me. It seemed a long way away, light was fading. I had a look through my binos and watched for a while. It was really dificult to see whether it was a buck or a doe. I saw some little skinny antlers and thought, we are on.

I put my rifle on sticks and looked through my scope, aquired the deer pretty easily... but it had walked forward a yard or so and about half way along the bullet flight was a bramble frond that obscured the ideal pocket.... Hell, thats my favourite shot gone. I thought "well i will go as far forward on the animal as i can without touching that bramble frond"

So i dropped the safety, Squeezed the shot off. "whomp" the sound of the impact was really clear, i also recognised the sound of a too far back shot.

The deer just folded up and went down.

As i followed up i had another round chambered in case i came across another.. i paced the shot out at 170 yards

I just rounded the corner of a bush and i saw a kid from this year grazing. Her spots had gone and she was about half grown. She was only 10 feet or so from me. I thought.."sh**, the light is bad, i hope that buck wasnt a doe and this little girls mum"

I watched the young deer for a moment ro two. Had it been a buck i would have shot it with the PPK. I bet there are not many deer culled with a ppk!

I continued my search for the deer, found it, it was a Buck as i knew.
i saw the bullet had entered the chest just in front of the diaphram. exitted the other side ... bringing stomach content with it.

On gralloch i saw the bullet had taken the back off both lungs, slit the stomach and mashed the liver.... remind me never to be shot with a high velocity rifle.... I did a full gralloch and recovered the animal.

When i got home i was able to cut about an 8 inch square from the side of the exit. the bullet had forced stomach contents and liver bits between all of the layers and membranes. I hosed the cavity out, It was ok. it will butcher out nicely, the bit i cut out was only ribs.

here is a picture. this is a yearling buck, the antlers get another tine as they get older. This is a perfect cull animal.

interlock

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff91/ukroehunter/2012-09-26211544.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "uk roe stalking report." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sky
September 27, 2012, 09:12 AM
Great story thanks.

Sav .250
September 27, 2012, 09:35 AM
Nice read.

I shot a few of those while in Germany. As for the 30-06 for Roe deer. It`s a little to big for my taste.If you use that 06 on other bigger deer(stag) that`s another story. My favorite was a Sav 99 in the Sav 250 cal.
Good pic of you buck. :)

adelbridge
September 27, 2012, 06:02 PM
great read. our archery deer season is 2 days away so I appreciate your story immensely.
How do you get to own and carry a PPK?

splattergun
September 27, 2012, 08:53 PM
Nice buck, Interlock. I always enjoy reading your posts. You give me a new word nearly every time. Gralloch. I'll try to use that one in camp! "Here's a good blade, Jeff. Go grolloch that mule deer you shot now."

I like it.

interlock
September 28, 2012, 03:58 AM
How do you get to own and carry a PPK?

on her majesties secret service...... cant say anymore than that.

or i am involved in a scheme where i am called to humanely destroy animals at the roadside so a pistol is ideal for that. i had the ppk with me because i did a bit of practise with it before stalking and didnt want to leave it in my car

If you enjoyed reading about "uk roe stalking report." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!