Would you trade?

PDA

Quoheleth
September 27, 2012, 10:35 PM
I have a Colt Detective Special, 1968 manufacture per Colt's customer service rep's SN lookup. The gun is a shooter, not a collector. Bluing is probably 75%, give or take a bit. One grip is cracked, but they are original Colt grips. Gun is tight and in good mechanical condition.

Would you trade my Colt for a gently used Ruger LCR?

Curious to see opinions.

Q

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you trade?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
snooperman
September 27, 2012, 10:40 PM
No way, You have 6 shots and a real classic that is not being made anymore. I would not consider such a trade. My 2 cents.

bikerdoc
September 27, 2012, 10:41 PM
NO!
If didn't know you to be a man of honor , I would think you daft.

351 WINCHESTER
September 27, 2012, 11:07 PM
No and heck no. That old Colt is like a Swiss watch and was built by real craftsmen.

gspn
September 27, 2012, 11:33 PM
I wouldn't...but then again...I don't want an LCR.

If you like the deal...do it. I had two colt detective specials. I gave one to a buddy as a retirement gift...the other i'm keeping (1962 manuf.).

Arkansas Paul
September 27, 2012, 11:35 PM
No freakin way I would.
But that's me.

weisse52
September 27, 2012, 11:57 PM
No...no...and No. I owned a Ruger LCR and it was a nice piece. But they still make them by the truckload. Keep that Colt.

bikemutt
September 27, 2012, 11:58 PM
Only possible way is if it were my LCR :)

skidder
September 28, 2012, 12:08 AM
That did it, Alice - that did it. You have just broken the camel's back with that straw. One of these days... One of these days... POW! Right in the kisser! :D

rswartsell
September 28, 2012, 12:30 AM
DS for me please, even with more problems than described. I'll work with it. LCR? First real problem and I'm looking for the recycling bin.

Texan Scott
September 28, 2012, 12:32 AM
No.

Manny
September 28, 2012, 12:40 AM
I'm the lone dissenter, don't care for Colt DA revolvers and I really like LCR's. I don't know what the value of a shooter Colt is, but if the dollars are in line with what an LCR goes for I'd be making that trade.

Frizzman
September 28, 2012, 12:41 AM
Nooooo!!!!!

Buzznrose
September 28, 2012, 12:43 AM
I wouldn't...LCR sells for $400, Colt for probably $500 or better

http://texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=19&b%5Bsearch_text%5D=LCR&c=0&b%5Bsearch_by_field%5D=all_fields&b%5Bsubcategories_also%5D=1

http://texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=19&b%5Bsearch_text%5D=Colt+detective+special&c=0&b%5Bsearch_by_field%5D=all_fields&b%5Bsubcategories_also%5D=1

lowercase
September 28, 2012, 01:12 AM
I'd love to have a "shooter" quality Detective Special.

No way I'd trade it away for an LCR.

22-rimfire
September 28, 2012, 01:19 AM
I think you are getting the short end of the trade if the LCR is used by about $50-$75. I like Detective Specials, but they are just guns same as any other. It is not particularly collectable.

ColtPythonElite
September 28, 2012, 01:20 AM
Not for 2 LCRs.

Old Dog
September 28, 2012, 02:47 AM
In the name of all that is holy, no! No! And no! A classic for a ... piece of plastic? Argh!

shiftyer1
September 28, 2012, 03:15 AM
If the colt didn't suit me and the ruger does....yes

bannockburn
September 28, 2012, 07:40 AM
No way, no how.

The only trade I would consider would be for an upgrade to a nicer Detective Special, Agent, or Cobra.

dgroff85
September 28, 2012, 09:09 AM
Okay, I will play.....NO! :)

Quoheleth
September 28, 2012, 12:49 PM
[in Howard Wallowitz voice]

Okay, okay...stop yelling at me, ma!

[/off]

Thanks for setting me straight. What on earth was I thinking? :o

Q

lobo9er
September 28, 2012, 12:57 PM
more of same here, no. the colt since its a shooter would be a cool gun to fix up new grips, maybe re-blue or really tick the purist's off by parkerizing or guncote'n.

PRM
September 28, 2012, 01:09 PM
I would personally rather live next door to someone who owns a Colt as to have the other...LOL

Vern Humphrey
September 28, 2012, 01:14 PM
Anyone who offered me a LCR for my Colt DS would find himself looking for his teeth!

marv
September 28, 2012, 06:10 PM
I have a couple gently used LCR. I would Gladly trade either for a Det Spec.

Iggy
September 28, 2012, 06:18 PM
Glad you came to your senses. There was rumblin's about sumbody gittin' a rope!!:evil:

Guillermo
September 28, 2012, 06:21 PM
not in a trillion years

Jaymo
September 28, 2012, 07:02 PM
How can anyone, who has shot a DA Colt NOT like them?

Quoheleth
September 28, 2012, 07:15 PM
Guillermo - I'm shocked by your answer! Shocked, I say!

:neener:

I have come to my senses.

That said, if someone offered a slicked up Smith 15 or 19 with a 3" tube and a round butt, that would be very, very tempting.

Q

Jaymo
September 28, 2012, 07:21 PM
Nah. The Smiths are more common.
Not that I wouldn't like one, but I see a lot more K frames than I do D frames.

Haywood
September 28, 2012, 08:30 PM
If the LCR is a 357 I would trade in a hart beat.

rswartsell
September 28, 2012, 11:08 PM
I voted for the Colt, and with absolutely no interest in collector grade or as investment. I am limiting my respone to considering both shooters. Shooting small frame 2" bbl. .38 SPL. of ANY DESCRIPTION is not easy for most shooters. I educated myself to do so for CCW application by choice.

I have experience with some Smith J Frames, Ruger SP101, and just a bit with the LCR. Of course also with the Colt D frame.

I do not have experience with Smith K frame 2" ers. The Model 10 and 15. I love the 15 in 4" configuration and respect the hell out of the 10 for purpose. Hands down the best performance in a 2" .38 spl. I can achieve is with the Colt DS. Why is that? The LCR has a good trigger, I think better than the Smith J frames. I'm not sure I can delineate why but it is true. Perhaps confidence? Maybe, the DS is as accurate as I am and perhaps knowing that or feeling that way makes a difference. The trigger on my '70s DS might "stack" a bit but I truly have never noticed in my CCW oriented practice. I have never tried to adjust to a Colt "stacking" trigger. It is consistent, it feels good and it is steel. That to me is the break-point. I am fully aware of the difficulty in trying to find a gunsmith to work on a Colt and still feel it is more "permanent" or heirloom material than the LCR. How many plastic mechanics there are I do not know but I do know it wasn't designed to fix but to replace. Either in toto or by component.

I don't like that. Maybe I'm a growing obsolete "Empire Man" not adjusting to the new order and clinging to my guns and religion.

I don't care. Give me the Detective Special. I also like 6 shots.

MIL-DOT
September 29, 2012, 10:49 AM
Not only "no", but HECK no !! (apologies for the expletive:D)

Guillermo
September 29, 2012, 12:30 PM
Guillermo - I'm shocked by your answer! Shocked, I say!

Quoheleth have a little Casablanca moment?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME

Jaymo
September 29, 2012, 01:04 PM
Did I mention? Hell NO! Not in a million years. That's like trading a Colt Gold Cup for a Glock.

I'd give you an LCR for a DS all day, any day of the week.

Fotno
September 29, 2012, 01:27 PM
No way. I have a Detective Special, and it would be the last of my guns to go.

Jaymo
September 29, 2012, 01:43 PM
I've been trying to talk my mom into letting me buy her another .38 for her to use as her bedside gun.
The idea of her D frame Commando Special sitting in an evidence locker, rusting away, makes me sick. It may be a moot point, because in GA, forced entry = home invasion. Home invasion in GA = automatic justification of lethal force.
I may try to find her a Speed Six snub or a Taurus 85. Since she's not using it for carry, a Taurus 82 would be a great choice, also.

MtnSpur
September 29, 2012, 03:14 PM

Back away from whatever it is you appear to be smoking as it's illegal, while you 're at it put down the bottle of Ripple. Trading a Colt for a dime a dozen LCR is a hanging offense in my neck of the woods. Please seek professional counseling ASAP.

Cluster Bomb
September 29, 2012, 03:40 PM
Hellz to tha noez!

lol

TennJed
September 29, 2012, 04:06 PM
has anyone said no yet? If they did I agree

Hondo 60
September 29, 2012, 10:45 PM
Noooooooooooooooooo

KevininPa
October 2, 2012, 12:33 AM
.........majority and say no. But I don't like polymer guns at all. Semi autos are one thing, but my personal opinion is that polymer revolvers are just sacrilege.

Semis are always evolving and I can always look at those like "eh", ok. But I just feel that plastic never should have entered the revolver world. Though I have to admit the LCR trigger is great out of the box. But I still bought the S&W Airweight instead.:)

SatCong
October 2, 2012, 12:42 AM
I say NO too.:cool:

joneb
October 2, 2012, 01:18 AM
I have a Colt Detective Special, 1968 manufacture per Colt's customer service rep's SN lookup. The gun is a shooter, not a collector. Bluing is probably 75%, give or take a bit. One grip is cracked, but they are original Colt grips. Gun is tight and in good mechanical condition.

That would be like trading a Mercedes for a Volkswagen :confused:

Vern Humphrey
October 2, 2012, 11:12 AM
I am reminded of Pat MacManus, who once wrote he could transform a pair of cased Perrazis into a Mossberg pump in three trades.:p

Quoheleth
October 2, 2012, 06:32 PM
Folks - I'm keeping the Colt. Took it for another ride yesterday to the range and it endeared itself to me very quickly and efficiently.

It's mine.

Unless someone wants me to pretend it was Bonnie or Clyde's and offer to pay me $250,000. :neener:

Q

FERLACH
October 3, 2012, 07:30 PM
Keep the Colt, much better quality gun.

Jaymo
October 3, 2012, 07:38 PM
Glad you kept the D frame. I'm still looking for a good Dick Special, Commando Special, DS2, or SF-VI

As much as I like J-frame Smiths, Taurus 85s, Charter Bulldog .44s, and Ruger LCRs, NONE of them shoot as well as the Colt.

22-rimfire
October 4, 2012, 12:07 AM
With a sweetener, a trade is always possible. I like my Detective Special. I bought it as a shooter and it will remain with me. But as I said before, it's just a gun. (Background noise... BUT IT'S A COLT!)

just for fun
October 4, 2012, 11:58 AM
You can always buy a ruger, but a colt? Bring your checkbook! CLR $350-375 all day long.

Vern Humphrey
October 4, 2012, 12:03 PM
Bring your checkbook! CLR $350-375 all day long.
And if I could buy Detective Specials for that price, I would buy them all day long.

Remllez
October 4, 2012, 02:50 PM
Q,

It's becoming increasingly hard for me to trade or sell any of my Colt revolvers. I'm glad you are keeping it! You summed it up perfectly when you said "it endeared itself to me". The craftsmanship of the older Colts is a treasure that will never be seen again.

I own a DS as well as an LCR and there is no comparison! Even though I reccomend LCR's to new shooters all the time it's usually because they want a good snub and they want it now. The triggers on the Rugers are fantastic, they are light and seem to hold up very well.

But alas there's just no class with the LCR's.You made a wise choice....:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you trade?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!