Problems loading for .243 Win

PDA

blzeye
September 28, 2012, 09:55 AM
I just got a new Ruger American Rifle in .243. I posted a quick review in the 'rifles' forum. I had an awesome group of 3 shots in 1/4" at 100 yds., using some old Sierra 85 gr HPBT that my friend had on the shelf, 41.5 gr H414, Fed 210M primers in new Winchester cases. I did some checking, using Hornady's COL gauge & bullet comparator, & found out that even though we made them w/ the COL recommended in the manual, they were .057" longer than my gun can take, (I didn't have the gun yet when we loaded some test-loads for it). So when I loaded more, I pressed them w/ .010" jump to the lands. I didn't measure the groups, but it didn't do well. Maybe 2.5" at 100.
I have new rings coming today, & I'm going to make sure everything is tight. I know you shouldn't press the bullet into the lands w/ the bolt, but could it have shot that much better doing so compared to loading them the way you're supposed to? Suggestions needed from you experience handloaders.
Please see my next post too. Another issue w/ the same rifle... Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Problems loading for .243 Win" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
iiranger
September 28, 2012, 04:04 PM
The overall length is all about the magazine. If it is too long, then it gets mucked up in the magazine. If you hand load, you control the chamber. If your best accuracy is with bullet on the lands and you don't have huger excessive pressure? Why not? Cut the charge a trifle and go for it. Reloading advice is just that, advice. You need to try, carefully, and see what works best for you. If you are going for pests and will load one at a time anyway... Luck.

kelbro
September 30, 2012, 02:31 PM
It has been my experience that when you reduce case capacity, you need to reduce the load. The gun seems to like the bullet. Start .6-.8gr lower and work up till you find the new sweet spot.

243winxb
September 30, 2012, 04:18 PM
Seating the bullets into the rifling centers the round in the chamber, giving better alignment. The pressure goes up also, burning the powder better, with no pressure spikes. Your 3 shot group of 1/4" is just getting lucky.

If you enjoyed reading about "Problems loading for .243 Win" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!