Hornady LNL AP, what is this part

PDA

birdshooter
September 28, 2012, 02:41 PM
Im setting up my new press that I finally purchased. Things are going well but it seems I have something left over. Any help is appreciated.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t445/birdshooter1/87dc51278ba56e47a00e042a83c801d6.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornady LNL AP, what is this part" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dap22
September 28, 2012, 03:20 PM
It's called the PTX powder measure stop. It attaches to the arms that activate your powder tube and allows for belling of the cases through adjustment of either end. I bought a couple for my L-N-L's and they worked as advertised.

Hornady should have a schematic on their website to refer to for setting them up.

wardor
September 28, 2012, 03:24 PM
If you don't have the powder through expander (PTX), either purchased separately or from the bullet feed die, you won't need it. You put it somewhere to the side and remember where it is in case you ever go to PTX (or powderfunnels.com for pistol rounds).

birdshooter
September 28, 2012, 03:50 PM
Thank you guys! I didn't see it in the schematic of the press and thought I was crazy. I'm not going the PTX route as of now so I will put it in a safe place (and probably forget where that safe place is down the road).

KansasSasquatch
September 28, 2012, 04:10 PM
There should be, I think it's a single sheet of paper, in the box that has a little more detail about setting up the PTX stop if you ever get around to using a PTX. The powderfunnels.com PTX is designed to work with most calibers rather than having individual PTX inserts. Less to change out when switching calibers, you just make some adjustments that you'd normally have to make anyways.

BYJO4
September 28, 2012, 09:28 PM
It works great when using Hornady's PTX expanders and makes adjustment very easy.

hAkron
September 29, 2012, 08:24 PM
On your powder measure, where the spring attaches the upper powder measure to the lower powder die, remove the spring and install that piece, then re-attach the spring. When you expand and powder on the same step using an expander insert (sold by Hornady or powderfunnels.com) this device gives you some additional adjustment so that you don't need to run the powder die down so far.

Captaingyro
October 2, 2012, 11:35 AM
I will put it in a safe place (and probably forget where that safe place is down the road).

Been there, done that. I finally discovered a great way to keep track of spare parts: ziplock freezer bags.

Buy the kind of bags that have a white area where you can label them with a Sharpie. Write the name of the machine and/or gun on the bag, then dump all the spare parts in it. Then (very important!) keep all of your spare parts bags in the same drawer, shelf, or bin. You may have to sort through a few bags, but you'll be able to recover your parts months later when you finally need them.

GW Staar
October 2, 2012, 12:52 PM
Trivia but interesting:

The PTX Powder Measure Stop, was invented by an AP user who didn't like the pressure applied to the Powder Measure while belling using the PTX. So he came up with that and sent a video to YouTube.

Hornady engineers grabbed the idea. I don't know what arrangement they made with the inventor...but I believe it was amiable.:)

I can't fine the original video any longer....must have removed it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornady LNL AP, what is this part" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!