help..I cant figure out anything about this revolver

PDA

mikes7581
September 28, 2012, 03:48 PM
Hi, i am looking for some help identifyjng a revolver that was left to me. It has a non-original grip with a colt logo. It is smaller than a 9mm but larger than a 22. The only markings are on the top that says either TDS or DS Revolver co. Any help would be great. I have been to three local gunsmiths and noone has a clue. Here is a pic of it to help

If you enjoyed reading about "help..I cant figure out anything about this revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
September 28, 2012, 03:58 PM
It is a top break .32 revolver.

Could be .32 rimfire, or .32 centerfire.
You would have to determine that yourself from the location of the firing pin hole in the frame.
If it is centered with the bore?
It is a centerfire.

If it isn't, it is a rimfire.

The barrel marking almost looks like it has been filed or ground off and re-stamped, so I can't help you with that.

But it looks to be of one the Hopkins & Allen type of Saturday Night Specials made 100 years ago.

rc

bannockburn
September 28, 2012, 06:00 PM
If those letters on the barrel are "O" and "S" then it might be the Otis Smith Company which made cheap Saturday Night Specials somewhere around 1870 to the early 1900's. Their revolvers could typically be found in .22 and .32 caliber.

Jim K
September 28, 2012, 06:04 PM
It looks like "U.S. Revolver Co.". U.S. Revolver Co. was set up by Iver Johnson at first to sell off their older stock of parts when they came out with their then-new transfer bar safety. When the line proved popular, they continued production, selling the U.S. brand to mail order companies (like Sears) while selling their own Iver Johnson brand through distributors.

As you say, the stocks are replacements; the originals would have been hard rubber and probably broke at some point.

Value is not high, probably around $75. The serial number should be under the left grip and would let us know the manufacture date and whether it was made for modern ammunition.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "help..I cant figure out anything about this revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!