New barrel bushing for SR1911

PDA

spazzymcgee
September 30, 2012, 06:31 PM
I lost the barrel bushing for my brand new Ruger SR1911! I need a new one that matches my gun and fits well. I'd love to keep it cheap, too. Where can I find one, and will it need to be fitted? Thanks in advance, guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "New barrel bushing for SR1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
September 30, 2012, 06:42 PM
for my brand new Ruger SR1911!Mmmmm?

How about Ruger customer service / Parts department!
No, it shouldn't need fitting if Ruger sends you one..

How the heck do you lose a barrel bushing anyway? :confused:
Inquiring minds want to know!

rc

spazzymcgee
September 30, 2012, 07:35 PM
I was taking it apart, when the recoil spring, plug, and bushing shot across my bedroom. I found everything but the barrel bushing. Even after a couple hours of looking. Yeah, I know, it was stupid. Or a conspiracy! Regardless, ShopRuger.com's SR1911 parts section doesn't have it, so I suppose I'll contact ruger.

rcmodel
September 30, 2012, 08:36 PM
If it was in your bedrooom?
It is still in your bedroom.

(Unless it fell in one of your fuzzy pink bunny slippers and you tracked it into the kitchen.)

Keep looking!!

Probably in the corner under the Big Mac wrappers, Cheese Curl sacks, and dirty laundry!!
Or in one of your old tenny shoes.

BTW: You know it's time to pick up your room & do laundry when big 1911 parts go missing :D

rc

Reloadron
September 30, 2012, 09:06 PM
First, I agree with RC in that it has to be there somewhere. Parts can bounce funny.

Next, I do remember reading the on the Ruger 1911 guns the barrel and barrel bushing are milled together from the same block. Ruger claims that allows for the best barrel and barrel bushing fit. Like on a gun by gun basis was my take.

Ruger can be strange about certain parts. They may want you to send the barrel so they can fit a bushing to it.

Anyway, that bushing is there somewhere so just keep looking. Nooks, crannies, and folds in bed linen as well as shoes or wherever. It didn't walk away.

Ron

rcmodel
September 30, 2012, 09:13 PM
BTW: You ought to try losing a weapons part in the dark, in a muddy foxhole, half full of water sometime.

I can GayRonTee Ya you WILL find it, if you want too bad enough!!

A barrel bushing in a bedroom should be child's play compared to that.

rc

BBBBill
September 30, 2012, 09:31 PM
My wife lost her Browning BDA 380 one time. She found it when she was moving the linens from the washer to the dryer......

303 hunter
September 30, 2012, 10:07 PM
I lost a 1911 bushing 2 years ago-still haven't found it! Yes they require fitting for best accuracy;I'm lucky I have a gunsmith buddy.

JRWhit
September 30, 2012, 10:13 PM
If it was a snake it would have bit ya.

OilyPablo
September 30, 2012, 10:16 PM
You're gonna step on that dawg in the morning! Ouch!!

I must admit - or ask - how the heck do you launch the bushing? I have launched a plunger tube, but a bushing? That took mad skills!

Jim K
September 30, 2012, 10:46 PM
It won't keep the bushing in check, but in a properly made 1911, the recoil spring plug has a dimple that the spring screws into, and the other end of the spring has a crimped coil so it fits tightly over the recoil spring guide. That keeps the three parts together and the plug and spring from taking off.

Jim

spazzymcgee
October 1, 2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the replies, but I looked literally everywhere. And then some. I know it's crazy, and it was stupid, but Ruger says that they can't send me one. Can someone please Recommend me one that will fit and look correct?

rcmodel
October 1, 2012, 10:28 PM
No.

I have no experiance with Ruger 1911 barrels.

I still insist it has to be in your bedroom, if it ever was in your bedroom.

Look down the furnace vents, tear the bed apart, look in shoes, dirty clothes, under the dresser, etc.

I simply has to be there somewhere, if it ever was.

rc

BBBBill
October 1, 2012, 10:29 PM
Get a good dial caliper and measure the inside diameter of the slide where the bushing seats and the outside diameter of the barrel at the front end. Contact Evolution Gun Works (EGW) for a bushing. Give them those numbers and they will produce one for you that will fit.

rcmodel
October 1, 2012, 10:36 PM
Or find the one you lost in the bedroom!!

Maybe it bounced off the floor and got stuck up inside the box springs or something??

But whatever, it simply has to be in there, somewhere!!!!

They don't grow legs in the dark and run off.

rc

OilyPablo
October 1, 2012, 10:52 PM
I checked mine. Like most gun "stainless" it is magnetic. Get a strong magnet on a stick and drag it around the shag carpet. Look in the odd places.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=barrel+bushing/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=barrel_bushing

spazzymcgee
October 1, 2012, 10:53 PM
RC, I understand your logic, but you just plain have no idea how incredibly hard and long I looked for that damn bushing. Hours and hours. I can't stop kicking myself over it. My room wasn't dirty, and it couldn't have fallen in the vents. Something either ate it, or there's a goblin in there stealing shiny things. I have trouble believing it myself. I guess I'll contact those guys and have them make me one. Thanks.

Shimitup
October 3, 2012, 02:07 AM
Be assured, when you buy a new one you will immediately find the old one. It's that Murphy's Law thing.

highorder
October 3, 2012, 01:31 PM
I'm with rc. It's in there. Rent a metal detector. :)

sidebar:

Yesterday I lost an AR front takedown pin detent spring plunger. Outdoors. :(

Where to find a replacement without buying a LPK, or even the pin/detent kit?

rcmodel
October 3, 2012, 01:59 PM
If you know the general vicinity where you lost the pin try a pick-up magnet.

It should suck it up if you know where you lost it.

rc

ljnowell
October 3, 2012, 02:01 PM
Did you look at the ceiling? I gotta tell you, I have seen parts embed themselves in a ceiling if they are flying fast enough. Also, look on shelves, behind pictures, etc.

Skylerbone
October 3, 2012, 04:18 PM
Are we sure the correct part has been identified? If all those things went flying at once, the pistol was not taken down correctly and the bushing most certainly wasn't "fit for best accuracy".

If you go with the EGW you'll need some fine sandpaper or a bushing wrench, depending on how tight a fit you want.

Jon_Snow
October 3, 2012, 04:50 PM
Highorder, check here, http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=13502; item number 14.

highorder
October 3, 2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks, I didn't think about Numrich...

spazzymcgee
October 5, 2012, 06:57 PM
I called Ruger, to compliment my previous email, and apparently, they cannot send me one. However, they're covering the shipping for me to send them the gun and they're going to replace and fit the bushing all for free! I even told them that I lost it, and that it wasn't their fault. I'm simply amazed that they would do something like that for me.

Jim Watson
October 5, 2012, 07:09 PM
A gun designed for routine maintenance by a Private who probably did not make it out of grammar school, and they "cannot" send you a mass produced part to put in.
So they are going to enrich UPS by a hundred bucks and pay a warranty clerk to pick a bushing out of a bin and stick it in.

And we wonder why gun prices are so high.

Phooey.

Don't feel bad, I lost not one but two recoil spring plugs launched into the clutter of my shop. I did not find them even when moving stuff out for the old building to be demolished.

rcmodel
October 5, 2012, 10:18 PM
I still do not understand how you can "launch" a barrel bushing????

It has to be turned one way past center to get the recoil spring plug out.

Then turned the other way past center to get the barrel bushing out of the slide.

At no point is it under spring pressure where it could come out of the slide and get "launched".

rc

David Rose
October 6, 2012, 08:05 AM
I once lost the recoil spring assembly from a Remington recoil action shotgun. This sucker is 1 1/4" in diameter and about 7" long. It bounced off the ceiling, then the floor. It ended up in a small uncovered heater vent opening underneath a grinder table. It took effort to get it back to the hidey hole after finding it to prove that it could happen. But it did. Don't feel bad about not finding it. It will show up after you get a replacement.

Sorry that I don't have one in front of me to take measurements. It is likely about standard.

David

highlander 5
October 6, 2012, 09:10 AM
Have you looked in the refrigarator/freezer yet.:neener::neener: I dropped the brass lense cap to the period piece scope on my Sharps ,tore the room apart couldn't find it and had to order another. I had a vest hanging near by at the time,a few month's later needed the vest because of the winter cold. Putthe vest on put my hand in the pocket and guess what I found. The little bugger hit the floor and bounced into the vest side pocket,who da thunk it.

spazzymcgee
October 8, 2012, 10:54 PM
RC, It's difficult to explain exactly how it happened. I don't remember it well anyway. I do remember however, that I started by turning the barrel bushing in the wrong direction, and it being an awkward predicament. Somehow, I suppose the bushing got caught on the recoil spring and plug, while the bushing detached itself from the grooves inside the slide. It all shot out, and now I'm here. I know it sounds like an odd situation, but hopefully that clears it up a little.

Krogen
October 10, 2012, 02:44 AM
I bet it's sitting in the ceiling light fixture.....

Skylerbone
October 10, 2012, 11:16 AM
I'd check the tool kit/cleaning box. Should have cartwheeled off to the side is my guess.

Drail
October 10, 2012, 08:40 PM
I have had small springs and plungers launched across my shop until I learned how to control them. Lost a tiny spring once, tore the shop apart searching, never found it, and finally ordered a replacement. 3 months later I find the original springs in the very back of the bottom drawer of the tool box. They always seem to turn up eventually after you buy a replacement.

If you enjoyed reading about "New barrel bushing for SR1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!