Walkalong.. 32-20 question

PDA

JLDickmon
September 30, 2012, 08:47 PM
what brand of brass do you prefer?

I'm loading the last of my Starline tonight, and I've smushed the mouths of half a dozen cases by having them stick to my fingers (case lube) and driving them into the rim of the die..

Then I got looking at it.. Now I know 32-20 isn't the heaviest brass in the known universe, but this stuff is like tinfoil..

If you enjoyed reading about "Walkalong.. 32-20 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
September 30, 2012, 09:00 PM
I am using Starline brass. I have only ruined a couple of cases, and it was my fault. I just bought 500 more not long ago.

Earlier this evening I loaded 25 of my old cases with a new load to try. Hopefully I can do that one afternoon this week.

I let go of my cases long before they get to the die. As you know, it is quite easy to push/pull them out of line and ruin one.

When sizing I go slow and rarely have a problem. The cases I have ruined have been when I was going too fast and being careless.

It has been so long since I have had anything but Starline .32-20 cases I have no idea how they match up to other brands as far as neck wall diameter. Maybe someone else can help us out.

JLDickmon
September 30, 2012, 09:19 PM
hmmmpf.

I was hoping you'd say Remington or Federal..

Ah well..

tell me about the new load!
This for that S&W you have?

I'm trying the first load for those 78 gr Missouri's I got last week.
Trying 6.3 gr of Blue Dirt

Walkalong
September 30, 2012, 09:31 PM
A Berrys 83 Gr HBWC loaded to 1.365 OAL with a WSP primer and 4.2 Grs of True Blue.

4.0 Grs gave me 691 FPS powder back, and 603 FPS powder forward. 77 Degrees and 75% RH.

This was in my S&W Model of 1905 Target in .32-20. It has a slower barrel than my standard 6 "1905. (In the neighborhood of 50 to 75 FPS slower on average)

I have absolutely no data to back this up. Use at your own risk.

JLDickmon
September 30, 2012, 09:41 PM
Ever try Trail Boss or Tin Star?

Walkalong
September 30, 2012, 09:47 PM
I have tired them both in .32-20. Neither work well with plated bullets in .32-20.

Trail Boss does work well with lead in .32-20, but I have not tried the N32C with lead yet.

JLDickmon
September 30, 2012, 11:28 PM
I can't believe I got to try these out on a live target already..

They will kill a possum at eight feet..

If you enjoyed reading about "Walkalong.. 32-20 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!