RCBS Primer pocket swagger/Lee Press

PDA

Mike 27
October 1, 2012, 12:51 AM
I searched the forum and googled this but wondering what mods are out there for the RCBS swagger with the Lee challenger press? I have a piece of pipe over the ram now that seems to be working but wondering if anyone else had found a fix.

If you enjoyed reading about "RCBS Primer pocket swagger/Lee Press" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArchAngelCD
October 1, 2012, 01:15 AM
RCBS specifically states that tool is for use with a single stage press and this time I think they are serious. I haven't found anything on the net that would change that. If you find something let us know because I would like to use it with my Lee turret press.

Mike 27
October 1, 2012, 02:03 AM
I don't have the turret, but looking at the pictures of it I don't see how to make it work for you. The issue with the Lee single stage is the base is not flat and the striker plate needs a flat surface to knock off the shells. The pipe I have now is PVC (all I had laying around), I may need to go with a metallic pipe, and that may work better. I have to really ram the press to knock the shells off. found out quickly to clean off the bench or have stuff fly everywhere.

evan price
October 1, 2012, 04:44 AM
I use mine with my Lee old 3-hole classic turret. I took a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate from my scrap bin at work- measures 3" x 1.5"- and drilled a hole in the center using a hole saw so it was just slightly bigger than the ram. This lays on the base of the press, and it lets the case ejector collar hit it so the case is ejected. Cost me nothing but a few minutes of time.

Mike 27
October 1, 2012, 09:31 AM
I didn't even thing about it but I bet my machine shop at work has some scrap stock I could work something like that up.

Mike

cfullgraf
October 1, 2012, 09:54 AM
A suggestion, you might want to shape the knock off device to fit the top of the press. This will distribute the load of knocking off the shell over a larger area. Particularly if you use a piece of pipe. The pipe edge is fairly narrow which would increase the point load.

An aluminum frame press would show damage more quickly than the cast iron base turret press.

A piece of plate may by itself spread out the load.

Sounds like a good solution though.

ArchAngelCD
October 1, 2012, 12:38 PM
The scrap aluminum sounds great, thanks...

I have a RCBS Rockchucker but because of very limited space I only have the Lee turret press set up. I'm going to have to find a place for the Rockchucker because it's a very useful tool.

StandingTall
October 1, 2012, 02:07 PM
I used the same setup as this guy until I bought the new bench mounted RCBS primer pocket swager:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5EFZaqkbTI

Mike 27
October 1, 2012, 11:14 PM
That video gave me the idea but if I can make it over to the machine shop and talk to the machinist I am gonna try to get a chunk of aluminum and drill it out and fit it. I think the bulk of the chunk of metal will help knock the shells off without rattling the entire bench. I have the single stage on a small old computer desk and the LNL on the bulky work bench.

dickttx
October 2, 2012, 12:31 PM
I have a old C-H CHampion press that has the large diameter ram.
Since the hole for the ram was larger that the RCBS part that ejects the case I had a washer welded onto it. See the thread below. (Post #8)

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=633788

Don't think it would work on the LCT because of the plastic collar.

kingmt
October 4, 2012, 02:28 PM
It is much easier to just get the CH4D swager & prime kit. Probably cheaper also.

rcmodel
October 4, 2012, 02:34 PM
Heres a tip regardless of what kind of press you are using.

Spray the primer pockets with sizing lube before swaging, and they will swage much easier, as well as come off the swaging pin much easier.

You are "sizing" the primer pockets after all.

rc

Mike 27
October 5, 2012, 11:40 AM
I'll try the lube RC didn't think about that. I haven't made it by to grab the chunk of metal yet but when I do I will update again.

Mike

Certaindeaf
October 5, 2012, 11:56 AM
Geez, why didn't I think of that? I must be dumb.

If you enjoyed reading about "RCBS Primer pocket swagger/Lee Press" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!