Silly question about rifle "body dies"

PDA

Shmackey
October 1, 2012, 12:26 PM
What's the difference between a body die and a regular full-length die with the complete expander/decapper assembly removed?

If you enjoyed reading about "Silly question about rifle "body dies"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shmackey
October 1, 2012, 12:31 PM
Boy, that _was_ a silly question. The body die doesn't touch the neck at all. :)

kimbernut
October 1, 2012, 12:37 PM
I'm a relative newcomer to reloading(1998) but I have never heard mention of a body die before. Is this something readily available from all die manufacturers or is this something you have to request as a special order item?

Shmackey
October 1, 2012, 12:54 PM
Most manufacturers don't make them. I know that Redding does.

They are used to resize the body and bump the shoulder without touching the neck--generally for brass that is usually neck-sized only. Every so often, neck-sized brass needs the body sized as well.

Walkalong
October 1, 2012, 01:00 PM
As far as I know, only Redding makes them.

USSR
October 1, 2012, 01:34 PM
The body die is one of 3 dies that come in a Redding Competition Die set. I use it in conjunction with the Competition Necksizing Die to essentially do FL resizing in 2 distinct operations. Great die to have.

Don

Offfhand
October 1, 2012, 02:58 PM
The Redding body die is very useful, I now have one for most of the caliber I load for and wouldn't want to do without them. They are available for most calibers now and can be bought separately.

Certaindeaf
October 1, 2012, 03:29 PM
Is that like a spray-on tan? yea, I know.. pretty lame lolz

kelbro
October 1, 2012, 03:55 PM
Redding body die + Lee collet die = nice straight ammo!

ranger335v
October 1, 2012, 06:48 PM
With a drill press and cheap 'concrete' carbide drill bits properly ground to the correct diameter we can make any FL die into a body die. It's obviously not something for everyone but most people who have the tools and do a bit of home shop work can get it done quite easily; I'm no machinest but I've made a dozen or more body dies for various cartridges that way.

As mentioned above, a Lee Collet Neck die and a body die will make very straight cases. And it's a lot less costly and a lot less fussy than using bushing dies. (No seater can make straight ammo with bent necked cases!)

snakeman
October 1, 2012, 07:00 PM
what's the point?

Drue
October 1, 2012, 07:51 PM
Many reloaders neck size their bottleneck cases. It helps with accuracy and case life. After a number of neck sizings, it sometimes becomes hard to close the bolt because the case has expanded too much. This can be corrected by full length resizing but this also resizes the neck and then there is the pulling of the expander ball back through the neck. The case is no longer "fitted to the chamber." The "body die" or the " bump die" can be used to slightly push back the shoulder without affecting the neck.

Drue

ranger335v
October 1, 2012, 10:47 PM
"what's the point? "

Straight necks with what's essentually FL sized cases.

quartermaster
October 1, 2012, 10:52 PM
You can remove the guts from the Redding Type s FL die and use it as a body die. No other work required. 2 dies in one!

QM

Tinaphps
October 1, 2012, 11:05 PM
With a drill press and cheap 'concrete' carbide drill bits properly ground to the correct diameter we can make any FL die into a body die.
http://www.couponsavings.info/rec/smile.jpg
http://www.couponsavings.info/for/smile.jpg

fguffey
October 2, 2012, 01:01 AM
Pulling the sizer plug through the neck pulls the neck? Full length sizing a case reduces the diameter of the neck, when the neck is sized down the neck gets longer. When the neck is sized up as when the sizer plug is pulled through the neck when the ram is lowered the neck gets shorter, now someone is telling me the neck/case gets longer when the sizer plug is pulled through the neck, if that happens it is caused by ‘BAD HABITS’.

Then there is the body die, for the 270 Winchester there is the 30/06 full length sizer die, for the 30/06 there is the body die 8mm06 full length sizer die that doubles as a 30/06 body die. then there is the 25/06 etc..

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/418978/redding-body-die-30-06-springfield

If a reloader is not going to use the neck sizer portion of the full length aizer die cut it off at the shoulder/neck juncture of the die, then finish the top of the die.

I am the fan of the versatile die, all of my full length sizer dies are versatile full length sizer dies. I have other dies, other dies are nice but not necessary.

F. Guffey

ranger335v
October 2, 2012, 07:49 PM
"If a reloader is not going to use the neck sizer portion of the full length aizer die cut it off..."

A die neck can be drilled out with cheap carbide bits from Walmart and a drill press; a lot of people have access to a drill press. Cutting off a case hardened die requires a metal lathe and carbide cutter; not many people have access to a lathe so your 'suggestion' has little application.

I think we're all 'fans' of dies. ??

Walkalong
October 2, 2012, 08:12 PM
You can remove the guts from the Redding Type s FL die and use it as a body die. No other work required. 2 dies in one!But why bother. Set it to barely bump the shoulder (.001 or less) and call it good. You'll never need to use a body die, assuming you set it up properly.

I haven't used my Neco concentricity gauge (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=96450&d=1240061816) for quite some time, but on a whim I got out it the other day. I measured the run out out on some .300 Blackout cases that I full length sized with a standard Hornady sizer. It ran about .004 to .005 depending on the case. After loading they still measured the same.

Moral of the story? If your brass isn't straight, the loaded round cannot be straight.

fguffey
October 3, 2012, 10:53 AM
Again, there is the 308 W full length sizer die, if a reloaders wanted to ‘body size’ a 7mm08 use the 308 W full length sizer die, or pay $30.00 shipping/handling and the cost of a body die.

”'suggestion' has little application”

I would not walk across the street to watch an ant eat a bail of hay, my enthusiasm for ‘bumping body dies’ is right there with watching an ant eat a bail of hay. You assume the lathe is the tool, I do not set the standards, high or low, for those reading this thread, my opinion a lathe would be a bad choice, but if you insist, get after it.

F. Guffey

Then there are those that claim removing the bushing in the high end? dies allow for converting the die to a bumping body die, and they fail to tell anyone the practice causes a ‘donut? on the outside of the neck/shoulder juncture, and I say donuts are caused by bad habits. Again, I do not share the same enthusiasm for the ‘body die’ but if I did I would not have to wait for the order to be delivered.

If you enjoyed reading about "Silly question about rifle "body dies"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!