Ruger is out o' control.'specialy with thier ROA's.

PDA

Jim, West PA
October 1, 2012, 02:47 PM
Some o' you guys warned me.

Remember that nickle 5.5" i bot a couple 3 sundays ago ?
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171893&d=1347897906

Well, if you recall, it came with an R&D .45LC but no factory C&B cylinder.
I called Ruger the next day,(monday), to see if i could purchase a cylinder.
They quoted me a price on the cylinder and told me it would be a 2 week turn around.I was also 'warned' that it would go thru a "safety check".
No problem,it had a bit of a trigger issue.

I've been waiting anxiously for Ruger to call me with thier findings.
About 30 minutes ago Buster Brown knocked on my door and requested my signature for a package from NH.
It was an obvious handgun box but i had gotten no phone call.
:confused:

To my delight, this is what i found inside.:D

They did a lot more than install a C&B cylinder.

What did they charge me ?
I'll just say that Ruger can rely on me continualy bein a faithful customer.
;)

Oh yeah, and "two weeks" allmost to the hour.
AMAZING customer service.
These are the types of instances that warrant a pen to paper letter of acknowledgement.It reenforces this type of American quality business and customer service.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger is out o' control.'specialy with thier ROA's." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
zimmerstutzen
October 1, 2012, 02:57 PM
Jim, mebbe the doc has to back off a bit on yer meds.

you got a bad bad case of it.

Majes
October 1, 2012, 03:01 PM
Whoa Jim, it was pretty before but man, looks like those folks over at Ruger are as proud of the thing as you are.

Arkansas Paul
October 1, 2012, 03:09 PM
I'm not surprised. Ruger is freakin awesome.

Patocazador
October 1, 2012, 04:41 PM
Ruger sent me a new front sight blade free of charge. Only trouble is it's for a completely different gun and not even similar to the ROA sight.

CraigC
October 1, 2012, 04:44 PM
Can't beat that with a stick! :D

Jim, West PA
October 1, 2012, 05:02 PM
Jim, mebbe the doc has to back off a bit on yer meds.

you got a bad bad case of it.

Ya think zimm ? :D
The money i saved on this Ruger escapade will be put to good use this friday on a T/C .45 stone sparked Hawken.:p

Jim, West PA
October 1, 2012, 05:04 PM
Whoa Jim, it was pretty before but man, looks like those folks over at Ruger are as proud of the thing as you are.

Thanx Majes. I think you could be right.
No doubt they think highly of thier customers.;)

Jim, West PA
October 1, 2012, 05:05 PM
Got that right Paul.

Jim, West PA
October 1, 2012, 05:07 PM
Ruger sent me a new front sight blade free of charge. Only trouble is it's for a completely different gun and not even similar to the ROA sight.
I'm sure a phone call would git a humble apollogy and yer correct sight right to ya Patocazador.

Jim, West PA
October 1, 2012, 05:08 PM
Can't beat that with a stick!
Got that right Craig.

Old Fuff
October 1, 2012, 07:15 PM
That's Ruger's solution to "a bit of a trigger issue." Some like it and some don't but the revolver will come back as "stock standard," or be returned with no work done.

Jim, West PA
October 1, 2012, 09:47 PM
Until i learn, understand the function,and know what i'm doin in there. "stock standard" works fer me Fuff.

J-Bar
October 1, 2012, 09:51 PM
Mine's bigger than yours.

It has a 7.5 inch barrel....

351 WINCHESTER
October 1, 2012, 09:58 PM
Jim, Glad to see a happy customer. This was Bill Ruger's favorite gun. I guess the "legend" still lives on.

Jim, West PA
October 1, 2012, 10:10 PM
Mine's bigger than yours.

It has a 7.5 inch barrel.... http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171688&d=1347675956

Jim, West PA
October 1, 2012, 10:11 PM
Jim, Glad to see a happy customer. This was Bill Ruger's favorite gun. I guess the "legend" still lives on.

Mmm..maybe i got an older 'smith there and he was feelin a bit nostalgic Ken.;)

loose noose
October 1, 2012, 10:28 PM
Dang Jim, That there gun is just too pretty to be shot, tell ya what I'll do I'll gladly take it off your hands, and put a few rounds thru it, get er all nice and dirty and give it back to ya. That way ya won't mind shooting er as much. So what do ya think? I might just put a ding or two into the shiny finish, and a scratch or two into those grips. Come on what do ya think?:D

Jim, West PA
October 1, 2012, 10:40 PM
Now ya really had me conciderin lettin 'er breath some warm Nevada air and puttin some of 'er soot onto the desert sand noose 'til ya said.....
and a scratch or two into those grips.

:mad:

Hahahah.
I have often thot o' loadin up my scoot and takin a ride that way jist to do some metal detectin in the desert out there.
Mmmm....metal detectors in the T-bag and ROA's in the saddle bags.:cool:

splattergun
October 1, 2012, 10:56 PM
Jim, it's this sort of customer service that tipped the balance into making me put the $ down for a Ruger American in .243 for my younger daughter today. I've owned a Ruger P89 for 15 years and have never had any issue with it. But I have no doubt that should I ever have the least trouble with either gun, Ruger will take care of it.

I like the company.

Dan Carey
October 2, 2012, 12:15 AM
I hope you sent them a nice "thank you" letter.

Old Fuff
October 2, 2012, 12:25 AM
Until i learn, understand the function,and know what i'm doin in there. "stock standard" works fer me Fuff.

That’s a good position to take, but we have seen some… well… warm threads when someone sent in what they thought was a finely tuned action, and got back what amounted to a stock gun. I can see both sides of the story, but the important thing is to bring the subject up before anything gets shipped anywhere. Generally Ruger’s service department bends over backwards in an effort to please, but at the same time they are obligated to follow the rules.

Jim, West PA
October 2, 2012, 08:59 AM
Jim, it's this sort of customer service that tipped the balance into making me put the $ down for a Ruger American in .243 for my younger daughter today. I've owned a Ruger P89 for 15 years and have never had any issue with it. But I have no doubt that should I ever have the least trouble with either gun, Ruger will take care of it.

I like the company.

I couldn't agree with you more SG.

On a side note.This whole situation brings to mind how dissapointed i am in Thompson Center.
They used to give this over and above customer service 'till s&w took over.It's not the folks that work there per se'.I've been told by employees there how much they hate workin under s&w.

Jim, West PA
October 2, 2012, 09:10 AM
That’s a good position to take, but we have seen some… well… warm threads when someone sent in what they thought was a finely tuned action, and got back what amounted to a stock gun. I can see both sides of the story, but the important thing is to bring the subject up before anything gets shipped anywhere. Generally Ruger’s service department bends over backwards in an effort to please, but at the same time they are obligated to follow the rules.

I'm sure these folks are bein 'run' by lawyers Fuff.
In my instance. My action was far from "finely tuned".It was ,in a word, hacked. Although the trigger was nice, you could drop the hammer from half cock with enough pressure on the trigger.
As for guns that are correctly tuned.Looks like it's comin to the only way around the techs is to have an untuned hammer and trigger to swap out before shippin said gun off to Ruger.

Jim, West PA
October 2, 2012, 09:12 AM
I hope you sent them a nice "thank you" letter.

As i said in my OP Dan. I will indeed put pen to paper.

rodwha
October 2, 2012, 09:26 AM
Glad to hear they took very good care of you. I was beginning to wonder how that turned out.

Jim, West PA
October 2, 2012, 09:29 AM
I'm pretty humbled by the whole thing Bob.

Patocazador
October 2, 2012, 04:02 PM
I'm sure a phone call would git a humble apollogy and yer correct sight right to ya Patocazador.
No. A phone call was how I got this one. It seems they don't even show the sight blade I need in their parts inventory any more. They suggested contacting Brownell's but said that this sight might work.
Brownell's has been waiting on an order of them from Ruger that was due in August. They said I'd be lucky to get one within a year.

Dave Markowitz
October 3, 2012, 02:54 PM
Jim, FYI, your revolver is stainless steel, not nickeled. AFAIK Ruger never made a nickeled Old Army.

Nice revolver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

Jim, West PA
October 3, 2012, 04:26 PM
Dave, the finish on this 5.5" is much shinier than my stainless guns. Does that mean that the 5.5" is polished stainless ?

Jaymo
October 3, 2012, 05:46 PM
Yes. It's polished stainless steel. Purty, too.
It's a pimp C&B (J/K).
I bet it would look good with black pearl grips.

tom e gun
October 3, 2012, 05:47 PM
Whatever it is, it's pretty sweet lookin'!

ford8nr
October 3, 2012, 05:55 PM
I sent a Super Blackhawk 3 screw .44 mag in years back for the transfer bar mod. I stuck the original grips back on that were chipped and didn't re-install the rear sight after removing the scope. It came back with the mod completed, new grips and a new rear sight assembly, all at NO CHARGE. They got me as a loyal customer. For what it costs in advertising to gain a 'new' customer I can't figure out why some companies are so quick to throw away 'old' customers.
There is a "Letter to the CEO" link on their web sight and they say he reads them all. My son sent a picture of two tables he made. One is lazer engraved with the Ruger Phoenix and the word RUGER On the cross braces the other is a poured epoxy top table with the phoenix made out of 9mm casings. He recieved a letter congratulating him on fine looking tables and a week later he recieved a box with a Ruger hat and a set of Ruger Coasters for the tables. He was shocked!!

Jim, West PA
October 3, 2012, 06:34 PM
Yes. It's polished stainless steel. Purty, too.
It's a pimp C&B (J/K).
I bet it would look good with black pearl grips.

Thanx Jaymo.
Black pearl grips.Mmm......
That gives me an idea.
Black and white marbled pearl grips.

Yarddog
October 3, 2012, 06:48 PM
Thanx Jaymo.
Black pearl grips.Mmm......
That gives me an idea.
Black and white marbled pearl grips.
That's a Swet looking gun Jim, Black & white swearl pearl NICE ; )
Y/D

Jim, West PA
October 3, 2012, 07:15 PM
Whatever it is, it's pretty sweet lookin'!

Know what Tom ?
I agree :D

Jim, West PA
October 3, 2012, 07:18 PM
I sent a Super Blackhawk 3 screw .44 mag in years back for the transfer bar mod. I stuck the original grips back on that were chipped and didn't re-install the rear sight after removing the scope. It came back with the mod completed, new grips and a new rear sight assembly, all at NO CHARGE. They got me as a loyal customer. For what it costs in advertising to gain a 'new' customer I can't figure out why some companies are so quick to throw away 'old' customers.
There is a "Letter to the CEO" link on their web sight and they say he reads them all. My son sent a picture of two tables he made. One is lazer engraved with the Ruger Phoenix and the word RUGER On the cross braces the other is a poured epoxy top table with the phoenix made out of 9mm casings. He recieved a letter congratulating him on fine looking tables and a week later he recieved a box with a Ruger hat and a set of Ruger Coasters for the tables. He was shocked!!

None o' that suprises me at all ford8nr.
And thanx for the heads up on the
"Letter to the CEO"
I will definately git one off to 'im.

robhof
October 3, 2012, 08:22 PM
A while back I called Ruger about some parts for a ROA and was told that they were doing away with all their inventory and suggested Brownell's or Midway as they had purchased some of their excess stock, glad your results were better. I've had many friends with Rugers that got excellent service from them. One of my son's friends bought a P85 for $50 and found out it was recalled, sent it in and it came back with about 90% of it's parts replaced and reblued, also new grips, needless to say he's a die hard Ruger fan for life.

Alaska444
October 3, 2012, 08:54 PM
+1, Ruger rocks.

Pancho
October 3, 2012, 11:37 PM
I just had a similar incident with a mini14. They screwed up at first but came back and sent it all to me at no charge.
Jim, you mentioned that the gun in question is nickel. I didn't know that Ruger made nickel ROA's and your's sure looks like SS.

Jim, West PA
October 4, 2012, 05:59 AM
As Dave and Jaymo pointed out Pancho, it is indeed polished stainless.
In the past 'shiney' guns had no appeal to me and i spose i assumed that if they were shiney they were nickle. Jist ignorance on my part.
This, ROA is only my 3rd 'shiney' gun that i've owned and they've all been within the past two years. A Taurus Goucho bein the first.Got rid o' that in a hurry.
I then bot a Vaquero in .45LC and now this ROA.
Love 'em both.
Mmmm...wonder how much work it would be to 'shiney' up my stainless SP-101 ?

Jim, West PA
October 4, 2012, 06:09 AM
A while back I called Ruger about some parts for a ROA and was told that they were doing away with all their inventory and suggested Brownell's or Midway as they had purchased some of their excess stock, glad your results were better. I've had many friends with Rugers that got excellent service from them. One of my son's friends bought a P85 for $50 and found out it was recalled, sent it in and it came back with about 90% of it's parts replaced and reblued, also new grips, needless to say he's a die hard Ruger fan for life.

Wasn't long ago robhof that i called Ruger to see if i could purchase a spare cylinder for an ROA and they told me that IF they had 'em in stock that they would only sell them to customers that had ROA's with no cylinder. They wouldn't sell extras.
So when i actualy did buy this ROA and it had no factory cylinder i called fully expectin to be told..." sorry, no parts".
I even told the gal in my initial phone call that i was goin " way out on a limb with my question". She said.." oh no, we got 'em and they cost ...and turn around is 2 weeks". I was suprised.
I had forgotten to ask her about payin for the cylinder and had to call back.
The next person said...." well, i doubt we have any of those ".
I thot,well that makes sense and the gal just made a mistake. I then fully expected to get a call from thier techs in a few days sayin.." sorry, we no longer stock that part".
Next thing i know.
2 weeks later, allmost to the hour i left the PO.
Buster Brown knocks on my door with a Ruger box in his hand. :what: :D

robhof
October 4, 2012, 05:21 PM
Jim, I guess it depends on who you talk to there and the work they are willing to do th verify something before giving an answer. I had that problem with a Dan Wesson, 1st person I talked to said they don't work on older models, called back and Bob Serva answered the phone(chief smith and CEO before CZ) and said send it in and he'd give it a look, came back good as new.

dprice3844444
October 4, 2012, 11:26 PM
ruger and glock have great customer service like that

Jim, West PA
October 4, 2012, 11:35 PM
Jim, I guess it depends on who you talk to there and the work they are willing to do th verify something before giving an answer. I had that problem with a Dan Wesson, 1st person I talked to said they don't work on older models, called back and Bob Serva answered the phone(chief smith and CEO before CZ) and said send it in and he'd give it a look, came back good as new.

That is so true. Some folks want only the paycheck.:(

Jim, West PA
October 4, 2012, 11:36 PM
ruger and glock have great customer service like that

I can certainly speak for Ruger.

And... i agree with ya..claymores are cool.:cool:

AJumbo
October 6, 2012, 02:35 PM
Ruger has great CS, for sure. That being said, if you ship any firearm to them with aftermarket parts, what you will get back is a Ruger-stock firearm. Ask the guys who slap a bunch of mods on their Mini-14s and then encounter a legit issue; they get their '14s back with the poblem fixed, but they lose their nifty flash hiders, trigger groups, gas blocks.... so I sure wouldn't send my OA back to them with an one of those nifty extra-volume cylinders in it.

Crawdad1
October 7, 2012, 12:39 AM
Ruger is the absolute best company anywhere!!!
They'll bend over backwards for you and give you the shirt off their backs.

kBob
October 7, 2012, 09:27 AM
Claymores........

Wewere doing Macbeth in 12th grade english when the word came up. The teacher (ok Coach) asked if someone knew what a claymore was.

JROTC cadet in uniform lept to his feet and discribed the M18A1 Comand detonated Anti Personel Mine system.

After stareing at the JROTC (I was one ,too) the Coach reached on to the chaulk tray of his Black board and came forth with two meter sticks, one of which he threw at me while screaming "Lay on MacDuff! Lay on....." We hacked away for a bit demonstrating what he actually meant by "Claymore"

Just to keep it vaguely on C&B topic.....for those that do not know the Claymore mine fired a cloud of 700 steel ROUND BALL projectiles in a 60 degree arc in the direction the mine was pointed. The were awsome.......

-kBob

sixgunner455
October 7, 2012, 01:15 PM
Front towards enemy, kBob.

Lizard1911
October 7, 2012, 05:40 PM
Glad to hear about Ruger CS, andf that is one Purty Iron.
My only question is. Why did you white out the 08979 on the paper? ;)

Jim, West PA
October 7, 2012, 11:34 PM
Thanx Lizard.
Senior moment i s'pose :o

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger is out o' control.'specialy with thier ROA's." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!