Has fanboy behavior ever turned you off a gun or accessory?

PDA

wojownik
October 1, 2012, 03:00 PM
Leaving brand names out of it, has the fanboy phenomena ever had a reverse psychology effect on you?

For example, I've been considering an accessory, but the constant fanboy zealotry for that particular brand X, is actually turning me off. Same with guns - the more some folks are beating down a particular brand of rifle that I happen to own, the more I seem to want to cling to it.

I really don't want to get into specific brands - rather just interested in the social phenomena of fanboy-ism and how it impacts peoples' buying (or even "keeping") decisions, if at all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Has fanboy behavior ever turned you off a gun or accessory?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nathanael_Greene
October 1, 2012, 03:08 PM
Yes, I'm that kind of contrarian.

jimmyraythomason
October 1, 2012, 03:16 PM
ARs and Glocks have suffered due to the antics of fan boys. I dislike them for many reasons but one of the biggest is that you cannot post a thread about Ruger Minis or any other semi-auto rifle without AR fan boys hijacking it. Same with Glocks but not quite as bad. Sorry there is no way to address this without naming names.

BurntPizza
October 1, 2012, 03:21 PM
There are a few guns that I don't have an urge to buy because of the obsession some people have with them. Not to say there is no way I would purchase one but I currently have no urge to.

wojownik
October 1, 2012, 03:22 PM
LOL - jimmyray - your signature line seems to address part of the equation :p

David E
October 1, 2012, 03:25 PM
It's short sighted and immature to disregard a brand based on "Fanboy-ism"

It's good or it's not. It fits you or not.

While I may be baffled why some people have great fervor over this or that, I'm smart enough to reach my own conclusion.

I bet most other folks are, too.

jimmyraythomason
October 1, 2012, 03:33 PM
It's short sighted and immature to disregard a brand based on "Fanboy-ism"
Well at almost 60 years of age(next birthday April 13th) and over 40 years of shooting,collecting and even being a licensed dealer I think the immature and short sighted part has been ruled out. I got my first AR 20 years ago simply because I wanted one. Never did find out what the big deal was. Have no desire for a 1911 preferring d/a semi-auto handguns. I believe everyone should get what they like for whatever reason they like but I also believe fan boys should acknowledge that their choice isn't everyone's choice and that those who don't share their choice aren't some kind of immature,short sighted neophyte who just doesn't know any better ;).

Captcurt
October 1, 2012, 03:39 PM
You like blondes. He likes redheads. I like them all. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But it sure is hard to put up with a know-it-all. Fleetwood Mac said it best, "Go your own way."

HoosierQ
October 1, 2012, 03:45 PM
Hate the fanboy...not the product of which he is a fan!

Fanboys are very prominant around some very popular and more importantly capable firearms. I do not consider myself a fanboy of any such products. I have some of the obvious ones because of what those products are good at...fanboy haters can just deal with it.

I will refrain from names here. But I own two very popular fanboy firearms, and I shy away from two others...all 4 on the merits of the platform itself as I see things.

There are also some fanboy items that I have yet to avail myself to that I hope to someday but because of practical reasons, I have not yet done so.

Conversely, I have been in the camp of the fanboy on a platform or two and found myself disillusioned...and decamped.

There are still others that, for whatever reason, have never captivated my interest. I am sure I am missing out...but I won't miss them.

So no, the fanboys can do or say whatever they want, if I like what they tout, I will have one. If I don't, I won't.

David E
October 1, 2012, 03:45 PM
I agree that some fanboys think you're stupid if you don't acknowledge their item is the best ever, which always gives me a chuckle.

Once, someone posted "Glocks are the best!" I simply asked what brought him to that conclusion. I expected a list of reasons why he thought "Glocks rule," but his first response accused me of never having shot, never owned a gun, etc.

My point is, I won't let a fanboy or hater keep me from evaluating something myself, then making my own decision from there.

ny32182
October 1, 2012, 03:47 PM
If you:

-care what a "fanboy" (or anti fanboy) thinks
-and define "fanboy" as someone who making his assessment based on factors other than performance

...then you and the fanboy are basically one in the same; emotionally driven creatures.

Personally I only care about performance and my own tastes, and not what random people on the internet might think about it.

The Lone Haranguer
October 1, 2012, 03:52 PM
No. I buy what I want.

holdencm9
October 1, 2012, 03:54 PM
I think the issue with fanboyism has nothing to do with the equipment itself, it is just that people don't want to be associated with that group. Although it is certainly a tiny percentage of perfection owners that do it, they really soured me on the perfect brand. I highly doubt I would own a perfect gun anyway, regardless of the fan-base, because although I shoot them well (not perfect though) they are just too generic, common, and blocky, and I feel like they are the go-to gun for people that don't care to do much research. Which is fine. They are a very safe bet. My issue is when someone got told by a friend that it is perfect, don't bother looking at anything else, so they buy it, like it (although they have no other real basis for comparison) and then vehemently defend it against any and all attacks, and blatantly bring it up in threads where it isn't even mentioned or called for.

Of course not everyone is this way. If you tried dozens of guns and the perfect guns fit you better than the rest, more power to you! And I will never really bash the perfection brand, since I know they earned their rep, but if people are asking about which gun to get, I will just say, try one out, see if you like it, but there are several other options that are equally as perfect.

How's that for keeping brands out of it? :)

chhodge69
October 1, 2012, 03:59 PM
I tread more cautiously when there is a lot of hype around a certain item or class of items but ultimately I make my own decision.

I WILL avoid a product for the opposite phenomena: brand bashing. No matter how good your specimen of brand X is you'll have trouble selling it if everyone is hating on the manufacturer.

oneounceload
October 1, 2012, 04:02 PM
ARs and Glocks have suffered due to the antics of fan boys. I dislike them for many reasons but one of the biggest is that you cannot post a thread about Ruger Minis or any other semi-auto rifle without AR fan boys hijacking it. Same with Glocks but not quite as bad. Sorry there is no way to address this without naming names.

I agree, except for me it is Ruger - had enough bad experiences with a variety of their products -but go explaining that, and everyone wants you censored and silenced

Reloadron
October 1, 2012, 04:04 PM

No!

When I plan to buy a gun or accessory I do homework and read reviews. I try to make educated and well informed decisions.

Ron

twofifty
October 1, 2012, 04:05 PM
Despite the widely held beliefs of our consumption-driven society and its fanboys, none of us are what we buy. A few men understand that from the get-go, for others it takes longer.

Buck13
October 1, 2012, 04:09 PM
I've been turned off to Glocks by the attention they receive. Last time I was in a big used gun shop, I decided to ignore my prejudice and take a look at one. I picked it up and immediately put it down. The shape of the grip just felt weird to me.

Despite that, I'll probably shoot one soon. I want to try a 10mm, and the only Seattle metro range that rents a 10mm has only a Glock, AFAIK. I'll have to shoot the 9mm Glock as a baseline, I guess, also too.

allaroundhunter
October 1, 2012, 04:09 PM
Yep...

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/images/nyte-sytes.jpg

coolluke01
October 1, 2012, 04:15 PM
I feel anti fanboy "fanboys" are a bigger turn off. It makes it hard to listen to them when all they do is bash people for being fanboys. I like what I like. If I didn't like it I wouldn't own it!
I guess I'm now part of the anti "anti fanboy, fanboy" club.

Appreciation of something comes from use and experience. It may be subjective and unfounded, but it's what they like. Calling them a brainless fanboy is far more ignorant and stupid. You don't know how that person came to the conclusion they did. There are very few fixed truths in this world, and even fewer apply to the world of guns. With the exception of Glock > 1911. lol ;-)

silicosys4
October 1, 2012, 04:22 PM
Fanboys pollute the water. There is a difference between a "fan" and a "fanboy". Fans base their opinions based on experience. Fanboys base their opinions on marketing, heresay, and ego.
Fans are enthusiastic about owning a superior item
Fanboys are enthusiastic about being a superior item

I myself tend to avoid the fanboy camp like the plague. They are easy to discern, usually by a display of their general lack of knowledge, followed by an assertion of their expertise.

dogtown tom
October 1, 2012, 04:28 PM
The only fanboy opinions I discount are those who have little experience with OTHER brands or models. If all you've ever shot is a 1911 (or Glock, or SIG) it's a little silly for you to say "it's da bomb, OMG, nothing bettah....".

Heck, I detested Glocks for many reasons and while I had fired a few, never developed a taste for them.......until three years ago. Now I have a G26, two G19's and two 17L's.

Roadking Rider
October 1, 2012, 04:35 PM
I don't care if anyone is a fan of a certain brand,it's when they try to imply that every other brand is a POS compared to there favorite. This is when they loose all credibility with me. I'm not going to take the words of a nameless, faceless,narrow minded person on the net as written in stone. I never felt the need to trash another product to make me feel better about my purchase or what I like. Truth is there are some very nice Pistols Rifles and Shotguns out there to be had and enjoy. To fall in love with one brand, style, or caliber is foolish to me.

Certaindeaf
October 1, 2012, 04:36 PM
Sheep go baa! I learned that on my The Bee Says a long time ago. It's best to just let them alone.

holdencm9
October 1, 2012, 04:37 PM
It may be subjective and unfounded, but it's what they like. Calling them a brainless fanboy is far more ignorant and stupid.

Ha.

I would never call someone a brainless fanboy for advocating for their favorite gun on an internet site, but if it somehow becomes obvious that their favorite gun is also their ONLY gun, or the only one they've ever spent significant amount of trigger time with, I think it is totally reasonable to take their fanboy OPINION with a grain of salt.

If someone asks about DA/SA 9mm's to take a look at, let me ask you, which post is more useful?

"I like my Beretta 92FS, the DA is long and heavy but the SA is real nice. It is a big gun but for HD and range use, it is a soft shooter, quite accurate, and smooth, the slide feels like it rides on lubed ice. Some people don't like the safety/decock so that is something you have to learn and get comfortable with, but overall I think it is a great gun!"

-- OR --

"Glock. 'nuff said."

I think that is the type of behavior that turns people off.

TennJed
October 1, 2012, 04:49 PM
I can sorta turn this around a bit. I bought a gun by a company that gets bashed a lot. I bought it to "see for my self. This manufacturer sells a lot of guns, but gets a lot of hate. FWIW I have bought 2 guns with no problems

silicosys4
October 1, 2012, 04:51 PM
Turn the dial to your analog radio between stations sometime...hear that white noise? Thats the analog equivalent to the internet babblings of the fanboy. Just as irrelevant, just as prevalent, just as ignorable.

Hunterdad
October 1, 2012, 04:52 PM
If I like something, I will get it. With that said, I despise fanboys and come in contact with them all the time when I compete. Just this passed Saturday I had a guy tell me that my AR was a POS because it wasn't a MegaArms. He then told me my RIA Match 1911 is a POS because its not reliable as a glock. Kind of funny my gun ran perfect and his glock had a malfunction. Then his $2700 Benelli 3-gun shotgun malfunctioned and my $450 Stoeger 2000 ran perfectly. That was just icing on the cake.

He's an idiot and holds no credibility with me and many other people. Which sucks for him since he does have a manufacturers license and will never get 1 cent from me.

Certaindeaf
October 1, 2012, 04:55 PM
The newest thing is the best. Because it's new. right
perhaps waddle down the road now

Cee Zee
October 1, 2012, 05:10 PM
I've seen people become instant experts after asking complete newbie questions a week earlier. When people like that start telling me what I should buy first I laugh and I probably do try to stay away from the stuff they push because I don't want people thinking I'm one of those idiots that think their gun is the only gun that was ever made well.

As for the gun itself, I will evaluate their strengths and weaknesses as I see fit and if I see a genuine big advantage I will buy one of those guns anyway. But the fanboys are a factor. It's something I weigh in my decision. I guess I don't want to have some fanboy come up to me at the range and expect me to go along with the idea that one gun is the be all and end all of firearms. I don't want to go along with that for sure and I don't want to confront some fanboy either. So it is a factor in my decisions. It just isn't "the" factor.

I've seen people jump from group to group on other boards where the groups are setup to talk about specific guns and they will prop up their favorites no matter what in the other groups and every conversation has to be hijacked to talk about their gun and if you dare say a bad word about their favorite piece of hardware it's like a pack of wolves coming after you. I really, really dislike it when people act that way especially when they insult other people while doing it.

I've never seen a perfect firearm yet and I sure as heck know that most of the fanboy favorites have flaws. I won't mention any models or brands but we all know who they are. I'll just put it this way. When I hear a certain semi-auto .22 is the best rifle ever made I don't know whether to laugh or just shake my head. It's so silly it's beyond belief but I see it all the time. It's almost always some dumb kid saying that stuff though. I try to let it go and hope those people grow up. But then I see adults standing in line to get the latest game system or phone and I think it's no wonder we have a bunch of junk when it comes to a lot of things. People will buy it anyway so why do they have to build things right?

jmr40
October 1, 2012, 05:13 PM
I buy what works. Someimes the fanboys have a point, sometimes not.

Roadking Rider
October 1, 2012, 05:21 PM
Hunterdad
That reminds me of a time at the range when I had my RIA 1911 GI 45 and this dude (aka 1911 snob) walks in sits down in the next stall in with his 1911 that looked more like a 2011 piece of jewerly. I'll not mention the brand but I know it easily cost three times+ what my Rock costs. He kind of gives my Rock the evil eye/POS look.
After about 50 or so round down range I hear this :cuss: come from the dude/snob. It was at that time I decided to do a little rapid fire. With my POS rock.
It was one of the best times I've ever had at the range.

Buck Kramer
October 1, 2012, 05:23 PM
If someone asks about DA/SA 9mm's to take a look at, let me ask you, which post is more useful?

"I like my Beretta 92FS, the DA is long and heavy but the SA is real nice. It is a big gun but for HD and range use, it is a soft shooter, quite accurate, and smooth, the slide feels like it rides on lubed ice. Some people don't like the safety/decock so that is something you have to learn and get comfortable with, but overall I think it is a great gun!"

-- OR --

"Glock. 'nuff said."

I think that is the type of behavior that turns people off.

My thoughts exactly. It's the reason I do not own a Glock; however, if the person explained why they thought the Glock was better and admitted that the gun has flaws, I would take them a lot more seriously.

Hunterdad
October 1, 2012, 05:43 PM
I also have a good friend of mine that owns a Glock because that's the cool thing. He can't hit the broad side of a barn with it, but I'll see him post on other forums saying that glocks are better than anything else out there. It drives me bonkers. I've actually found myself distancing myself away from him because of it.

He also bought a Socom 2 not toovlong ago and it sits there because he can't afford to shoot it. But, he'll post about how awesome and reliable it is. He'll also recommend it over an AR. He kills me.

Nanook
October 1, 2012, 07:54 PM
I buy what I want, like another poster said. Fanboys don't bother me really, whether it's guns, cars, or whatever.

To each his own.

You can find the type in any hobby. Whatever they have is the best, whatever you have is substandard. Must be human nature.

ApacheCoTodd
October 1, 2012, 07:55 PM
In the case that most "fanboys" tend to elevate their favored; gun, car, motorcycle, whatever - as much be beating up competitors offerings as they do by singing the praises of their preferred choice, I have more often been steered towards the source of a fanboy's hatin' than steered away from their supported product.

So, in one way of looking at it, excessive and especially emotional support of a fanboy can from time to time guide me away if not so much as "turn me off" an item.

Fishslayer
October 1, 2012, 08:05 PM
I tend to shy away from anything that is super popular or faddish, roll my eyes at handguns with pretentious tacticool buzzwords emblazoned on them or possess the latest in useless tacticool features.

Fanbois are fun to mess with, though on another board I belong to there are some that are just so annoying I put them on ignore.

KTXdm9
October 1, 2012, 08:51 PM
Fanboys are annoying, but I wouldn't let it sway my decision one way or the other. The "nuff said" guys kill me.

76shuvlinoff
October 1, 2012, 08:52 PM
I shoot a Glock well enough but won't own one because I don't want to be "one of them", sooo I bought a Kimber then I found out I was a different kind of "one of them" because all the smart people that hate things hate Kimbers.

Crap.... now I am confused.

hso
October 1, 2012, 09:15 PM
Sure, but I can get over it if there's some reliable data behind a product.

mberoose
October 1, 2012, 09:18 PM
It's one of a few reasons why I don't own an AR-15.

Robert
October 1, 2012, 09:23 PM
I could care less what someone on the internet has to say. I take it all with a salt mine and do my own homework and research.

Why else would I own a jam 'o matic that will one day get me killed?

ares338
October 1, 2012, 09:39 PM
I don't have a problem with someone praising his brand to high heaven. What I don't care for is someone needlessly bashing something because it's the cool thing to do. I have seen it mostly with Glocks I guess because I only shoot pistols. I think Glocks are great...I just don't have one

tomrkba
October 1, 2012, 09:41 PM
No, they're just enthusiastic about the item. I try to look past the gushing praise and use that as my list of 'pros'. I'll try out the product and build my own list of 'cons'. Perhaps it's worthy of the praise, perhaps not.

Plan2Live
October 1, 2012, 09:59 PM
I despise the behavior and as a result refuse to be "one of them". This applies to firearms, motorcycles, tats and a few other categories not High Road material. Many times I will buy something simply becuase it isn't popular. And for those thinking I actually read your flame laden retorts when you PM me, think again....Delete, Perfectly Deleted.

jmr40
October 1, 2012, 10:13 PM
We are all fanboys, or snobs. It just dependson which gun we are talking about. Some won't admit to that and point to others. Some are reverse snobs, plenty examples of that in this thread.

The point of these forums is for people to ask questions and for others to share experiences. I have used others experiences to help me make decisions. I've found quite a few guns that get lots of praise on the internt have not lived up to my expectations, others have far exceeded my expectations.

I've decided that the internet is not a very accurate way to evaluate different guns. The guys who hangout in this and other forums are not typical gun owners and the opinions you see expressed here are not always typical of what you see in the real world.

After hanging around for a while I've learned to value the opinions of certain posters more than others. Some are quite opinionated and could be called fanboys, but being a fanboy does not make you wrong.

I certainly wouldn't choose an inferior gun just because I didn't want to be called a fanboy.

David E
October 1, 2012, 10:14 PM
It's one of a few reasons why I don't own an AR-15.

Because others really like them and say so?

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!

crazyjennyblack
October 1, 2012, 10:26 PM
Maybe yes, maybe no. I think maybe it's been that way for me and Glocks. Lots of people like them and some are even obsessed with them. The fanboy (or fangirl?) aspect makes me sick of hearing about them. However, it also didn't stop me from shooting and trying several. After that, I came to the conclusion that I probably won't buy one, as they just aren't really for me.

Did the fan aspect influence my judgement? Possibly, as I kinda went into the tryout experience with an initial barf factor. However, my ultimate judgement came from actual handling, not from being sick of hearing about them.

orionengnr
October 1, 2012, 10:33 PM
Yes.

My experiences (and requests for help) with a Dan Wesson 1911 nearly got me banned from the 1911 forum.

I am a confirmed 1911 guy, and have been since I shot my first one (Dad's WWII Colt 1911 back when I was ~8 years old...around 1964).

But those few individuals (ach-shouells) have made it a certainty that I do not and will not return, nor will I refer anyone else there.

303tom
October 1, 2012, 11:47 PM
What the hell is FANBOY ????????????:confused::confused::confused:

creeper1956
October 1, 2012, 11:56 PM
What the hell is FANBOY ????????????:confused:See Fanboy (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboy) in the Urban Dictionary.

They have the best definition ever... 'nuff said. :rolleyes:

C

Teachu2
October 2, 2012, 12:04 AM
Yep - pushed both ARs and Glocks WAY DOWN on my list. Too bad, as I've really taken a liking to Glocks of late, and I bought a couple AR-based weapons in the last year. I have managed to avoid hanging accessories on them - but I did load uo a Hi Point .45 carbine, just to give 'em heartburn....

Shadow 7D
October 2, 2012, 12:12 AM
1911's, glocks, AK's, AR's

Don357
October 2, 2012, 12:54 AM
Absolutely! Not because the items are bad, but generally the people associated with these items and their attitude is what turns me off. This is true not only with guns, but with guitars, and for God's sake, athletic shoes, and car rims.

johnnydollar
October 2, 2012, 12:56 AM
Well at almost 60 years of age(next birthday April 13th) and over 40 years of shooting,collecting and even being a licensed dealer I think the immature and short sighted part has been ruled out. I got my first AR 20 years ago simply because I wanted one. Never did find out what the big deal was. Have no desire for a 1911 preferring d/a semi-auto handguns. I believe everyone should get what they like for whatever reason they like but I also believe fan boys should acknowledge that their choice isn't everyone's choice and that those who don't share their choice aren't some kind of immature,short sighted neophyte who just doesn't know any better ;).
Well said!

johnnydollar
October 2, 2012, 12:58 AM
Well said, sir!

justice06rr
October 2, 2012, 02:34 AM
Its usually the fanboy/s that have turned me off, not the product itself. Which is one reason why I don't watch any vids by a vblogger that rhymes with "fancy" :rolleyes:

Whether a product is made in Austria, Brazil, or USA, there are good and bad manufacturers out there. I don't discriminate based on hearsay or where their from. Only after my own personal experience do I lay judgement on a certain product.

October 2, 2012, 03:40 AM
No. I buy stuff based on their merit, and how they fit my situation(s), whatever that may be. Don't care about fanboys. Give you a couple of examples. Magpul makes many good stuff. But, the BAD lever and the AFG are just ridiculous, to me.

Shadow 7D
October 2, 2012, 04:23 AM
I actually like AR's, it's just the fanboys and the associated 'stuff' that encourage me to find other things to spend my money on.

303tom
October 2, 2012, 08:44 AM
See Fanboy (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboy) in the Urban Dictionary.

They have the best definition ever... 'nuff said. :rolleyes:

C
O, well I guess not, beings I never heard of it, I don`t follow the norm or care what the norm does, or pay any attention to all the hoopla..........So to answer the OP`s question, NO !

HKGuns
October 2, 2012, 09:34 AM
I have not and will never own a gLoCk for precisely that reason. Idiot buys his first gun (gLoCk) and suddenly he is an expert and no other pistol compares to his wonderful treasure and he can't stay off every forum known to man shouting his pleasure and denigrating everything that wasn't spawned from the loins of Gaston.

The idiots on ar15.com are pretty bad too, but I like the platform and own one of those, despite the bad behavior over there. A little moderation over there would go a very long way toward cleaning thugs up, but in some cases the mods are part of the problem I think.

mberoose
October 2, 2012, 09:46 AM
Because others really like them and say so?

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!

One of a few reasons I said. Lowest reason on the list, in fact, but a reason nonetheless.

Sorry your panties got bunched, bud. But what's funny to me is that if I mentioned any other gun, you probably wouldn't have said a word. Thanks for reinforcing one of the reasons behind my decision.

bannockburn
October 2, 2012, 09:54 AM
I really couldn't care less what someone has to say good or bad about any particular firearm or accessory. I buy what I like and enjoy what I have.

SlamFire1
October 2, 2012, 10:00 AM
Leaving brand names out of it, has the fanboy phenomena ever had a reverse psychology effect on you?

All designs have their pluses and minuses, and for every toy there is a fan boy.
I am old enough that I have pretty fixed ideas of what operating systems and calibers I like. I earned this education through shooting, the older I get the less I am swayed by the herd instinct or group think.

7thCavScout
October 2, 2012, 10:20 AM
I guess I'm now part of the anti "anti fanboy, fanboy" club.

That makes two of us.

Sheepdog1968
October 2, 2012, 10:41 AM
Not just guns, but in general yes this has happened on many occassions. On other occassions I was on the cutting edge of a trend (but didn't know it at the time). Also, as I get older, I tend to find less new things interesting. I like to think it's because I really like what I have and don't need the marketing folks to try and make me feel like I need the latest me too product.

Kyle M.
October 2, 2012, 10:43 AM
I agree, except for me it is Ruger - had enough bad experiences with a variety of their products -but go explaining that, and everyone wants you censored and silenced

Thats because if you've ever had a problem with a ruger it was obviously operator error.

shaggy430
October 2, 2012, 11:32 AM
I am so tired of hearing about Mosin Nagants that it is not even funny. I wouldn't take one if someone gave it to me for free.

David E
October 2, 2012, 11:59 AM
But what's funny to me is that if I mentioned any other gun, you probably wouldn't have said a word. Thanks for reinforcing one of the reasons behind my decision.

You don't get it. Brand name is totally irrelevant.

I'm astounded so many people are saying that fanboy-ism keeps them away from ANY brand. They are more concerned about what others think than what the true merits of a given gun/item are.

It's funny but sad at the same time.

mavracer
October 2, 2012, 12:31 PM
No, I decide what I like or dislike. However rabid fanboys do tend to push my dislike further.

mdauben
October 2, 2012, 12:36 PM

No.

Why should I let a product's populatity, or lack of, influence my decision? :confused:

I am so tired of hearing about Mosin Nagants that it is not even funny. I wouldn't take one if someone gave it to me for free.
I would. Then I would turn around and sell the stupid thing to help pay for something I actually wanted. :neener:

Mike J
October 2, 2012, 12:51 PM
Way back in post #25 holdencm9 gave a pretty good description about what annoys me about fanboys. I have also seen times on a brand specific forum that I frequent that one member would doubt anyone that said they had a problem & act as if they were lying. Why anyone would lie about having a problem with a pistol is beyond me. I guess some people just really feel like their choices should be immune from any and all criticism. Fan boy comments do not effect how I spend my money one way or the other because I tend to ignore them & try to find the real data I am looking for. I have to keep the filter turned on.

If I see a lot of posts about problems with a particular brand or model I do pay attention however.

Red Tornado
October 2, 2012, 03:05 PM

Shaggy, always take free guns! Always! :D (Well, unless they're hot.)
RT

bikerdoc
October 2, 2012, 03:12 PM
I am old enough that I have pretty fixed ideas of what operating systems and calibers I like. I earned this education through shooting, the older I get the less I am swayed by the herd instinct or group think.

This!
What I like and what works for me, is all that counts.

Skribs
October 2, 2012, 03:18 PM
Personally, I buy what I think is going to be a quality product. It doesn't matter if everyone bashes it or if everyone thinks it's the greatest thing since hot dog toasters (which, as a bachelor, I can tell you its not)...if I like the product, I'll get it.

Sheepdog1968
October 2, 2012, 03:43 PM
There's a good book I've mentioend before on this forum called "Paradox of Choice" that sort of touches on this topic. It tends to explain some of our behaviour on choosing things.

HoosierQ
October 2, 2012, 05:14 PM
I am surprised how many people have allowed fanboys to turn them away from good products. I would not have expected that. I wonder if that correlates to age.

I must confess to some of the opposite sentiment. Had this thread been labeled the opposite "Have haters ever turned you off..." I would sadly have to admit that yes I have been turned off of a couple of brands by haters...kind of pathetic. I will say in my own feeble defense, the haters of which I speak seem to hate the product and not the company per se. I have not allowed any gun company haters to turn me off and I own stuff by what is probably the most "hated" company out there...and would buy more.

couldbeanyone
October 2, 2012, 06:52 PM
No. The guns I like and dislike is based on my personal experience with them. The fact that my daily carry gun is a 3" barreled S&W 317 in 22lr should give you some idea of how much I care about popular opinion. (Everyone can save themselves the trouble of telling me how I am committing suicide by carrying it. My reasons are my reasons and your not going to tell me anything I haven't already heard.)

That being said, if the 317 Smith became the CC choice of fanboys worldwide tomorrow, that wouldn't change the fact that I would still be carrying one. I will grant you that the fanboy type is mighty irritating though.

Skribs
October 2, 2012, 06:56 PM
I must confess to some of the opposite sentiment. Had this thread been labeled the opposite "Have haters ever turned you off..." I would sadly have to admit that yes I have been turned off of a couple of brands by haters...kind of pathetic. I will say in my own feeble defense, the haters of which I speak seem to hate the product and not the company per se. I have not allowed any gun company haters to turn me off and I own stuff by what is probably the most "hated" company out there...and would buy more.

Personally, for me, I see both sides fairly well, and can usually tell when one side is stretching the truth (usually unintentionally, they're convinced they're right) and the other side is generally being logical. In most circumstances, both the haters and fanbois are on the stretching side...

Old Dog
October 2, 2012, 08:18 PM
If it weren't for the fanboys, some internet forums would cease to exist. No names mentioned ... but one may or may be an AR-specific forum ...

Fanboys crack me up, mostly. Especially the Glock fanboys, who usually quickly display their overall lack of knowledge about firearms, and can't even seem to articulate why their chosen platform is The Best. That said, I have friends who are knowledgeable, experienced shooters who've used Glocks for serious situations in bad places, and I respect them for how and why they have chosen Glocks -- but they'll be the first to tell any new shooter to try out several different platforms before settling on one above another...

I am a huge Colt's/S&W/SIG/Beretta fanboy (pistols/revolvers/ARs/shotguns), but ... I own several Taurus products (all completely reliable and worthy handguns in their own right). I've even recommended Taurus to others who couldn't afford more expensive handguns. While I detest the idiots who mindlessly repeat the "mine is best" mantra without documenting why, I respect those who make informed choices and can intelligently explain why a certain gun is their favorite ("Because it looks cool, homes" is not generally acceptable, though).

I could care less what people on the internet say (although I might argue with someone simply for the sport) and it's never stopped me from buying a product (except for the BAD lever or AFG, which are, in fact, useless) ...

threefortyduster
October 2, 2012, 08:29 PM
I own Chryslers...that should answer the original question. I like different stuff.

I do, generally, have an aversion to anything with a cult following. I've never seen star wars, trek, matrix, any of that crap. If it has the whole world in a tizzy, I generally ignore it, because I don't respect the opinions of most of the world.

So yes, I have avoided in the past and will continue to avoid lots of stuff with fanboyism.

fatcat4620
October 2, 2012, 08:36 PM
No, but it sure ruins a lott of threads.

captain awesome
October 3, 2012, 01:01 AM

YES.
AR's
glocks
any time anything uses the word "tactical"
they are just so trendy, I couldn't bare to own one, Despite them being decent fire arms that do their job well. It drives me t look else where, and WOW! there really are other decent and accurate firearm's that can do the same thing!

Ignition Override
October 3, 2012, 01:15 AM
No, but for somebody in a warm climate who is considering a CCW, a Makarov-caliber or .380 seems much easier to conceal than a Glock etc.

Some gun owners seem to feel the need to show a bit of contempt or ridicule for others' personal choices, hoping to buttress the shaky foundations supporting their own decisions about guns. That's junior high mentality.

What other people prefer can be of interest and informative If presented in an objective manner, but life is too short to care one bit about whether others approve of my personal possessions.
It's just stuff. Our eyesight will get weaker and we'll be six feet under the mown grass and weedeaters, while our stuff gets sold or given away by many of our families.

TAKtical
October 3, 2012, 01:22 AM
I have most of the fanboy guns so I guess as long as it is a good weapon, I'll buy one. But I dont like sigs and the more fanboys I run into the less I like them. Ive shot them, I tried to like them, but they dont do anything that my other guns dont do better. The price doesnt help their case either.

FIVETWOSEVEN
October 3, 2012, 01:27 AM
We are all fanboys, or snobs. It just dependson which gun we are talking about. Some won't admit to that and point to others. Some are reverse snobs, plenty examples of that in this thread.

Fanboys say their product is best but can't explain it to the least. I can explain why I like my AK over ARs, 5.45 over 7.62, etc. That's not fanboyism, that's just being a fan. If I just said the AK is the best because the AR jams all the time, that's fanboyism.

Everyone is a snob in some way but not fanboys.

ApplePie
October 3, 2012, 01:46 AM
Whenever I am shopping for a product I don't know a lot about, I read as many reviews as possible, in an attempt to discover how good it is before actually buying it. You have to read a LOT of reviews however, because you need to filter out the ones that are subjective. Once I have bought a product, I decide on it's merits totally on my own. It does not matter to me one bit what other people think.

When I was younger, the opinion of my peers was important and influenced me. I think that shows a lack of confidence. Now, I am old enough and self-confident enough to not care what anyone else thinks of my choices. I absolutely do not care if someone else hates a product I love, or likes one I don't. I have no desire to change their mind. I will simply state my experiences with a product as objectively as I can, in case it will help someone; perhaps even a lurker.

I do have to admit that getting to this point took me a long time!

wojownik
October 3, 2012, 11:24 AM
Fanboys say their product is best but can't explain it to the least. I can explain why I like my AK over ARs, 5.45 over 7.62, etc. That's not fanboyism, that's just being a fan. If I just said the AK is the best because the AR jams all the time, that's fanboyism.

The other fanboy phenomenon is where fanboys can back up their product's merits (sometimes with databases of statistics), but do tend to go waaay overboard in trashing any and all alternatives.

And you've made an important distinction - being a fan is one thing, being a fanboy is another.

No, but it sure ruins a lott of threads.

This.

Steve CT
October 3, 2012, 02:45 PM
Since the OP asked to leave specific brands unmentioned, I will. There is a handgun brand that seems to breed "fanboyism". I've shot them and don't care for them, BUT if I liked them, I'd own them. The behavior of others does not influence what I shoot, rational and cogent opinion will.

Comments on the AR, which is not a brand, seem to focus on a particular Forum. Again, the behavior of the people on a Forum influence me ONLY in regard to the Forum, not in regard to the subject matter.

I will admit that Fanboy behavior is distasteful to me and I readily ignore and avoid it.

theautobahn
October 3, 2012, 03:01 PM
I will begrudgingly admit that Fanboyism does influence other things in my life - for example, I'm sure that "Lost" was a great show, but I couldn't bear to watch it after listening to all the drones go on and on about it, but I don't believe Fanboyism has ever influenced a firearms purchase, either negatively or positively.

savanahsdad
October 3, 2012, 03:31 PM
fanboys do more harm to there cause than good , not just with gun stuff eather , I've seen truckers get in a Peterbuilt and there a Supertrucker over night , or some 100lbs dirt ball get a Harley and he thinks he is Billy bad-ass, and that reayl hurts the brand names , the worst I have seen on here was a guy telling everyone that he had the best press and everyone else was buying junk , he even said you were a FOOL if you bought brand X , I felt bad for any one that had the same brand as him , I think I would have crawled under a rock befor I said I had the same reload press as him! and I too wondered how many others stayed away from that brand becaus they didn't want to be in that class with him

d2wing
October 3, 2012, 09:20 PM
Yes.

FIVETWOSEVEN
October 4, 2012, 12:37 AM
The other fanboy phenomenon is where fanboys can back up their product's merits (sometimes with databases of statistics), but do tend to go waaay overboard in trashing any and all alternatives.

Trashing other alternatives is still fanboyism as I stated before as there is no 100% answer in the gun world. Trashing them shows that you don't know the merits or the benefits of the other choice.

coolluke01
October 4, 2012, 01:19 PM
To be fair, "trashing" may be simply pointing out the defects or areas one doesn't like about a particular gun. This would be perceived by a fanboy as trashing and would incite a "you stupid fanboys just trash others guns to make yours look good."

Splinter in the eye anyone?

TonyInFla
October 5, 2012, 03:49 PM
Nope, I buy what I like. Don't dislike the product, just the fanboy. I let them brag and then go ahead with what I want to buy.

wojownik
October 5, 2012, 08:25 PM
To be fair, "trashing" may be simply pointing out the defects or areas one doesn't like about a particular gun. This would be perceived by a fanboy as trashing and would incite a "you stupid fanboys just trash others guns to make yours look good."

I don't think I agree. A dispassionate but balanced discussion of product shortcomings is one thing. But there is some point where the presentation of info becomes unbalanced, and that's where "trashing" might come in. The problem with fanboyism is not the information - its the approach/delivery/attitude ...

We are all fans of firearms on this forums. That's why we're on the forum, of course. And being a fan is a good thing.

if someone was to point out the issues related to a particular AR brand that I own, or optic, I might actually agree with many of them, from first hand experience. And I might politely counter with the reasons I made my choices, but do acknowledge and respect the attributes of some other AR or optic. Indeed, it may be the case that the other products being advocated are indeed technically superior, but my choices may reflect something personal (or in the case of the optic, physical).

But if the other party keeps going, and going, and going ... well that crosses a line from a reasonable discussion to something else. IMHO, its this kind of behavior that diminishes the level and value of discourse that is something considerably less than High Road.

I can respect your choices, even if I don't necessarily agree with them. All I would hope for is that the other party returns the favor.

The phrase "splinter in the eye" was used (and I admit I had to look up that one...) ... so I'll also go biblical by saying "do unto others" ...

My 2cents. YMMV...

EddieNFL
October 6, 2012, 08:00 AM
Been watching this thread for a few days now. If someone is so easily swayed by the actions/words of others, can you imagine how easily they could be used to further someone's cause? I believe most members of PETA, ELF, occupiers, etc., are such types.

Don't get me started on subliminal suggestions.

EddieNFL
October 6, 2012, 08:03 AM
I felt bad for any one that had the same brand as him

Why?

floritucky
October 6, 2012, 10:38 AM
Theres more 1911 fans then glock fans i think. At least, theres no less. Yet i have moved from being an xd fan to a 1911 fan (still love the xd though)

Im not a glock fan. But its not do to the fans. And i have considered a glock for 9mm. Just not high in my list.

However i can do admit its annoyibg when people act like there the best gun on earth and all others are crap... but thats not most glock fans.... just enough.

For example. I recently read a tgrough on glock vs 1911 for carry. And someone stated that anyone that carried a 1911 was an idiot for doing so because it waa dangerous and a glock was much safer... that guy..... was a moron. Lol

Red Tornado
October 6, 2012, 11:08 AM
I don't let fanboys affect my gun purchases or opinions, but I'm affected by fanboy behavior on what forums I visit. As olddog said, some forums would cease to be, or I believe, just cease to be annoying. There's a lot of good information on forums that may rhyme with "scarf.tom" and "block walk", but the fanboys make it impossible for me to hang out there. Fanboys often lack manners, are rude, and are generally unpleasant. That's why I like THR, intelligent polite discourse (mostly.)
RT

jrdolall
October 6, 2012, 11:22 AM
A few years ago I was perusing the handguns at a LGS and one of the guys came over to ask if I needed help. I was looking at some plinkers and his attitude definitely let me know that he was not interested in selling me what I wanted. He actually said, "If it ain't a Glock it's a block".

To this day I do not own a Glock.

History.Doc
October 6, 2012, 01:43 PM
I'll answer with a probably maybe. If the enthusiasm seems warranted, I'll listen but if the fan doesn't make any good points I'll often think to myself, "Oh, this gun is for morons with bad taste, not me." I think fandom is sometimes good. I'll leave brands out of it but I own quite a few guns. There is one brand that I have literally never had a problem with. They deserve my fandom. Another brand has great customer service. Yet another used to be great and now they are bad. We all believe in sharing our experiences or we wouldn't be posting on message boards. I generally like hearing from fans. The quality of the commentary varies greatly though. I try to take it for what it's worth.

Titusdrake
October 6, 2012, 02:04 PM
Glocks and AR-15s...so sick of hearing how i NEED to buy a Glock and an AR-15 because they would be the best to have for a "gun battle"

EddieNFL
October 6, 2012, 05:09 PM
rustproofed

Nope.

I was sold until I saw that. ;)

jimmyraythomason
October 6, 2012, 07:32 PM
Just move on to material that better suits your approach to guns and shooting, that's all. That's good advice. I just wish the AR fanboys would do that instead of highjacking Mini-14 or AK threads.

EddieNFL
October 6, 2012, 07:53 PM
I just wish the AR fanboys would do that instead of highjacking Mini-14 or AK threads.

Some seek validation where ever they can.

56hawk
October 6, 2012, 07:57 PM
I have been turned off of two fanboy guns. The first is Glock. There are a lot of legitimate things I don't like about Glocks, but the main reason I still don't have one in my collection is because of the fanboys.

1911s are the one gun that I really liked before I joined this forum. Now because of all the fanboys here I'm pretty much anti 1911.

Bladesmith2000
October 6, 2012, 08:22 PM
I buy guns because of how I feel about them, not because of how others feel about them.

EddieNFL
October 6, 2012, 08:46 PM
I have been turned off of two fanboy guns. The first is Glock. There are a lot of legitimate things I don't like about Glocks, but the main reason I still don't have one in my collection is because of the fanboys.

1911s are the one gun that I really liked before I joined this forum. Now because of all the fanboys here I'm pretty much anti 1911.
Hang around firearm forums and you'll be gunless.

tarosean
October 6, 2012, 10:42 PM
Name me another autorifle that can do what the AR can do? has it got a .50bmg upper? Has it got a .22lr conversion unit? has it got a folding stock, drop in trigger jobs, readily available luminous irons, ambi safety, night scope, protected irons sights, return to zero scope base, see thru scope mounts? Is it concealable, readily broken down and worked on? does it have 1/2 dozen barrel lengths and rifling twists? Does it win matches to 600 yds? Does it group sub MOA? Is it available in nearly a dozen calibers? Are lower receivers, parts groups, mags, ammo readily available? Does it take the GI load,mags, parts? is it dark, rustproofed, available with a chromed chamber and bore? is the muzzle threaded for a can or flashhider? Very few rifles have even half of the good things that come with having an AR-15, guy.

Are you trying to be cute or is this exhibit A?

armarsh
October 7, 2012, 11:30 AM
I just ignore the fanboys. I skip threads, not guns.

There are plenty of people that think the best aspect of a gun is the fact that they own one.

IdahoSkies
October 7, 2012, 03:05 PM
+1 on the Glock.

However, when I wanted a hiking weapon and my needs pointed me toward something in a 10mm, I found myself with a Glock 29. I bought it because it fit my needs, but it took me months to swallow my bile and buy the sucker. I like it, I use it, but I almost didn't, and I wouldn't have if I had found a comparable weapon by another brand.

1-1 Banger
October 7, 2012, 08:06 PM
I refuse to buy anything endorsed by certain "tactical gurus" because I can't stand their overcompensating, egotistical, meat headed attitudes. I got called an idiot enough starting off in the infantry, I don't need to be called one because I don't use a particular piece of equipment or reload my weapon a certain way. That being said, I love my Glock, but I bought it when I was 15 so there's no way I'd ever part ways with it

lobo9er
October 7, 2012, 08:16 PM
has the fanboy phenomena ever had a reverse psychology effect on you

yep NRA. Question NRA in anyway and fanboy pops up right quick. Led me to JPFO and GOA. *I did not disparage NRA in anyway in that quote.

DavidMS
October 8, 2012, 08:37 AM
They just don't help me make choices. What I don't like about fanboys is that they think that they have the one true religion. No fanboy has turned me off of a product completely. They have tended to nudge me to look elsewhere first.

ForumSurfer
October 8, 2012, 09:15 AM
Yes, it has. Then I broke down and tried that particular brand...which now occupies my daily carry spot.

Every thing has fanboys. Here's proof:

www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/

David E
October 8, 2012, 09:43 AM
yep NRA. Question NRA in anyway and fanboy pops up right quick. Led me to JPFO and GOA. *I did not disparage NRA in anyway in that quote.

What questions have you asked of JPFO and GOA?

What were the responses?

308win
October 8, 2012, 09:51 AM
Nope - anyone who can think critically understands the value of fanboy's opinion.

lobo9er
October 8, 2012, 02:23 PM
What questions have you asked of JPFO and GOA?

not going to hi-jack this thread, It wasnt what I asked the NRA, it was questions about the NRA.

Red Tornado
October 8, 2012, 05:47 PM
Name me another autorifle that can do what the AR can do? has it got a .50bmg upper? Has it got a .22lr conversion unit? has it got a folding stock, drop in trigger jobs, readily available luminous irons, ambi safety, night scope, protected irons sights, return to zero scope base, see thru scope mounts? Is it concealable, readily broken down and worked on? does it have 1/2 dozen barrel lengths and rifling twists? Does it win matches to 600 yds? Does it group sub MOA? Is it available in nearly a dozen calibers? Are lower receivers, parts groups, mags, ammo readily available? Does it take the GI load,mags, parts? is it dark, rustproofed, available with a chromed chamber and bore? is the muzzle threaded for a can or flashhider? Very few rifles have even half of the good things that come with having an AR-15, guy.

Thanks Twinny, that's a perfect example of a video game commando fanboy response that keeps me off of arf.com. :D Love it!!!
RT

mberoose
October 8, 2012, 06:00 PM
Oh man, that twisted panty diatribe has me feelin goooood.

ALL HAIL INFALLIBLE AR-15!!!

Tallbald
October 8, 2012, 09:24 PM
I got so tired of hearing about Seinfeld the series, and Friends, that I avoided them at all costs. Then I found out when they stopped making them, they were really pretty good shows. But I too avoid running to the "latest greatest" things. Still have a plain cell phone without internet, and don't care a bit about the fancy ones..... Still don't even own an AR15 type black rifle.Don

lobo9er
October 8, 2012, 10:44 PM
Still don't even own an AR15 type black rifle

not sure having one or not having one is a bragging point. Both sound goofy to me.

ApplePie
October 8, 2012, 11:55 PM
If you refuse to buy a gun because you don't like certain people who own and love that gun, that's not really thinking for yourself, is it? That is being influenced by other people and ignoring the intrinsic qualities of that gun.

mokin
October 9, 2012, 12:16 AM
Funny thread.

I'm not sure where I stand on the issue. There is one certain firearm I'd pick up if not for the fanboys and the thought that I'd be associated with them. Plus, I have plenty of guns that are more than adequate for the role. On the other hand, there is a certain fanboy of said above firearm that is way more into shooting than hitting the target and consequently blames the gun.

Just sayin'

holdencm9
October 9, 2012, 09:10 AM
If you refuse to buy a gun because you don't like certain people who own and love that gun, that's not really thinking for yourself, is it? That is being influenced by other people and ignoring the intrinsic qualities of that gun.

Except the problem is the margins are so narrow between competing manufacturers of similar guns. Sometimes razor thin, if there is even a margin at all. Most of us will never push our weapons to the limit such that the aforementioned alleged margins (that may or may not exist) even come into play.

When viewed through that lens, it makes perfect sense to base your decision on other...intangibles. Same reason people pick guns for the way they look. Or company reputation, even if it means paying more for--arguably--the same exact thing. Pride of ownership...is not a real thing to anyone but you. So why not pick a gun based on your perception of that gun's typical owner. Real or perceived doesn't matter.

I know several people who own one of those fanboy-type pistols. Some of them shoot them very well, some....not so much. MOST defend their choice, regardless of how much research they did, or if they can even name 2 competitors' pistols. But only ONE took the time to truly research, test several, and picked the brand in question. I respect his choice....the others, who have only ever shot THEIR gun but feel they must argue that it is the best, that gets old. At least if they were just honest and admitted they didn't care to do much research and wanted to go with the "safe" choice, that is fine too. Even though nowadays, "safe" choices are quite plentiful.

ErikO
October 9, 2012, 01:59 PM
Nope, only change where I hang out online. Only two people determine my firearms purchases and she really wants me to buy whatever I want as long as the lights, water and gas are on. ;)

Ky Larry
October 10, 2012, 08:28 PM
I always do what the internet tells me.:rolleyes:

Ignition Override
October 12, 2012, 01:12 AM
When you turn 57 years old you will only buy what you enjoy, or need.

So many of us are thankful that both the many chic AR-15 selections, and costly accessories divert vast heaps of cash Away from M-1 Garands, Enfields, SKS etc.:) What a blessing.

Narwhal
October 12, 2012, 02:04 AM
Yes, the Springfield Armory Inc. Xd line of pistols.

Their slick marketing seems to convince their legions of fanbois that they've purchased the "best pistol evar" from the "first name in American firearms". They have Xd stickers all over their cars, constantly tout it as the best pistol ever, and are pretty in your face about it.

It's a $300 rebadged Croatian polymer pistol with "improvements". They're OK pistols, but I wouldn't pay $500 for one and then put a sticker on my car about it.

Kind of like Apple Computer/Electronics products. Fanbois keep me away from those too.

EddieNFL
October 12, 2012, 05:40 PM
I always do what the internet tells me.:rolleyes:
I realize that was a facetious remark, but it describes lots of folks.

AJBarney
October 12, 2012, 05:49 PM
Yes, the Springfield Armory Inc. Xd line of pistols.

Their slick marketing seems to convince their legions of fanbois that they've purchased the "best pistol evar" from the "first name in American firearms". They have Xd stickers all over their cars, constantly tout it as the best pistol ever, and are pretty in your face about it.

It's a $300 rebadged Croatian polymer pistol with "improvements". They're OK pistols, but I wouldn't pay $500 for one and then put a sticker on my car about it.

Kind of like Apple Computer/Electronics products. Fanbois keep me away from those too.
dOOd, Springfield Xm is the best u dont know dood anything else is a POS!

76shuvlinoff
October 12, 2012, 10:54 PM

I wouldn't put a sticker on my car / house/ bike / boat / whatever denoting any gun affiliation what so ever. BUT I do have an XD I treat like crap. It doesn't care.

Renegade Ziggy
October 13, 2012, 06:15 AM
Oh you mean mall ninjas? Sure they irk me at times, but I don't let their foolish behavior stop me from purchasing a particular firearm.

David E
October 13, 2012, 10:25 PM
Oh you mean mall ninjas? Sure they irk me at times, but I don't let their foolish behavior stop me from purchasing a particular firearm.

How about if they're..........trained?

308win
October 14, 2012, 07:50 AM
speaking of mall nijas, if Gecko45 recommends it you are a fool not to have seven of 'em.

siglite
October 14, 2012, 04:24 PM
Heheh... fanboy, non-fanboy, whatever. What cracks me up is seeing the fanboy-gear put to hard use in training. The guys at PFT tell you right at the beginning of their classes. "At the end of this class, a lot of gear will be in this trashcan right here, and probably some guns for sale."

They're usually right.

Intarwebs fandom doesn't seem to affect me much. I view it as advertising. People get psychologically attached to the crap they buy. They feel some weird compulsion to prove (often to the point of being absolute jerks about it) that THEY bought the BETTER crap than YOU bought.

Why they get emotionally invested in their gear choices doesn't make sense to me. I suspect it exposes underlying fears that they bought crap whose quality is truly unknown to them. I mean, how many of them have run their crap hard? How many have crawled through gravel and mud banging it off rocks, cars, walls, etc... and seen that their stuff still works? Few. And they know it. So, I guess they have to bray about it on the intarwebs. MY STUFF IS BETTER THAN YOUR STUFF.

And you know what? Fanbois have influenced me to buy stuff. They really have. But not here on THR or any other gun forum. When I've seen it work in training or non-square-range shooting, it's gotten my attention.

The more I learn, the more I start to understand a couple of things.

1. I don't know A DAMNED THING.
2. The intarwebs are full of crap.
3. Fanbois are clueless. Except those that aren't.

BHP FAN
October 14, 2012, 07:57 PM
well, I'm fifty four, and I've been into guns since I was ten, mostly walnut and steel, and fan boys turned me off of Glocks, but it was an unreasonable prejudice. I bought my first Glock this year. Nice lil' 26. I still think Brownings and 1911's are more my style, but the Glock is a well made tool.

If you enjoyed reading about "Has fanboy behavior ever turned you off a gun or accessory?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!