Words

PDA

Kobun
February 28, 2004, 02:36 PM
When dit the word "????" become so bad it has to be ????'ed out?

If you enjoyed reading about "Words" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
February 28, 2004, 04:03 PM
Those "words" look exactly alike to me! :)

PM me which word you are talking about and we'll see what you mean. Be sure to put a space somewhere in it or it will be ???? again.

Chuck Dye
February 28, 2004, 07:18 PM
I had to run a search to be sure I was not dreaming or, worse, suffering a senior moment, when I remembered the word filter (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21129) being turned off. Guess we, or too many of us, flunked the test.

I am not sure I want to know how long that experiment lasted.

Perhaps a means can be found to differentiate between the filter’s work and the post author’s work.

Mal H
February 28, 2004, 08:04 PM
"Perhaps a means can be found to differentiate between the filter’s work and the post author’s work."

Huh? Can you rephrase that?

Balog
February 28, 2004, 08:11 PM
Is the filter still in place?

Mal H
February 28, 2004, 08:26 PM
Yes, it was turned back on soon after the "experiment" began (see link in Huck's post). But it was not because the experiment was a failure. In general everyone remained ladies and gentlemen, that is, with the exception of that particular thread. ;)

Chuck Dye
February 28, 2004, 08:33 PM
"Perhaps a means can be found to differentiate between the filter’s work and the post author’s work."

As things stand, the reader has no way of knowing if the ???? in Kobun’s signature is Kobun’s original typing or the filter’s substitution. My assumption was that it is Kobun’s. Learning that it is the filter’s work tells me something of Kobun that I did not know. If the filter substitutes something, a character, a color, or a font etc., not available to posters, the reader will be able to distinguish what is the work of the poster and what the work of the filter. Just a thought.

Mal H
February 28, 2004, 08:41 PM
Gotcha. The filter is fairly straight forward and there is no capability to make a filtered set of characters a different color/font, etc. We specify a single character (*, ?, #, etc.) which is used to replace each letter in a filtered word. Oh, I'm positive our resident gurus could hack the code to do what you suggest, but it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Mike Irwin
March 1, 2004, 11:19 AM
So this isn't a case of the Federal government threatening to crack down because Janet Jackson showed her ???? on national TV? :)

tyme
March 1, 2004, 01:49 PM
No, this is a case of a private entity keeping things a bit more appropriate for Art's Grammaw by auto-obfuscating a few terms she considers inappropriate. :)

Huck Phinn, you want posting colors or fonts restricted for everyone because a few people might like a unique presentation of the bad-word-filter ???? replacements?
Learning that it is the filter’s work tells me something of Kobun that I did not know.
How's that? the fact that Kobun knew about a word filter and let the word filter obfuscate his bad word is somehow different than changing those characters to ? himself?

This is one of the reasons against having a filter, as far as I'm concerned. It's debatable whether there's any difference between allowing bad words and using bad-word obfuscation. Either way, there are bad words on the forum, most of which are readily recognizable either way. The special color/font suggestion only makes this worse, since there's then no doubt that there's a male fide bad word present.

Mike Irwin
March 1, 2004, 02:07 PM
Just wait.

The call for hyper regulation of the internet is coming.

The Feds are already making threatening noises about stepping into cable and satellite TV, which like the Internet, you have to pay to get.

Chuck Dye
March 2, 2004, 11:58 AM
When dit the word "????" become so bad it has to be ????'ed out?

The question suggests to me that the offending word was what Kobun typed and that he was surprised, and perhaps annoyed, at its obfuscation by the filter. Until that post, I had assumed the ???? was an act of self censorship, believing as I did that the filter was turned off many months ago. I now have additional insight to both the individual and the forum. Trivial? Yes.

If you enjoyed reading about "Words" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!